• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't get the Magi hate in this thread.
It's turned out to be my second-favorite show of the fall season, and I usually only like late-night shows.
My friend I'm watching it with has read the manga, and while he's commented on a few backstory details they left out, he's not ranting about it like people here.
The soundtrack is super boring. Surprisingly more of an essential requirement for my anime viewing than even I expected.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shaft has nailed its target audience. It knows exactly what buttons to push and when.
KyoAni is pretty good at it too I hear.
That's really your takeaway from this?
numWo.gif

Milamber

numWo.gif

The fact that the monogatari series has pulled such divisive reactions from the viewers means that they have done a very good job. I'm in it for the writing, the visuals are like icing on the cake for me.

Also...

e2wke.jpg

Jex

I don't get the Magi hate in this thread.
It's turned out to be my second-favorite show of the fall season, and I usually only like late-night shows.
My friend I'm watching it with has read the manga, and while he's commented on a few backstory details they left out, he's not ranting about it like people here.

I don't think there's much to 'get'. A lot of people on the thread don't like the show very much, so they stopped watching.

cajunator

Banned
The fact that the monogatari series has pulled such divisive reactions from the viewers means that they have done a very good job. I'm in it for the writing, the visuals are like icing on the cake for me.

Also...

e2wke.jpg

I love Bakemonagatari, but Nise did not click with me. Im not sure why other than a decisive lack of Senjou.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Also...

e2wke.jpg

SHAFT be making it rain.

Did anyone actually see Karen's stupid pose as sexual? I thought it was way more funny than suggestive considering she looks like an idiot in that pose. It's not like you could get any clear panty shots while she was wearing shorts. I mean... she could easily be mistaken for a guy in that pose.
One of the best reactions in the series. I was surprised by her love of donuts when I first saw this scene.

Jex

Did anyone actually see Karen's stupid pose as sexual? I thought it was way more funny than suggestive considering she looks like an idiot in that pose. It's not like you could get any clear panty shots while she was wearing shorts. I mean... she could easily be mistaken for a guy in that pose lol.

Everything is sexual.

dimb

Being divisive is not a measure of success. Neko (Black) is not well written in any sense. It kicks things off with thirteen and a half minutes of running in circles around points that could easily be made in a few sentences. Instead of an interesting scene being thought up, we get the main character waking up in their bedroom to talk to a character that has no value or personality beyond the fact that she is a girl and happens to be the main character's sister. It is slow, lazy, and without meaning. I'm not even offended by fanservice or anything, but here its just drivel used to fill scenes in a pathetic attempt to add flavor to a bland scenario. There was no punch to the premiere of Nekomonogatari. It is fumbling around in a hat of tricks it has already shown the audience.

jman2050

Being divisive is not a measure of success. Neko (Black) is not well written in any sense. It kicks things off with thirteen and a half minutes of running in circles around points that could easily be made in a few sentences. Instead of an interesting scene being thought up, we get the main character waking up in their bedroom to talk to a character that has no value or personality beyond the fact that she is a girl and happens to be the main character's sister. It is slow, lazy, and without meaning. I'm not even offended by fanservice or anything, but here its just drivel used to fill scenes in a pathetic attempt to add flavor to a bland scenario. There was no punch to the premiere of Nekomonogatari. It is fumbling around in a hat of tricks it has already shown the audience.

Seriously, you'd think people would be familiar with the structure of these stories by now...

Steroyd

If Fairy Tail was in the hands of the Bleach studio, then it would definitely outdo Naruto/Hunter x Hunter/BLue Exorcist as the best shonen adaptated anime. The source material of Fairy Tail written by the leader in the genre is not the weakpoint of the anime...but its visuals at times.

Kayoshara is close to being there, if he had put Kirito in Accel World, then I think we'd actually have an excellent contendor for perhaps the top anime, potentially toppling Evangelion from that spot on just about everyones lists.

It's naive to think that just handing it over to a different studio would automatically mean the only change would be the animation.

JoJo which is the best adapted shounen atm has animation that just gets a passing grade which does enough to convey the manga panels onto the screen, that's a testament to how strong the source material in spite of it, plus taking censorship into account.

Magi which apparently has strong source material has nice animation now and again has certain flashes of how good it could be, but overall the adaptation of the content is a disappointment. (Same studio as Ao no Exorcist I believe). The difference between the first 5 or 6 episodes and volume 1 of the manga is shocking.

If we keep it within Studio Pierrot (Naruto and Bleach), they butchered Beelzebub to levels of unrecognizable shit by crippling it with filler, and then when it came back to canon they butchered that to. (same can be said of some Naruto arcs).

Hell I've constantly ragged on Hunter x Hunter (2011), compared to it's original counterpart up to a certain point, but even that came into it's own in the last arc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

The problem is that we're not watching it how it aired. Well, I'm assuming you aren't fluent in Japanese and/or only watched the first 26 minutes of the airing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nekomono 1:
Kind of ugly, and Ararararagi's a dick, moreso than his Bake and Nise incarnations, who were dickishly charming at least. Here he's just a horndog.

EDIT: Spoke too soon.

dimb

The problem is that we're not watching it how it aired. Well, I'm assuming you aren't fluent in Japanese and/or only watched the first 26 minutes of the airing.
Could it get better? Absolutely. In fact it probably will. I don't think that will improve the rather bland and thoughtless introduction in any meaningful way.

Jex

Seriously, you'd think people would be familiar with the structure of these stories by now...

There's a difference between content and structure though. You can use the exact same structure to tell a good story and a bad story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Could it get better? Absolutely. In fact it probably will. I don't think that will improve the rather bland and thoughtless introduction in any meaningful way.
Well, I'm just saying that it's weird to judge the first 26 minutes of anything out of context.

Wishing you a Happy New Year, AnimeGAF!

My first full year of watching Anime was a fruitful one, not least of all because I discovered things that I loved, K-ON!, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, et all. Which was mixed with the bad, Fujiko Mine, SAO, and some others that I probably don't wish to dig up.

I sort of meandered my way into this thread, not really knowing if I even see through my brief flirtation past watching the Ghibli back catalogue. I'm happy to say that I stuck around, though, and this community certainly makes the whole thing a lot of fun. Just maybe take a little rest once in a while!
What are you, my mother? hehehe
A Happy New Years to you too!
Well, there's only one way to find out...
I like the way you think.
Nekomonogatari [Black] - 01

V04qC.gif

SHAFT you wonderful bastards.
Now that's pretty awesome.

Milamber

I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe it wasn't for the critical fan, but for a casual viewer is indispensable. The entire flashback sequence was good enough for me to jog my memory on all these characters, they also served to place where in the timeline this show is happening in. The "introduction" of this show also familiarizes the casual viewer to the characters with half the show defining their roles, attitudes and placement and the other half defining Hanekawa, which this show is about.

You'd think after watching every second or third season of any anime that the first episode is essentially a primer for the first timer and casual crowd and the meat of the show begin after that.

Also I liked the flashback sequence just for reminding me again of this...

2616h.gif

Yeah!

dimb

Well, I'm just saying that it's weird to judge the first 26 minutes of anything out of context.
What context does it need? It's the introduction. The first part of anything should leave you wanting more, not hoping the rest of it isn't so awful.

MCD

Medaka Box Abnormal Final Episode

After watching 11 awful episodes of shonen garbage...

What sorcery did I just watch here? This episode was brilliant and I don't even know why

It was just...out of this world and I can't describe it.

cajunator

Banned
You'll hate Kizu then. Unless Shinobu might win you over.

I like Shinobu.
No problem with her in particular.

Looks like more videos of Prism Nana was released today. (At the very least I haven't seen these before) Lots of new music and animation can be seen. Also features a beach scene.

I can't take this teasing anymore. They keep showing us scenes of them crying. THE DESPAIR.

http://www.youtube.com/user/prismnanabox

Also, Earth Nana is best Nana.

I cant wait to finally see what this is all about.

Don't get chickdigger banned again

Well that was his fault for defiling the purity of Yayoi.
Poor girl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What context does it need? It's the introduction. The first part of anything should leave you wanting more, not hoping the rest of it isn't so awful.
Would you review the first 26 minutes of a movie or even any other episode of TV?
I'm not even sure the first 26 minutes of The Wire would work on its own, and Snot Boogie is one of the most memorable cold opens in modern TV history.

Of course I'm assuming they put the four "episodes" together in a block because that's how they wanted people to watch it.

Jex

Would you review the first 26 minutes of a movie or even any other episode of TV?
I'm not even sure the first 26 minutes of The Wire would work on its own, and Snot Boogie is one of the most memorable cold opens in modern TV history.

Of course I'm assuming they put the four "episodes" together in a block because that's how they wanted people to watch it.

I broadly agree with this. The material was clearly meant to be consume in one particular way. Still, I didn't find the first half of the opening to particularly well paced, myself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I broadly agree with this. The material was clearly meant to be consume in one particular way. Still, I didn't find the first half of the opening to particularly well paced, myself.
I think that's fair. I have no idea how I want to watch the rest of the "episodes". I probably won't be able to help myself and watch them the way that most non-Japanese nerds will watch it though. lol

CØDE:BREAKER 12

Besides having a little too much name calling this episode, still awesome. Sure there was a lot of OGAMI, but the action was awesome, giving us one really cool fight between characters you barely see. I'll even forgive all the OGAMI going on too.

Jex

[Nekomonogatari (Black)] - 1

NekoBlack1.jpg

NekoBlack3.jpg

NekoBlack4.jpg

If there's one thing in particular that actually bothers me about SHAFT's approach to producing anime is their callous disregard for good background art. It's not just that no-one seems to care about the art itself being good, although as you can see from the images above it looks like it was whipped up in Photoshop in literally about 30 minutes. Worse even than the fact that it's incredibly cheap and lazy is that there never seems to be any thought taken to what the background art has to do with the characters, or the story, or setting a mood or anything, basically the purpose that it should serve the image. The only thing that they seemed to be concerned with is the character model, character animation and camera positioning.

This isn't just some pet theory because whenever you see a BD/TV comparison for a SHAFT show you'll see that sometimes they'll not just alter the background but completely and utterly change them. The characters will suddenly be in a completely different location. Why can they get away with this? Because no thought it taken to link the background art to anything else so they change it without consequence. The characters might as well be interacting on a stage in front of some very abstract image.

This is really quite unfortunate because even ex-SHAFT people can create a show which uses a number of visual techniques from SHAFT's catalogue of shows but also embraces how important background art is in the overall composition of the image:

duskmaidenexample.png

It's not like Dusk Maiden was a particularly expensive show, either. SHAFT are just clearly happy enough to crank out shit in-house background art because it's cheap and quick but I feel like it damages a number of scenes because of how shoddy everything appears.

NekoBlack2.jpg

Anyway, it's not hard to describe what was good and what was bad in this opening segment. Everything at the start that detailed Arararararagi's interaction with his little sisters was a mixture of boring and creepy. Arararagi works perfectly well as an 'average' teenage boy character with believable responses and impulses, but as soon as he becomes a guy who is openly interested in molesting his sisters what little veneer of character he has crumbles and the whole thing kind of falls apart. There's nothing likeable or relatable about him at that point because he has so clearly crossed the line. You can't even argue that it's being played for comedy because we get plenty of POV shots from his perspective as he ogles his family.

Meanwhile everything to do with Hanekawa is classic -monogatari storytelling. There's a girl and she has a problem - cue interesting things. Araragi's interaction with his sisters is that they're not very interesting characters that he talks to so that we can eventually get to some fanservice. I understand that those conversations need to exist, because they give us some insight into his thinking, but they could be far shorter and not have to end with incestuous nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom