• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Fat Mayaka. The evidences, they are everywhere.

You can tell this is so because she sinks Satoshi into the water just by getting on his back. Also, the wave she produces when she plunges into the water is disproportionately large, even when accounting for Chitanda's bulk as well.

Case closed. Houtarou is such a good human being.

e: also, we never see the sister's face because Oreki subconsciously averts his gaze from her burn wounds, acquired in Nam.

Shergal

Koi Kaze 1

6sLKd.jpg

Living the dream.

I went into this knowing about its good reception and supposedly very mature handling of a brother/sister relationship, and my expectations are fulfilled for now. Very nice opening episode, both leads are nice characters, and the whole thing is handled in a tasteful low-key way (except for the token pervert guy at MC's workplace).

A lot of the episode was dedicated to setting the MC's situation in life. We got a sense of his lifestyle, his background and his little sob story. The ex-girlfriend can go burn in hell, you don't just go to the guy you dumped and say that. It's a bitch move.

Production values seem pretty standard, the storyboard was not really that strong but it's carried over by the script. There were some nice touches, like the MC forgetting his bag at the very first scene. It rapidly gives the viewer a grasp of his state of mind in a natural way. The OST was pretty nice too. And I didn't know that motherfucking Masumi Itou sang the ending theme for this! That was a nice surprise.

Frankly, what I'm more interested in regarding this show isn't the incest topic, but how they will handle the age difference. A 15 years old kid is very immature by most standards, and being engaged with someone that minor is even punishable by law in many places. It's a sensitive topic, for my personal morals even more than incest, and I hope the show acknowledges it and brings it to the foreground at some point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haha, Jessie and James Japanese VA's are so fucking gold!

With all the talk that MAL has lost their marbles I just checked the Pokémon entry. My suspicions were correct. They even changed the name of the characters to the Japanese ones even if everyone and their mother knows them as Ash, Misty and Brock n co.

Ironically they still call the show Pokémon (well Pokemon) rather than the Japanese name of Pocket Monsters.

Narag

With all the talk that MAL has lost their marbles I just checked the Pokémon entry. My suspicions were correct. They even changed the name of the characters to the Japanese ones even if everyone and their mother knows them as Ash, Misty and Brock n co.

Ironically they still call the show Pokémon (well Pokemon) rather than the Japanese name of Pocket Monsters.

Can you check the transformers entry and see if they changed Optimus prime to convoy?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I noticed this last night. Shit looks terrible, especially in the list:

w6j9C.png

edit: once again, they can't even be consistent about their bullshit. Shouldn't those be Serebii, Rugia, and Myuutsuu?

Maedhros

Lol. I call them by the names I'm more used too, even though I know their American names too. Same for the Pokemon names, it's good to hear them in japanese!

I noticed this last night. Shit looks terrible, especially in the list:

w6j9C.png

edit: once again, they can't even be consistent about their bullshit. Shouldn't those be Serebii, Rugia, and Myuutsuu?

But they left one as : Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon

They didnt even change the names over in the synopsis unlike the other ones
Dr. Yung, an enigmatic Pokémon scientist, has developed a new Mirage system that uses computer data to resurrect extinct Pokémon, like Kabutops and Armaldo. Professor Oak, Ash and his companions show up at the Mirage Mansion at Dr. Yung's invitation, and watch a demonstration of the machine's capabilities. In the middle of a battle between Dr. Yung's Mirage Pokémon and Ash, the machine goes haywire and a Mirage Aerodactyl swoops in and kidnaps Dr. Yung. A man calling himself "The Mirage Master" appears and announces to everyone that the Mirage System can be used to create Pokémon with absolutely no weaknesses. Ash, Misty, and Professor Oak struggle to stop the madman and escape with their lives.

duckroll

e: also, we never see the sister's face because Oreki subconsciously averts his gaze from her burn wounds, acquired in Nam.

I totally disagree with this interpretation. I think it is more likely that while Houtarou tries to be as good a person as he is, he simply does not like his sister much, and he has always felt that her presence overshadows his. So he tries not to recognize her existence.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But they left one as : Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon

They didnt even change the names over in the synopsis unlike the other ones

I think that that special was commissioned by 4kids (or Nintendo of America, depending on the era) and premiered in the US before Japan, so good old eigo gets primacy here. I'm surprised they even accept it as genuine 100% all-Japan anime considering that there are other instances of foreign licensors funding new productions from an existing anime license specifically for those foreign markets like Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters because that isn't even on MAL.

Steins;Gate 1-8

Another series in my backlog that I've started. There's a lot to like here...an intriguing story with time travel elements but with a surprising amount of humor, mostly coming from Rintaro. Hopefully this doesn't become a confusing mess by the end. It does at least have a cool OP.

I'm also in the middle of a rewatch of Oreimo after having received the DVD collection. Love this show a lot more than I expected to. A lot has to do with Manami, Kuroneko, and even Saori.

K-On!! 07

This episode must be chet's favorite. a total mio love-in. I'm totally ok with this. She has her own fanclub after all! Plus it ends with them singing this catchy little number
Music in K-on? What is this? Well it happens sometimes!
ulx6B.gif

It's definitely one of my favorites, and the song they sing in this episode is one of their best.
Episode twenty is gonna destroy every atom inside you.
For completely different reasons than episode 8 would be for cajun.
K-On!! 08

I survived...I think.
Was foaming at the mouth in a writhing heap on the floor and lost one and a half pints of blood and a kidney but goddamnit I MADE IT THROUGH! :D

This episode is unfuckingbelievably cute. The most surefire way to create a moenuke is to take an already super cute character and make them little. If it doesn't produce cavities, you probably don't have any teeth.

The girls are given Career path questionnaires. Most of them finished and returned it but naturally Yui can't decide. At one point, they are discussing having to learn English and other things using mnemonics. Yui's impatient reaction when mugi starts to sing them is completely precious. There are several flashbacks of the K-on girls as kids and holy shit is it dangerously adorable!! This whole episode is one gigantic hnnnngbomb. I managed to survive it, so cancel the coffin for now, I'm good!

(those pics are from Random curiosity, because I was physically incapacitated to take screencaps while this episode was going on)

I knew you were going to love this episode! It's a little bit too bad that they don't show Azusa or Mugi as kids, but oh well.
dih9Q.gif

Grzi

Senran Kagura - 02

Hatewatch.

Hakkenden - 02

Mildly intrigued, I enjoy the setting, even if it's a little it of everything. It's not great mind you, but it's better than say, BTOOOM!, at least so far.

Zettai Kyousuke whatever - 02

This show is basically what I expected Arcana Famiglia to be after seeing the first artwork for it. It's actually kind of fun and it doesn't look bad, there's some sakuga here and there. Surprise of the season.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kotoura-san 2

This show continues to be really good. I really liked seeing
Manabe put Moritani in her place
. And yet the OP/ED still seem to imply that
Moritani will end up being friends with Kotoura eventually
, so I wonder how that's going to work out. Also, it's interesting to see that the show still has moments of darkness reminiscent of the beginning of the first episode, what with
Mifune's mother committing suicide

But yeah, good stuff. Looking forward to next week.

Shergal

Kotoura-San 2

I didn't like this episode too much. While it's nice that the guy actually has a spine, and that they're not dragging with the romance, they're going way too fast and the direction ends up feeling clumsy. It doesn't help that the show has very low production values either.

I didn't find the comedy funny at all, and the serious parts were not horrible but the first half of the first episode was much better executed.

/XX/

Speculation runs rampant about a continuation of the collaboration, in the possible form of a music video, between HANDSOME KENYA and GAiNAX outside the illustrations and such for the pamphlets and CD jacket made for his new album, that the animation studio has produced (http://mfound.jp/news/2013/01/016305.html). Little specifics about the concrete author of the rough sketches and the kind of material released could be hints of this.

Remember that the last animated music video featured by HANDSOME KENYA (called 'Sing in my own way') was a collaboration along his friend and valued independent animator Kōsuke Sugimoto, well known for his other animated short the TV show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ9YtJC-Kd8).

As an aside, old news although I did not know until now of it; the death of Nagisa Ōshima. Maybe this could be considered a little related to the thread, his influence on subsequent Japanese media was really apparent for many... 'Que En Paz Descanse'.

jbug617

Banned
I don't see the absurdity. Give me the price tags on them, and then I might...

Samurai 7 Bluray- $24.99
Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone Bluray- $12.99
Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance Bluray- $17.48
Mayo Chiki DVD- $19.99
Fate/Stay Bluray- $41.99
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl DVD/Blu-ray - $51.99

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Samurai 7 Bluray- $24.99
Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone Bluray- $12.99
Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance Bluray- $17.48
Mayo Chiki DVD- $19.99