• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

I hope it went like

KADOKAWA: sup we need a new haruhi

KYOANI: I don't know, can we work on something else?

KADOKAWA: no

KYOANI: okay...

And the rest was eight.

zeroshiki

I'd love to know the thought process that went into making Endless Eight.
Like, who thought it would be a good idea to do 8 complete episodes of the same thing?

Quasar

There's always a lot of harems to go around though. The brother fucking/don't fuck your sister harem shows and that chocolate election show immediately come to mind. Extremely disposable shows that are in and out and don't really aim to make a lasting impression. It seems like Amagami SS+ was the weird show that came back from nowhere to do a second and ultimately unnecessary second season..

Bah. I really liked season 2 of amagami, probably as much as the first. Hell I'd take more if I could get it.

Cwarrior

Didn't One Piece stop doing ending songs/animation so they could have a longer OP, thus balancing things out with no real change? Or did it affect the main episode runtime too?

Yeah, they eliminated EDs entirely years ago, and the OPs were better for it. That didn't affect runtime, but the advent of five-minute recaps did!

There actually 30secs your off by 4min 30seconds.

Normal openings are 1min 30secs and ed are 1min 30secs.

One piece opening is 2min 30secs and no ed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You didn't know your brother was going to be the star of the harem show based on a light novel based on AnimeGAF.

"My Brother Can't Possibly be this much of an Angel Beats fan"

It couldn't be worse than the one that I wrote, "My Sister Can't Possibly Be This Shounenbro", that was abruptly canceled when she could only tolerate twenty-something episodes of Fairy Tail.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Your sister has good taste.

ibn3RnCsU32YJZ.gif

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 1

That was a somewhat interesting and ultimately decent introductory episode, but it was also surprisingly flawed and a bit monotonous, as this episode largely served to establish the setting and introduce the nuances within the economics, which was quite enjoyable, if not a bit mundane.

The economic principles and the history of their world have been fairly straightforward, but also relatively complex. As such, the heightened examination of the complexities surrounding economics was highly intriguing, but, so far, those informative conversations partially lack the compelling and enjoyable interactions that heavily contributed to the considerable effectiveness of those found in Spice and Wolf. Though the economics were consistently intriguing, the dialogue that accompanied them wasn’t particularly subtle, which would have complemented the material in a more effective manner. However, assuming the character dynamics continue to develop in a satisfying manner, this aspect of the show definitely has the potential to improve.

The characters, though quite engaging, have yet to evolve towards a possession of any singularly substantial characterization; certainly none that would constitute considerable interest in their development, as they simply lack a depth that is typically necessary for stories of this nature. Of course, I do expect this slight flaw to be remedied as the narrative continues to develop. The touches of comedy throughout provided some of the best moments within the episode, since, for the most part, it illustrated a considerably balanced approach to storytelling, as humorous antics typically followed sequences of dramatic intent in a surprisingly effective and satisfying manner, rarely leaning too heavily in one particular direction. The scene with
Hero’s body pillow
was easily one of the best moments in the episode.

Hero and Demon Queen’s interactions are rather enjoyable so far, since they have pretty good chemistry, but those moments, and, in turn, their relationship will likely improve immensely as the story progresses, since their somewhat engaging dynamic will be partially elevated by a filtering of further complexities into both of their characterizations, particularly Hero, which I assume is inevitable. As such, I would have likely preferred a more methodical approach towards establishing
Demon Queen’s feelings for Hero
, as they lacked a certain development necessary in order to effectively portray the initial flourishes of their seemingly
imminent romance

The direction was quite good, yet occasionally inconsistent, especially noticeable during the several highly ineffective sequences that involved an unnecessarily heavy usage of disconcerting camera rotations. The animation was pretty good, but quite unremarkable. The visuals were inconsistent in quality, but the background art, in particular, was quite impressive, often displaying a rather appealing aesthetic. The CGI, for the most part, was poorly implemented and needlessly distracting. Musically, this episode was surprisingly great, particularly the selection that was used throughout the opening sequence. Also, the musical selection that was filtered into
Hero and Demon Queen’s contractual agreement
was fantastic. Even though it possessed rather simplistic visuals, the OP was quite good, especially due the accompanying musical selection. On the other hand, the ED, though not visually spectacular, was musically terrific.

All in all, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is a moderately enjoyable and surprisingly interesting show, but the artificially constructed nature of the character dynamics, so far, have been detrimental to the relatively compelling narrative. However, I do expect this aspect of the show to greatly improve as the story progresses, since, thankfully, the show possesses considerable potential. The brief appearance of the
Female Knight
was quite intriguing, and I’m looking forward to a further insight into the group of characters that
Hero separated from long ago

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure 13

Damn. This was a really good episode, and this arc, for the most part, has simply been exceptional.

This episode was really well-paced, as it never really faltered in it’s ability to swiftly transition between intriguing or tense sequences. Surprisingly,
Stroheim’s death
was the highlight of the episode; one of the more satisfying sequences in the entire show. The reveal of
other pillar men
is really interesting, and I’m assuming
they’ll
play a significant part as the story progresses.

The direction was surprisingly effective, especially during the numerous action sequences. Musically, this episode was great, particularly the selection that accompanied
Stroheim’s attempts to open the door that led to a sunlit escape

All in all, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure continues to be one of the most consistently excellent shows in the past year.

That reminds me.
Still have haruhi S2 to watch.

Season two was not terrible, but I preferred the original novels much more after watching the anime adaptation. Especially Endless Eight.

Also just got done pre-ordering A Certain Scientific Railgun manga and newly solicited anime. It is a shame this is DVD only just like Index is. Hopefully a Blu-ray will be available soon, if ever.

OceanBlue

Season two was not terrible, but I preferred the original novels much more after watching the anime adaptation. Especially Endless Eight.

Also just got done pre-ordering A Certain Scientific Railgun manga and newly solicited anime. It is a shame this is DVD only just like Index is. Hopefully a Blu-ray will be available soon, if ever.

At least Railgun season two will definitely have a Blu-Ray. Who knows, they might even release BD versions of Railgun season one because of season two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom