• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be fair MAL is doing people a favor with some of these shows, making it that much harder for people to ever watch Arjuna or Real Drive is a good thing.
I hope this wasn't a dig at Cromartie High.

Anyone wanna do an E7 run with me?
Are you coming on to me?

fuck me, a Kirito x Asuna avatar. It's perfect.
What in the blazes is he on about? Weeaboo isn't a derogatory term. It was a word filter for Wapanese which in turn is slang for Japanophile.

How in God's name is ONE WORD hard to translate? It's not like "Up" is an abstract concept. Surely there's a Japanese word for the direction up?
Maybe they have a hard time getting it up fufufu.

cajunator

Banned
K-On!! 08

I survived...I think.
Was foaming at the mouth in a writhing heap on the floor and lost one and a half pints of blood and a kidney but goddamnit I MADE IT THROUGH! :D

This episode is unfuckingbelievably cute. The most surefire way to create a moenuke is to take an already super cute character and make them little. If it doesn't produce cavities, you probably don't have any teeth.

The girls are given Career path questionnaires. Most of them finished and returned it but naturally Yui can't decide. At one point, they are discussing having to learn English and other things using mnemonics. Yui's impatient reaction when mugi starts to sing them is completely precious. There are several flashbacks of the K-on girls as kids and holy shit is it dangerously adorable!! This whole episode is one gigantic hnnnngbomb. I managed to survive it, so cancel the coffin for now, I'm good!

(those pics are from Random curiosity, because I was physically incapacitated to take screencaps while this episode was going on)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pertaining to that, I once took a school days recommendation from here to heart. After that, I doubt much else anyone does could actually scare me off

Still bitter
I know I had an Akari avatar but that doesn't mean you overlook my warnings!

Follow me and you shall be trained well.
Lesson 1: Ask questions always.

Slightly OT, but have any of you ever wondered how awesome a 999 anime adaptation would be? Unless you haven't played the game, in which case, ignore me
I'll play it when it comes out in the UK...

Then I can play the sequel which they did release in the UK.

Perhaps recommending bad-good anime as a rule has hit its nadir and we should start recommending good-good anime again.
I like watching bad-good anime once in a while. Reviews are much more fun to write rather than the typical "All in all it was a good episode" reviews.

Tricking people was the only reason the School Days thing was ever fun in the first place, though.
I watched it to see why it was a joke recommendation in the first place. While I could have just read up about it, I felt it was important to experience the whole thing. It works better for newcomers to anime since they won't notice all the obvious signs. I got so good at guessing what was happening people thought I was just having a laugh and I'd already seen the show.

sonicmj1

Windy Tales 2

Seeing Oshii's name in the opening credits properly calibrated my expectations for this series. I don't think this episode was particularly better or worse than the last one, but I enjoyed it a lot more because my mind was better prepared.

I love how wind is presented in this show. You can practically see it, and it moves everything around as it passes. It was probably their highest priority to get that right, and they did. The wind during the festival is especially dazzling.

ibgOQkNzmAoWxs.jpg

I like how they used the banners to show time passing towards the festival.

It's hard to find things to say with this show. It's relaxing and quiet. It eases you in comfortably. There seems to be some kind of love theme developing, and the aesthetics of it seem very Japanese; quiet, powerful, and unrequited.

It's a nice way to end a backlog week.

cajunator

Banned
Glad you made it, cajun! I knew you were walking a dangerous path but couldn't bring myself to stop you.

Ru - ra -raru - sasu -ri -ri- ri
-tsu - nu - tari - keri - tashi - tashi - ki - kemu
-ramu - beshi - rashi - maji - nari - meri
Doushite sonna tari gotoshi
hng hng hng hng hnggggh hnnnngh hng hng hng!

Defuser

Gintama ep 258

cgdDe.jpg

Holy fuck, this arc is getting real good. Now the Shogun is also taking action. Shieeeeet!!! I can't wait for next week.
Tsukuyo still shows why she is the best girl. Suck it Tsukuyo haters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bringing up your avatar real quick, I want to go see Paperman one day,
And as a bonus you can see a free screening of Wreck It Ralph along side it.

It's a nice demo of some interesting technology that might be used to emulate 2D animation one day. The story itself is pretty simple. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it though. You can't find it on Youtube or something?
It will never be used. We all know Kingdom is the future.

As someone who genuinely likes the School Days anime adaptation, I'm never sure what to say on this topic. In any case I'm not interested in tricking people into seeing it; I'd describe it straightforwardly as "a romance comedy that veers off into unusually crazy territory, and lots of people hate it." But I wouldn't ever discourage someone from watching it because who knows, they might be like me.
I hated it because literally all the characters in the show were selfish fools who selfishly went about their business in a foolish manner. Basically the two characteristics I despise the most in my face at all times. The lack of logic on display was mind boggling.

It also managed to create the most despised character in the history of anime. Despite not breaking a single law, Itou Makoto is more hated than the most vile of villains from any other show. If that's not an accomplishment, I don't know what is.
Villains tend to be likeable characters. Makoto was just a shit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Propaganda spread by PopGAF and WrassleGAF to try and dethrone us as the best GIF community.
"I wish AnimeGAF would post their gifs more in the OT side" - FootballGAF

The problem is when they go into other threads and deliberately try to creep everyone out!
Embracing a stereotype while also having the upper hand of knowing what the hell we're talking about. We never did find out what moe meant to them.

Is there a running gag about animeGAF being weird and scary? To me this seems like a pretty nice and friendly thread, even when there are pages of shit flinging over Hyouka.
Well there are some people on GAF who have said they ignore/are scared of anyone with an avatar that contains an illustration that is in a style most likely from Japan. Worst thing is this stereotype seems to stem from outside of GAF.

It doesn't help that we sometimes like to joke and embrace the stereotypes.

cajunator

Banned
the NFLGaffers have gotten used to me and Darkside posting in there regularly with our anime avatars. Also a certain NY Giants fan in there who got banned for linking to fansubs of Sailor Moon lol.
They already think I'm weird anyway because I'm from Louisiana. They were surprised that I had 100 mbps fiber internet and this city isnt just a bunch of hillbillies.

zeroshiki

Tamako Market - 2

I can see why firehawk likes this show so much. You really don't need to goggles to see it. Poor Midori.

Unlike some people, I didn't really have a problem with the deliberate pace of the show. I understand that it does seem like the show is meandering and went to K-On S2 mode without even the necessary setup required by S1 but after thinking about it, I'm perfectly fine with it.

The character dynamics combined by the great art and animation is like a warm blanket on a winter night. Its not something you can ever get tired of and you just keep on watching it and it gets more and more comfortable. Its only the 2nd episode but the characters all feel like old friends. I'm definitely buying into whatever Yamada and Yoshida are selling that's for sure.

This episode also had a good balance of girls being girls and the bird. He was really annoying in the first ep but he's settled down into cute mascot territory now. Let's hope it stays that way. I don't really need a 2-episode arc of the prince or someone from his hometown coming and forcing him to come home.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We won't even finish this thread now, let alone make OT-7.
Perhaps, but you've been making a lot of progress recently.

YESSS!!!! On both counts!
You withdrew the kiss. :(

I'm a big supporter of the |OT -5| plan so I'm more than pleased with duckroTrunicht's actions thus far.
Oh good. I was worried we lost you.

Is it possible to go downhill when you start in a ditch? An incest filled ditch?
She was better than Asuna and :chet. The incest wasn't there to begin with.

It's been way too long since I've sat down and enjoyed a series, I need to fix this
Well you could always watch short show series like Yurumates. That won't take too much time.

the NFLGaffers have gotten used to me and Darkside posting in there regularly with our anime avatars. Also a certain NY Giants fan in there who got banned for linking to fansubs of Sailor Moon lol.
They already think I'm weird anyway because I'm from Louisiana. They were surprised that I had 100 mbps fiber internet and this city isnt just a bunch of hillbillies.

I was talking about FOOTBALL. Foot with ball. From Britain. The proper stuff. The one where QPR beat Chelsea.

And now to watch some anime.

Shergal

Well there are some people on GAF who have said they ignore/are scared of anyone with an avatar that contains an illustration that is in a style most likely from Japan. Worst thing is this stereotype seems to stem from outside of GAF.

That's for sure. People that don't know anything about anime are the most reactionary ones about it.

My question was more because I've seen many people that like anime constantly state that this thread is creepy and they avoid (or initially avoided) it. It's true that it goes pretty fast and it's hard to keep up with it, but I don't really get where the "creepy" part comes from. This place is pretty tame compared to some anime boards on the internet.

I'm new here, but I lurked the thread while I waited for the acc activation and I'd say it's a pretty nice place to discuss the subject matter.

Gintama ep 258

Holy fuck, this arc is getting real good. Now the Shogun is also taking action. Shieeeeet!!! I can't wait for next week.
Tsukuyo still shows why she is the best girl. Suck it Tsukuyo haters.

What!? There are actually Tsukuyo haters!? Easily the best girl in Gintama.

cajunator

Banned
Tamako Market - 2

I can see why firehawk likes this show so much. You really don't need to goggles to see it. Poor Midori.

Unlike some people, I didn't really have a problem with the deliberate pace of the show. I understand that it does seem like the show is meandering and went to K-On S2 mode without even the necessary setup required by S1 but after thinking about it, I'm perfectly fine with it.

The character dynamics combined by the great art and animation is like a warm blanket on a winter night. Its not something you can ever get tired of and you just keep on watching it and it gets more and more comfortable. Its only the 2nd episode but the characters all feel like old friends. I'm definitely buying into whatever Yamada and Yoshida are selling that's for sure.

This episode also had a good balance of girls being girls and the bird. He was really annoying in the first ep but he's settled down into cute mascot territory now. Let's hope it stays that way. I don't really need a 2-episode arc of the prince or someone from his hometown coming and forcing him to come home.

all this anime I'm watching this morning gives me the warm fuzzies. Which is good because its 35F outside and for Louisiana thats damp, cold, and miserable. Staying toasty warm in here with my big Tv and surrounded by Cute. Life is so good. I love everything.

Perhaps, but you've been making a lot of progress recently.

You withdrew the kiss. :(

Oh good. I was worried we lost you.

She was better than Asuna and :chet. The incest wasn't there to begin with.

Well you could always watch short show series like Yurumates. That won't take too much time.

I was talking about FOOTBALL. Foot with ball. From Britain. The proper stuff. The one where QPR beat Chelsea.

And now to watch some anime.

Oh silly. You know I like my NFL football. 'Mericanball. Those are nice folks by the way. an astonishing number of NFLGaf are nintendo fans too, which surprised me.

Defuser

What!? There are actually Tsukuyo haters!? Easily the best girl in Gintama.

A few threads back, there was a link to a poll about the most hated female characters. Tsukuyo is 3rd on the list. Fucking Fujoshis are feeling threatened since Tsukuyo is the only female actually suitable for Gintoki considering she already have 2 major arcs with actual involvement and now this arc.

Jintor

Isn't Fullmetal Alchemist shonen? It doesn't need over 300 freaking episodes to tell its story.

I think it's Seinen. In any case it doesn't qualify as shonen because... uh... I don't really have a non-joking reason not to qualify it as shonen, but it's not shonen.

remz

Can you imagine FMA with a tournament arc? Like maybe the alchemist exam gets turned into one HxH style, or an elimination style tournament at the end run by the big bad.

wouldn't it be amazing :D

Jintor

Shonen isn't a genre.

Could've fooled me

On a side note, do you think One Piece, Bleach or Naruto were meticulously planned out beginning to end ahead of time, or thrown together week by week? FMA always gave me the impression of being plotted out far ahead of time and working towards some final end, but the others don't really give off that impression at all...

Shergal

On a side note, do you think One Piece, Bleach or Naruto were meticulously planned out beginning to end ahead of time, or thrown together week by week? FMA always gave me the impression of being plotted out far ahead of time and working towards some final end, but the others don't really give off that impression at all...

I don't know about Naruto and Bleach, but One Piece was planned to span 5 years in publication, and it was created with a concrete ending in mind since day 0.

That is, if we believe what Oda says in his silly Q&A segments.

Naruto Shippuden 296
tumblr_mgrt9f8ty31r90a6io1_250.gif
tumblr_mgrt9f8ty31r90a6io4_250.gif

So many new Rasengans, or at least they all looked pretty epic in their usages, though short. May have to add them to my list of the top 10 best Rasengan's jutsus. The new ending theme is pretty good, guess unlike the naruto sd animators, these still prefer to give us many good Sasuke Naruto moments (Naruto having a Sasuke doll, and highlighting their moments from part 1).

Cant wait to see Gaara v father

Kurita

Could've fooled me

Oda knows how One Piece will end.
Dunno about the others.

Could've fooled me

I thought Oda and Kishimoto already have the endings for their series planned out. I imagine Kubo does too but I think he probably has changed courses, extending duration of stuff due to fan response.

K-On!! 08

I survived...I think.
Was foaming at the mouth in a writhing heap on the floor and lost one and a half pints of blood and a kidney but goddamnit I MADE IT THROUGH! :D

This episode is unfuckingbelievably cute. The most surefire way to create a moenuke is to take an already super cute character and make them little. If it doesn't produce cavities, you probably don't have any teeth.

The girls are given Career path questionnaires. Most of them finished and returned it but naturally Yui can't decide. At one point, they are discussing having to learn English and other things using mnemonics. Yui's impatient reaction when mugi starts to sing them is completely precious. There are several flashbacks of the K-on girls as kids and holy shit is it dangerously adorable!! This whole episode is one gigantic hnnnngbomb. I managed to survive it, so cancel the coffin for now, I'm good!

(those pics are from Random curiosity, because I was physically incapacitated to take screencaps while this episode was going on)

Glad you are still with us after that! This is definitely up there with the S1 Christmas episode as one of my favorites, for similar reasons.

Theonik

To be fair MAL is doing people a favor with some of these shows, making it that much harder for people to ever watch Arjuna or Real Drive is a good thing.
It's not even doing that because people can search with any title and it will work. Just making lists unreadable.

I'm pretty sure this thread is more scary than gaming.
That picture came from Gaming side so the joke's on you!

Well at least you can keep all titles in English that way.
But he still can't read it easily!

Anyone wanna do an E7 run with me?
I'd be up for it if you can wait for next Wednesday. (sorta busy this week)

Up is kinda a hard title for the Japanese to get so it got changed to Karl-jiisan no sora tobu iie which translates to "Karl's Flying House"
I wonder what Howl's Moving castle would be called if it was a US film.

This thread has over 370k views. That poll should be in the thousands right now.
Only people with active posting privileges can vote so that cuts a large number of views already. Add that to the fact most views were pre-poll and you have your answer.

I didn't know there was a difference between haremshit smut and shounen smut. What's the difference?
Shounen smut has a lot more friendship and training arcs.

Poll doesn't make any sense - we are on |OT - 4| so why wouldn't we go to |OT - 5|? The only other thing is to go to |OT| but theres no option for that

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Poll doesn't make any sense - we are on |OT - 4| so why wouldn't we go to |OT - 5|? The only other thing is to go to |OT| but theres no option for that

We are descending. Didn't you know that last season was the fall of anime. And this season we're following.

Yes, yes you would. :) Just sneak in during the offseason thread with the rest of the Browns fans. Lasting past week 2 would earn you distinction and renown.

Some of my favorite NFLgaf members are Browns fans. they will like you, no worries.
BlackGhost and Kave-Man are the prominent Browns fans.

Nice :). I'd like to think I have a thick skin after witnessing years of losing. Perhaps I will sneak in and then wallow in my sorrow.

cajunator

Banned
Tamako Market 02

KyoAni, why are you so perfect?
This show just gives off pleasant vibes like Tsuritama did. It feels fresh and lively and optimistic and just....lovely. The animation is what you expect from this studio and everything is in order. It has a slower pace than Chuunibyo did but that's ok. I enjoy a slower paced relaxed anime sometimes if the subject matter is interesting to me.
This one seems to take place on Valentine's day. KyoAni took full advantage of it too.
Tamako and the shop workers decorate everything in elaborate Valentine's themes and the whole thing is just cute as hell. Also, Midori is precious and definitely has a little crush on Tamako. Its not as blatant as I expected but you can tell. I say I love a lot of shows, but add this one to my list. You can really tell when animators truly love their jobs and this show is proof that KyoAni employees love the show as much as we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom