• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I'm trying to think of a better male character since Masa-san.... no one compares!

Chaos;Head
Steins;Gate
Robotic;Notes

Are the 3 games in 5pb and Nitroplus "science adventure game" series

Ah ok. So I know Chaos;Head is garbage and Steins;Gate is one of my favorite animes in a long time, but I have no idea about Robotics;Notes except it has a very fun looking genki girl in it. Does it deliver?

Oh my lively fellow, I love you too! You instill a much happier and nonchalant aura into this community...

At that moment I thought you would find Chihya more adorable, but I see I was wrong... decide now! What would you prefer, to brush a conventional fluffy tail or to brush instead an also fluffy and OVERLOADED mane? Answer me!

I'll take the fluffy Overloaded mane for 200, Alex.

Code: Breaker 13 (end)

Well that was a good and extensive end. Kind of wish a few of the other events I liked from the manga had been covered, like individual fights, to bring them all to the same conclusion and a bit thereafter
didnt like them going separate ways, wanted them at the mansion etc
. Hitomi was amazing
and that final moment
. Prime Minister Fujiwara was also good throughout, one of my favorite characters in such a position among anime.
For Ogami's flames seemed to take on a dragonish shape should have gone all out and done it, and Hitomi's lightning dragons of sort were plain stunning, never gave up at all even when he went Code:end

Overall, liked CodeBreaker and I guess it did work to get me sold on the manga which I managed to read over the duration. The Code:Breakers are such good characters and cast, Toki and Yuki still the best, and Ogami and Hitomi bringing up the year, Yukihina still has a special spot to me too, and
the one being sought
too.

tumblr_mfwkjxhtOx1rngktpo1_400.jpg

Great visuals throughout its duration, still my favorite moment and Ogami was pure visually delight ep 12/13. Loved the teamwork too.

Will buy whenever Funimation releases it this year? Hopefully. 9.

*Ah my 1st anime finished in 2013, and my 200th completed anime.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hey guys and gals. I'm hoping to get into a bit more anime this year and I'd like some recommendations. Preferably I'd like movies/ series that are only one or two seasons long.

I've already seen quite a few movies like Ponyo, Totoro, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (loved it), Perfect Blue, Spirited Away etc.
My fave series are Evangelion (loved the action and story but not sure about Rebuild) and Death Note (again, great story). I'm a few episodes into Fruits Basket and I'm liking it so far.
I did buy Vandread but I didn't really like it much (story didn't sparkle with me and the cgi in it was odd).

So yeah I was just after something new, preferably with a good story and a bit of action.
Thanks in advance :)

Hey there Paper Fox and welcome! Here are my picks:

Black Lagoon

Claymore

Hellsing Ultimate

Hope you enjoy them!

Nekomonogatari 1
Boring dialogue and incest fanservice make for a pretty poor opening episode. The whole thing felt like filler and entirely unnecessary

Kazzy

Wishing you a Happy New Year, AnimeGAF!

My first full year of watching Anime was a fruitful one, not least of all because I discovered things that I loved, K-ON!, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, et all. Which was mixed with the bad, Fujiko Mine, SAO, and some others that I probably don't wish to dig up.

I sort of meandered my way into this thread, not really knowing if I even see through my brief flirtation past watching the Ghibli back catalogue. I'm happy to say that I stuck around, though, and this community certainly makes the whole thing a lot of fun. Just maybe take a little rest once in a while!

I've been playing a bit of a game of Spot the Difference this morning. They solicited an updated version of the iM@S Anime fanbook for release just two months after the initial print, with no obvious difference in it's description other than them adding a "+" to the title.

Huh, so you bought both? Which would at least make me feel better about owning both the English and Japanese copies of the Persona art works!

----------------------

And on that subject, I've begun to re watch Persona 4: The Animation. I would say that it's a markedly different experience the second time through, but that's mainly down to the English dub cast. Watching it on blu-ray has only accentuated just how ugly it looks visually, though. Which is a shame, as I do enjoy their approach to handling the story. Which is to say that they don't really go out of their way to lay down the intricacies of the whole world, and instead curtail that (after episode one's info-dump) in favour of fan-service.

In fairness, there is a lot that could be improved about this adaptation, but as a fan going in (and I can't see who wouldn't be), I think it hits enough of the familiar notes that I can see past those failings. I know it wasn't to everyone's taste, but I find it to be good fun.

cajunator

Banned
Wishing you a Happy New Year, AnimeGAF!

My first full year of watching Anime was a fruitful one, not least of all because I discovered things that I loved, K-ON!, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, et all. Which was mixed with the bad, Fujiko Mine, SAO, and some others that I probably don't wish to dig up.

I sort of meandered my way into this thread, not really knowing if I even see through my brief flirtation past watching the Ghibli back catalogue. I'm happy to say that I stuck around, though, and this community certainly makes the whole thing a lot of fun. Just maybe take a little rest once in a while!

Huh, so you bought both? Which would at least make me feel better about owning both the English and Japanese copies of the Persona art works!

----------------------

And on that subject, I've begun to re watch Persona 4: The Animation. I would say that it's a markedly different experience the second time through, but that's mainly down to the English dub cast. Watching it on blu-ray has only accentuated just how ugly it looks visually, though. Which is a shame, as I do enjoy their approach to handling the story. Which is to say that they don't really go out of their way to lay down the intricacies of the whole world, and instead curtail that (after episode one's info-dump) in favour of fan-service.

In fairness, there is a lot that could be improved about this adaptation, but as a fan going in (and I can't see who wouldn't be), I think it hits enough of the familiar notes that I can see past those failings. I know it wasn't to everyone's taste, but I find it to be good fun.

You are pretty swell. ALso you have best girl in your avatar. Clearly you have excellent taste.

/XX/

Halcyon Realms – Animation.Film.Photography and Art Book Reviews » » Howl’s Moving Castle Storyboard Book Review
http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/animation/howls-moving-castle-storyboard-book-review/

Astounding the dedication, the preparation for one of the tasks... of the project he himself was going to oversee! I think this could be that possible example of little reliance on the rest, but really... in full color, with even such detailed instructions for a still to be made panning shot (http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/animation/the-art-of-ponyo-part-i-storyboards/)? Beyond the call of duty!

I'll take the fluffy Overloaded mane for 200, Alex.
And now I love you even more!

Defuser

I always forget, but it still hard to believe that the company that gave us Tsuritama and Space Bros also gave us animu like Fairy Fail and Sword Art Online.
You should be blaming Mashima and Kawahara for writing shit stories. A1 is just animating on the source material.

Kazzy

Toradora! 1-3

I don't like Taiga at all, and it's not just because she has no boobs. I'd hate her even if she had tits the size of her head. I like the other characters though, so I hope Taiga gets better.

Well, there's only one way to find out...

-----------------

Ah, I watched this too. And seeing as it's only three episodes in, I don't really have much to add other than a few thoughts on the cast:

Taiga - The character has a nice energy to her, although I agree (to a point) about the criticisms Chet seem to have against her. I know she is a vaunted character, I just don't know as to why, but maybe that would have helped here because she is pretty much playing the quintessential tsundere at this point. But maybe that is by design.

Ryujii - So damn affable that I sense an incoming harem.

Yuusaku - So generic that I struggle to remember he exists. Which makes his role in the narrative all the more bewildering.

Minori - Best character. Has not really done much other than be a bundle of silly, which is fine by me.

Is the bird supposed to be funny? Because if so, these comedic moments are just making me feel sorry for the poor thing!

You should be blaming Mashima and Kawahara for writing shit stories. A1 is just animating on the source material.

If Fairy Tail was in the hands of the Bleach studio, then it would definitely outdo Naruto/Hunter x Hunter/BLue Exorcist as the best shonen adaptated anime. The source material of Fairy Tail written by the leader in the genre is not the weakpoint of the anime...but its visuals at times.

Kayoshara is close to being there, if he had put Kirito in Accel World, then I think we'd actually have an excellent contendor for perhaps the top anime, potentially toppling Evangelion from that spot on just about everyones lists.

cajunator

Banned
Well, there's only one way to find out...

-----------------

Ah, I watched this too. And seeing as it's only three episodes in, I don't really have much to add other than a few thoughts on the cast:

Taiga - The character has a nice energy to her, although I agree (to a point) about the criticisms Chet seem to have against her. I know she is a vaunted character, I just don't know as to why, but maybe that would have helped here because she is pretty much playing the quintessential tsundere at this point. But maybe that is by design.

Ryujii - So damn affable that I sense an incoming harem.

Yuusaku - So generic that I struggle to remember he exists. Which makes his role in the narrative all the more bewildering.

Minori - Best character. Has not really done much other than be a bundle of silly, which is fine by me.

Is the bird supposed to be funny? Because if so, these comedic moments are just making me feel sorry for the poor thing!

If you think that bird was tortured, watch what happened to Ken in Yami to Boshi.

Kagami

People shouldn't look down on effects animation. It's all Magi has left.
I don't get the Magi hate in this thread.
It's turned out to be my second-favorite show of the fall season, and I usually only like late-night shows.
My friend I'm watching it with has read the manga, and while he's commented on a few backstory details they left out, he's not ranting about it like people here.

duckroll

It's turned out to be my second-favorite show of the fall season, and I usually only like late-night shows.
My friend I'm watching it with has read the manga, and while he's commented on a few backstory details they left out, he's not ranting about it like people here.

I just found it really boring. So I dropped it. Can't stand the voice cast either. They were awful.

Hagi

If Fairy Tail was in the hands of the Bleach studio, then it would definitely outdo Naruto/Hunter x Hunter/BLue Exorcist as the best shonen adaptated anime. The source material of Fairy Tail written by the leader in the genre is not the weakpoint of the anime...but its visuals at times.

Kayoshara is close to being there, if he had put Kirito in Accel World, then I think we'd actually have an excellent contendor for perhaps the top anime, potentially toppling Evangelion from that spot on just about everyones lists.

Who knows maybe Pierrot could have done for Fairy Tail what they did for Kingdom. Nakama power in glorious cutting edge CG.

Milamber

Then why the hell did they not just make more Spice and Wolf?
Probably because the light novels are finished and the point of most anime adaptations is to sell the material it's adapted from.... Anyway even if we got a third season it will still fall well short of the ending...

It is for the best that they stopped at season 2 of Spice and Wolf. Really, if you read the light novels beyond it, depending on your tastes, it becomes kinda
Twilight like.

Meanwhile, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha has a strong story that still continues, though there is still not enough material. It's the will of the director how they want to follow through on adapting it though.

Can't wait for Kizumonogatari to come out. The LN was a bit action packed and I really want to see how SHAFT handles that.

cajunator

Banned
I sort of lost interest in Magi in favor of other shows, but Mor looks so awesome and Ren is hnnnnngh. Im so conflicted about it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah the houses are built to last maybe 20-30 years tops in most cases, and the construction companies dont bother to insulate so the homes are extremely cold in winter. thats why you see those Kotatsus and people wearing heavy clothing indoors and stuff. I could NOT live like that. I want to be all toasty warm in my little cajuncave surrounded by happiness.
Too bad you can't live in the world of Tonari, where it doesn't matter what season it is.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nekomonogatari (Black) 01
I get what they were going for in nearly every scene. On a conceptual level, there is the possibility for this to be okay. In practice though every scene just winds up being kind of awful. Not like, Nise levels of bad, but it's pretty discomforting. Each piece has an obvious entry and exit point, but dawdles around and does nothing of interest while it moves from one conversational set piece to the next. There is no elaboration or depth to the ideas it presents, and its characters feel like mouthpieces and eye candy instead of autonomous beings.

Cool OP though. For sure uglier than Bake/Nise to me too, and it was far less ambitious visually. The locations of Bakemonogatari typically had a focal point even while feeling abstract. Nekomonogatari feels unfocused in all areas, including its style and appearance.

Maedhros

There's only two reaction on Neogaf:

Love
Hate

The sooner you learn this, the better. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom