• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

Well, consider that I'm a Saints fan and what we dealt with this year. Browns fans got off easy by comparison XD

By the way, regarding K-On, do you guys think you can help me out?

cajun's reaction to seeing that pic after watching K-On!

xKAaq.png

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I thought it was inappropriate, and slightly embarrassing, but okay...

i2VB2AMWIO5FN.gif

Oh gods! Top of page even!

/////////

Whose hands are those? Are they arm wrestling? Why are the arm wrestling on the floor? That's not how you arm wrestle. What's going on?

I am confuse.

Could've fooled me

On a side note, do you think One Piece, Bleach or Naruto were meticulously planned out beginning to end ahead of time, or thrown together week by week? FMA always gave me the impression of being plotted out far ahead of time and working towards some final end, but the others don't really give off that impression at all...

One Piece was. At least as much as FMA, if not more so. Oda foreshadows the hell out of stuff, introduces subplots that run for years, and has major characters that he planned out the appearance of over a decade before they even showed up in the manga.

Naruto and Bleach, not so much. But lumping One Piece in with them doesn't make much sense.

Tamako Market

Is anyone else shocked by how maturely KyoAni is handling GLBT issues in this show? There's a tranny but he isn't really played up for mean laughs like I was expecting and Midori's crush is probably the most compelling thing that the show has going for it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece was. At least as much as FMA, if not more so. Oda foreshadows the hell out of stuff, introduces subplots that run for years, and has major characters that he planned out the appearance of over a decade before they even showed up in the manga.

Naruto and Bleach, not so much. But lumping One Piece in with them doesn't make much sense.

There was an interview with Oda's editors, both past and present, that was posted in ManGAF a while back. Apparently he's already got all the major plot points figured out so all that's really left for them to do is critique the chapters.

duckroll

Tamako Market - Episode 2

I liked this much more than the first episode, but there's still something which bugs me about this series and I don't know what it is. In fact, it might be that it bugs me because I don't know what it is which I can sense but cannot express, something just feels really unusual and I can't put my finger on it.

As for the episode itself, I really like how dense the content in the episode is, but yet it doesn't feel fast paced or rushed. The interactions and behavior of the characters are really natural, and it's just enjoyable to watch. It is possible that what bugs me is that in the middle of it all there's a weird fat talking bird which also doubles as an AV player, which is really strange and fucked up, but yet everything about the show plays out in a really realistic way. The characters not freaking out or disturbed by this... but I guess I am!

It's going to be interesting to see what the intention for this element is, and how it plays out as the series continues.

---

Gyrozetter - Episode 15

Good episode. New Gyrozetter. An aquarium visit. More Xenon hijinx. Not-so-subtle hinting at Kakeru x Rinne. Pretty fun stuff. I wonder if they're going to change the OP/ED soon, because they seem really outdated by now. Lol.

cajunator

Banned
Tamako Market

Is anyone else shocked by how maturely KyoAni is handling GLBT issues in this show? There's a tranny but he isn't really played up for mean laughs like I was expecting and Midori's crush is probably the most compelling thing that the show has going for it.

If you like the way KyoAni handled it, you might enjoy the way they are portrayed in ShangriLa. There are two trannies in that show and they have prominent roles. One of them is my favorite character in the show actually (Momoko). Both characters are treated as any other character equally, although Momoko is a bit perverted. Damn I love Shangri La so much.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tamako Market

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed.

Shergal

Both Tamako Market episodes were pretty enjoyable to me, especially the first one which had some outstanding animation even for Kyoani. My only gripe with the show so far is that it doesn't seem to say or imply where it wants to go. If I extrapolate from the first two episodes, the whole anime could just be random episodic antics based on different characters every time.
I'm sure there will be a connector, be it narrative or thematic, for whatever happens in the show, but right now it feels all over the place. I guess they're still introducing the feeling and ambience of the shopping district; I have not seen many hints at future plot points though.
I really like Tamako's character though, she has a very endearing personality that doesn't get too close to anime archetypes and feels very realistic and balanced.

Also to be frank I'd prefer if Kigami episodes were storyboarded by Kigami himself. This one didn't feel much like him, especially coming right after Chuuni 6, which felt like a thorough showcase of his style. I liked some subtle touches here and there, but Kigami is much wackier and a healthy dose of him would be very good for the series.

Steroyd

GJ Bu - 02

ekwYM.gif

At the very least it didn't nearly put me to sleep like the first episode, and there were some nice gags placed at just the right time.

If you like the way KyoAni handled it, you might enjoy the way they are portrayed in ShangriLa. There are two trannies in that show and they have prominent roles. One of them is my favorite character in the show actually (Momoko). Both characters are treated as any other character equally, although Momoko is a bit perverted. Damn I love Shangri La so much.

I hear this show get dismissed pretty often though, why do you think that is? Are people just put off by the character designs?

duckroll

Maybe one day we'll get a Hyouka OVA where the Mayaka lens come off and we see her for who she really is. Just like that Hidamari Sketch wideface revelation. Lol.

Syrinx

I had a dream last night that there was another season of Yami that I hadn't seen. I couldn't decide if it was a pleasant dream or a nightmare.

cajunator

Banned
I hear this show get dismissed pretty often though, why do you think that is? Are people just put off by the character designs?

No, probably because the show is extremely complex and tries to develop every character. It doesn't have enough time, so its kind of a clumsy mess. Also starts out slow and confusing because a lot of stuff is explained as it goes on. But the show is really really enjoyable to watch. I love the fuck out of it. Momoko is a big part of that. He reminds me of my aunt (who is gay) and how She just has fun with life in every way possible. total character. As for the character designs, they aren't bad. Mikuni is adorable. Kuniko is a cute but tough tomboy. Momoko is perfectly designed for a transsexual. the other characters vary in quality of design but its all rather competent. To be honest aside from the messy complicated plot there is little to dislike about it. the music works very well and the OP/EDs are excellent. the world design is beautiful with the abandoned tokyo and Japan overgrown with jungle and Atlas standing tall above it. The animation works for the show and isnt godawful. It really does deserve a bit more attention than it gets. I fell absolutely in love with it.

Narag

Maybe one day we'll get a Hyouka OVA where the Mayaka lens come off and we see her for who she really is. Just like that Hidamari Sketch wideface revelation. Lol.

I'm going to end up seeing her as fat when I finally watch it thanks to the thread.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ikn3NjLbBOoHL.gif

Also obligatory comment that Trigger's animation team is phoning it in and they are putting all their effort into Inferno Cop.

duckroll

I'm going to end up seeing her as fat when I finally watch it thanks to the thread.

Maybe the series really is from Houtarou's point of view specifically, and because he has known Mayaka and Satoshi for so long, he sees her has a normal person despite her problem with obesity. It could be a really deep commentary on friendship!

Thoraxes

I know. That's why it's weirding me out. I loved Hyouka, but now I'm finding myself looking at Tamako Market in the same way people who thought Hyouka was boring looked at that show. Maybe I just don't like the characters as much as I liked Oreki and crew? I'm not sure yet...
It's weird, i'm the total opposite.

Guys..Ive just started K-ON!! episode 8 and I was not ready for this level of hnnngh. If I explode and don't make it, remember that I love you all.

k937O.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom