• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
blacklion.png

Pichu0102

Neo Member
Wait until:

English: Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie - Conqueror of Shamballa

Synonyms: Gekijyouban Hagane no Renkinjutsushi - Shanbara wo Yuku Mono, Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa

Then it'll be through the looking glass.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 14
tumblr_mgr5drPRZV1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Exactly. I liked episode 13's outfits better
It seemed the only change, I noticed was their outfits and the opening scene with Kyon at home seemed different a bit
. Otherwise, deja vu, I wish they had given a hint, Ive been thinking all day about what in the world it could be, though to be rewarded with this episode was like a being bitten to death.
Hopefully Kyon thinks of something next episode to escape this loop and not be too comfortable with it

That's a funny description.

zeroshiki

Wait, are they really calling Spirited Away, Sen to Chihiro? Seriously? Its got an official title and everything! It even has an Oscar with that title.

zeroshiki

I mean, it has an Academy Award with that title. Its official. Studio Ghibli (I'm sorry, Sutajio Jiburi) recognizes it by the Spirited Away name.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wait, are they really calling Spirited Away, Sen to Chihiro? Seriously? Its got an official title and everything! It even has an Oscar with that title.

All of the Ghibli titles got weebslapped. Now we have Mimi wo Sumaseba, Mononoke Hime, Kurenai no Buta, etc.

Names of animated features used for the オスカー are inferior anyway. Even gaijin titles are imparted with superior nihongo names that impart layers of depth and subtle multifaceted meaning that could never be achieved in their native barbarian tongues:

uhWgxl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TRbav.png[/IMG

fuck me, a Kirito x Asuna avatar. It's perfect.[/QUOTE]

I know why they're doing it, I saw the post. But thanks.

[quote="Branduil, post: 46539802"]You were thinking it, racist. Otherwise you'd approve of their attempts to purify the MAL website of filthy gaijin language.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why you're attacking me because of what I posted in the "moe" thread. I'd love to hear it in a PM.

The thing I didn't like about that thread was that people were calling fans of moe/anime creepy or pedophiles. That one guy, LaserBuddha, called us all vile trolls (etc) coming out of our threads.

[quote="Moonlight, post: 46540008"]All I know is that I searched for Spice and Wolf and got [i]Ookami to Koushinryou[/i].[/QUOTE]

I was so confused when I was trying to look for Spice and Wolf on my list and couldn't find it.

zeroshiki

They haven't fucked with Eva's name yet. I would have thought that was one of the first things they'd go for.

Imagine looking for Eva and getting Shinseiki Evangelion.

Oh shit ahahahhaa... Now and then here and there got its name changed.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 18
This was just an all around really good episode. Lots of Frau Bow x Amuro, with Frau of course getting to verbally dress down Amuro. Kinky Haman flirting with Amuro in front of her husband I guess (Assuming that it's like Waltfeld and Aisha in Gundam SEED). Plenty of good mecha action culminating in a sword fight between the Gouf and the Gundam. And my personal favorite: Amuro gets tossed in the brig and breaks into tears after Ryu, who is all around the nicest guy and truest not-Frau-Bow friend Amuro has on the ship, tells Amuro point-blank to his face that they needed GUNDAM, not Amuro.

Ryu really is becoming my favorite guy in the show, although Bright Noah deserves constant respect for slappin' fools when they need it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
All of the Ghibli titles got weebslapped. Now we have Mimi wo Sumaseba, Mononoke Hime, Kurenai no Buta, etc.

Names of animated features used for the オスカー are inferior anyway. Even gaijin titles are imparted with superior nihongo names that impart layers of depth and subtle multifaceted meaning that could never be achieved in their native barbarian tongues:

uhWgxl.jpg

I don't even konw what that says rofl.

zeroshiki

Up is kinda a hard title for the Japanese to get so it got changed to Karl-jiisan no sora tobu iie which translates to "Karl's Flying House"

CorvoSol

Up is kinda a hard title for the Japanese to get so it got changed to Karl-jiisan no sora tobu iie which translates to "Karl's Flying House"

How in God's name is ONE WORD hard to translate? It's not like "Up" is an abstract concept. Surely there's a Japanese word for the direction up?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh.

Still a mind-bogglingly stupid reason to put it as part of the full page title, though.

If that kind of logic applied to other titles we'd get shit like Hellsing becoming Hellsing: The Bird of the Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame. Let's not give MAL any ideas.

yami4ct

So, I've been sicker than heck this past few weeks. To combat the boredom of being constantly lying down on the couch, I've marathoned a crap ton of GinTama. Got reminded of why I love that show to death. So much good stuff. Thought I'd through up my thoughts on the major arcs I've plowed through.

Yagyuu Clan Arc

I left off right before this when I took a break from GinTama a month or so back. I must say, this arc was hugely disappointing. Nothing about it worked for me. I didn't like/buy the drama. None of the major jokes hit. It just didn't feel like good old Gintama. The new character introduced, Kyuubei, was really wasted in this arc. I just felt no interest in them at all. The twist involving that character is so predictable as well. The major recurring joke of Kondo
being engaged to a gorilla
made me laugh like once. The sad thing is, it keeps going and going. Luckily, they do way more with Kyuubei in later episodes that made that character much more endearing. Overall, probably the worst set of Gintama episodes in a while, if not the whole series.

Hard Boiled Detective Arc

One of a couple two parters I want to call out. Absolutely hysterical. I just loved every moment of these episodes. It was comedic, but had some good heart in it as well. The fact the first of the episodes begins with about 10 minutes of narrated stills had me in laughing fits. One of my favorite small arcs the series has done. Just top notch all around.

Bentendo Owee Arc

While Hard Boiled Detective may be one of my favorite small Gintama Arcs, Bentendo Owee is probably my favorite. As someone who's done the dumb thing of standing in line for a new console, it really hit home with me. All the little references made were amazing as well. Sure, it was far from good drama, but it was so damn funny. The writers really outdid themselves with this arc.

Shinsengumi Crisis Arc

The first big real dramatic arc after the Yagyuu arc. I just finished this one. It was neat. The drama didn't hit 100% of the time, but it hit hard when it did hit. The stuff with Kondo and Hijikata was especially good. I didn't love the main villain here, but he got a nice bit of development throughout the course. I think it could of used a bit more comedy to break up the bleak, bleak drama, but it worked. Really nice arc. The only thing I found a bit odd was the amount of hyper-viloence here. Gintama isn't normally all that violent of a show. Even when it is, it doesn't go all that far with it. Here, the violence is super extreme. Blood geysers everywhere. Didn't bother me too much, but felt a bit over the top. Just a bit weird to me is all.

zeroshiki

How in God's name is ONE WORD hard to translate? It's not like "Up" is an abstract concept. Surely there's a Japanese word for the direction up?

Because its meaningless to them? Going up does not in anyway imply flying in Japanese which Pixar was obviously going for in its title.

FYC

Banned
Quick question, does the Trigun anime cover the entirety of the first manga? Just picked up the first Trigun Maximum Omnibus, wondering if I need to read the original manga or can just go from the anime.

CorvoSol

Because its meaningless to them? Going up does not in anyway imply flying in Japanese which Pixar was obviously going for in its title.

But it's just the word "Up." Like climbing UP a tree. How hard could it be?

Eureka Seven 18

This was an oddly melancholy episode. Like, the air of depression was strong in it, what with literally the whole episode being gray. And for once Talho did something interesting and cool.
Oh, and a bullet should be placed in all of Eureka's children's skulls, but three should go into Mater's. I mean seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom