• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

You have to click on something on the left after clicking on Introduction. The site sucks anyway. Here's the preview (the people in this demo are staff members, it's not representative of the anime's characters):

X1grr.jpg

Are those supposed to be students?

Chronoexe

Smile Precure! 02-05

Now the team is complete, and Yayoi is still my favorite cure.
Pika Pika Pikarin! Jan! Ken! Pon!

Can't stop watching the opening and Ending @_@

Railgun is far better than Index simply because of Saten. Saten needs her own series or OVA,
and no the third episode of Index-tan does not count

cajunator

Banned
Agreed, though I'm very much lacking in the Madoka figure department at the moment. But I did get something awesome in the mail last night that will be unboxed tonight, with pictures forthcoming (at least in the figure thread).

That sounds like a good plan. Sorry last night ended up so shitty for you. Hopefully it's all good between now and Tuesday.

thanks. Cant wait to see what you got!

I'm sorry. I can't follow you down this dark path of figurine collecting.

I'll be waiting here.

This is the correct course. You are wise. May your money not flow like a river from your bank account.

Reminds me I need to catch up on Space Bros. It's great once you're watching, but if you aren't at the moment, it's like pulling teeth to start.

I know the feeling. got out of it at episode 34 and flashier stuff has filled in my viewing time. It beckons me back. I've only a few episodes to go!

Excuse my poor grammar. Sisters

LqjN9.jpg

She has NO hips. None. She also doesnt seem to have organs of any kind. she really is magic!

You should probably say "Sayaka's figure". Just saying.

Nah, he said exactly what he feels. He totally meant body. extollere is a man of his word.

Senran Kagura 02

This show is fun. This episode sees more crazy lewd antics. I am trying to not give away much though.

This is why this show is better than SAO.

Sentai has licensed AKB0048

Ok Sentai, you are seriously trying to make me love you. I know you used to be ADV so I should anyway but that was the past and I was TRYING to move on. You are like an ex that wont go away, always enticing me. Goddamn you.
Not that I know what relationships are like much but this is speculation.

cajunator

Banned
AKB0048? Don't you mean Interstellar Idols?

That joke is kind of irrelevant. They aren't that bad with titles.
Funimation is probably the worst so far with
"Cat Planet cuties" although I am really rather partial to that particular name. It rings true to my interests.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm sorry. I can't follow you down this dark path of figurine collecting.

I'll be waiting here.
Well I've shifted from Lego to this so I'm actually saving money!

Still only one thread? Hurry up, folks.
You're not exactly helping. Never thought I'd take over you in the rankings.

I'm doing stuff. Things. What more do you want?
Look, Extollere still manages to post despite all the fapping and drinking so you really have no excuse.

Sentai has licensed AKB0048
When I hear the term home video it makes it sound like it is coming out on VHS.

Ok Sentai, you are seriously trying to make me love you. I know you used to be ADV so I should anyway but that was the past and I was TRYING to move on. You are like an ex that wont go away, always enticing me. Goddamn you.
Not that I know what relationships are like much but this is speculation.

If Sentai could do box sets on the order of what NISA does, I would love them forever.

Branduil

http://imgur.com/a/kCUbK

Average of the females from the top 64 anime according to MAL.
2wyrT.jpg

Average of 32 females from top shows of the 00s.
AKlrf.jpg

Average of 32 female faces from popular shows made in the 90s.
Xv4mT.jpg

Average of 32 female faces from popular shows made in the 80s.
nNjZs.jpg

80s, 90s, and 00s females combined.
Uuro2.jpg

'80s>top64>'90s>'00s>all combined

cajunator

Banned
If Sentai could do box sets on the order of what NISA does, I would love them forever.

ADV was never known for overly elaborate sets to begin with. Their downfall was simply being too big. they are making some smart acquisitions now though. To be honest, between NISA, Sentai/Section 23, Aniplex, Funimation, Media Blasters, and Bandai they have covered about 95% of shows I have wanted to own. I am EXTREMELY happy with the amount and quality of releases lately. I dont know how it is holding up for these companies financially but I wish them all the best because every single one of them (still alive) is trying very hard to maintain quality and package the anime attractively.

I think a co-worker of mine was possessed with the spirit of Chet Rippo :(

Kept spouting nonsense about making Wednesday nights Ten Tit Eve. Aside from being unprofessional and sexist as hell, what does this even mean?!

ADV was never known for overly elaborate sets to begin with. Their downfall was simply being too big. they are making some smart acquisitions now though. To be honest, between NISA, Sentai/Section 23, Aniplex, Funimation, Media Blasters, and Bandai they have covered about 95% of shows I have wanted to own. I am EXTREMELY happy with the amount and quality of releases lately. I dont know how it is holding up for these companies financially but I wish them all the best because every single one of them (still alive) is trying very hard to maintain quality and package the anime attractively.

Too big, they were bigger than Funi/Viz?

Guess Denpa Onna kinda spoiled me ;). But you're right, their box sets have always been bare bones. It is a lot better these days...I remember paying around $70-$80 for the ADV Chrono Crusade box set that had all the extras stripped out. I do hope all the existing companies in the US anime business hold up at the very least.

Too big at least for their own means.

Ultimadrago

School has just started up for me, so entertainment has taken a backseat. I will cover the backlog anime from the past two days (and peer impressions for them) today.

Hataraki Man 2

Well, that was quite a heavy-handed way to deal with
misogyny
. If the series hadn't set its tone earlier, I would be more disappointed. It doesn't excuse the handling of it, but the episode turned out fair. A new character is introduced and interacts with the main character in way that defines how straight-faced (or not) both take their work.

The only way to make Fumiya's developed outlook of Matsukata (after a single night) more clumsy was if he said,
"Gee, I guess all women aren't so bad after all!"
. It wasn't an optimal take on the issue in any aspect, but it still made for an okay watch, if for nothing else, for seeing the subject focused on.

cajunator

Banned
Guess Denpa Onna kinda spoiled me ;). But you're right, their box sets have always been bare bones. It is a lot better these days...I remember paying around $70-$80 for the ADV Chrono Crusade box set that had all the extras stripped out. I do hope all the existing companies in the US anime business hold up at the very least.

Too big at least for their own means.

I paid much more than that for Chrono Crusade, but it did come with extra stuff on the discs and a pretty artbox. So many pretty artboxes. I go nuts for them and companies are still delivering, although in more compact packaging. Really not fond of the super savings collections entirely stripped of any personality or collector value except for the sake of saving space.

ADV used to be ENORMOUS. They started the whole anime licensing movement in the US. they were the top dog. the big enchilada. The colossus of clout. They had an empire, and the whole motherfucking thing came crashing down.

Theonik

ZetaEpyon

ADV used to be ENORMOUS. They started the whole anime licensing movement in the US. they were the top dog. the big enchilada. The colossus of clout. They had an empire, and the whole motherfucking thing came crashing down.

I don't know that I'd totally agree with this. While they were certainly prolific, I doubt they could have matched up to Funimation financially if for no other reason than Dragonball.

ADV definitely led the pack in terms of quantity of licenses though, largely to support the Anime Network, I think. Of course, that's probably also what led to their downfall - crazy spending sprees on tons of mediocre shows doesn't work out too well when people end up not buying the stuff...

How could they fall, they just didnt have a Naruto/Gundam among all the series they licensed or something?

Narag

Back in the day, ADV was basically licensing everything. And not content with that, they started licensing manga and CDs and maybe toys, dunno. They basically expanded way too quickly and when people wasn't buying enough of their stuff, they basically crashed.

They paid some outrageous license fees for questionable properties too!

Theonik

Back in the day, ADV was basically licensing everything. And not content with that, they started licensing manga and CDs and maybe toys, dunno. They basically expanded way too quickly and when people wasn't buying enough of their stuff, they basically crashed.
The bigger they are the harder they fall. Eh they still do it under Sentai though that doesn't mean they are now any wiser or making money looking at what they keep licensing!

cajunator

Banned
The bigger they are the harder they fall. Eh they still do it under Sentai though that doesn't mean they are now any wiser or making money looking at what they keep licensing!

I guarantee you they arent licensing anything for nearly the amount it used to cost. The Japanese companies were making back the cost of production just with Us licensing alone. They fleeced the fuck out of them.

duckroll

I guarantee you they arent licensing anything for nearly the amount it used to cost. The Japanese companies were making back the cost of production just with Us licensing alone. They fleeced the fuck out of them.

IIRC, the majority of ADV's biggest titles were all Gonzo productions, so what goes around comes around. Because Gonzo relied so heavily on foreign investment via licensing to support their massive expansion in production, when the well in the US dried up, they went bust too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom