• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

But it's just the word "Up." Like climbing UP a tree. How hard could it be?

Because the Japanese do not speak English? "Up" is only used to mean a closeup shot. You think that would make sense for a flying house?

Climbing up a tree is Nobo-ru 登る
Flying is To-bu 飛ぶ
Jumping is To-bu 跳ぶ

There is no one word for it.

yami4ct

Oh man, forgot about one of my favorite Gintama arcs I've watched.

Okita's Sister Arc

Man, this episode was brilliantly dramatic. Amazing that this largely comedic show can pull off this kind of drama so well, but it did. Had me almost in tears at multiple occasions. Also really helped humanize some of the Shinsengumi. I really think this set the stage and helped make the Shinsengumi Crisis Arc much mire effective.

Because the Japanese do not speak English? "Up" is only used to mean a closeup shot. You think that would make sense for a flying house?

Flying is To-bu 飛ぶ
Jumping is To-bu 跳ぶ

I wonder if they have translation debates in Japan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that Up's Japanese title is in any way inappropriate or harmful to the spirit of the original, it was just particularly useful for my joke because of going from a single two-letter English word to a long string of moon runes.

CorvoSol

Flying is To-bu 飛ぶ
Jumping is To-bu 跳ぶ

Why would you think I meant they should literally use the word Up from the English language. That's just silly. Still, there's no reason they couldn't sum up the entire title in one word in Japanese. "To-bu" might sound odd grammatically but hey, "Up" on its own isn't exactly that correct either.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Eureka Seven 18

This was an oddly melancholy episode. Like, the air of depression was strong in it, what with literally the whole episode being gray. And for once Talho did something interesting and cool.
Oh, and a bullet should be placed in all of Eureka's children's skulls, but three should go into Mater's. I mean seriously.

Linck is by far the worst. Trust me.

wonzo

Banned
korbowaifu.jpg

It's like my very own Season 3!!!

:(

Shakugan no Shana Final 09

This 3ish minute scene where Shana is screaming as she is being dragged by a broken stone maid and then stabbing said broken stone maid with a dagger while still screaming was probably the most hilarious thing ever to happen in this show.

So over the top dramatic, it brought a smile to my face.

CorvoSol

Linck is by far the worst. Trust me.

Is that the one with the scar? Because I'm not wasting bullets on that waste of ink. After I kill Mater with two bullets I'll just hang him from her entrails and have done.

I cannot wish agony and death upon those small children enough.

As a fresh new junior member who yearns for your approval I don't want to rock the boat too much, but I've always wondered something. Why is this thread entirely devoid of impressions for Naruto Shippuden? Do none of you watch it? Should I then stop watching it to fit in? j/k But seriously, an answer would be nice

Dresden

As a fresh new junior member who yearns for your approval I don't want to rock the boat too much, but I've always wondered something. Why is this thread entirely devoid of impressions for Naruto Shippuden? Do none of you watch it? Should I then stop watching it to fit in? j/k But seriously, an answer would be nice

Talk about anything you want. No one will disapprove, although actually reading it would be another matter.

CorvoSol

Well I don't watch it, but I can't speak for everybody else?

Tips for fitting in in Anime-GAF:
1)Don't ever insult what is popular. I've done it like, twice now and Anime-GAF will ram a sharpened stick down your throat for doing it.
2)Watch Sword Art Online and complain about brotherfuggers. It seems to be all the rage.
3)Get a Precure avatar. People do that.

yami4ct

Because no one, except maybe DTL, really watches or cares about Naruto. None of our styles. Feel free to talk about it if you want. You may get some negative push back from people like me who really dislike the show, but it's all in good fun. Debate is good. I always welcome more opinions. If you've got something to talk about, we'll hear it.

There's a separate thread for the Naruto anime. Very few people post in it though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

There's a dedicated Naruto thread in OT like there is for One Piece, if memory serves. There's no rule barring people from discussing the various long-running shounen series in here, but most of the fans populating the OTs aren't AnimeGAF participants so you're just more likely to find impressions and like-minded people to discuss those particular shows with there.

And welcome! Everyone has our approval by default, we don't want anyone to feel like there's any barrier to entry.

edit: looks like watervengeance is right, that thread's not really active. Does anyone here beside cosmic/DTL actually keep up with Shippuuden weekly?

Dead

well not really...yet

Eureka Seven 18

This was an oddly melancholy episode. Like, the air of depression was strong in it, what with literally the whole episode being gray. And for once Talho did something interesting and cool.
Oh, and a bullet should be placed in all of Eureka's children's skulls, but three should go into Mater's. I mean seriously.
watch episode 19 now!

CorvoSol

UGH

Linebarrels of Iron has a terrible OP. UGH what is this song? Seriously already reconsidering watching this show. Like nails on chalk after the totally slick 2nd OP of Eureka 7

yami4ct

1)Don't ever insult what is popular. I've done it like, twice now and Anime-GAF will ram a sharpened stick down your throat for doing it.
2)Watch Sword Art Online and complain about brotherfuggers. It seems to be all the rage.

Eh, don't scare him off with stuff like that. I've insulated a popular series a few times. We've all got our own tastes. Anime-Gaf will forgive just about everything, with maybe a bit of fun teasing. You'll get forgiven double fast if you can back up your points.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
UGH

Linebarrels of Iron has a terrible OP. UGH what is this song? Seriously already reconsidering watching this show. Like nails on chalk after the totally slick 2nd OP of Eureka 7

You'll really be reconsidering when you get past the OP to the show itself.

That's one way to get yourself attention though, if that's what you desire.

CorvoSol

Eh, don't scare him off with stuff like that. I've insulated a popular series a few times. We've all got our own tastes. Anime-Gaf will forgive just about everything, with maybe a bit of fun teasing. You'll get forgiven double fast if you can back up your points.

You still get the stick in the throat man.

You'll really be reconsidering when you get past the OP to the show itself.

Is it that bad? The women are all endowed, and shrill, I guess. EDIT: Yeah they're all really shrill and I already have one skeptical anime to deal with.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is it that bad? The women are all endowed, and shrill, I guess.

My experience with the show was bad CG mechs and an insufferable protagonist, but a couple of people claim that it gets better so I don't want to poison your experience too much based on my own incomplete experience.

Dead

well not really...yet
Linebarrels is probably one of the worst shows Gonzo ever did, also one of the most unlikeable protagonists of anything ever.

Long running shounen outside of Gintama is generally not well-liked by animegaf for whatever reason. Definitely post about it though.

Pertaining to that, I once took a school days recommendation from here to heart. After that, I doubt much else anyone does could actually scare me off

Still bitter

yami4ct

Long running shounen outside of Gintama is generally not well-liked by animegaf for whatever reason. Definitely post about it though.

Not to insult those of you who like the stuff, but that's probably because most long running shonen outside of One Piece, Hunter x Hunter and Gintama have been pretty bad for some time now. Naruto has been predictable, long winded and boring for years. It's still kind of watchable, but very meh. Why I dropped it long, long ago. Bleach, on the other hand, has been down right garbage for quite some time. So much wasted potential there.

There's a dedicated Naruto thread in OT like there is for One Piece, if memory serves. There's no rule barring people from discussing the various long-running shounen series in here, but most of the fans populating the OTs aren't AnimeGAF participants so you're just more likely to find impressions and like-minded people to discuss those particular shows with there.

And welcome! Everyone has our approval by default, we don't want anyone to feel like there's any barrier to entry.

edit: looks like watervengeance is right, that thread's not really active. Does anyone here beside cosmic/DTL actually keep up with Shippuuden weekly?

I've put Shippuden on the back burner for now. Gonna marathon the whole war arc when it finishes.

These long shows can get really tiring and dull over time. Stuff like Gintama does great because it doesn't take itself seriously at all. I've heard so much about One Piece that it sounds like it might be the exception to the rule. It just seems like age and experience tends to push most folks towards shorter series with stories that don't go on for years and years. I'm too old for those huge series. :p

Not to insult those of you who like the stuff, but that's probably because most long running shonen outside of One Piece, Hunter x Hunter and Gintama have been pretty bad for some time now. Naruto has been predictable, long winded and boring for years. It's still kind of watchable, but very meh. Why I dropped it long, long ago. Bleach, on the other hand, has been down right garbage for quite some time. So much wasted potential there.

There's more than just the big 3. Toriko, bro.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Pertaining to that, I once took a school days recommendation from here to heart. After that, I doubt much else anyone does could actually scare me off

Still bitter

We've probably wiped out an entire generation of potential future animegaffers without even knowing it.

The pool of currently-airing long-running shounen is still pretty small on the whole. It's just OP/Naruto/HxH/Toriko/Gintama, right?

yami4ct

I've come to the realization that every serious, continuous, long-running shonen will be subjected to the same fate. It's all going to go to shit at some point. Heck, even One Piece will become unreadable if it keeps going for years into the future. Only so much you can do. Gintama's episodic nature saves it from a lot of that. I just don't really care for any shonen any more outside of a select few.

We've probably wiped out an entire generation of potential future animegaffers without even knowing it.

One day, we'll face a tribunal for this, and have to defend our ignorant actions that could have cost millions of lives.

The pool of currently-airing long-running shounen is still pretty small on the whole. It's just OP/Naruto/HxH/Toriko/Gintama, right?

Fairy Tail, too.

zeroshiki

Well fuck you too!

firehawk is so cute when he's all tsun

Did that show ever get better?

I remember it having really bad animation and nothing but magic circles for attacks.

I haven't watched it in a year or so but its still pretty bad. There's laughable CG Magic circles and the fights are a joke. There is 0 excitement to the fights since you know Natsu will eventually just punch the other guy and it will be over.

I watch it for Juvia and Erza.

Instro

It's been going so long that that most people who might have watched it years ago have dropped it at some point a long the way. The pacing is so slow in those sorts of shows that you wouldn't really have a whole lot to discuss on a weekly basis. Hell I watch Toriko, but its rare that I feel like posting about it unless something significantly interesting happens or the episode itself is of very high quality.

By all means though post about it if you want to, don't feel like you can't/shouldn't post about what shows you watch. All of us have different tastes to begin with, just don't be surprised or discouraged if you only get a few responses to posts regarding long running shows like Naruto.

yami4ct

I've only ever admitted this on IRC but I watch Fairy Tail
sometimes

One day, we'll face a tribunal for this, and have to defend our ignorant actions that could have cost millions of lives.

Fairy Tail, too.

My roommate watches Fairy Tail and Soul Eater. As far as I can tell, it's the only anime he watches. I've seen enough of both to tell I really don't like them. I wouldn't call them outright bad like bleach, but very bland at the very least. Also, Fairy Tail's art is really icky to me.

I don't disagree in the slightest. I only persevere because of how much time I've already devoted to it and my constantly escalating expectations (read:delusions) of how the final battle between Sasuke and Naruto will somehow redeem it.
Also, I can't tell you guys how relieved I am to see all the SAO hate in here. My friends constantly gushing over it made me wary of my own taste. Now I can take solace in the fact that it is indeed shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom