• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

It does when the truth hits your face that Hyouka barely has any character development.

All four of the main characters in Hyouka are either significantly different by the end of the series, or our understanding of them is different. I can't say the same for Chuunibyou, especially with the reversion of progress at the end.

Lone Island Syndrome II (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ep 11)

Bahhhh thought for sure it was a real murder, they played into it so well, even when Kyon was about to kill Koizumi, the utside cave part added to the believability

All the post mystery stuff was hilarious, Kyon and Koizumi's post discussion of these things are usually the best parts kind of reminds me of hyouka's Satoshi Houtarou.

Syrinx

Shit. three different volumes of Revolutionary Girl Utena on Amazon combining for over $100. That's some fucking investment. Maybe I should just order Vol.1 and see if it's my cup o' tea before I go all in.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lone Island Syndrome II (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ep 11)

Bahhhh thought for sure it was a real murder, they played into it so well, even when Kyon was about to kill Koizumi, the utside cave part added to the believability

All the post mystery stuff was hilarious, Kyon and Koizumi's post discussion of these things are usually the best parts kind of reminds me of hyouka's Satoshi Houtarou.

Oh man, I forget does the Endless Eight arc start after this one?

All four of the main characters in Hyouka are either significantly different by the end of the series, or our understanding of them is different. I can't say the same for Chuunibyou, especially with the reversion of progress at the end.

Significantly the same, you mean.

They all barely changed. Same "I'm curious at shit", same "I'm lazy don't bother me", I don't even know what to say for the other two because they were boring to begin with.
They didn't even bother with Oreki and Chitanda's relationship at the end. Oreki mumbles some complex crap and that the end of such a boring series.

Hidden-Melons.gif

#Anime

I've been meaning to go back and finish Milky Holmes for the longest time.

Syrinx

cajunator

Banned
Shit. three different volumes of Revolutionary Girl Utena on Amazon combining for over $100. That's some fucking investment. Maybe I should just order Vol.1 and see if it's my cup o' tea before I go all in.

I think I have a problem.
I see something that cost 100 bucks and just order it without even thinking about it.
I guess from years of 30$ per volume makes it seem a bargain.
Except I also do this with figurines.
I only hesitate if its over 200.

wonzo

Banned
Wow, the whole first season? That's actually really cool that they'd do that so people don't have to make an impulse investment.

Thanks for pointing me to this man. May check this out when I've finished all the stuff I'm working on now.
The first season's not really representative of Utena as a whole and I think the YouTube uploads don't have the absolutely fabulous ED animation included either but the later's not really that big a deal.

sonicmj1

It does when the truth hits your face that Hyouka barely has any character development.

Hyouka has character development all over the place. It's just not as telegraphed as Chuunibyou, which paints in broad strokes, where moments of character development are likely to trigger an onscreen emotional breakdown or a costume change.

From arc to arc, the characters in Hyouka gradually change, and Oreki starts the series as a very, very different person from where he ends the series. It's a series with pretty rich characters, but because it's got a more "realistic" focus, I'm not surprised that some mistake their lack of cartoonish mannerisms for being "uninteresting".

Syrinx

I think I have a problem.
I see something that cost 100 bucks and just order it without even thinking about it.
I guess from years of 30$ per volume makes it seem a bargain.
Except I also do this with figurines.
I only hesitate if its over 200.

I think you're all right as long as you don't have to tell the IRS, "Well I would have paid my federal income tax, but there was this absolutely adorable Charles figurine that I really just had to have."

Edit: Also, you probably have way more money than I do. Fucking textbooks.

cajunator

Banned
I think you're all right as long as you don't have to tell the IRS, "Well I would have paid my federal income tax, but there was this absolutely adorable Charles figurine that I really just had to have."

Oh that wont be an issue unless I suddenly decide to buy another car lol.
Im not that silly.

Hyouka has character development all over the place. It's just not as telegraphed as Chuunibyou, which paints in broad strokes, where moments of character development are likely to trigger an onscreen emotional breakdown or a costume change.

From arc to arc, the characters in Hyouka gradually change, and Oreki starts the series as a very, very different person from where he ends the series. It's a series with pretty rich characters, but because it's got a more "realistic" focus, I'm not surprised that some mistake their lack of cartoonish mannerisms for being "uninteresting".

He's still a lazy bum at the end of the series. Don't see how anything changed.

Edit: Let me take an example. After the movie episodes, Oreki supposedly "learned a lesson", but what he learned isn't evident in any episodes after. He learned nothing. He has not changed.

zeroshiki

Significantly the same, you mean.

They all barely changed. Same "I'm curious at shit", same "I'm lazy don't bother me", I don't even know what to say for the other two because they were boring to begin with.
They didn't even bother with Oreki and Chitanda's relationship at the end. Oreki mumbles some complex crap and that the end of such a boring series.

The fact that you are unable to view character development other than in cartoonish generalities is a failing on your part and not with the show or it's characters.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
just watched Senran Kagura for the 1st time....

just what is this garbage??? oh well unto other winter anime releases I go...

Syrinx

The first season's not really representative of Utena as a whole and I think the YouTube uploads don't have the absolutely fabulous ED animation included either but the later's not really that big a deal.

It may be worth it to make the investment later, but this is at least a good way for me to see if I want to make it. What do you mean that it isn't representative of Utena as a whole? Is it a matter of quality or style or what?

The fact that you are unable to view character development other than in cartoonish generalities is a failing on your part and not with the show or it's characters.

Right. And should I say you're just grasping at straws without providing evidence from the show?

Stop talking about me and talk about the show to prove your point.

Quasar

Tsuritama Episode 1

With that all said, I'm not sure how this flew under my radar. It really has me hooked.

Yeah. I started watching this because of all the best of recommendations here. I'd never even heard of it before and never saw it even mentioned in other online places I go.

I really like it so far. It brings back so many great memories for me as a kid fishing. Makes me want to go back to fishing as a hobby.

wonzo

Banned
It may be worth it to make the investment later, but this is at least a good way for me to see if I want to make it. What do you mean that it isn't representative of Utena as a whole? Is it a matter of quality or style or what?
Lets just say the real nature of the show doesn't become present until later on. Quality wise the show kinda drags a bit in the first arc compared to the later stuff. It's still pretty goddamn good though.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah. I started watching this because of all the best of recommendations here. I'd never even heard of it before and never saw it even mentioned in other online places I go.

I really like it so far. It brings back so many great memories for me as a kid fishing. Makes me want to go back to fishing as a hobby.

Yes indeed.
Living next to a swamp, Im a considerable fan of fishing in the spring/summer.

sonicmj1

He's still a lazy bum at the end of the series. Don't see how anything changed.

Edit: Let me take an example. After the movie episodes, Oreki supposedly "learned a lesson", but what he learned isn't evident in any episodes after. He learned nothing. He has not changed.

If Oreki hadn't changed, if he still followed his stated philosophy of, "If I don't have to, I won't; if I have to, I'll do it quickly," then he wouldn't have gone to Chitanda's festival at all. But he did. He became less selfish and opened himself up to new experiences.

As for the movie arc, Oreki changes, but not necessarily for the better. He's hurt by the experience, and tries to shut himself off from everyone. Not because he's lazy, but because he thinks he's useless. Episode 11.5 makes that more obvious, but it's still apparent from the material. The way he dives into the movie mystery is totally different from his apathy at the beginning of the festival.

In Chuunibyou, Yuuta's only character development is related to his relationship with Rikka, she ends the show pretty much exactly where she started it, and Isshiki and Kumin basically never changed at any point.

zeroshiki

Right. And should I say you're just grasping at straws without providing evidence from the show?

Stop talking about me and talk about the show to prove your point.

Huh? I talked about the first story arc. Chitanda was at first portrayed as this perfect anime heroine and we find out she's been harboring all this pain from her childhood regarding her uncle. Oreki too goes from uninterested slob to going more and more out of his way to help Chitanda solve her mystery. All that is in the first story arc. You can't say that's not development.

If Oreki hadn't changed, if he still followed his stated philosophy of, "If I don't have to, I won't; if I have to, I'll do it quickly," then he wouldn't have gone to Chitanda's festival at all. But he did. He became less selfish and opened himself up to new experiences.

As for the movie arc, Oreki changes, but not necessarily for the better. He's hurt by the experience, and tries to shut himself off from everyone. Not because he's lazy, but because he thinks he's useless. Episode 11.5 makes that more obvious, but it's still apparent from the material. The way he dives into the movie mystery is totally different from his apathy at the beginning of the festival.

In Chuunibyou, Yuuta's only character development is related to his relationship with Rikka, she ends the show pretty much exactly where she started it, and Isshiki and Kumin basically never changed at any point.

The only thing that Oreki developed was a hard-on. Oh wait, that was established back in the hot springs episode.
No, you're wrong. Chitanda always had power over Oreki that he can't say no to any of her requests. That has not changed. Oreki still remains lazy only driven by his hard-on for Chitanda.

I'll reserve my opinion until I watch 11.5, but Oreki did not learn anything from the movie eps. He still uses his friends as pawn even when he figured out everything himself. It's pretty evident in the festival, the teacher, and the valentines ep.

Chuunibyou is bit difficult as it's more comedy than anything, but Yuuta character developed greatly nearing the end when he realizes that the chuunibyou is something that you have to live with and shouldn't be ashamed of.
Rikka had always been trying to convince Yuuta to live with his chuunibyou, but as she fell in love, she made a mature decision to force herself into accepting what people wanted her to do.

The only thing that's wrong with Chuunibyou is that it was too short. The "lack of character development" is only felt because the other three main characters were too minor. If they had more episodes to expand their character history, it would heighten Yuuta's self-conflict with his chuunibyou and gradually make him realize that it's not a bad thing (rather than the sudden realization at the end when Rikka left).

Huh? I talked about the first story arc. Chitanda was at first portrayed as this perfect anime heroine and we find out she's been harboring all this pain from her childhood regarding her uncle. Oreki too goes from uninterested slob to going more and more out of his way to help Chitanda solve her mystery. All that is in the first story arc. You can't say that's not development.

If development means establishing characters, you're quite reaching there.

Syrinx

Lets just say the real nature of the show doesn't become present until later on. Quality wise the show kinda drags a bit in the first arc compared to the later stuff. It's still pretty goddamn good though.

I hate it when people start off responses this way because I never know if there's some other meaning behind it that I'm aware of and then I feel dumb.

Not to chastise you or anybody else. Hell, I do it sometimes.

Steroyd

Rikka had always been trying to convince Yuuta to live with his chuunibyou, but as she fell in love, she made a mature decision to force herself into accepting what people wanted her to do.

No she didn't make a mature decision, it was only when the person who she looked upto and understood her chuunibuyo, told her to grow up, was when she made the change.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure! 46:

okay, so
the Bad End Precure came and went rather disappointingly. No sakuga fights and it was essentially a rushed version of the "face your dark side" tests we've seen done better in other Precure seasons.

But you know what? I ain't even mad, because NEXT FUCKING WEEK

HAS THIS (spoilz -
UPGRADE FROM GORILLA CLOWN TO GIANT FUCKING CLOWN DEMON YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
)

AND THIS (ULTRA SPOILZ -
THIS SHIT SHOULD BE MANDATORY FOR ALL FUTURE ENDGAMES
)

AND THE POTENTIAL TO HAVE SAKUGA AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN EPISODE 23

I did not see you-know-what coming.
pretty fucking cool that the MacGuffin was actually fake (?) for once and just a ruse to make the villains too afraid to harm the mascot/summon the Precure to protect the mascot. Royal Queen is a worthless non-character but that was kind of neat.

I liked Hyouka enough to put in my top ten of 2012.

It's on my "top ten", well, the bottom of the three animes that I watched.

Hyouka has cute girls, nice drawing, well animated too. But anyone who says it has character development is quite wrong. Poorly edited series as well that reminded me of the Haruhi fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom