• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maedhros

Episode of Nami

Ooooohh! Blood! Goddamit, I forgot the last time we've seen so much blood in One fucking Piece! Great adaptation. And it was aired on TV too... so what's the excuse of Toei? Why the hell did they toned down the violence on their TV broadcast, since this special was on the same timeslot?

Episode of Nami

Ooooohh! Blood! Goddamit, I forgot the last time we've seen so much blood in One fucking Piece! Great adaptation. And it was aired on TV too... so what's the excuse of Toei? Why the hell did they toned down the violence on their TV broadcast, since this special was on the same timeslot?

I thought it had aired on a different day and time than the usual episodes.

Magi

Seriously, the more I watch this show, the more I like it. It's no 12 Kingdoms (this story feels less reverent, less epic and the world less realized) but its hitting some of the notes and that's just enough to keep me interested. I kind of watched episode 6 to 13 in two sittings so that may have skewed it for me as well.

Narag

Mad Bull 34 1

XX1mzl.png
eLtnMl.png
jc8A4l.png

dat virgin discount. Never thought I'd say Jojo was only the second manliest thing I'd seen today.

sonicmj1

The only thing that Oreki developed was a hard-on. Oh wait, that was established back in the hot springs episode.
No, you're wrong. Chitanda always had power over Oreki that he can't say no to any of her requests. That has not changed. Oreki still remains lazy only driven by his hard-on for Chitanda.

Going back to the movie arc, Chitanda asks him to figure out the mystery in episode 8, and he refuses her directly. It takes Irisu's coaxing to pull him in. He's not that simple a character.

Or, for example, the helicopter mystery is done entirely on Oreki's initiative, not Chitanda's.

I'll reserve my opinion until I watch 11.5, but Oreki did not learn anything from the movie eps. He still uses his friends as pawn even when he figured out everything himself. It's pretty evident in the festival, the teacher, and the valentines ep.

That wasn't the lesson he learned from the movie episodes. He thought he was selfish to use them because they expected him to be able to deliver the truth, and he couldn't. He has to learn later that just because he might be wrong doesn't mean he has to shut out his friends for fear of disappointing them. That's part of his larger arc of opening himself up to the world and other people.

Chuunibyou is bit difficult as it's more comedy than anything, but Yuuta character developed greatly nearing the end when he realizes that the chuunibyou is something that you have to live with and shouldn't be ashamed of.
Rikka had always been trying to convince Yuuta to live with his chuunibyou, but as she fell in love, she made a mature decision to force herself into accepting what people wanted her to do.

The only thing that's wrong with Chuunibyou is that it was too short. The "lack of character development" is only felt because the other three main characters were too minor. If they had more episodes to expand their character history, it would heighten Yuuta's self-conflict with his chuunibyou and gradually make him realize that it's not a bad thing (rather than the sudden realization at the end when Rikka left).

The weird thing about Yuuta and Rikka's development, at least at the end, is that it winds up hidden at the end. Yuuta learns a lesson, but how does that change him? Rikka goes on an enormous emotional journey, but she almost literally ends the series at the exact same point from where she started.

The main characters do develop in Chuunibyou, and I enjoyed the series. But character development isn't exactly its forte (or even its primary aim). I agree that it'd have been better if the minor characters had developed to encourage a gradual change in Yuuta, but that's not the series we got. Hyouka, on the other hand, fits that much more closely.

Branduil

It's on my "top ten", well, the bottom of the three animes that I watched.

Hyouka has cute girls, nice drawing, well animated too. But anyone who says it has character development is quite wrong. Poorly edited series as well that reminded me of the Haruhi fiasco.

You're entitled to your own opinions on Hyouka, but not your own facts. There's no reasonable analysis of Hyouka which can conclude that character development is not present.

Episode of Nami

got more popular so they got more freedom ..and besides they also had way more budget ..the first 50 eps of OP were really low on the budget. it was most obvious in the backgrounds .

Smile Precure! 46:
okay, so
the Bad End Precure came and went rather disappointingly. No sakuga fights and it was essentially a rushed version of the "face your dark side" tests we've seen done better in other Precure seasons.

But you know what? I ain't even mad, because NEXT FUCKING WEEK

HAS THIS (spoilz -
UPGRADE FROM GORILLA CLOWN TO GIANT FUCKING CLOWN DEMON YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
)

AND THIS (ULTRA SPOILZ -
THIS SHIT SHOULD BE MANDATORY FOR ALL FUTURE ENDGAMES
)

AND THE POTENTIAL TO HAVE SAKUGA AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN EPISODE 23

I did not see you-know-what coming.
pretty fucking cool that the MacGuffin was actually fake (?) for once and just a ruse to make the villains too afraid to harm the mascot/summon the Precure to protect the mascot. Royal Queen is a worthless non-character but that was kind of neat.

i wasn't expecting that ...like not at all

Milamber

Type Mercury (ORT) = Ado Edem > Type Jupiter ≥ Type Saturn > The Six Sisters ≥ Type Pluto > Type Moon (Crimson Moon) = ArcheType Earth (Arcueid) ≥ Type Venus > Balor of the Evil Eye ≥ Arcueid (50% (post Roa's death)) > Primordial Demons > Primate Murder > Angra Mainyu > Zelretch (young) > Counter Guardian Archer > Gilgamesh > Arcueid (30%) > Lancelot (F-15) > Dark Sakura > Dark Saber > Saber > Zero Caster's Sea Demon > Lancelot > 5th Berserker > Dark Berserker ≥ Original Roa > 17th Roa (Elesia) > 4th Rider > Merem Solomon > 5th Lancer ≥ 4th Lancer = Archer ≥ 5th Rider > 4th Caster > 5th Caster = Nrvnqsr > Clairvoyant Fujino = Kurogiri > Kouma > 4th Assassin > 5th Assassin > Aoko > Barthomeloi ≥ Arcueid (6%) > Kojirou = Ciel ≥ Kotomine (young) = "Ryougi Shiki" = Soren Araya (within the Ogawa Building) > Gun God (Black Barrel) > Night of Wallachia ≥ Touko = Kayneth El-Melloi > Leysritt > Sion Tatari = Melty Blood Satsuki = R. Shiki ≥ Akiha = Asagami Fujino = 18th Roa > Tohno SHIKI = Alba = Heaven's Feel Shirou = Kiri > Nanaya Shiki = Reinforced Kuzuki > Sion = UBW Shirou = Waver = Bazett > Avenger = Rin = Luvia = Kotomine > Zouken > Kiritsugu > Irisviel > Maiya = Tsukihime Satsuki = Lio = Avalon Shirou = Ilya = Kariya > Sakura > Len > Kirie = Caren = Meruka > Azaka > The Dead = Possessed Corpse = Misayo = Dragon Tooth Warrior = Fuji-nee > Gun God (unequipped) > Fake Shiki = Ryuunosuke ≥ Tomoe > Keita San ≥ Shinji > Hisui = Kohaku

ctrl+f, Sella
None
ctrl+f, Leysritt
In the middle

This list sucks. They should be on top. If only because their doujin versions get me so hot and bothered.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 14

The posing. Oh god, Caeser added a new level of fabulous to this. I knew it was coming, but this is better than I could have hoped for.

Also, dat pigeon mouth.

Maedhros

got more popular so they got more freedom ..and besides they also had way more budget ..the first 50 eps of OP were really low on the budget. it was most obvious in the backgrounds .

Yeah... but the first 50 episodes of One Piece are better than the ones airing now. The pacing and fidelity to the adaptation were much better what we have these days... I know it was full of derpfaces and bad backgrounds (and I don't even know if they were bad, it was on par with what was airing at that time). But we have these now too.

If they have better budget now, why the hell it doesn't deliver? It's not a nostalgia thing, I rewatched these episodes recently and they feel much better than most of the recent episodes.

Going back to the movie arc, Chitanda asks him to figure out the mystery in episode 8, and he refuses her directly. It takes Irisu's coaxing to pull him in. He's not that simple a character.

Or, for example, the helicopter mystery is done entirely on Oreki's initiative, not Chitanda's.

Irisu didn't coax him. Oreki knows it's less painful to be indirectly involved by listening to the theories as he has not dedicated to solving it at that point. Chitanda would have forced him. Same crap.

Oreki took the "initiative" on the helicopter mystery because he doesn't want to make a bigger scene than it is. He put himself into that position by saying something that made him look like a liar. Nothing more and nothing interesting.

That wasn't the lesson he learned from the movie episodes. He thought he was selfish to use them because they expected him to be able to deliver the truth, and he couldn't. He has to learn later that just because he might be wrong doesn't mean he has to shut out his friends for fear of disappointing them. That's part of his larger arc of opening himself up to the world and other people.

No, he didn't trust anyone else to solve it but himself. If he did, then his friend's wouldn't have told him his mistakes. That is what he suppose to learn. It's that simple and nothing else.

The weird thing about Yuuta and Rikka's development, at least at the end, is that it winds up hidden at the end. Yuuta learns a lesson, but how does that change him? Rikka goes on an enormous emotional journey, but she almost literally ends the series at the exact same point from where she started.

The main characters do develop in Chuunibyou, and I enjoyed the series. But character development isn't exactly its forte (or even its primary aim). I agree that it'd have been better if the minor characters had developed to encourage a gradual change in Yuuta, but that's not the series we got. Hyouka, on the other hand, fits that much more closely.

Uuuuh Rikka was able to
let go of her father's death.
It's like you don't even understand what chuunibyou is. It's being true to yourself and your imagination. Rikka's view on that didn't need to change because she was right all along. She changed Yuuta, but it took Yuuta's realization to help Rikka let go.

You're entitled to your own opinions on Hyouka, but not your own facts. There's no reasonable analysis of Hyouka which can conclude that character development is not present.

I never said there is none. I've stated that it has very little. Getting a boner is certainly character development.

If I did say it has absolutely no story, which I'm not interested enough to look at all my previous post, then I'm sorry. I'll say it again, 1 ep of Chuunibyou has more character development than the entire Hyouka series.

shawnlreed

I see that all 124 episodes of Yawara have finally been subbed.
Now I can finally see how it ends.
I bought that first DVD set from Animeigo, but they never followed through with anything after episode 40.

Maedhros

Budget cant be the only thing to determine quality. Its not like fishman island is better than early one piece

That's true, the quality of the source material matters too. But since Saobondy, the anime looks like crap for me, except on some key moments (sakuga?).

You didn't like Fishman Island? So, is there anyone at all who liked it?

I thought it was the lamest major arc in the entire manga

It's the worst arc ever made in One Piece. Shit SUCKS really hard. Up there with Davy's Fight Arc...

Narag

Yeah... but the first 50 episodes of One Piece is better than the ones airing now. The pacing and fidelity to the adaptation were much better what we have these days... I know it was full of derpfaces and bad backgrounds (and I don't even know if they were bad, it was on par with what was airing at that time). But we have these now too.

cwarrior said the backgrounds were a deliberate decision to evoke a dreamlike/storybook quality iirc. I think that's what he said because I complained about them too as they're really hit or miss.

edit: Found the quote:

cwarrior said:
that's a Konosuke Uda thing, the series director, he loves using story book/dream like fade backgrounds on certain scenes, didn't make sense in that shot imo but didn't add or takeaway anything, later it's used during touching flashback moments with part of background being draw in a different style which makes it look really good.

zeroshiki

But you should stop talking about his baseless assertions and start talking about the show! he says so so you should follow!

Maedhros

cwarrior said the backgrounds were a deliberate decision to evoke a dreamlike/storybook quality iirc. I think that's what he said because I complained about them too as they're really hit or miss.

Oh, thanks for the information...

Holy shit... this OVA couldn't be aired on the usual slot... I forgot how strong some of the scenes were... "ARRRRLONNNG, ARRRLONG, ARLONG!" *stabs the tattoo*

Shit is hard to watch without getting angry and punching the monitor!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So, I think I'm probably going watch Wolf Children again in cinemas on the 24th or something. Take that suckers! really excited about experiencing it all over again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"What? Don't be silly, we have no idea what you're talking about, right guys?

ibfMnXB6H93XbI.gif
"

To this day, I still picture you as makoto doing that "aw hell naw!" animation.

sonicmj1

Irisu didn't coax him. Oreki knows it's less painful to be indirectly involved by listening to the theories as he has not dedicated to solving it at that point. Chitanda would have forced him. Same crap.

False. Chitanda asks him directly to solve the mystery. She goes full "Kininarimasu!" but he refuses. He doesn't want to deal with the responsibility of it, and he tells her that. Irisu is the one to raise the "observer" possibility. She's the force that draws him in and encourages him to figure it out, which is why the ultimate "betrayal" hurts him so much.

Oreki took the "initiative" on the helicopter mystery because he doesn't want to make a bigger scene than it is. He put himself into that position by saying something that made him look like a liar. Nothing more and nothing interesting.

Completely false. He decides to go to the library entirely on his own. Nobody suggests that to him, and nobody would have cared if he had dropped the whole thing. Everyone is completely shocked when he raises the idea of going to the library.

No, he didn't trust anyone else to solve it but himself. If he did, then his friend's wouldn't have told him his mistakes. That is what he suppose to learn. It's that simple and nothing else.

That's not what I'm talking about. It's not about how much he trusts other people, it's about how much he trusts himself. His confidence is badly shaken by the film arc, and he's depressed as a result.

He doesn't learn a positive lesson from the film arc, and it doesn't instantly turn him into a better person. I'm not sure why you thought he learned something like that.

Uuuuh Rikka was able to
let go of her father's death.
It's like you don't even understand what chuunibyou is. It's being true to yourself and your imagination. Rikka's view on that didn't need to change because she was right all along. She changed Yuuta, but it took Yuuta's realization to help Rikka let go.

Maybe I'm being unfair to Rikka's development, because the confidence she gains is definitely worth something. The reason I was saying what I said despite
her finally saying goodbye to her father
is that it's hard to tell how that's changed her. Sure, it's at the end of the series, but for things to seem to return to the status quo ignores the real causes of her chuunibyou. You can't say that chuunibyou is "being true to your imagination," while simultaneously saying that everyone, in a way, has chuunibyou. It's the same contradiction that lets you say, "Rikka was right about chuunibyou all along," while ignoring the low self-esteem and loneliness that plagued her at the start and middle of the series.

I guess that stuff is more an issue of the writing than the character development.

I never said there is none. I've stated that it has very little. Getting a boner is certainly character development.

If I did say it has absolutely no story, which I'm not interested enough to look at all my previous post, then I'm sorry. I'll say it again, 1 ep of Chuunibyou has more character development than the entire Hyouka series.

With everything I'm saying, it feels more like you weren't paying attention during Hyouka. You established your view of Oreki a few episodes in (he has a boner for Chitanda!) and then viewed everything he did through that lens instead of seeing what was actually happening. You keep misrepresenting events to fit that view, instead of fitting your conception of Oreki to the actual events in the show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Smile Precure - 46

That was kind of a let down. I was hoping
their fights with the bad end Precures would have continued on for a bit longer. I loved Nao and her evil twin's battle stage.

Next week looks pretty amazing though, get hype.

Syrinx

Darker Than Black 19

So Hei's contact was
that Chiriko (or whatever) girl that killed Huang's old partner.
This is a rather odd development. Course, that begs the question as to how Huang knew her in the first place or why she did what she did. That's one freaky and terrifying power she has. Good to see firsthand what Huang is doing involved with contractors and the Syndicate. I always kind of felt he was just there, not really knowing who the hell he was or why he was doing the job he was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom