• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

My waifu.

xwL2x.jpg

yami4ct

Slightly OT, but have any of you ever wondered how awesome a 999 anime adaptation would be? Unless you haven't played the game, in which case, ignore me

I don't see how it'd work. A lot of what makes the game work is the repetition which would just fail miserably in an anime adaptation. I think 999 works because it's a game. It's a uniquely video game experience.

Perhaps recommending bad-good anime as a rule has hit its nadir and we should start recommending good-good anime again.

I think it's still OK as long as it's part of a mix, and clearly labeled. Certainly, we should recommend good stuff as well. It's stuff that people should see, but they should know what they are getting into. Tricking people is no good.

Branduil

Perhaps recommending bad-good anime as a rule has hit its nadir and we should start recommending good-good anime again.

Or if we're going to recommend bad shows, they should be entertaining from the start like Glass Fleet and Garzey's Wing and not require a lengthy and painful initial investment solely for the entertainment of the thread.

yami4ct

Doesn't matter. The English dub for VLR is solid.

The english dub, as far as game dubs go, was pretty good. I played with it a bit before switching it back to the Japanese one. The dub is fine, but I still much preferred the Japanese voices.

Tricking people was the only reason the School Days thing was ever fun in the first place, though.

I watched School Days of my own volition. Fully knowing what I was getting into. I still had fun and enjoyed riffing on the show. Take that for what you will.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE 18

Here's another problem I have with this show. In TWO episodes, Xehanort, Ave Maria and Assmu have gone from being complete strangers to best pals. An entire YEAR has passed, if not more. These two episodes were NOT used to develop those relationships. So when, inevitably, I am forced to endure their angsty in-fighting in a post high school world, I won't give two damns that their friendship has crumbled into a horrible sense of loathing and hatred, because 1) that's all I feel for them anyway and 2) it's not like any meaningful friendship was built up for me to give two damns about.

"I'll never forget the time I spent here!"

I will, because it passed in literally two montages over the course of ten, MAYBE fifteen minutes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I'm all for never offering an initiation into the Deeper Mysteries until new people have been exposed to several legit good things. It's just common decency at this point.

A wild musou fan appears!

Actually not.

<mylife>
But I started to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms and got inspired by Guan Yu so I searched internet to get an avatar out of him. And DW was a mine of Guan Yu avatars.
</mylife>

+ I agree with Kayos, Guilty Crown is good. Not top-tier anime, but good.

yami4ct

You guys gave me mostly good-good anime when I ask for recommendations, at least.

I think when I first popped in and got recommendations, my stuff was mostly all awesome. Things like Tsuritama and Space Brothers became some of my favorites of the year. To be fair, you guys subjected me to Accel World, but it can't all be awesome.

I'm all for never offering an initiation into the Deeper Mysteries until new people have been exposed to several legit good things. It's just common decency at this point.

Since we can't correct the past, how about you start with me. AnimeGAF's first act of redemption.

Things I've watched that I've liked:
Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Accel World (In a so bad its good way)
Gintama
From the New World

Not an exhaustive list by any means. I'm a fan of self aware characters such as those in bakemonogatari and gintama, so anything close would be awesome to learn about

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Omigawa only does one type of voice. At least from what I heard. I don't particularly like her voice either.

Since we can't correct the past, how about you start with me. AnimeGAF's first act of redemption.

Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World

Not an exhaustive list by any means. I'm a fan of self aware characters such as those in bakemonogatari and gintama, so anything close would be awesome to learn about

Watch Fate/Zero and Hyouka. Also Chuunibyou and uhh.... I'll get back to you.

Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World

Watch Sora no Woto because that's something that I recommend at any time for any reason. And also because it's fantastic.

yami4ct

Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World

Top of my head Tsuritama, Space Brothers, Jojo and, especially, Hunter x Hunter. Hunter x Hunter takes like 20 episodes to get amazing, but when it does it's the best shonen around. The stuff that's gone on this year is insane. I love the manga and to see it get such a great adaptation is one of my favorite parts of being an anime fan. Of course, I assume you have the standard anime fan list done already. Classics like Cowboy Bebop are eternal and are must watch for anime fans. Most have seen it, but it bears bringing up if you're at all new enough to miss it.

If you ever want to do something crazy and do something like start watching Gundam, let me know. I can start you on the right path. It can be hard to figure out what to watch there, but it can be quite rewarding if you give it a chance.

As for another "so bad it's good", dude, watch Blood-C. It's bad, but it's amazing. I legit love that show.

Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World

Watch Katanagatari if you haven't seen it. It's by the same author of Bakemonogatari.

Also Kokoro Connect.

zeroshiki

Omigawa was legit good as Hotori. Can't take that away from her whether it be just by pure chance that her voice matched the character or what.

Also, watch:

Crest of the Stars
Banner of the Stars 1
Banner of the Stars 2
Banner of the Stars 3

OceanBlue

Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World

Watch Tatami Galaxy.

Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Nichijou
Nekomonogatari
Tsuritama
Yuru Yuri(cuz why not)
Joshiraku(dat self awareness)
Space Brothers

I'd recommend starting off with Joshiraku, Nekomonogatari and Madoka. There is enough funny there to cancel out those Madoka feels and you get more monogatari. Space Brothers is so uplifting that you'll be floating like a balloon in no time.

Shakugan no Shana Final 10

This was at least a fun episode. Once again, almost most of the focus was taken away from the main cast so proving they are crap. Nice and fun action for once. I better enjoy all this fighting before you know, they start talking again or those crappy characters return.

CorvoSol

What, a member of the Asuno family is forced to confront the harsh realities of life and the fact that they're wrong? NO BECAUSE THE UE IS HERE TO DISTRACT LIFE AGAIN.

FUCK THIS BULLSHIT WRITING.

trejo

Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World

Oh! Edo Rocket.

Moonlight

Banned
Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari

Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World
Us juniors should stick together.

I'm in love with what I've seen of Tsuritama, so I'd definitely go ahead and recommend that. I'd also insist that you watch Hyouka, which is easily my favourite anime of 2012. It's a bit slow, and very deliberate, but the character interaction is marvelous and the pay-off of those interactions and how its' cast grows is just amazing. It's also extraordinarily beautiful, easily the best looking TV anime made in years.

If you're a fan of self-aware humour, I think you might enjoy Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei or Joshiraku. Joshiraku is a bit harder to follow by virtue of a lot of jokes being lost in translation, but they're some of the best comedies I've ever seen. And constantly poking fun at itself and other anime. You should also check out Humanity Has Declined, it's a really clever satire with some great black comedy and a really distinctive art style. There's a few mediocre episodes, but it really picks itself back up as it heads back into it's conclusion.

You might also enjoy JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, which is fabulous. And I mean fabulous.

Saint Seiya Omega 40

Oh damn, surprisingly heavy episode. Soma and Sonia have probably the most interesting character dynamic in this series so far imo, and this took that relationship to its conclusion. It also gave us an actual believable battle, which is something you rarely see against Gold Saints in this franchise.
Her not really being a Gold Saint made it winnable without the need for asspulls.

And that ending sure was something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom