• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
The two are... not that similar.

They really aren't. The structure and pacing feels different in Nichijou. The idea overall is similar though.

Awful shows always get such good ops.

You are so so so so so so so very wrong about this one.

It's been many years since I've watched Galaxy Angel, but what I was getting at is the slice-of-life aspect that Azumanga pioneered. GA wasn't really like that, was it?

Also, Azumanga is way cuter. Chiyo cannot be stopped.

Chiyo is cute but so is Mint Blancmange. Plus Mint has little animal ears that squeak.
Galaxy angel was often silly daily adventures the girls went on and it was oftentimes extremely random and silly. The comedy was hit or miss but sometimes it is VERY funny.

It's useful. This is what branduil's post looks like to me:

Thats how Neogaf mobile looks for me.

That's the thing, almost every Azumanga gif I've ever seen makes it look like it's full of the sort of randumb anime humor that I just don't like, almost like a proto-Nichijou. I'm not saying I'm not completely mistaken, that's just what's kept me from watching it.

Nichijou isn't even a 4koma, so it's safe to say they feel nothing alike.

wonzo

Banned
what does the word "show" implicate for you?
manga and anime are two very different mediums
I don't see why we can't compare things from different mediums to each other. It's pretty hard to take what happens in NHK seriously after reading Ressentiment and once you take that away from the show, all you're left with is yet another poorly animated Gonzo series.

(note: I haven't read the NHK manga or the Novel, the later which I recently ordered from Amazon for $29 so that'll soon change)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 1

Good episode. Loved the opening song, though not much of a fan of the ending

tumblr_m8h68cekeC1qig8s8o1_500.gif

Code:Breaker 12-13

What a finale.
Hitomi filled that Magneto role magnificently. It was sort of depressing to see the regret he carried during the Code:End process that seemed split between his plans failing and realizing he should have never cut the important people out of his life. It was also really nice to see the culmination in the characterization of the Code:Breakers themselves. Those cold blooded killers had just enough heroism about them that I like to think was inspired by Hitomi himself given their hero worship until the bitter end.

The conflict in these last two eps was so good too. One aspect of this I appreciate is you have the characters with a (mostly) full grasp of their powers so the fights end up interesting. The ice wielder vs the darkness wielder (whose names both escape me) just seemed creative in their execution in particular. The finale as a whole had a great sense of escalation too. Just when you thought it was over, nope, something else was afoot. It didn't feel forced either aside from possibly Ogami's final burst. I lost it when it looked like Hitomi was about to win by broadcasting a trigger to the bombs and darkness enveloped the tower out of nowhere and the calvary arrived.

I should have seen that prime minister thing coming too. It was a magnificent sell on the notion he'd be saved when the Code:Breaker's interrupted Hitomi's final assault that I never once considered the body manipulation Hitomi had demonstrated in the past would be present one more time. I think a lot of that had to do with the Yuki scene with him on the rooftop that gave him a sense of being untouchable.

You were so right.

Bestest Fall 2012 show, you have good taste ^^

Uchip

Banned
I don't see why we can't compare things from different mediums to each other. It's pretty hard to take what happens in NHK seriously after reading Ressentiment and once you take that away from the show, all you're left with is yet another poorly animated Gonzo series.

(note: I haven't read the NHK manga or the Novel, the later which I recently ordered from Amazon for $29 so that'll soon change)

film and TV are potentially much more comprehensive displays of artistry
its a collaborative effort involving a wider array of talents that deserves to be taken into account. You cant compare the acting, the audio work, the use of colour and cinematography, to a black and white comic.

wonzo

Banned
film and TV are potentially much more comprehensive displays of artistry
its a collaborative effort involving a wider array of talents that deserves to be taken into account. You cant compare the acting, the audio work, the use of colour and cinematography, to a black and white comic.
Yeah and I don't see what that has to do with anything I said. Especially when I'm comparing the actual plot and story themes of both works.

Uchip

Banned
Yeah and I don't see what that has to do with anything I said. Especially when I'm comparing the actual plot and story themes of both works.

"its a good show"
"not its not, ressentiment is"

you cant see how this is confusing?
I actually had to check and see if there was an anime version

To Aru Majutsu no Index II

Science > Religion

Basically all there is to sum it up. The only religion-themed arc that held interest to me was the Orsola Aquinas arc, the rest of the religion-themed arcs bored me to hell.

Touma is even worst in this season but on the flipside Accelerator is a fucking badass, Index is still annoying.

Overall I'm glad I watched it but it's only redeeming quality is Accelerator and the science-side really.

BluWacky

Wonzo's verbal economy notwithstanding, it is quite possible to say that "The anime Welcome To The NHK explores similar themes to the manga Ressentiment, and I think Ressentiment does so more effectively." without insinuating that Ressentiment is an anime. I'm sorry you weren't familiar with Ressentiment before but I hope you now have a vague idea what was meant :p

In the interests of provoking discussion rather than bickering - what do you think the NHK anime does particularly well? I happen to agree with Dresden - I think the anime, certainly in the earlier part of the series, makes Sato too likeable, and turns a story and premise which is deeply bitter and self-hating into something almost sympathetic. It doesn't help that the production values are appalling as well, as was typical of that era of Gonzo animation.

I'll be interested to see what you think of the novel. It's painfully obvious how much of it is autobiographical - a year or two back I read an ostensibly fictional book by someone I knew quite well at university that was similarly uncomfortable because you know that some of the stuff that seems ridiculously overblown is actually very close to the truth.

The NHK novel is certainly much more pessimistic than the anime, but I felt it didn't really go anywhere with its story and mostly served to make me very, very worried about the writer.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Azumanga Daioh 01:

That was pretty inoffensive, actually. It's not just a merciless onslaught of wacky hijinx and most of the humor just extends naturally from the various characters' foibles so I think I can handle this. I still want a refund because
they teased an Osakan character only for her to speak and act normally
:( Still, I think I'm going to like the whole
Osaka never actually being taken for who she is but only being a reluctant trick monkey for playing up everyone else's stereotypes
thing if it ends up being recurring. I do like gags with depressing undercurrents.

boy is early digital animation really not aging well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom