• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
Wonzo's verbal economy notwithstanding, it is quite possible to say that "The anime Welcome To The NHK explores similar themes to the manga Ressentiment, and I think Ressentiment does so more effectively." without insinuating that Ressentiment is an anime. I'm sorry you weren't familiar with Ressentiment before but I hope you now have a vague idea what was meant :p

In the interests of provoking discussion rather than bickering - what do you think the NHK anime does particularly well? I happen to agree with Dresden - I think the anime, certainly in the earlier part of the series, makes Sato too likeable, and turns a story and premise which is deeply bitter and self-hating into something almost sympathetic. It doesn't help that the production values are appalling as well, as was typical of that era of Gonzo animation.

I'll be interested to see what you think of the novel. It's painfully obvious how much of it is autobiographical - a year or two back I read an ostensibly fictional book by someone I knew quite well at university that was similarly uncomfortable because you know that some of the stuff that seems ridiculously overblown is actually very close to the truth.

The NHK novel is certainly much more pessimistic than the anime, but I felt it didn't really go anywhere with its story and mostly served to make me very, very worried about the writer.

see now that would have been an agreeable post
I actually like resentiment and would like an anime adaptation, but its also not as similar to NHK as you make it out to be (especially when talking about the anime version)

I havent read NHK because I have trouble reading with text flickering, but I understand that sato is a more unsavory character therein

what the NHK anime does well? not much in particular, other than having pretty good casting (imo) and a really melancholic soundtrack
in a medium full of obnoxious voice actors and awful repetitive gags, NHK was a breath of fresh air at the time, and not many shows can a severely depressed person relate to on that level

sonicmj1

Azumanga Daioh 01:

That was pretty inoffensive, actually. It's not just a merciless onslaught of wacky hijinx and most of the humor just extends naturally from the various characters' foibles so I think I can handle this. I still want a refund because
they teased an Osakan character only for her to speak and act normally
:( Still, I think I'm going to like the whole
Osaka never actually being taken for who she is but only being a reluctant trick monkey for playing up everyone else's stereotypes
thing if it ends up being recurring. I do like gags with depressing undercurrents.

boy is early digital animation really not aging well

Glad you're enjoying it so far. The comedy generally comes from the characters. I wouldn't really compare the humor to Nichijou at all.

It's a great show, and I'm surprised you didn't start it sooner.

Mature

Azumanga Daioh 01:

That was pretty inoffensive, actually. It's not just a merciless onslaught of wacky hijinx and most of the humor just extends naturally from the various characters' foibles so I think I can handle this. I still want a refund because
Osaka never actually being taken for who she is but only being a reluctant trick monkey for playing up everyone else's stereotypes
thing if it ends up being recurring. I do like gags with depressing undercurrents.

Hurray! Carry on, it only gets better.

Azumanga Daioh 01:

Yeah, Osaka totally acts normal...

wonzo

Banned
Ixion Saga DT 15

ixionsagadt15.jpg

the gift that keeps on giving

I don't see how that was implying it was a show nor do I see the point of this discussion when it was already clarified not long after the fact.

Syrinx

K-ON!! 7

I'm going to venture a guess that this is one of Chet's favorites.

The Light Music Club holds a tea party for the Mio fan club, which I totally forgot was a thing. They have flashbacks to an earlier time where the club president/SC president was stalking Mio because she wouldn't get to see her much, so the club gave her a live performance, which they once again CUT AWAY FROM! THEY TOOK AWAY MY LIGHT AND FLUFFY TIME AGAIN! Not the best way to deal with a stalker IMO. But she seemed nice. So that's something.

Mio gets mortified during her opening speech and the QA session, but that seemed to make the fans like her even more. There was also a photo reel from her life, which had pictures of her and Ritsu as kids, giving a nice :cajunator factor (is that a thng?) Then they performed a new song, with some of Mio's better lyrics. Not saying too much, but still.

K-ON!! 7

I'm going to venture a guess that this is one of Chet's favorites.

The Light Music Club holds a tea party for the Mio fan club, which I totally forgot was a thing. They have flashbacks to an earlier time where the club president/SC president was stalking Mio because she wouldn't get to see her much, so the club gave her a live performance, which they once again CUT AWAY FROM! THEY TOOK AWAY MY LIGHT AND FLUFFY TIME AGAIN! Not the best way to deal with a stalker IMO. But she seemed nice. So that's something.

It is.
lawBr.gif

And they can't have too many performances in one episode. Don't be greedy!

cajunator

Banned
That's the spirit!

Being on the Wall of Shame brings immunity to the feeling!

Indeed it does. At this point, I feel no shame of any kind.
It could be argued, however, that I never did to begin with :D

Azumanga Daioh 01:

What do you mean not aging well? Azumanga Daioh still looks great...

Noir 6-7

kGNcsub.jpg

If I see this flashback one more time!

I warned you earlier XD
The flashback occurs quite often but at one point you'll see the whole scene play out and then no more flashback. Then the show gets quite interesting.

Uchip

Banned
It really isn't and if you spent less time focusing on technicalities by twisting other peoples words then maybe you'd realise that.

you compared dissimilar works of fiction from dissimilar visual mediums
you didnt even detail your reasoning behind it, just kind of threw it out there.

who are these people whos words I am twisting? which words am I twisting?
the fuck are you even talking about?

Branduil

K-on the Movie

iyiOxrhscmw0Z.jpg

ibsSC9g5Rj4j53.jpg

i82pAs6HjicHG.jpg

Jexhius really likes ninja girl outfits.

It was pretty good. I thought it was about half an hour too long. You can certainly see the work that went into researching the London streets and landmarks. It's funny how all the English character designs have big noses. I didn't find the get-Azusa-a-present subplot very enthralling, but the animators have done a good job building up a chemistry in the interplay between the characters. It's an inoffensive and fluffy movie with really good production value.

Also, dat mechanical animation:

iStaUcMBW4sz9.gif

iys0VBwvF2OAk.gif

Metrotab

Banned
Winter Backlog Anonymous: Wandering Son - 2

This show is a lot more enjoyable once you finally understand the character relationships.

Jarmel

Banned
JoJo 15-

Jesus Christ. The amount of talking in this show at times is beyond ridiculous. They really feel the need to explain every god damn thing in excruciating detail instead of just letting the scenes flow.

wonzo

Banned
Puchimas! 15

If only it was Haruka that fell headfirst from that platform instead.

you compared dissimilar works of fiction from dissimilar visual mediums
you didnt even detail your reasoning behind it, just kind of threw it out there.
I'm made it pretty clear what I was talking about earlier on. Stop getting so hung up about the fact that I'm comparing things across two different mediums.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
JoJo 15-

Jesus Christ. The amount of talking in this show at times is beyond ridiculous. They really feel the need to explain every god damn thing in excruciating detail instead of just letting the scenes flow.

It's part of the charm :p

Like every time Robin would say "Holy <insert incredibly obvious reference here>" in the old Batman show.

K-on the Movie

It was pretty good. I thought it was about half an hour too long. You can certainly see the work that went into researching the London streets and landmarks. It's funny how all the English character designs have big noses. I didn't find the get-Azusa-a-present subplot very enthralling, but the animators have done a good job building up a chemistry in the interplay between the characters. It's an inoffensive and fluffy movie with really good production value.

Also, dat mechanical animation:

iStaUcMBW4sz9.gif

iys0VBwvF2OAk.gif
insrx.gif

The one thing I loved about the K-ON! movie is that it actually feels like they're in a world full of real people. They didn't stay in London as long as I thought they would, but I thought it was the right length. Though I suppose that depends on whether you care about the characters like you said.

wonzo

Banned
Hataraki Man 3

hataraki3.jpg

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Japan's economy came to a screaming halt if all the alcohol in the country suddenly disappeared as I don't think Ramen's gonna cut it as a crutch for their shitty work-life balance.

hataraki3a.jpg

COPSLOCK

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hataraki Man 3

hataraki3.jpg

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Japan's economy came to a screaming halt if all the alcohol in the country suddenly disappeared as I don't think Ramen's gonna cut it as a crutch for their shitty work-life balance.

hataraki3a.jpg

COPSLOCK

Shrft

Uchip

Banned
I'm made it pretty clear what I was talking about earlier on. Stop getting so hung up about the fact that I'm comparing things across two different mediums.

that they cover similar themes?
the MMO arc from NHK has a similar feel maybe, except that its a real MMO rather than VR
I just dont feel that they are very similar works of fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom