• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Oh, in that case I suppose it's okay to expostulate about the believability of the characters and the subtlety of their growth and how true to life they are portrayed but then take a one-dimensional "Grrr I hit you!" character completely at face value as an entirely believable threat to the protagonists and not as a less than half-assed, ridiculous attempt at obstaculization for the sole purpose of sidelining the easiest and most obvious solution to the problem. Gotcha.

He would have punched Chitanda too, man.

Would you want him to punch her...in the face?

trejo

Some people are just easier to avoid. It's understandable that the people running the pool wouldn't want to start a scene.

But see, this is what I don't get. What scene? Maybe the guy was in a bad mood before and has calmed down since. Maybe he's an actual person who is capable of displaying more than one emotion in response to different situations. Maybe the other dude really was totally perving on his woman.

I'm just saying, there are a whole freakin' buttload of assumptions on part of everyone here that I'm just supposed to take for granted either because it's easier for the writer that way or because no one has the balls to ask a very simple and innocent question.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I take back every negative thing I ever said about this show. Excellent portrayal of raw human nature and masterful weaving of themes like curiosity and lust and love into what, in lesser shows, would constitute as merely another pool episode.

Gonna go edit my AotY votes brb.

It's not a lake it's an ocean. 10/10.
Glad to see you finally can see the show for what it is.

OceanBlue

I'm really enjoying this cast Tamako Market has going on. It obviously focuses on its main characters, but the supporting characters all show their own sparks of personality as well.

It's definitely too early to say because we're only two episodes in, but things like the faster pacing of scenes and the perspectives an episode takes differentiate it from K-On to me. I also feel like this show is more liberal about its POV characters than K-On, partly to the type of stories being told.

Despite the preview from episode one being all about Midori, there was also the bit with Tamako's dad that I enjoyed. We'll see if the new character shares the spotlight in the next episode as well. The new character seems pretty likely to be an outsider character. There might be a bit more involved in introducing this new character into the setting, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were dedicated to her. That being said, I feel like Yamada is capable of introducing a character and having some focus on the characters of the shopping district as well.

Tamako has the cutest casual clothes, by the way. Loving this show!

Edit: Ehh... I might change my avatar to Tamako (or Midori) again. Maybe.

zeroshiki

But see, this is what I don't get. What scene? Maybe the guy was in a bad mood before and has calmed down since. Maybe he's an actual person who is capable of displaying more than one emotion in response to different situations. Maybe the other dude really was totally perving on his woman.

I'm just saying, there are a whole freakin' buttload of assumptions on part of everyone here that I'm just supposed to take for granted either because it's easier for the writer that way or because no one has the balls to ask a very simple and innocent question.

With regards to Japanese culture (I'm an expert etc etc), it is quite common to NOT ask for clarification on anything and just go through life in a haze of misunderstanding. In this case, I do not find it particularly confusing why it never occurred to them to just directly ask for clarification.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tamako Market 02

I like the bits where the girls are just having fun and acting like morons, but the introspective portions about rabu dabu are boring and dumb since these characters aren't really fleshed out in any way.

Best part of the show is still Mochidude. And Tamako looks a lot better with glasses. I think I'm gonna drop this next episode if nothing interesting happens. No, :SDBurton alone doesn't work.

Tamako Market 02

Lesbian subplot ahoy! Great episode, was funny and had drama without going overboard or blowing it out of proportion (aka being melodramatic).

Who confesses first? Mochi boy or Lesi girl?

NeonZ

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on. Brave 10 is considered historical? What in the hell?

Well, it involves some historical characters, although they aren't the main protagonists (Yukimura Sanada, Mitsunari Ishida, Kanetsugu Naoe, Masamune Date, Ieyasu Tokugawa),
and the final episode does some set up for a historical event unrelated to the whole mystical plot that is the center of the show. The "Brave 10" themselves are based on an old legend about Yukimura creating such a group, although obviously in very rough lines and the main plot itself has no relation to their original stories.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Even if someone was "perving on his woman" it wouldn't be valid cause for such rash behavior. I dunno, if people are being highly emotional out in public I usually try to avoid them, not because I am afraid of violence but because I don't want to deal with them. The issue is similar here, and the process of looking for the earring isn't really as big of a deal as the show might make it seem. I would agree that it is less than ideal, and I asked the same question in my head, but it didn't really pull me out of the experience because I could understand the rationale.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Tamako Market 02:

Tamako_02_zpse9ca8e0d.jpg

Midori's grandfather: Secret best character

This show makes me feel all warm inside. And dat yuri desire! :D The episode managed to be both about Midori's obvious crush on Tamako, and also about Tamako's father's stubbornness with modernizing. So tsun. Also, Kanna's blueprints, pretty damn amazing for a kid. I could never draw something as precise as a blueprint.

Tamako_02_2_zps8c1c2d7e.jpg

I HEREBY COMMAND YOU RETAIN THIS LOOK FOREVER! Hair down + Glasses = WIN!!!

Epcott

Really enjoying From the New World more than I thought I would. How long is this series supposed to be?

Pretty excited about news of a new GITS series.

trejo

With regards to Japanese culture (I'm an expert etc etc), it is quite common to NOT ask for clarification on anything and just go through life in a haze of misunderstanding. In this case, I do not find it particularly confusing why it never occurred to them to just directly ask for clarification.

Yeah, I'm just gonna chalk this one down to cultural differences then.

zeroshiki

We all like to dream about a new FMP what with the author's strong relationship with KyoAni and, of course, how awesome the past KyoAni produced entries were but realistically, its been years. Whatever strength the FMP brand has/had its most likely dissipated by now. The window for a new series has long since passed and a new series is very unlikely.

OceanBlue

We all like to dream about a new FMP what with the author's strong relationship with KyoAni and, of course, how awesome the past KyoAni produced entries were but realistically, its been years. Whatever strength the FMP brand has/had its most likely dissipated by now. The window for a new series has long since passed and a new series is very unlikely.

Has KyoAni even retained enough of its staff? I would imagine that a modern FMP would either require a lot of freelancers (which KyoAni tends not to do now), or it would feel a lot different compared to the older FMPs.

I'm not really familiar with the staff for FMP so I don't know for sure.

Moe father.

He was super moe. dat blush

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I dunno, the novel series ended this last year. If we don't hear anything about a new series in the next year it's pretty safe to say we're not getting it. If I can get more Spice and Wolf I can live without more FMP though.

zeroshiki

Has KyoAni even retained enough of its staff? I would imagine that a modern FMP would either require a lot of freelancers (which KyoAni tends not to do now), or it would feel a lot different compared to the older FMPs.

I'm not really familiar with the staff for FMP so I don't know for sure.

Well Takemoto and Gatoh are still around that's for sure. Taking a look at the ANN page, they'd have to get Horiuchi back and then get some mechanical designers/animators. Overall, I don't think its impossible at all. KyoAni just refuses to do it.

zeroshiki

I dunno, the novel series ended this last year. If we don't hear anything about a new series in the next year it's pretty safe to say we're not getting it. If I can get more Spice and Wolf I can live without more FMP though.

Lol, stop it you're gonna make macodin cry.

S&W S3 is much more unlikely than FMP.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom