• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Amnesia 02:

j4Qxml.jpg

Just how pathetic is going to a maid cafe for your birthday?

So I guess there's a
time loop
thing going on. Sure, why not? I want things to make as little sense as possible anyway. All I can really hope for out of this show is a spectacular crash and burn. This episode was pretty inane on the whole, focusing on scintillating subject matter like air hockey tactics and the ability to predict the weather by smell. I can totally see why protag-chan was into these guys before she lost her memory.

For once, I agree with DTL about how pathetically weak a woman is.

And we have here what might be the least-threatening antagonist in recent memory. He is literally holding a flashlight to his face to make himself look scarier, campfire ghost story-style. Supremely punchable.

I guess for the one or two other people watching this, am I alone in really liking the OP? I feel like I shouldn't, but I do.

Branduil

Birdy uh... 6 - 11?

This show is the biggest bait and switch ever. The first three episodes were fantastic, and there was some established plot happening and a ton of action and tension! I was so ready. THEN, everything went 180. After this the main character is now some high school boy who is whiny and apprehensive about everything - the show follows him and his high school friends as they eat lunch together, go on vacations, ride the train, play in the pool, look for ghosts, and try to have romance. Then you hardly see Birdy at all. WTF IS THIS?!?

And now the entire plot is revolving around the fact that shitty MC is willing to put the entire EARTH (along with some 8 billion occupants and countless species) at risk because he is unwilling to accept the fact that his girlfriend is a bomb and that M. Night Shyamalan is a hustler.

I have two episodes to go and I barely have the morale left to do it D:

Fuck. This.

It gets better.

Season 1 is awful. Completely awful. Season 2 is much better and a complete step up.
I don't think season 1 is awful. It's just not as good as s2.

I like how every episode of Birdy ends on some pessimistic cliffhanger, it's all ominous and moody - then the ED kicks in all "Let's go have a good time!! Everybody peace and a magic good time, put your hands, put your hands, put your hands up in your ass and your grandparents diieeee ^__^"

Most inappropriate ED ever.

The OP and ED are also significantly better in s2.

Valygar

Hi Anime-Gaf!

I've been disconnected from the anime world for about 2 years, I would like some recommendations...

Anime I liked:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Awesome visuals, characters... a bit over the top but it was awesome.
Death Note: I liked the suspense a lot...
Full Metal Alchemist: Wonderful music, plot, character progression...
Ghost in the Shell: I liked it a lot for the world, but the plot was better in the manga.
Code Geass: Not the best anime in the world, but I liked the rebellion theme and some characters were great.

Anime I did not care about:

Eureka Seven: It was OK, but not great.
Elfen Lied: Boring, no interest in the plot...
Samurai Champloo: Too random, did not like the aesthetics.
Black Lagoon
Full Metal Panic!: I liked it a lot at the beginning, after that it was a bit repetitive and did not bring much to the table.

Other mentions:

Naruto: I started watching this and actually liked it a lot for the first 20-40 episodes. After that, it make me not wanting to see anything open, only concluded (or with an end) animes.

Bleach: The first two seasons were awesome, specially the 2nd, after that I did not care.

Now I'm watching Steins;Gate and I'm loving it as well :)

I guess I mostly watch suspense/fantastic/mecha stuff, but I also watched: GTO and Hajime no Ippo, and I liked them (though they are not my favourites)

In general, I think I do not like "cheap magic" things unless they do not take themselves seriously or are extremely over the top.

I'll try to look for your top anime threads of the past years as well!

Thank you in advance

Hi Anime-Gaf!

I've been disconnected from the anime world for about 2 years, I would like some recommendations...

Anime I liked:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Awesome visuals, characters... a bit over the top but it was awesome.
Ghost in the Shell: I liked it a lot for the world, but the plot was better in the manga.
Code Geass: Not the best anime in the world, but I liked the rebellion theme and some characters were great.

Black Lagoon
Full Metal Panic!: I liked it a lot at the beginning, after that it was a bit repetitive and did not bring much to the table.

Other mentions:

Naruto: I started watching this and actually liked it a lot for the first 20-40 episodes. After that, it make me not wanting to see anything open, only concluded (or with an end) animes.

Bleach: The first two seasons were awesome, specially the 2nd, after that I did not care.

I guess I mostly watch suspense/fantastic/mecha stuff, but I also watched: GTO and Hajime no Ippo, and I liked them (though they are not my favourites)

In general, I think I do not like "cheap magic" things unless they do not take themselves seriously or are extremely over the top.

Thank you in advance

Death Note fans should check out both Kaiji and Mirai Nikki.

Depending on how much you liked Bleach and Naruto before dropping them, I might recommend you check out this thread I made, but don't want to overwhelm you or anything. Still, you should watch the current Hunter x Hunter.

Branduil

Amazing. So good. I can taste the tears from here. I remember laughing so hard the first time I saw this in the show.

Season 1 is awful. Completely awful. Season 2 is much better and a complete step up.

Hi Anime-Gaf!

Anime I liked:

Black Lagoon

Other mentions:

Thank you in advance

Sounds like you would enjoy Glass Fleet.

iWtCQkGh1bHY6.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hi Anime-Gaf!

Anime I liked:

Black Lagoon

Try One Piece, the Gundam series of your choice, or Code:Breaker.

Moonlight

Banned
Hi Anime-Gaf!

Anime I liked:

Black Lagoon
You might enjoy FMA: Brotherhood if you liked the first FMA. As for a recent series, I think Fate/Zero might be up your alley.

sleepykyo

Mangaf also has Shouta lurking in the background, and now we have Aeana, so it's all good.

Aeana and Mumei have alternately popped by, kind of a split burden. If it comes down to a single moderator, I expect him/her to think "f*ck it, I'd rather just close it down".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hi Anime-Gaf!

Anime I liked:

Black Lagoon

Other mentions:

Thank you in advance

Darker than Black (aka Chinese Electric Batman), Baccano, The Big O and Level E (you need to give this one until the end of episode 3, trust me on this one).

Milamber

Amazing. So good. I can taste the tears from here. I remember laughing so hard the first time I saw this in the show.

This is much more effective...

Bi38m.gif

I haven't been posting much here now. Going through my huge backlog of anime and games of 2012 is taking too much of my GAF time away.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Girls und Panzer 8

Oh, hey, they've finally decided to say what was obvious since the second episode.

Sodoko is annoying as hell. Also, stupid hair.

OceanBlue

Not really that interesting to note, but the Tamako Market Twitter account has been switching avatars. Yesterday, it was Anko. Today, it's Midori.

Also, Tamako Market airs today! So excited.

Moonlight

Banned
Code: Breaker Episode 3

o5M2q.jpg

More like Ball: Breaker, am I right or am I right? I have to be the thousandth person to make that joke.

Once again, there's some pretty clear disconnect between the wacky school hijinks and the edgy dramatic moments. I feel like this is the same problem I had with Full Metal Panic!. It bounces between edgy action drama to misunderstanding-ridden high school comedy and back again. It's really jarring. And what was up with that glasses girl obsessed with Sakura Sakurakouji's breasts?

It's getting harder and harder to take Sakura's moral stuff seriously. I'm not sure if the show is trying to frame what Ogami is doing as evil actions by an evil person or not, because literally no one takes Sakura's moralizing seriously, and she never gives anyone any reason to. She's either powerless or unwilling to actively intervene in whatever evil that Ogami is inflicting. She just stands there shouting Ogami's name. What happened to stopping him? I think,
between trying to kill you twice, implicitly threatening to kill your friend, explicitly threatening to kill anyone she tells about him, and then raining broken glass on a busy city plaza
should have told her already that standing there just objecting clearly isn't the secret to stopping him from doing bad things.

And that entire bit right after he
chokes the daughter of that drug addict, what the hell.

Holy shit, I was laughing way harder at this than whatever was going on in the school segment. It was so out of nowhere, too.

With that all out of the way, I feel like these Code: Breaker episodes always get a lot more fun when Ogami busts out the flames and starts incinerating dudes. Because it really is fun to see bad dudes burning, and it's one thing that I think Code: Breaker does quite well. And you know what? I think I'm really starting to enjoy this show. The transitions between the high school and action bits are messy and I'm constantly sent mixed messages about Ogami that I'm not quite sure this show wants me to receive, but it's pretty funny (when I'm not sure it's supposed to be) and the action is really, really solid.

Next episode looks like it should be going into a straight fight between two superpowered dudes. I'm looking forward to it.

Geneijin

Slightly off topic, let me know if I should remove it.

The Amazing Spider-man comics, ending after a 700 issue run, are taking the comic into NTR territories that even Japan would be shocked at.

Peter is in Dok Ock's body because of a mindswap and Doc Ock is in Peter's body
No one else knows this
Dok Ock's body is slowly dying with Peter inside
Real Peter tries to get some supervillains to help him get close to Dok Ock so that he can switch back.
They end up going out of a window together and Real Peter has some psychic connection with Doc Ock where he finds out he just wanted to be spider-man and the hero all this time.
Peter gives up. Doc Ock in Peter's body creates a web for himself. Peter in Doc Ock's body hits the ground and dies
Doc Ock in Peter's body then claims he will be a superior Spider-man than Peter ever was.

Did I mention Doc Ock in Peter's body is banging Mary Jane?

This is how they end a 50 year continuous run of Amazing Spider-man.

I don't even think Japan would do something like this.
I didn't think that Spider-man stuff could get even worse :lol

Spoilers

madp

The Light of El Cantare
At least he dressed up and went out on his birthday.

He probably just got off of work and happened to be dressed up because of that. After realizing that he has nothing and no one to go home to, he quietly slipped into the first maid cafe he could find and spent the last bit of money left over from his paycheck on an overpriced little cake with a personal frosting inscription and a few minutes' attention from a couple of moderately-attractive girls in fetish clothing being paid to pretend that they care that he's alive.

He only takes a couple of bites of his cake before the utter artifice of the entire situation dawns upon him and he shambles out of the door, overwhelmed by emptiness and existential despair. When he stumbles back into his suffocating little cell of an apartment, he tears his tie from his neck as he darts to the refrigerator and then to the bathroom cabinet, washing down half a bottle of sleeping pills with sake in hopes that tonight is finally the night that it grants him oblivion.

Gintama Haru Matsuri 2010

So this was basically a big event to celebrate the ending of Gintama and hype all the screaming fangirls of the movie. It was fun, cool to see them read the lines. The concerts were pretty cool as well. All a big event where you see that voice acting isn't just reading the lines especially with such big events like this.

I'm also sure there were fanboys in the event as well. But with most things, screaming fangirls will drown out any sound from them.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Not really that interesting to note, but the Tamako Market Twitter account has been switching avatars. Yesterday, it was Anko. Today, it's Midori.

Also, Tamako Market airs today! So excited.

I'm soooo excited, I can't wait!! It's so fucking cuuutee, I need it in my blood!!!

I'm... going to turn into CajunatooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOO__(@)

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 1

That was an exceedingly bizarre introductory episode, and, though I’m slightly intrigued by several aspects of the show, the incoherent and largely uninteresting material, along with the highly inconsistent execution, detracts from the show immensely; to the point where this episode and, in turn, the show is derived solely from a conscientious tonal dissonance and an abundance of pandering nonsense. The excessively offbeat nature of this episode doesn’t particularly lend itself towards a favorable impression, as it’s far too needlessly fragmentary and essentially devoid of even a singular glimpse of narrative potential. Essentially, this was a thoroughly nonsensical tapestry of a plethora of disparate elements, lacking in a necessary cohesion within the story, which resulted in an episode that was disappointingly trite and largely mediocre.

The opening was easily the worst sequence in this episode, as it was
disturbingly voyeuristic
in nature, which, I suppose, applies to the entire episode, for that matter, unnecessarily lingering on
Sasami and her brother’s seemingly incestuous tendencies
. Sasami’s interactions with Paparin were definitely the worst element within this episode, as they consistently strayed towards fully establishing an unnecessarily creepy dynamic. This narrative flaw within the episode is largely due to the
brother’s
involvement, since
he’s
consistently the most irritating character in the show. Though surrealistic and considerably illogical, the action sequence towards the end was quite enjoyable and very well-animated, but alas, nearly every moment aside from those few were comprehensively terrible and worthless within the construct of the “narrative“. If only the thoroughly poor direction hadn’t partially squandered the potential for momentary brilliance.

Though expected, the numerous intonations towards a
vaguely incestuous dynamic
throughout the episode, and, in particular, the interactions between Sasami and her brother, was an unfortunate and highly uninteresting aspect, as it only detracts from the
relationships between the characters
. As such, Sasami’s seeming
attraction towards her brother
, though expected, is quite disappointing, since it heavily cheapens their interactions and will likely be detrimental to the story, especially if
her affections
become unmistakably
romantic
in nature.

The characters, so far, aside from Tsuguri and Sasami, to an extent, are very uninteresting and completely devoid of actual characterization. They are, for the most part, particularly soulless, lacking the subtly complex or engaging personalities that are necessary for the effectiveness of their interactions. Perhaps this thoroughly noticeable flaw will be remedied as the story progresses, but it seems distinctly unlikely at this point. The effectiveness of the comedic touches throughout was essentially non-existent and, at most, quite inconsistent, typically elevating towards it’s marginal best whenever Tsuguri was directly involved, as her personality complements the humor far better than any other character.

The direction was highly inconsistent and detrimentally poor, resulting in incoherent storytelling throughout the episode. The character designs are quite impressive, as they’re more individualistic than I initially expected. Musically, this episode was very good, as this particular aspect easily distinguishes itself as the best throughout, most evidently illustrated by the whimsical selection that accompanied the
closing scene
. The animation, as well, was great, particularly throughout much of the
action sequence
. The OP was decent, but quite forgettable in nearly every area. The ED was simply atrocious and offensively lazy.

All in all, Sasami-san is essentially devoid of any particular element that’s even remotely compelling, resulting in what is the most disappointing show of the season, as the first episode made it perfectly clear that it possesses little to no noticeable potential. Stylistically, the show is quite appealing, but, aside from that rather insignificant element, the first episode never exceeds beyond a disappointingly tiresome mediocrity, often resolving itself to a thoroughly uninteresting repetition of needlessly perverse antics and dull interactions.

Also, Red > Sasami > Black >>>>> Yellow

Dresden

hyouka - 11.5

(Note: I hunted down a pic of the original web release in order to maintain an appearance of historical accuracy. Needless to say it looks amazing in a non-gameboy resolution. Pool episodes in anime aren't quite ruined ala school festivals after Kanya Festa, but it's close.)

2GJgs.jpg

As usual, the two women who dominate Oreki's life (his sister and Chitanda) spur him out of his depression and back to his normal form. It's kinda like going into a public match in a shooter to kill newbies until you get your confidence back.

Outside of the natural benefits of setting an episode at the pool, I wasn't really impressed. It's there to bridge the gap between the two cours, while setting the characters in position for the festival, but it's really just a retread of all the dynamics introduced so far. As a viewer you know what they're trying to do, and it's successful, but at the same time it's a little too much. Bundle that with the kiddy-pool mystery solved while wading in a kiddy pool, and it wasn't that interesting outside of seeing Chitanda in a swimsuit, and Oreki's reactions to that sight.

duckroll

Wut. What a lazy site. No anime art. No staff. No cast. No details. Just "coming on noitaminA!". Meh.

4/10

Code: Breaker Episode 3

Holy shit, I was laughing way harder at this than whatever was going on in the school segment. It was so out of nowhere, too.

Doctor's note: The indoctrination is working. The subject is showing the expected signs of receptiveness to the material.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Girls und Panzer 10

Poor new girls. But I guess they served their purpose, showing up just for the final!

And now I join you guys in your suffering. Can't wait to see what'll happen next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom