• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

Mark my word's, Tamako Market will have an awesome Neighborhood Street Shrine Festival/Obon episode.

It's really difficult to explain if you haven't finished it (I hope you did), but I'm talking about the true ending. It's a brilliant moment of real life ingenuity that is never explained in-game, but it's so fucking clever it made me realise video games are not as dead as I thought. It's just the people behind them that are so incompetent.
Only finished twice, lost interest when I tried to look at a guide for getting to the true ending.

Even if you made a 999 with the Safe Ending, and then made 999 After Story for the "True" Ending, it still wouldn't be quite right. There are hardware-specific things about 999's story that wouldn't have the same impact in an anime, no matter how many endings you ran.

The
bottom screen thing
isn't essential, the story could be told without it.

Kagami

Just out of curiosity, why do you like it? You're not the only one who I've seen say that, so I wonder if your reason is similar to the other reasons. You've played the visual novels as well, right?

Yeah I was a fan of the game before the TV show came about.
Obviously that's part of it. The TV series is very faithful to characters I was already attached to. There are a few bits here and there that were weaker than in the game, and of course it combines multiple endings together into one super-ending that doesn't exist in the game, but I think that was a great way to end the TV series with a bang rather than just picking any single game ending.

But even putting aside looking at it as an adaptation, School Days the anime has a brand of steadily building craziness that just makes me grin. It reminds me somewhat of my enjoyment of Code Geass R2. Not just random nonsense, but events build upon previous events until it spirals out of control.
The characters are distinctive and amusing, Gotou Junji's character design is attractive, the animation didn't stand out but was adequate, it has some great vocal songs in the episode endings.

It also managed to create the most despised character in the history of anime. Despite not breaking a single law, Itou Makoto is more hated than the most vile of villains from any other show. If that's not an accomplishment, I don't know what is.

OceanBlue

Mark my word's, Tamako Market will have an awesome Neighborhood Street Shrine Festival/Obon episode.

I think the most impressive thing to look forward to will be Tamako's birthday. I mean, I'm sure they established Tamako's birthday being forgotten all of the time for a reason! At first I wasn't convinced the show would span a year, but with the Valentine's Day timeskip I'm kinda expecting it now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's beautiful and Tamako's cute, but that's it. There's nothing happening. It's just boring.
I felt like stuff happened in the most recent episode. It was all centered around Valentine's Day and there was a lot of stuff going on related to that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tamako Market 02
It's beautiful and Tamako's cute, but that's it. There's nothing happening. It's just boring.
To say that nothing happened makes it seem like the show is completely about "omg cute cute cute", and I don't think that's true. The focus in episode two is clearly Midori's
lingering feelings for Tamako/Mochizou and her inability to even explain what they are or how she should react to them
, but of course this does bring up certain problems since she was nothing but an incidental character in episode one. It feels like the thing has gone astray when in fact the whole thing hasn't even been set into motion --episode one was completely expository, with the bird added to bring a thread of mystery into the story but not really playing into the life dynamics of Tamako.

But yes, I agree it was boring. I, however, blame my own tastes here. I was discussing this with Chet in the Kyoto Animation/Future Pretty Cure thread, actually: after K-ON!! I seem to be unable to enjoy anything slice of lifey. It killed the genre for me and it's probably a huge reason why I cannot seem to be able to engage with the characters in Tamako Market anymore.

999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors
Only finished twice, lost interest when I tried to look at a guide for getting to the true ending.
Well that's sad. The game seriously needed a way to skip puzzles, so I can understand your frustration.

Milamber

I can already see the debate in July. We should just copy/paste posts then about Hyouka with 'Chitanda' replaced by 'Tamako.'

aLxEd.gif

Jex

tamako market - 02

Fun episode, but something about the unreserved cheer and happiness of the adults bothers me. It's one thing for the children and the teens to act that way - because I'm so used to the idealized, nostalgic depiction of youth in anime - but seeing the old men and women of that shopping district be so friendly is very weird. Even the competitors mock-spar in a friendly way. Where's all the bitter worrying and gossiping and the usual establishment of social dynamics and hierarchy as would exist in any other societal niche? I know Tamako isn't that kind of a show, but still, moe is more moe when there's rage.[...]
It's this kind of thinking that would lead superhero movies to become dark and realistic.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I can already see the debate in July. We should just copy/paste posts then about Hyouka with 'Chitanda' replaced by 'Tamako.'

I know. That's why it's weirding me out. I loved Hyouka, but now I'm finding myself looking at Tamako Market in the same way people who thought Hyouka was boring looked at that show. Maybe I just don't like the characters as much as I liked Oreki and crew? I'm not sure yet...

But I believe in KyoAni. They'll make me change my mind.

Ton's of stuffs happening tho.

I don't feel it.

cajunator

Banned
Where's the buck naked women cover of S&W?

Its even canon!
Maybe its too lewd :(

Pertaining to that, I once took a school days recommendation from here to heart. After that, I doubt much else anyone does could actually scare me off

Still bitter

You merely survived trial by fire. you are now a better animegaffer for it. You have endured and are one of us. AnimeGaf-STRONG.

Having a girl named Ikaruga in a boobies show just makes me wonder whether one nipple is pink, the other brown, and there's a damage-negation mechanic in switching between them.

This is a fascinating and potentially clever idea.

Amazing series. bluray when?
I know, never :(

How did the tradition start anyhow? Did some poor soul watch the entirety of it the season it aired and in a fit of rage/self loathing curse the naïve to suffer the same fate? is it just twisted hazing?

At this point its just a trial. If I might add its also a pretty fun watch the first time, because although you pretty much hate the characters in it, you cant stop watching. And then it happens. The reactions are absolutely priceless for the uninitiated.
Wonzo's avatar cried for many weeks afterwards.

That's the only SHAFT show within the past few years that I haven't watched. Thanks for the reminder.

Here's another reminder!
Listen to that OP!
Can you resist that? I bet you can't!

But that isn't Hidamari Sketch.

You present a fine point. Hidamari is shaft's best anything and everything.
Wideface is still very popular!

Perhaps recommending bad-good anime as a rule has hit its nadir and we should start recommending good-good anime again.

Nah. It never gets old. New members come in all the time and they should be able to experience it.

My waifu.

fuck yeah brother bear!

Once heralded as the savior of anime.

I remember this. Thats the reason it is so reviled. People expected the next Code Geass and got shit on.

I'm disappointed in people who can't see the greatness of Omigawa. It must be a soulless life.

It must. Us Omigawa fans are few but proud. Stand up for what you believe in my brothers!

Since we can't correct the past, how about you start with me. AnimeGAF's first act of redemption.

Things I've watched that I've liked:
Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Accel World (In a so bad its good way)
Gintama
From the New World

Not an exhaustive list by any means. I'm a fan of self aware characters such as those in bakemonogatari and gintama, so anything close would be awesome to learn about

Hmmm. Madoka Magica and Fate Zero are great recent starting points. Watch those and go from there. Also, listen to the raven and watch Martian successor Nadesico even though its old, because its amazing.

Watch Sora no Woto because that's something that I recommend at any time for any reason. And also because it's fantastic.

any friend of Sora no Woto is a friend of mine!

Greatest ED of all time.

There's those last 4 episodes if you haven't watched em. And with it's sales due to some seiyuu controversy, a second season is doubtful.

It is indeed a fantastic ED.
Just going by OP/ED though, Fractale and Kamisama Dolls have excellent ones too. The shows themselves are a different matter (althougH I like them both)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
The
bottom screen thing
isn't essential, the story could be told without it.
You could tell the story without it, but the narrative climax would lose its meaning (aka
Akane finally letting herself be aided by Junpei instead of the other way around
). And that's without even getting into the fact that
Junpei is seeing the alternate paths from start to finish.
You could pull that with Endless Eight levels of shenanigans, but I'm not sure anyone would like that in a televised medium.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

You could tell the story without it, but the narrative climax would lose its meaning (aka
Akane finally letting herself be aided by Junpei instead of the other way around
You could pull that with Endless Eight levels of shenanigans, but I'm not sure anyone would like that in a televised medium.

And isn't Uchikoshi all about game theory and "gaming as a media that can't be reproduced by any other media"? I wonder if he'd even like the idea of an anime adaptation of his works.

Jex

I see we have a mix of juniors and general fresh blood in here. Welcome, everyone.

I recommend that you don't trust anything anyone says until you've read the thread for about a week.

I agree, a lot would be lost in an adaptation. You could
get away with only doing two loops, even in the game the stuff outside the Safe and True routes is pretty superfluous.
It could be done, but you'd be sacrificing too many of the elements that makes the story interesting.

And isn't Uchikoshi all about game theory and "gaming as a media that can't be reproduced by any other media"? I wonder if he'd even like the idea of an anime adaptation of his works.

Not to mention the VLR OVA isn't canon for a pretty major reason since it wouldn't work outside the game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I see we have a mix of juniors and general fresh blood in here. Welcome, everyone.
I wanna believe that it was my adventure in the Famitsu thread that brought them all. Now all I have to do is convince some PopGAF members and soon my Brocure Army will be ready to take down the K-ON thread.

Jex

Wow, that poll has 200 voters! AnimeGAF apparently has a lot more lurkers than I had ever imagined. Glad to see that 91 other people made the right choice.

And those are only the lurkers who have access to a GAF account. Theoretically there are more lurkers that don't even have an account.

OceanBlue

I know. That's why it's weirding me out. I loved Hyouka, but now I'm finding myself looking at Tamako Market in the same way people who thought Hyouka was boring looked at that show. Maybe I just don't like the characters as much as I liked Oreki and crew? I'm not sure yet...

But I believe in KyoAni. They'll make me change my mind.

Maybe it's because Tamako Market is, at this point, more aimless than K-On season one? K-On, at least initially, had that music aspect and Hyouka had its mysteries. It's also true that the Classics Club has a very different group dynamic than the cast in Tamako Market. I think Dresden's post highlights that aspect. If the ambiance and direction aren't enough for you, then I'd understand if you'd feel as if it were boring or that nothing is happening.

I'd say that Tamako Market kinda feels like a faster version of K-On season two, but it doesn't have all of its characters introduced in the same way K-On season two did. I love it so far, but I wonder if maybe you aren't enjoying it because you don't feel that the show has given you a hook yet. I'm not sure yet though. Maybe more episodes airing will reveal more about this.

To be honest, at first I was thinking that people who found it boring probably didn't like K-On or don't like Yamada's style of directing or something, but Regulus completely threw out that idea.

OceanBlue

Yeah I was a fan of the game before the TV show came about.
Obviously that's part of it. The TV series is very faithful to characters I was already attached to. There are a few bits here and there that were weaker than in the game, and of course it combines multiple endings together into one super-ending that doesn't exist in the game, but I think that was a great way to end the TV series with a bang rather than just picking any single game ending.

But even putting aside looking at it as an adaptation, School Days the anime has a brand of steadily building craziness that just makes me grin. It reminds me somewhat of my enjoyment of Code Geass R2. Not just random nonsense, but events build upon previous events until it spirals out of control.
The characters are distinctive and amusing, Gotou Junji's character design is attractive, the animation didn't stand out but was adequate, it has some great vocal songs in the episode endings.

It also managed to create the most despised character in the history of anime. Despite not breaking a single law, Itou Makoto is more hated than than the most vile of villains from any other show. If that's not an accomplishment, I don't know what is.

Lol, I see. I've seen people who liked School Days describe it as watching a trainwreck. Some people like it because it twists harem tropes. Some people like it because they like trainwrecks and watching Itou Makoto get his comeuppance. Being familiar with the characters is probably a big factor too.

Welcome all juniors and noobs. Anime-GAF is a loving and caring community. Hugs for all!

Thanks.

I didn't have much time to watch anime recently that will change -I'll lower me LoL playingtime- so...

I'll start with Jojo and Zetman (I've seen the first episodes of Zetman then gave because I lacked time)

cajunator

Banned
I thought we stopped recommending Bad-Bad shows without proper warning.

Code Geass is not a bad bad show. It is a bad masterpiece!
Well season 1 is anyway.

I'm going to start with Tsuritama since I'm already 4 episodes in. Don't worry, I'll make sure to post impressions for Blood-C

Thats a great show to keep watching. Blood-C is...hmm....SPECIAL.
Spoil nothing guys!

Me too, as far as I know, so far that has not produced any results.

I see what you did there. Our aim is not to produce P.T.S.D.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I never said it was good. I explicitly said that it was very bad!
"Hey kid you know smoking is bad for you and all right? Lung cancer and that stuff. But... why don't you try it once? C'mon, just once, as social skill building. You don't have to get addicted..."

"Just the tip baby, please!"

dimb

Thanks.

I didn't have much time to watch anime recently that will change -I'll lower me LoL playingtime- so...

I'll start with Jojo and Zetman (I've seen the first episodes of Zetman then gave because I lacked time)
I found Zetman to be really horrible. I don't know if it's worth pursuing or not.

Mandoric

Banned
Code Geass is not a bad bad show. It is a bad masterpiece!
Well season 1 is anyway.

Thats a great show to keep watching. Blood-C is...hmm....SPECIAL.
Spoil nothing guys!

I see what you did there. Our aim is not to produce P.T.S.D.

Piles of Titties, Stonking great D-cups?

Dresden

from the new world - 04

Oh hey, it's Sugita in his serious-business voice.

4DSDBl.jpg

I wish I'd kept up with the show as it aired. I've avoided most of the chatter so far, but it's impossible to stay away from some of the talk about how Yamauchi eats dick or all the buttsqueeze/yurikiss gifs. Not looking forward to episode five, despite being quite interested in just what might happen.

The first half may have been one big infodump, but I suppose it's a good example of how to do it right - set it up with a world that the viewer is interested/invested in, and space it out in such a way as to be the conclusion of one adventure while leading up to the next. There's no lull after the exposition. Didn't give this much more thought, other than that, as clumsy as it could be, I still enjoyed it.

Was gonna watch this series until I saw it was given the NTR-effect tag on anidb then I just decided I didn't need that kind of frustration.

What does NTR-effect mean?

I found Zetman to be really horrible. I don't know if it's worth pursuing or not.

Good. Time saved for better shows.
And now I have to see School Days after all the teasing everyone's doing.

I'm gonna complain when I finish it. Be warned.

dimb

from the new world - 04
I've avoided most of the chatter so far, but it's impossible to stay away from some of the talk about how Yamauchi eats dick or all the buttsqueeze/yurikiss gifs.
It was really a bummer to see that stuff so unabashedly posted around when I was behind. I guess there is some positivity in knowing it's probably still not entirely what you think.

It's that behavior you see a rich kid who can have any toy in the world wants the very one he saw another kid playing with because that kid really looked like he was having fun with the toy. The more fun the kid has, the more the rich kid has a boner for it.

Thanks. It is more explicit than the gif and I find now that the said gif was quite appropriate.

If ever an anime needed to die in a fire...

Seriously, School Days is worse than AIDS and I mean that :-|

You realize that this kind of statements just make people want to see it?

If it's that bad, shouldn't people jst stop talking about it? It should then slowly disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom