• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

I found Jinrui to be pretty boring despite how off-the-wall each of the first few episodes were. I didn't care about anything that was happening nor did I have any interest. It just felt really hollow. Never really saw what others seemed to really enjoy about it. Is it any different at episode 9 and on?

If you didn't enjoy the first two, I'm not exactly sure what to tell you. But I would recommend anyone watch episode 9 regardless. It's an amusing escalation, to say the least of it. On how different it is from earlier episodes: familiar subjects with a new focus of humanity from which to observe.

I just watched this as well. People weren't kidding about the beginning. We'll see if it managed to stay as strong as the first episode or if it sways too far the other way into silly hijinx territory. And when the preview said the people on the other side of the TV were having perverted thoughts, I was like "hey, how did you know I'm about to watch Psycho Pass?".

I should see what this Kotoura-san hub-bub is about.

cajunator

Banned
It does something I've longed to wish to see in anime.
Magical girls kissing each other to power up. And Akane was WILLING to let Aoi kiss her ON THE LIPS! Instead we get a hot couple of forehead kisses.
My initial statement is hyperbolic, I know, but this anime is fanboy's dream come true.

Perchance, have you seen SIMOUN? If you like that sort of thing, you will love Simoun XD

PSYCHO-PASS 13

Jdnfl.jpg

DROWN IN WORDS, WORDS, WORDS.

At least it wasn't a flashback.

duckroll

Also...what's up with the second Zetsuen OP? I dropped the show ages ago but why does the show seem like some kind of romcom fantasy now instead of what it was in the first half? Is that what happens to the show? The OP tune is nice, and it's pretty well animated, but it's not what I was expecting from a second OP at all.

You must have missed the announcement on Jan 1st when they relaunched the site and put up the second cour trailer billing the next half of Zetsuen no Tempest as a "love comedy". :p

Steroyd

Zetsuen no Tempest turned into a romcom... wait wut!?

Psycho Pass - 13

o7iCm.gif

Surely a funeral gif, is more liable to make the psycho pass' even more cloudy than a still picture right?

For some reason I didn't mind the talking much this episode, rather than the usual "The Sybil system screwed me over" story (so to speak) it took a different direction, as to why the system works the way it does and how trust is a factor in it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Moe should be classified as an action or a specific moment.

Any character can be moe. Literally any character. It all depends on their actions.

Mature

But the word "moe" was banned between the staff of Psycho-Pass!

At least it wasn't a flashback.
Did people not like the flashback episode? I actually enjoyed it. Sort of reminded me of one of the GiTS:SAC character building episodes which were often flashbacks.

jgminto

Kotoura-san 2
This show seems to have two parts, the fun, good times relationships with friends and the dark, grim pasts of the characters. Sadly I don't think this is balanced very well. The first is obviously the focus of the show, given the most time, while the latter feels more like an afterthought, depressing a character for a few minutes so they can be brought back to happy mode in the same episode. But the fun times are fun, Kotoura is cute, Manabe consistently gets a chuckle out of me and the new characters seem like they could be fun. So it's a fun show, with dark moments patched on, perhaps to separate it from all of the other romantic comedies out there? I don't know.
nobGT.png

Kotoura? Kotoura!? KOTOURAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You all say you don't feel moe towards her now, but soon the Sybil System will make you change your minds.

cajunator

Banned
Kotoura-san 2
This show seems to have two parts, the fun, good times relationships with friends and the dark, grim pasts of the characters. Sadly I don't think this is balanced very well. The first is obviously the focus of the show, given the most time, while the latter feels more like an afterthought, depressing a character for a few minutes so they can be brought back to happy mode in the same episode. But the fun times are fun, Kotoura is cute, Manabe consistently gets a chuckle out of me and the new characters seem like they could be fun. So it's a fun show, with dark moments patched on, perhaps to separate it from all of the other romantic comedies out there? I don't know.

Just started episode 2, but I think it gives the show a really bittersweet feel underneath the comedy. Not everything is happy go lucky. It makes the moment of levity that much more enjoyable. We want to see the downtrodden characters given some joy. It also gives a bit more depth to them than the typical show of this kind. Obviously for a show with this kind of whiplash, one aspect of it is going to feel forced. I think the dramatic part does because like you said, its supposed to be more of a little romantic comedy slice of life (I think).
I like the good guy pervert in the show. He reminds me of Tomoki from Sora no Otoshimono except not an extrovery. Tomoki had to show what he was thinking, but this guy's thoughts can be read by Haruka, so we see him as if he was like Tomoki. It works for me. Also, Haruka herself is a little hnnnng grenade.

jgminto

Just started episode 2, but I think it gives the show a really bittersweet feel underneath the comedy. Not everything is happy go lucky. It makes the moment of levity that much more enjoyable. We want to see the downtrodden characters given some joy. It also gives a bit more depth to them than the typical show of this kind. Obviously for a show with this kind of whiplash, one aspect of it is going to feel forced. I think the dramatic part does because like you said, its supposed to be more of a little romantic comedy slice of life (I think).
I like the good guy pervert in the show. He reminds me of Tomoki from Sora no Otoshimono except not an extrovery. Tomoki had to show what he was thinking, but this guy's thoughts can be read by Haruka, so we see him as if he was like Tomoki. It works for me. Also, Haruka herself is a little hnnnng grenade.

I like the idea of Kotoura-san's combination of light-hearted comedy/romance and dark character development, but it seems to fail in execution. Whenever the characters aren't in their dark history sections they don't really seem at all affected by it, which really makes the things that happened to them seem kind of trivial. Say "I love you" did this kind of thing better, it's much more muted in all categories which gives the show a much more gradual shift instead of snapping back and forth. Although that wasn't so much a romance/comedy but pure romance.

cajunator

Banned
I like the idea of Kotoura-san's combination of light-hearted comedy/romance and dark character development, but it seems to fail in execution. Whenever the characters aren't in their dark history sections they don't really seem at all affected by it, which really makes the things that happened to them seem kind of trivial. Say "I love you" did this kind of thing a bit better, it's much more muted in all categories which gives the show a much more gradual shift instead of snapping back and forth. Although that wasn't so much a romance/comedy but pure romance.

I like the rubberband the show pulls off over a gradual shift, but thats just preference. The show goes in both directions with guns blazing instead of being subtle. for a show like this I think it works. Its not trying to be a really serious show obviously, so the over the top drama is just that. But it still manages to tug the heartstrings. Its a strange animal, this kotoura-san.

Ultimadrago

imdONucjiigBg.JPG

Nichijou Blu-Ray Special Edition Vol 2
Nichijou Blu-Ray Special Edition Vol. 3

I'm really happy to get these in my hands as always, but still have a way to go before completion.
Also, these covers are so good.

========================
Inferno Cop 4
dontdisappointthemril1p.png

Most elaborate villain plan to ever be conceived to destroy Inferno Cop yet.

Also perfect skyscraper window jump front-flip. "10/10", etc, etc

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Zetsuen no Tempest 14

Talk talk talk. Dorama dorama dorama. Seriously. What the fuck. Also, Ponytail, swordless Samon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> old Samon.

Hyouka 1
XDAXL.png

KININARIMASU!
It was the fucking janitor. Then they troll Chitanda with a fake mystery. Life is good.
This show is kinda slow, just a bunch of words surrounded by a bunch of useless fluff. Still, it's not bad, but I don't like the main guy at all. Chitanda is ok so far, was expecting her to be more, I don't know, crazy? I guess I'll have to watch more before I come to a conclusion on her.
oOhsB.jpg

That reminds me, there's a new season of Samurai Girls airing soon.

jgminto

I like the rubberband the show pulls off over a gradual shift, but thats just preference. The show goes in both directions with guns blazing instead of being subtle. for a show like this I think it works. Its not trying to be a really serious show obviously, so the over the top drama is just that. But it still manages to tug the heartstrings. Its a strange animal, this kotoura-san.

Yeah, I doubt they'd be able to keep this as light hearted comedy if they went for a more gradual shift in tone.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom