• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My roommate watches Fairy Tail and Soul Eater. As far as I can tell, it's the only anime he watches. I've seen enough of both to tell I really don't like them. I wouldn't call them outright bad like bleach, but very bland at the very least. Also, Fairy Tail's art is really icky to me.

Fairy Tail is complete crap, but Soul Eater is awesome. And definitely not bland at all. That show has great style, and an awesome cast.

It's just a shame about the last four episodes or so. The rest is pretty much all awesome.

yami4ct

I don't disagree in the slightest. I only persevere because of how much time I've already devoted to it and my constantly escalating expectations (read:delusions) of how the final battle between Sasuke and Naruto will somehow redeem it.
Also, I can't tell you guys how relieved I am to see all the SAO hate in here. My friends constantly gushing over it made me wary of my own taste. Now I can take solace in the fact that it is indeed shit.

I luckily managed to break away from Naruto long ago. Bleach......not so much. I've read up through part of the current "Final" arc. At least Naruto is in no way as bad as that. At this point, I will finish Bleach. Maybe Naruto as well. I just have absolutely no interest in them outside of a bizarre dedication from when I had lesser tastes.

GJ-bu 02

OQqqR.jpg
UovhT.jpg

Yeah, it took 18 minutes in before I got to a joke I thought was slightly funny.

Not really funny enough, so if I start losing time to watch stuff, this will be the first to go.

zeroshiki

Fairy Tail is complete crap, but Soul Eater is awesome. And definitely not bland at all. That show has great style, and an awesome cast.

It's just a shame about the last four episodes or so. The rest is pretty much all awesome.

Soul Eater is the debut work of Chiaki Omigawa.

Best show ever.

Wandering Son 2

This is clearly something special. I'm really into the way they portray the characters and create dynamic scenes and dialogues by quickly switching focus between them. It makes the narrative flow amazingly well. But, like I said last week, the most impressive thing is the use of the OST. It almost feels like I'm watching a really long (and good) music video.

I think Glasses-kun is my favorite (curiously, he's the only one whose name I can't recall, haha). And I can't say I dislike any of the other characters either.

Yeah... And the middle-school drama takes me back to better days. Mainly because it never feels forced. Instead, it feels real.
The OST is really good but whats most impressive about the show is they know when not to use music. They do a fantastic job of not letting things devolve into melodrama and the restraint they use with the music is part of that.

The pool of currently-airing long-running shounen is still pretty small on the whole. It's just OP/Naruto/HxH/Toriko/Gintama, right?

Fairy Tail, Detective Conan, Rock Lee if it counts (though that's probably not going to be endless). I guess that's it. There's never much at one time. Can only spread a studio so thin and few have the means to take on a long-running series.

jgminto

I don't disagree in the slightest. I only persevere because of how much time I've already devoted to it and my constantly escalating expectations (read:delusions) of how the final battle between Sasuke and Naruto will somehow redeem it.
Also, I can't tell you guys how relieved I am to see all the SAO hate in here. My friends constantly gushing over it made me wary of my own taste. Now I can take solace in the fact that it is indeed shit.

I like you already.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
As a fresh new junior member who yearns for your approval I don't want to rock the boat too much, but I've always wondered something. Why is this thread entirely devoid of impressions for Naruto Shippuden? Do none of you watch it? Should I then stop watching it to fit in? j/k But seriously, an answer would be nice

Follow me and you shall be trained well.

Did that show ever get better?

I remember it having really bad animation and nothing but magic circles for attacks.

It has bright spots here and there, but for the most part it's probably the worst currently airing long-running shounen adaptation. Better to just read the manga.

Of course, it does have REALLY good music, which for some reason seems common among these kinds of series.

We've probably wiped out an entire generation of potential future animegaffers without even knowing it.

How did the tradition start anyhow? Did some poor soul watch the entirety of it the season it aired and in a fit of rage/self loathing curse the naïve to suffer the same fate? is it just twisted hazing?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fairy Tail, Detective Conan, Rock Lee if it counts (though that's probably not going to be endless). I guess that's it. There's never much at one time. Can only spread a studio so thin and few have the means to take on a long-running series.

It still feels to me like there used to be more, but that was probably just the temporary bump from Beelzebub/Sket Dance which both lasted < 2 years.

OceanBlue

How did the tradition start anyhow? Did some poor soul watch the entirety of it the season it aired and in a fit of rage/self loathing curse the naïve to suffer the same fate? is it just twisted hazing?

Have you heard of how the final episode was delayed by a week because a child brutally murdered her parents (I think it was with an axe?), so they replaced the episode with a montage that included seas and boats?

Truly, some things can only be experienced as they aired.

And her most forgotten will always be Kamigamo Jun in Natsu no Arashi. She's a reverse t-word and Omigawa fans still refuse to watch. You all disappoint me.

I watched that show before I even knew she was in it. Too much drama and not enough general silly time travel antics. The end of every episode was probably the best part of about the whole show.

yami4ct

The only Omigawa role, outside of AO which is a show I refuse to acknowledge now, is Phi from VLR. I really like her in that role. I can see how she wouldn't work for a lot of things, but she did a good job there.

Jintor

Slightly OT, but have any of you ever wondered how awesome a 999 anime adaptation would be? Unless you haven't played the game, in which case, ignore me

a) depends who does it
b) a lot of 999's brilliance comes from the matching of game design to narrative conceits so a linearly-paced tv show is difficult

zeroshiki

The School Days thing started when some dude (Sebulon3k I think) started posting episode impressions as a lark. It got more and more depressing every post and it seriously sounded like he wanted to stab himself by the end. That post series got a lot of laughs around here so people started daring people to watch it until eventually it turned into a stock answer for any call for recommendations.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The only Omigawa role, outside of AO which is a show I refuse to acknowledge now, is Phi from VLR. I really like her in that role. I can see how she wouldn't work for a lot of things, but she did a good job there.

Doesn't matter. The English dub for VLR is solid.

It's not "hazing" as much as an introduction into anime-gaf's strange sense of humor.

I'm not laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom