• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Every anime I've never watched is my backlog.

Well that's stage 1 complete.

Stage 2, subliminally post Azumanga gifs till it rises up the backlog priority.

chiyo-2.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There's an extension for gaf that lets you see the the titles and play them in-line if you so choose. Beats the random youtube link even if it does break the occasional formatting.

Oh. I didn't know that. Do we have a thread for all of the useful gaf add-ons for chrome?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Diebuster was Gainax!?

*checks on MyAnimeList*

Fuck MyAnimeList and their shitty weaboism, I was wondering what the fuck was Top wo Narae! was for a minute.

Only 6 eps.

And early Gainax to boot.

I'm so glad you posted this during "backlog season", looks like I've got a nice little short somethings to watch along with Yoiko.
Please tell me you've watched Gunbuster before.

P.S. Watch Gunbuster you nitwits.

cajunator

Banned
That's the thing, almost every Azumanga gif I've ever seen makes it look like it's full of the sort of randumb anime humor that I just don't like, almost like a proto-Nichijou. I'm not saying I'm not completely mistaken, that's just what's kept me from watching it.

It is, and not watching Azumanga is forgiveable but WHY HAVENT YOU WATCHED HAIBANE RENMEI? :(

Uchip

Banned
Yeah, Naruto copies Hunter x Hunter in a number of places.

The Akatsuki = the Phantom Troupe
Sasuke = Kurapika
Tsunade = Biscuit
Chuunin Exam = Hunter Exam
Forest of Death = Zevil Island
Chakra test with a piece of paper = Nen test with a piece of paper (this is possibly the most shameless thing in the history of manga)

heh, forgot about the paper one
Bleach seems to take after yu yu hakusho

Mature

That's the thing, almost every Azumanga gif I've ever seen makes it look like it's full of the sort of randumb anime humor that I just don't like, almost like a proto-Nichijou. I'm not saying I'm not completely mistaken, that's just what's kept me from watching it.
That's pretty reasonable. I feel like the market is oversaturated with those types of shows and Azumanga sort of pioneered it which is why it gets a free pass. I actually still put it on more of a pedestal than those aforementioned anime because it's humor is better placed. You'll immediately tell if it falls into the camp you don't like from the first couple episodes. At any rate, definitely worth a look if you ask me.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 19
tumblr_mgxxwcfXGl1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mgxxwcfXGl1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Thank goodness, after seven days can finally move on to some other plot and what not. Sure got some joy from this arc but the last episode probably was the first time where I was getting tired of the feeling of deja vu and was ready to move on. The fourth episode too gave me those feelings, but I think it was just me still settling in considering the arc and they still threw in a few different perspectives from there.

Kind of deep and mindblowing.
as it just came from nowhere how it was resolved. Was definitely thinking theyd have to embrace her and go I love you, or just suggest something early on that wasnt on the list, all these false hints shown just put me on the wrong path and made me think of the wrong things, like they having to beat haruhi at bug catching or do something big on that extra day, but to think it had to actually be something not involving Haruhi but actually with Kyon. Its like the world had revolved around him and his own personal list or something. Homework is just so easily overlooked and not something I would even consciously have on a list. Which seemed similar to Koizumi and even Asahina.

Post conclusion Kyon Koizumi scene was great.

My heartfelt condolences on those that had to watch this weekly when it aired.

Steroyd

It kind of is, but alot more coherent.

Please tell me you watched Gunbuster before.

P.S. Watch Gunbuster you nitwits.

No I haven't watched Top wo Narae!, because normally when I hear a title with the genre tag "mecha" attached to it, I usually poke it with a ten foot barge pole and walk away.

But I'm getting better in that regards, I did watch Code Geass, Evangelion, and Tengen Toppa Guerran Lagann in the last 2 years (or was that just last year) for the first time.

cajunator

Banned
That's pretty reasonable. I feel like the market is oversaturated with those types of shows and Azumanga sort of pioneered it which is why it gets a free pass. I actually still put it on more of a pedestal than those aforementioned anime because it's humor is better placed. You'll immediately tell if it falls into the camp you don't like from the first couple episodes. At any rate, definitely worth a look if you ask me.

Actually, Galaxy angel came before Azumanga. but Azumanga pioneered it taking place in a school. Galaxy angel was taking place all over the place and in space.
Galaxy angel is also WAY cuter.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
No I haven't watched Top wo Narae!, because normally when I hear a title with the genre tag "mecha" attached to it, I usually poke it with a ten foot barge pole and walk away.
People like you are the reason we got CGI Evangelions. :(
But I'm getting better in that regards, I did watch Code Geass, Evangelion, and Tengen Toppa Guerran Lagann in the last 2 years (or was that just last year) for the first time.
Watch Gunbuster first. It's a seminal :SDBurton work. Then Diebuster, which is even more :SDBurton.

Dresden

The two are... not that similar.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm really sorry to bother yall but do you guys mind doing me a favor? I lost all of the links for the add-ons I asked for in the past.

Do you guys mind linking some useful add-ons for GAF yall use? An example would be the colored quoting one.

Branduil

Azumanga is Nichijou if Nichijou was consistently funny. Kiyohiko Azuma is a good comedy writer, there's a reason everybody futilely hopes for a Yotsubato anime.

Mature

Actually, Galaxy angel came before Azumanga. but Azumanga pioneered it taking place in a school. Galaxy angel was taking place all over the place and in space.
Galaxy angel is also WAY cuter.
It's been many years since I've watched Galaxy Angel, but what I was getting at is the slice-of-life aspect that Azumanga pioneered. GA wasn't really like that, was it?

Also, Azumanga is way cuter. Chiyo cannot be stopped.

Steroyd

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 19

My heartfelt condolences on those that had to watch this weekly when it aired.

Lots-of-laughs.gif

Oh man, if only you knew, I still haven't watched the movie, because the scar burns deep, but one day...

People like you are the reason we got CGI Evangelions. :(

I'm sorry for the downfall of hand drawn mecha anime.

Can i admit, I "accidentally" watched Full Metal Panic, looking for Fullmetal Alchemist many years ago. lulz.

Watch Gunbuster first. It's a seminal :SDBurton work. Then Diebuster, which is even more :SDBurton.

I was sold on it being a 6 episoder, not that that's always a bonus.

Shergal

It's been many years since I've watched Galaxy Angel, but what I was getting at is the slice-of-life aspect that Azumanga pioneered. GA wasn't really like that, was it?

Also, Azumanga is way cuter. Chiyo cannot be stopped.

Another one from that era is Hare+Guu. It's not exactly a traditional setting, but there is a school and all.

I only bring this up because I was watching Kyoani's episodes of Hare+Guu today and they are pretty great. Imagine the comedic genius of Tsutomu Mizushima fused with the (already very good at the time) animation of Kyoani, and the storyboard work of both Yamakan and Takemoto. It's a very satisfying result, at the very least!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom