• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Everyone should just all get along and eat some mochi

snapshot_1933_20130114_131548_zps989c525e.jpg

False. Chitanda asks him directly to solve the mystery. She goes full "Kininarimasu!" but he refuses. He doesn't want to deal with the responsibility of it, and he tells her that. Irisu is the one to raise the "observer" possibility. She's the force that draws him in and encourages him to figure it out, which is why the ultimate "betrayal" hurts him so much.

Not really. Oreki didn't say no, but attempted to persuade Chitanda out of it. He's done tricks like that before. Same thing.

Completely false. He decides to go to the library entirely on his own. Nobody suggests that to him, and nobody would have cared if he had dropped the whole thing. Everyone is completely shocked when he raises the idea of going to the library.

He wanted to do it on his own because it would have caused him more trouble if more people knew about it. He said that to Chitanda at the end.

Who knows what Satoshi would have done with the information and make Oreki into some newspaper headline. It was Satoshi who challenged his "teacher likes helicopter" idea anyway.

That's not what I'm talking about. It's not about how much he trusts other people, it's about how much he trusts himself. His confidence is badly shaken by the film arc, and he's depressed as a result.

He doesn't learn a positive lesson from the film arc, and it doesn't instantly turn him into a better person. I'm not sure why you thought he learned something like that.

Uh he's always been like that depressed look. Not sure how you can tell his ep1 behaviour from his ep12 behaviour. He avoided work where possible and kept lazy. Same as always.

Maybe I'm being unfair to Rikka's development, because the confidence she gains is definitely worth something. The reason I was saying what I said despite
her finally saying goodbye to her father
is that it's hard to tell how that's changed her. Sure, it's at the end of the series, but for things to seem to return to the status quo ignores the real causes of her chuunibyou. You can't say that chuunibyou is "being true to your imagination," while simultaneously saying that everyone, in a way, has chuunibyou. It's the same contradiction that lets you say, "Rikka was right about chuunibyou all along," while ignoring the low self-esteem and loneliness that plagued her at the start and middle of the series.

I guess that stuff is more an issue of the writing than the character development.

Rikka couldn't be true to herself
at the funeral
. That's why she needed the chuunibyou to put her memories to closure. That's why she admired Yuuta's courage to be true to himself despite what society thinks of him.
A person who doesn't cry when someone close to them pass on is not accepting one self.

With everything I'm saying, it feels more like you weren't paying attention during Hyouka. You established your view of Oreki a few episodes in (he has a boner for Chitanda!) and then viewed everything he did through that lens instead of seeing what was actually happening. You keep misrepresenting events to fit that view, instead of fitting your conception of Oreki to the actual events in the show.

If you'd like to point out the times when Oreki developed his character over the course of the 22 episodes, be my guest. I can name a few points, but a lot of it are completely minor that leading up to the end of the show, it amounted to nothing between the relationship of Chitanda and Oreki.

You can say I'm forcing my thoughts into the facts, but the same can be said for people doing the opposite. The real fact is that Chuunibyou makes its character development very obvious leading to it to be more popular where Hyouka is an over-melodramatic and hard to understand that it'll take several university lectures to figure out what's it all about.

Yeah... but the first 50 episodes of One Piece are better than the ones airing now. The pacing and fidelity to the adaptation were much better what we have these days... I know it was full of derpfaces and bad backgrounds (and I don't even know if they were bad, it was on par with what was airing at that time). But we have these now too.

If they have better budget now, why the hell it doesn't deliver? It's not a nostalgia thing, I rewatched these episodes recently and they feel much better than most of the recent episodes.

Because when they got around episode 205 they finally went HD and 50 eps later they got really close to the manga . At this point the pacing fell appart and they did all they could to gain time ( including reducing the episodes lenght , making the opening 2m30 instead of 1m30) adding 1m30 of introduction on the OP world + 30 sec of recap from the previous episode ! .... Now they entered a state of "do what we can given the time we have " and they can only polish the scenes/animations for specific episodes and specials. I can only say good job , when you realise how close they were during enies lobby and thriller bark compared to the manga at the time. Yet they still managed to deliver on both finales perfectly .

The old pacing ( before ep 196 ) was perfect ... but that's just impossible to do , unless you go and do a 100 ep filler hell ( like naruto did ) and i don't want that for one piece.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The old pacing ( before ep 196 ) was perfect ... but that's just impossible to do , unless you go and do a 100 ep filler hell ( like naruto did ) and i don't want that for one piece.

Just imagine all of the little orphan girls that hate pirates.

The endless eight pages of Hyouka discussion.

another proof that #animeGAF is living into animeland.. we even replicated our own endless eight !
Soon we'll forget and it'll restart at the next tamako market episode ! Trully a devious loop

Just imagine all of the little orphan girls that hate pirates.

It already happenned . Remember the Apis Arc ? Yes bad filler to gain more time aren't good for one piece.( especially featuring orphans girls )

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It already happenned . Remember the Apis Arc ? Yes bad filler to gain more time aren't good for one piece.( especially featuring orphans girls )

I made the joke because there are so many One Piece filler arcs that involve that particular stock character. For those that are current with the anime, how did the Z's Ambition filler turn out? Was it at least better than the Little East Blue stuff for the last movie? (one would hope so considering that was the worst shit ever)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ixion Saga DT 14:

It always comes back to balls. Kon just mercilessly fucking with
Pet-kun
after finding out his secret made this pretty fun.

I actually caught up with the show from episode five onward since yesterday, and damn did it ever hit its stride. Kon's video game-themed creation story in episode eight was pretty much the pinnacle, but it's been consistently funny in its own offbeat, crass, subversive way. Erec is a man of constant sorrow. He's the greatest.

I made the joke because there are so many One Piece filler arcs that involve that particular stock character. For those that are current with the anime, how did the Z's Ambition filler turn out? Was it at least better than the Little East Blue stuff for the last movie? (one would hope so considering that was the worst shit ever)

It was pretty bad, but it did give us a giant that ate a devil fruit, so that's a plus.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
oh, and before I waste any more of my precious backlog season catching up on fall shows, Robotics;Notes is the only thing that I'm still not sure whether or not I want to catch up on. Is Kaito still a douchebag? Has it descended into haremshit? Did shit ever get real in a good way? I'm trusting you guys.

It was pretty bad, but it did give us a giant that ate a devil fruit, so that's a plus.

will they just freaking make it to Elbaf already? I guess that's probably endgame stuff as it coincides with Usopp's dreams being realized, and, well, I'm scared as hell of the death flags that are probably going to get raised left and right at that point. Couldn't handle it yet.

trejo

oh, and before I waste any more of my precious backlog season catching up on fall shows, Robotics;Notes is the only thing that I'm still not sure whether or not I want to catch up on. Is Kaito still a douchebag? Has it descended into haremshit? Did shit ever get real in a good way? I'm trusting you guys.

Kaito is around 40% less of a douchebag. 50% on a good episode. It hasn't quite reached haremshit status yet. Shit is constantly teasing about getting real but it never does.

Honestly, I'd hold off for now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Not really.

No.

No.

Kaito is around 40% less of a douchebag. 50% on a good episode. It hasn't quite reached haremshit status yet. Shit is constantly teasing about getting real but it never does.

Honestly, I'd hold off for now.

Sounds like I should just do two-ish episodes a week and be caught up around time for it to end.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sounds like I should just do two-ish episodes a week and be caught up around time for it to end.
That's your takeaway? My recommendation would be to stay away, but I guess you can head deeper into it if you are feeling daring.

Nafe

Crest of the Stars (Sekai no Monshou)

Episode 4

9PGuI.jpg

That was a close one! Due to a sudden emergency onboard the ship the two main characters almost bump into each other as Jinto tries to leaves his quarters and Lafiel comes to summon him. They're only momentarily startled whereas if this were made today there might have been the whole "fan service type characters falling on top of each other with embarrassed expressions" scene. Thankfully Crest of the Stars is too classy for that.

Haha, that's kind of weird. Aside from a few shots right at the very beginning of the episode that light flare effect is again more subdued to me. It's like it's off and on every second episode. It's still definitely there as different shots maybe have a light source in a corner or along the top edge of the shot but it just seemed a lot less intrusive this time again.

Personally I thought at least the character art was pretty good this episode. Everything really seemed on model and well done. The general environment shots were maybe more bland though as a large portion of the episode took place aboard the bridge or command room of the ship Gosroth.

The wording, or maybe how things were done, was maybe a little strange to me though. There was a scene in the last episode where the captain of the ship, Lexshue, mentioned to Jinto about the effects of entering their own closed space and that they couldn't actually determine their location and things were more of an approximation or educated guess. In this episode though the ships sensors pick up some other sub space pockets and at times they'll use more approximations such as "the size is about this" but other times it came across as more exact where they were listing off what angle from the ship they were positioned in and the distance and all that.

I was wondering if, even though they're in their own subspace, that since these other ships are now as well,instead of being in normal space,that allows them to ascertain certain things about them with more accuracy? or perhaps was this just a bit of an oversight by the author or simply that things really were supposed to be more approximations and just came across like they were speaking in more exact terms. In the long run I suppose it's not a big deal but just something that crossed my mind due to the focus on the previous scene and how this episodes general plot unfolded.

Other than that though I don't think I have anything else really of interest to mention as it was all straight forward. Things continue to move at a slower pace,which may change next episode though, but again, that doesn't really bother me personally. Brief snippets of information regarding world building that were further introduced this episode were interesting or there was some slight re-emphasis on other points, such as Lafiel mentioning Abh lifespans can be much longer than regular humans.

I suppose the last thing of interest was how calm most of the bridge crew seemed to be despite the potential seriousness of the unfolding situation. Up until the point the communication officer got a non-response confirming hostile intention anyway.

I wonder how the situation will unfold in the next episode.

Its still quite good and Kai is pretty awesome. Subaru too and a few of the developments have been really compelling. After blast of tempest my second most anticipated anime each week.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's your takeaway? My recommendation would be to stay away, but I guess you can head deeper into it if you are feeling daring.

It sounded like a mixed response, which is usually good enough to keep me from dropping something completely.

Looking at my MAL I have more to catch up on from Fall than I realized (Hidamari, Sukitte, the final 1-2 episodes of a few things) so yeah, I guess this goes on the backburner/dropped if I don't hear good things in the next few weeks.

Less douchy.

No haremshit.

Teases the shit get real stuff every now and then. It's still switching between the whole SCIENCE stuff and the robot building like in every episode.

Westlo

Oh god that pic is cute.
Nothing will top the little scene where she blushes and snatches her hairpiece back.
That was god tier.

Nah man, you aint seen nothing yet, Kougyoku da goddess is the best in the next arc.

Magi

Seriously, the more I watch this show, the more I like it. It's no 12 Kingdoms (this story feels less reverent, less epic and the world less realized) but its hitting some of the notes and that's just enough to keep me interested. I kind of watched episode 6 to 13 in two sittings so that may have skewed it for me as well.

Magi gets more epic as it goes along, pretty much after the point the anime will end at is when it starts to really hit those notes.

Those tits are definitely Arsene Sama's... was that her disguised? Lol #anime.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Tamako Market 1 !

IT WAS AWESOME!! Okay... I'll admit that before I started this I had a double whiskey, and then a third, and by the OP I was on my fourth, so my feelings of pleasure and joy might haev amplified how I received it, but still! You guys are tirppinr, this was so good. For starters it was reaaaaally cute, but not ecchi, so it was extremely[ wife/girlfriend freiendly. You could think lewd thoughts about Tamako or Anko the entire time, and your wife won't be suspicious! The bird (Deru?) is really cute as well. The pacing was spot on, and as expected the character animation and cinematopgrahy was superb!! It made me really happy!! ALSO, the OP and ED were excellent, and I loved all the quick shots of the kitchen and what goes on into making the mochi! I got so hunrgy that I'm gonna go downtownt tomorrow to the Mochi shop in Little Toky and get some fresh strawberry mochi from Fugetsudo! yall dont een know! :D :Dd

9.9/10! I think

cajunator

Banned
At least Hyouka discussions is better than SAO dicussions.

I cannot disagree with that.

Toilet discussion was more entertaining than both.

I cannot disagree with that either.

I just finished Madoka.

697322_o.gif

It...*sob* was...amazing WAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Yes indeed.
Madoka Magica is an absolutely spectacular series.
I love absolutely everything about it.
Shaft's absolute high point (not counting Hidamari Sketch)

Mature

Tamako Market 1 !

IT WAS AWESOME!! Okay... I'll admit that before I started this I had a double whiskey, and then a third, and by the OP I was on my fourth, so my feelings of pleasure and joy might haev amplified how I received it, but still! You guys are tirppinr, this was so good. For starters it was reaaaaally cute, but not ecchi, so it was extremely[ wife/girlfriend freiendly. You could think lewd thoughts about Tamako or Anko the entire time, and your wife won't be suspicious! The bird (Deru?) is really cute as well. The pacing was spot on, and as expected the character animation and cinematopgrahy was superb!! It made me really happy!! ALSO, the OP and ED were excellent, and I loved all the quick shots of the kitchen and what goes on into making the mochi! I got so hunrgy that I'm gonna go downtownt tomorrow to the Mochi shop in Little Toky and get some fresh strawberry mochi from Fugetsudo! yall dont een know! :D :Dd

9.9/10! I think
Listen up licensors, this is back of the box material.

Keyllness. Actually that's awful forget everything!

Shame there isn't more toilet flushing sakuga around and anime based on Australia so we can complain on them getting the swirl wrong.

+100 points to the first person who presents toilet flushing sakuga.

cajunator

Banned
Nah man, you aint seen nothing yet, Kougyoku da goddess is the best in the next arc.

Magi gets more epic as it goes along, pretty much after the point the anime will end at is when it starts to really hit those notes.

Those tits are definitely Arsene Sama's... was that her disguised? Lol #anime.

You mean she gets cuter than that?

Joe Molotov

I need to stop reading this thread so much. I'm trying to watch Cardcaptor Sakura, but I just keep seeing yuri and NTR all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom