• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aaron Sorkin can have my babies.
Coke babies! Snort snort.

And her most forgotten will always be Kamigamo Jun in Natsu no Arashi. She's a reverse t-word and Omigawa fans still refuse to watch. You all disappoint me.
Still fighting the fight. lol

GJ
rXj80l.jpg

XgOl3l.jpg

So boring.
(I suppose SDBurton would like the pander-yuri. :p)

SnI
jh1s0l.jpg

This is boring too.

These shows need a bigger hook than four girls and one guy. If not sex jokes... then jokes of any kind would help.

Since we can't correct the past, how about you start with me. AnimeGAF's first act of redemption.

Things I've watched that I've liked:
Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Accel World (In a so bad its good way)
Gintama
From the New World

Not an exhaustive list by any means. I'm a fan of self aware characters such as those in bakemonogatari and gintama, so anything close would be awesome to learn about

K-ON!
K-ON!!
K-ON! Movie

Thanks all for the wholehearted reccommendations :D Through helping me so extensively you've all effectively doomed my chances in college this semester. So Ill start small and go with Hyouka, Tsuritama, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Blood C and Joshiraku. I'll make an effort to get to the rest after :)

Thanks all for the wholehearted reccommendations :D Through helping me so extensively you've all effectively my chances in college this semester. So Ill start small and go with Hyouka, Tsuritama, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Blood C and Joshiraku. I'll make an effort to get to the rest after :)

If possible, please document your progress in Madoka and Blood C. I'm sure we would love to see your reactions to every episode.

Ultimadrago

Thanks all for the wholehearted reccommendations :D Through helping me so extensively you've all effectively doomed my chances in college this semester. So Ill start small and go with Hyouka, Tsuritama, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Blood C and Joshiraku. I'll make an effort to get to the rest after :)

Bringing up your avatar real quick, I want to go see Paperman one day,

jgminto

Since we can't correct the past, how about you start with me. AnimeGAF's first act of redemption.

Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World

Not an exhaustive list by any means. I'm a fan of self aware characters such as those in bakemonogatari and gintama, so anything close would be awesome to learn about

You should also list the stuff you don't like. It's just as important really. The only show you and I have in common is S;G, but I'll recommend you some good stuff anyway.

Death Note It'd be weird if I didn't recommend it. It's also amazing
Monster A true gem. Goes at it's own pace and is able to create an intricate, detailed story because of it.
Madoka Magica To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this. Magical girls, really? But just watch it, don't read up on it, just watch it. It's amazing.

Good stuff

Also Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, the manliest anime of the century.

yami4ct

If possible, please document your progress in Madoka and Blood C. I'm sure we would love to see your reactions to every episode.

Dude, I cannot to see your reactions to Blood-C. You need to do a record of each and every moment. That show is magic.

Speaking of Madoka, I need to check it out. Always been put off by the character art, but given its hype here it can't be bad. It's on the list. Will get to it soon.

Speaking of Saint Seiya Omega, worth checking out even if you have no prior exposure to the franchise? If no, what's a good jumping on point? Looking for a new series to check out and Saint Seiya has always been sort of interesting to me.

It's alright, but I don't know if I'd personally recommend it to someone. IMO, the only thing in the franchise that's REALLY worth watching is Lost Canvas, which is a prequel OVA.

The original is definitely loved, but at this point I'd say it's pretty outdated. I forced myself through it because I can't be a shounen professor without it. Had I seen it as a kid, I have no doubt in my mind I would have loved it, but after animegaf ruined me, the rough spots and reused animation kind of bugged me.

But yeah, if you're interested in Omega, you don't really need to know anything else about the franchise.

OceanBlue

It's a nice demo of some interesting technology that might be used to emulate 2D animation one day. The story itself is pretty simple. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it though. You can't find it on Youtube or something?

CorvoSol

I recommend you watch Full Metal Panic! and, more to the point, Martian Successor Nadesico.

Because everyone's life is an empty hollow until they've seen Nadesico.

yami4ct

It's alright, but I don't know if I'd personally recommend it to someone. IMO, the only thing in the franchise that's REALLY worth watching is Lost Canvas, which is a prequel OVA.

The original is definitely loved, but at this point I'd say it's pretty outdated. I forced myself through it because I can't be a shounen professor without it. Had I seen it as a kid, I have no doubt in my mind I would have loved it, but after animegaf ruined me, the rough spots and reused animation kind of bugged me.

Hmmm. Interesting. I may get to it someday. It's a weird missing spot in my anime history. I feel the need to see something from it. May give Lost Canvas a go and call it good.

I didn't want to bring it up for fear of discussing western animation in an anime thread, but FUCK YES. Paperman should be seen by all. I am desperately hoping that Disney uses that animation style in their next feature length movie :DD

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Actually not.

<mylife>
But I started to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms and got inspired by Guan Yu so I searched internet to get an avatar out of him. And DW was a mine of Guan Yu avatars.
</mylife>

It's just as well! Perhaps more dignified that way anyway :lol

Steins;Gate
Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Gintama
From the New World

Self-awareness, huh? That's an interesting place to start. If you like Gintama, have you considered Daily Lives of High School Boys or Ixion Saga DT? As for Bakemonogatari, if you like how it handles otaku tropes, you may want to test the waters on a couple of other SHAFT series--consider Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei or Arakawa Under the Bridge.

I've never seen Cross Game, but it's a drama/romance, right? If you like the retro aesthetic, ever consider Maison Ikkoku? If you like the campy action of Accel World, you might want to check out Needless or Scryed. Steins;Gate I find pretty impossible to use as a springboard for recommendations just because of just how broad its appeal seems to be among different kinds of anime fans. Just watch Birdy the Mighty Decode if you're looking for emotional sci-fi, I guess.

What specifically do you like about From the New World? If you like classy shows that are enormous commercial failures I guess there's Dennou Coil. If you like suspense/horror/conspiracy that incorporates Japanese tradition, consider Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

I guess that cleanses my soul a little at least!

Stop it right now!

You didn't mention mons&#8224;er, mirai nikki and katanagatari. (Did you see Code Geass? if not itshould become your #1 priority)

Review your list at once!

Instro

Speaking of Saint Seiya Omega, worth checking out even if you have no prior exposure to the franchise? If no, what's a good jumping on point? Looking for a new series to check out and Saint Seiya has always been sort of interesting to me.

Omega is completely watchable without prior knowledge of the series. There is some minor background knowledge you could look up, and a few characters from previous shows that appear rarely, but SSO makes a point to introduce them and so on.

As far as the show itself is concerned, SSO has been all over the place, so I can't exactly recommend it in earnest but there have certainly been good sections and high quality stand out episodes that are well worth watching. The show hit some extreme lows early on, particularly during some stretches in the first half, but the 2nd half has been fairly solid for the most part. Just expect lots of shounen haato and other cheese.

Omega is completely watchable without prior knowledge of the series. There is some minor background knowledge you could look up, and a few characters from previous shows that appear rarely, but SSO makes a point to introduce them and so on.

As far as the show itself is concerned, SSO has been all over the place, so I can't exactly recommend it in earnest but there have certainly been good sections and high quality stand out episodes that are well worth watching. The show hit some extreme lows early on, particularly during some stretches in the first half, but the 2nd half has been fairly solid for the most part. Just expect lots of shounen haato and other cheese.

I didn't like Omega so much though I loved the main series.

If the main series is too much at a time for you, I'd say that Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas is a good a starting point. It's still not completely finished though.

yami4ct

So some standard shonen problems with some good stuff and weak stuff? I could probably deal with that. May check it out sometime if I'm in the mood. Sometimes you just want some kind of dumb shonen.

Code Geass is a very good-good anime.

You have no taste if you can't recognize that
Just kidding
kind of

Code Geass has good mecha action ruined by an awful cast and an inane story. Yeah, I really dislike that show.

What specifically do you like about From the New World? If you like classy shows that are enormous commercial failures I guess there's Dennou Coil. If you like suspense/horror/conspiracy that incorporates Japanese tradition, consider Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

I guess that cleanses my soul a little at least!

:(

I Like its ability to create an atmosphere where both I and the characters that inhabit its world feel unwelcome

Stop it right now!

You didn't mention mons†er, mirai nikki and katanagatari. (Did you see Code Geass? if not itshould become your #1 priority)

Review your list at once!

I've seen Code Geass, multiple times :D

OceanBlue

I didn't want to bring it up for fear of discussing western animation in an anime thread, but FUCK YES. Paperman should be seen by all. I am desperately hoping that Disney uses that animation style in their next feature length movie :DD

Here's a pretty neat video providing insight on how some parts of Paperman were produced, if anyone's interested. I believe this was linked here on AnimeGAF before, so most people have probably seen it already.

I definitely would enjoy a feature-length movie in Paperman's style. It'd be interesting to see in rich colors as well.

wonzo

Banned
Tamako Market 2

tamako2.jpg

This show definitely knows how to hit all the right notes. It's just so fun to watch the really energetic antics of the marketplace unfold!

I'm not trolling though. I am sincerely recommending Guilty Crown. Just because I didn't explicitly state WHY I recommend GC doesn't mean I'm trolling.
Sounds like something a troll would say!!

yami4ct

I didn't like Omega so much though I loved the main series.

If the main series is too much at a time for you, I'd say that Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas is a good a starting point. It's still not completely finished though.

I guess I'll check out Lost Canvas, and if I'm desperate for more, go to Omega from there. Really just want to check that box, honestly. Always seemed like something that may be up my alley. Need to give it a shot.

Kagami

The only Omigawa role, outside of AO which is a show I refuse to acknowledge now, is Phi from VLR. I really like her in that role. I can see how she wouldn't work for a lot of things, but she did a good job there.

She's fine in Bodacious Space Pirates.

Perhaps recommending bad-good anime as a rule has hit its nadir and we should start recommending good-good anime again.
As someone who genuinely likes the School Days anime adaptation, I'm never sure what to say on this topic. In any case I'm not interested in tricking people into seeing it; I'd describe it straightforwardly as "a romance comedy that veers off into unusually crazy territory, and lots of people hate it." But I wouldn't ever discourage someone from watching it because who knows, they might be like me.

OceanBlue

She's fine in Bodacious Space Pirates.

As someone who genuinely likes the School Days anime adaptation, I'm never sure what to say on this topic. In any case I'm not interested in tricking people into seeing it; I'd describe it straightforwardly as "a romance comedy that veers off into unusually crazy territory, and lots of people hate it." But I wouldn't ever discourage someone from watching it because who knows, they might be like me.

Just out of curiosity, why do you like it? You're not the only one who I've seen say that, so I wonder if your reason is similar to the other reasons. You've played the visual novels as well, right?

cajunator

Banned
I would have shit my pants if I were in his position haha.

Quite possibly its the world's most awkward situation. Can think of few other circumstances in which the reputation of your life is in the balance.

Oh, yes, the weebification of MAL continues unabated. I recently noticed all of these on my own list:

6jE04.png
VZ0Rc.png
AOzJ4.png
4gHHV.png
pTf4P.png

fuck's sake

Yeah this shit is getting old. I cannot identify half of my list anymore.

Rah Xephon 5

It's like Evangelion, except instead of a emotional wreckage there's just a bunch of social awkwardness.

Thats a good way to describe it, plus Rahxephon uses music very effectively in the plot.

I'm disappointed you cannot appreciate the wonders of Japan.

You should post more often if youre gonna use something as cute as Demon Girl Holo as your avatar. Something that cute holds great responsibility!

I mean, it has an Academy Award with that title. Its official. Studio Ghibli (I'm sorry, Sutajio Jiburi) recognizes it by the Spirited Away name.

Yeah no shit. Its pretty ridiculous and overbearing now.

No, this is.

i5jdghqgm3KPm.PNG

I remember this show was listed as Musou Dairinin in Newtype magazine, but susequently was talked about as Paranoia Agent once it became official.

korbowaifu.jpg

It's like my very own Season 3!!!

:(

Your poor dear. Post more holo pictures :3

As a fresh new junior member who yearns for your approval I don't want to rock the boat too much, but I've always wondered something. Why is this thread entirely devoid of impressions for Naruto Shippuden? Do none of you watch it? Should I then stop watching it to fit in? j/k But seriously, an answer would be nice

Naruto is an aging series and only a small handful of animeGaffers would care to discuss it at this point. One Piece gets talked about occasionally though. Its not discouraged but its just not a show that fits Gaf's current interest.

Dresden

tamako market - 02

So delightfully quaint.

AZbV1l.jpg

Fun episode, but something about the unreserved cheer and happiness of the adults bothers me. It's one thing for the children and the teens to act that way - because I'm so used to the idealized, nostalgic depiction of youth in anime - but seeing the old men and women of that shopping district be so friendly is very weird. Even the competitors mock-spar in a friendly way. Where's all the bitter worrying and gossiping and the usual establishment of social dynamics and hierarchy as would exist in any other societal niche? I know Tamako isn't that kind of a show, but still, moe is more moe when there's rage.

I guess everyone focused on the omgyuri~, but I hope it's just a passing thing. Too many of these shows are hellbent on establishing true love at such a low age. I wonder if all those lingering shots they drop on Tamako from Midori's perspective are just misdirection.

Otherwise, good show, AOTS, etc, etc.

jgminto

I bet Tamako Market will become a reverse harem show. Tamako's already got the boy next door, her school friend and a talking bird lusting after her, the prince dude will obviously fall for her as well and she will be clueless and oblivious to all of it.

Milamber

Hyouka 01-17

9uxY8.gif

iydHuSZGESM3i.gif

In the final stretch. The Kan'ya Festival was awesome. So far all negative comments on this show has proven to be wrong as of 17 eps (My personal opinion). I like it, It's like reading my Hardy Boys, 3 Investigators and Nancy Drew again.

Delicious. And it will get more delicious tomorrow.

And the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
As a fresh new junior member who yearns for your approval I don't want to rock the boat too much, but I've always wondered something. Why is this thread entirely devoid of impressions for Naruto Shippuden? Do none of you watch it? Should I then stop watching it to fit in? j/k But seriously, an answer would be nice
We watch far too much haremshit smut to even contemplate watching shounen smut.
Having a girl named Ikaruga in a boobies show just makes me wonder whether one nipple is pink, the other brown, and there's a damage-negation mechanic in switching between them.
Chet. Draw this, Now.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
People are having a blast with Tamako Market?

... Oh God. I think after two KyoAni shows in a row I've finally reached grumpy status.

The OST is really good but whats most impressive about the show is they know when not to use music. They do a fantastic job of not letting things devolve into melodrama and the restraint they use with the music is part of that.

Yup. The sound direction in this show is top-notch.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Slightly OT, but have any of you ever wondered how awesome a 999 anime adaptation would be? Unless you haven't played the game, in which case, ignore me
999's ending wouldn't really work as anything else but a DS video game. It's a product that's tailor made for the medium it was built for. It's one of the few instances in video games where I genuinely believe they took advantage of the format to write a narrative that wasn't just window dressing for a more interesting gameplay concept.

Milamber

999's ending wouldn't really work as anything else but a DS video game. It's a product that's tailor made for the medium it was built for. It's one of the few instances in video games where I genuinely believe they took advantage of the format to write a narrative that wasn't just window dressing for a more interesting gameplay concept.

Show only one ending aired and wouldn't a Bluray menu style choice system work then for multiple endings?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
People are having a blast with Tamako Market?

... Oh God. I think after two KyoAni shows in a row I've finally reached grumpy status.
Even if you don't like it is it really that hard to see why people would be into it?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Slightly OT, but have any of you ever wondered how awesome a 999 anime adaptation would be? Unless you haven't played the game, in which case, ignore me

They should adapt VLR too. Oh man, that'd be fabulous.

Too bad it's impossible because [VLR SPOILERS]
it'd have to be in first person :/

Even if you don't like it is it really that hard to see why people would be into it?

It's beautiful and Tamako's cute, but that's it. There's nothing happening. It's just boring.

sonicmj1

Show only one ending aired and wouldn't a Bluray menu style choice system work then for multiple endings?

Even if you made a 999 with the Safe Ending, and then made 999 After Story for the "True" Ending, it still wouldn't be quite right. There are hardware-specific things about 999's story that wouldn't have the same impact in an anime, no matter how many endings you ran.

Moonlight

Banned
j8cPtctn5PnRD.png

"I di-didn't give you this mochi because I li-like you or anything."

This episode of Tamako Market was really enjoyable. It's a bit hard to elaborate on that, because I myself am not entirely sure why. It's like every time I try to remember something specific about this show a pink, vaguely comforting miasma blankets my memories. It's insidious. And yet, I still try.

I don't think anyone does Valentine's Day with as much flair as KyoAni. As per the first episode, the pacing for this was quite breezy (for lack of a better word). Laidback, even. That said, it's not quite shackled by the demands of being an introductory episode. It was all just fun. The marketplace is just a fantastic place. Just bursting with this quirky personality and energy; and the side-characters are so fun. This is a show uninterested in the realities of a shopping district, or even many realities in general. And I think I appreciate that.

The dynamic between Mochizou and Tamako is really fun, I think. Tamako is utterly oblivious to Mochizou's feelings, of course, and he hasn't grown enough of a spine to spit it out himself; but it's cute all the same. I got a little nostalgic at the paper cup communication, too.

Dera was much better this episode, too. It's amazing how no one on the shopping district even seems to care that there's a talking bird, though. His presence in the show has been pared back a bit, which I think does the show some good. Some of the gags involving him were great. The timing of gags in general in the show is quite on point, I feel.

As per usual, this show is stunning to look at. The quality of the backgrounds and character art are easily on par with Hyouka, although I wouldn't say it's quite on the same level. Hyouka got quite a bit more creative in its' extravagance. That said, I love the facial expressions. Just as an example:

Really couldn't help grinning when stuff like this happened.

I think Kana might be my favourite of Tamako's friends, though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's really difficult to explain if you haven't finished it (I hope you did), but I'm talking about the true ending. It's a brilliant moment of real life ingenuity that is never explained in-game, but it's so fucking clever it made me realise video games are not as dead as I thought. It's just the people behind them that are so incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom