• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What's a knob? Is that sexual because if you want to have sex with me, I'm not ready yet. Also, I'm not sure if you were thoroughly satisfied by my handling of the situation and closed the tab or if you found me repulsive and closed the tab :S

Wait. You wrote that?

For the future don't start things with bad roleplay.

A knob is a penis, a object to open a door with or a small substance i.e. a knob of butter.

Noirulus

Somehow one of the weirdest parts was how bluntly and openly they threw spoilers into the open. I guess it's a good thing most of what they are discussing is really old.

I found it rather funny that they prefaced the Death Scene of the Year section with a spoiler warning, yet the images of the character deaths are literally a few millimetres underneath the warning. Silly people.

Bad memories.
Terrible.
Why? Why?
I can never go back...
I cannot unsee...
The horror...
Mommy help me...

Chocolate-coated bananas. shudder

Maedhros

I'm sure SAO will end on the top 10 this year. It was super popular, outside of this and other hipster forums.

It doesn't require a brain to enjoy! That can only be a quality, right? :p

Ultimadrago

tumblr_m178z4x1rt1qa8oqrxd.gif

Nafe

That was me! Though maybe he did too earlier and I just missed it.

And holy cow, cajunator almost had as many posts just in these threads as I have total!
Never mind the fact that most of my posts came from 2012 anyways...

Ok, sorry if that was you. I think the majority of people posting here have a lot more posts than I do. I got accepted to NeoGaf in July and so far have only actually posted in the anime threads with just over 400 posts total.

Ami's First Love

Ami falling for a guy she never met?
SDBurton nightmare scenario!
lmao at the transformation and attack. Entire budget spent on that!
Hilarious stuff. What's amusing is I do sort of imagine love hitting her just like that too.

Sailor Moon S 113

http://i.imgur.com/qiWWd.png[IMG]

Hotaru is goth [I]as hell[/I]. I like her, she reminds me a lot to Rei Kawakubo (Comme des Garçons designer). Also her father (?) got the dumbest evil laugh ever, it never fails to crack me up lol.

So far she's the first outer senshi that I don't dislike. All the other ones are assholes. Pluto is hot but whatevz.[/QUOTE]

[quote][img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8qbcxKhf81rbtqsho1_500.jpg
I'm just going to ignore the outer senshi hate. I like all of them.

I'd like to try a kimono someday. For men, of course. XD I wouldn't look good in a women's for obvious reasons. ;P

Well, you could put on a blue/green haired, twin tailed wig and just claim you're cosplaying as Miku, haha.

Happy New Year!
http://i.imgur.com/Vapxx.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Haha, figures you'd use that one. The blonde one there looks like she's trying to feel the bust of the middle girl. Hmm, being busty already it seems like a Kimono and the obi really does just emphasize that further. Wearing black like that Ikaruga girl seems to hide it a bit.

[quote="Theonik, post: 45947444"]Well Cajunator joined GAF in 2012 for one if his profile is to be believed![/QUOTE]

Hmm, I just quickly checked his profile and it says he joined on November 16 2010. I also remember him posting in the Spring 2011 threads as he had a Homura avatar at the time.

[quote="/XX/, post: 45949923"][url="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33661573#post33661573"]At that moment I thought you would find [B]Chihya[/B] more adorable[/url], but I see I was wrong... decide now! What would you prefer, to brush a conventional fluffy tail or to brush instead an also [url="http://www.occn.zaq.ne.jp/kusare/img/4koma/idol_19.jpg"]fluffy[/url] and much [url="http://www.occn.zaq.ne.jp/kusare/img/4koma/idol_459.jpg"]OVERLOADED[/url] mane? Answer me![/QUOTE]

Wow, Chihya looks like a super cutie! I think this is going to be a fun show! :)
I'm even one of the ones who likes [B]Xenoglossia[/B]!

[quote="/XX/, post: 45950687"][B]Halcyon Realms – Animation.Film.Photography and Art Book Reviews » » Howl’s Moving Castle Storyboard Book Review[/B]
[url]http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/animation/howls-moving-castle-storyboard-book-review/[/url][/QUOTE]

Haha, you know, every time [B]Halcyon Realms[/B] gets mentioned I still think of the poster [B]Haly[/B] as his name used to be [B]Halycon[/B].

[quote="Ultimadrago, post: 45956643"][U]Open Backlog Schedule[/U]

[B]Hataraki Man[/B] - Monday

[B]Wandering Son [/B]- Tuesday

[B]Mouryou no Hako[/B] - Wednesday

[B]Windy Tales[/B] - Thursday

Starting [I][B]Monday[/B][/I] next week (January 7th)

I'll be posting this again in the coming days in case anyone who was interested missed it.[/QUOTE]

I have been thinking about watching [B]Windy Tales[/B] for a little while now so I might join in on that. I might not though as I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep to the schedule with how things are for me.

[quote="Articalys, post: 45958257"] Regarding SAO, I still like the source material and think Phantom Bullet wouldn't be quite [I]as[/I] reviled should it get an adaptation, but I'll agree that the anime did more to emphasize the flaws in the story than play to the strengths of what's normally supposed to happen when you adapt a light novel for animation.[/QUOTE]

I didn't watch the show so I have no idea what it's like but I wonder if SAO will do well sales wise in the west and then possibly the novels will also get translated maybe? I'm not sure what the light novel market is like as far as English releases but I see different ones here commenting about [B]Spice & Wolf[/B] slowly but surely getting released. I know some [B]Haruhi[/B] novels were translated but I'm not sure how many or if that's still ongoing or completed.

[quote="Theonik, post: 45958531"]There is a direct correlation of :chet and height![/QUOTE]

Maybe you're just joking but a girl can be shorter and still busty or tall and flatter.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Let's do this...

The Vision of Escaflowne - End

1325077-27ZG80E.jpg

"Masterpiece", "timeless", "classic"... these are all words which no longer hold any meaning. We've used these descriptors so frequently now, that using them to describe anything as the way they are, rather than the way we feel, has lost impact. I thought perhaps that I wouldn't write anything after finishing this series since I lack both the linguistic abilities as well as the insight necessary to convey what needed to be said (well, I'm still not sure that anything needs to be said at all). But writing a traditional, and more analytic review seems no more than an injustice to the experience, if anything. It would be a disservice of me to even try - rather than to urge one to simply view it for themselves.

I was once fortunte enough to attend a lecture by legendary art instructor Marshall Vandruff. Among several revelatory bombshells, Marshall told an audience that consisted of a room full of artists (and I paraphrase): "People don't pay you to make art. They pay you to have an emotional reaction to your art." I had to think about this for a while before it started to make sense to me. Why was I even attracted to art at all? Why do I feel my heart race at the apex of beautiful story, or when standing in front of a painting by Degas? The simple and obvious answer to me is that we're human. What would otherwise just be patterns of line and color to anything else, art can elicit emotion of the human mind. Entertainment at its finest is certainly no stranger to this concept, as it wields the tools of story telling to involve and envelope us.

And as we become invested, great stories will often ask questions not just of their protagonists, but also of its audience. They can teach our heroes lessons, and if handled with the right sensibilities, they can teach us too. When Allen told Hitomi that mastery of the sword meant mastery of the self - it wasn't just so she could understand Van's personal struggle - it was a message to the viewer as well. The idea that one must be able to respect and understand one's own emotions in order to control them. There were several such lessons, as well as some lofty subject matter, ranging from the inevitability of conflict, to the age-old debate of free will versus predetermination - and what part do our emotions play in these outcomes? Every subject is given appropriate time and respect without becoming monotonous, preachy, or pretentious - and it isn't at the expense of the story either. And while the human ideal of free will and choice trumping controlled determinism isn't an idea I share in particular, it feels fitting none the less, given the optimistic notes on which the show finally settles. As humans many of us enjoy the notion that we alone can forge our own destinies. We respond to it, for better or for worse. In some sense, it's our own frailty which makes us beautiful.

In the end, it is worthless for me to talk about the plot (which is great), the pacing (which is excellent), the characters (which are memorable), the score (which is utterly magnificent), or the beautiful pain-staking hand animation. What matters to me are my emotions, my immersion, and my involvement with this world and with these characters. This is why I watch anime. I watch to be involved, to be overwhelmed, and to fall in love.

This is a show that is hard to say goodbye to, and impossible for me to rate.

But for those of you who must know how I would rate it. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give this show 483 Balguses.

I find it hard to believe that so many of you finished Kokoro Connect. The first episode was bland and boring.
Each arc started similarly like that however I really like school club anime and Aoki and Taichi kind of great characters, and Inabas voice is simply good so it was worthqhile and the anime is actually, close to being as good as Hyouka and Koi to Senkyou to Chocolate for drama this year.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Was this the battle that flashesoflight.gif came from? Because if so........no words.

If you are referring to:
ibyd78BFdWfvjR.gif

That was from the terrible CGI skeleton thingymcjig.

The battle they are talking about was when Kirito revealed he has duel sword skills that he didn't want to use just incase it meant saving some people's lives.

Why do I remember this?

jgminto

If you are referring to:
http://i.minus.com/ibyd78BFdWfvjR.gif[/MG]

The battle they are talking about was when Kirito revealed he has duel sword skills that he didn't want to use just incase it meant saving some people's lives.
[B]
Why do I remember this?[/B][/QUOTE]

Because it's such a brilliant show. Obviously.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If you are referring to:

Why do I remember this?

Oh, right, that was it. Gleaming Eyes had the sword slash beam spam.

I'm sure SAO will end on the top 10 this year. It was super popular, outside of this and other hipster forums.

Awww come on! No need to insult the entire viewership. SAO has not only brought many new people into anime and infused the industry with cash but it also contributed to not lowering the quality level of shows this season (something that can't be said for most other new comers). Though they may not be found on GAF in great numbers, many seasoned anime viewers who (those that care) are credited with impeccable taste that wholly endorse the series' superiority so while it may not be liked by all and because no anime is liked by all, can we all just agree that SAO is in the top 20 anime of the year and in the top 10 of all time?
<3

cajunator

Banned
There's NO WAY SAO will make it to top 10. No way.

You know in your heart this is absolutely false.

Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito 10

A bucket wrench rode out on a bodacious motorcycle to the park owned by the blowjob company. When it noticed the toilet there was forsaken, he went to the governor and urinated a football into his skyscraper. The governor was euphoric with the bucket wrench and had it endowed with a penis.

Garugantua stumbles into a new world with funktacular physics and meets another fox girl. This one's different, though. His goblins or whatever keep falling into oblivion but keep ending up back at the house. But then, out of bumbfuck nowhere (I'm gonna guess a village of mole people in Bulgaria), the princess whose energy he stole (or whatever the fuck he did) and who killed herself appeared at the house.

Then the show decides that it's doing an absolutely masterful job of weaving these timelines together (LOL), so it decides to take things to the future, onboard a spaceship full of lolis in a bathhouse! Funderful. Then, because the writers are presumably a bunch of genetically modified hamsters at the center of breakthrough scientific research, put Hatsuki and Ririsu on the spaceship. Onboard they learn that an AI is raising the children because the adults have been dying. It's also been providing voices for their parents' dead bodies. Because the children can't tell they're dead. Even in a sheltered environment, you'd think they'd know the difference between somebody who'd dead and somebody who's alive. But then again, Weekend at Bernie's exists.

Three more to go. I'm fairly sure aliens and/or vampires will somehow play into the end.

Oh
ohohohohohoh
hahahaaha
heeehee
*snorts and chortles

I have never eaten a hat before though...

The taste leaves something to be desired. I have a strong hunch you will soon have to learn to like the taste.

Oh. I guess this could be arranged. Who wants in?

You really dont want to do this...
Actually, it seems as though you do. Foolish mortal.
cute though.

Three-way split with Momiji from Binbougami Ga and Marii from Joshiraku.

You present VERY strong arguments as there were many great examples of best girls this year. Aside from the ever amazing Nazuna in Hidamari, there was also Natsume from Tonari, Touka from Chuunibyo, Misaki from Hyouka, and Morgiana from Magi...I cannot choose with any conscience of certainty.

Maedhros

Awww come on! No need to insult the entire viewership. SAO has not only brought many new people into anime and infused the industry with cash but it also contributed to not lowering the quality level of shows this season (something that can't be said for most other new comers). Though they may not be found on GAF in great numbers, many seasoned anime viewers who (those that care) are credited with impeccable taste that wholly endorse the series' superiority so while it may not be liked by all and because no anime is liked by all, can we all just agree that SAO is in the top 20 anime of the year and in the top 10 of all time?
<3

I actually enjoyed SAO man. SAO, not ALO (outside of some episodes). It's like watching the Expendables movies... shut off your brain and enjoy.

<3

Unfortunately mal says sao is like 80th best anime of all time :(

If you are referring to:
ibyd78BFdWfvjR.gif

Why do I remember this?

It was an incredibly effective use of lines curves and color. Simply put, the purest expression of the way of the sword. It's the art of the sword I found online. Can it get any purer than that? Amirite or I am right?

I actually enjoyed SAO man. SAO, not ALO (outside of some episodes). It's like watching the Expendables movies... shut off your brain and enjoy.

Honestly, I enjoyed it a lot as well. Not to put words in your mouth, I don't think its brain-dead viewing but I do find that I didn't get frustraited when I just accepted points that didn't get explained since they didn't stop me from following the story at hand. It's not really a show to spark philisophical debate. It has good clean action and a hero that doesn't push my buttons. That's all I can ask for.

Haha, figures you'd use that one. The blonde one there looks like she's trying to feel the bust of the middle girl. Hmm, being busty already it seems like a Kimono and the obi really does just emphasize that further. Wearing black like that Ikaruga girl seems to hide it a bit.

I had a good K-ON! one, but I used that in the K-ON! thread.

And I like busty girls in kimonos, for the same reasons you listed. The Senran Kagura anime is almost here, I can hardly wait!

cajunator

Banned
Sake Episode of Side-A - 13

Oh man, look like shit's about to get real!

Man, this show plays you like a fiddle in a Cajun band.

Shakugan no Shana 04

Only one outburst? There's no need to save them!

So we get our required infodump while the Kugiloli is stripping. I am disappointed that the busty lady with the funny book ends up fighting as a giant bear. Boring. And I guess the harem is gonna grow.

URUSAI URUSAI!!!!!!
Fuck that show. Escape while you still can.

puchimas 2

puchimasu2.jpg

a cardboard box is fine too

This is so ridiculously cute I have to watch it. Shows like this I just hnnngh the whole time like in PoyoPoyo so I just enjoy them without really saying anything.

How can one hate a pillow?

Well, some people have been known to fire a gun into their pillow in anger...or fire something else into special pillows out of love.

Did the show stroke your eyebrow fetish too raw?

I dont know what it stroked, maybe my brain. I never stopped twitching uncontrollably and curling up in a corner after that. In fact Im posting from that exact location to this day.

This is certain beyond a doubt. I've seen avatars nd SAO in the Gaf wild. Its inevitable. Someone even has a CHristmas Asuna avatar.

About Berserk...

Has it been revealed if the movies will cover any new material?

...also, about Hunter x Hunter...

Has it been revealed if the remake will cover any new material?

...also, about Evangelion...

Has it been revealed if the "re-imagining" will cover any new material?

...also, about IS...

Has it been revealed if the vommit will be covered with saw dust?

cajunator

Banned
Let's do this...

The Vision of Escaflowne - End

1325077-27ZG80E.jpg

"Masterpiece", "timeless", "classic"... these are all words which no longer hold any meaning. We've used these descriptors so frequently now, that using them to describe anything as the way they are, rather than the way we feel, has lost impact. I thought perhaps that I wouldn't write anything after finishing this series since I lack both the linguistic abilities as well as the insight necessary to convey what needed to be said (well, I'm still not sure that anything needs to be said at all). But writing a traditional, and more analytic review seems no more than an injustice to the experience, if anything. It would be a disservice of me to even try - rather than to urge one to simply view it for themselves.

I was once fortunte enough to attend a lecture by legendary art instructor Marshall Vandruff. Among several revelatory bombshells, Marshall told an audience that consisted of a room full of artists (and I paraphrase): "People don't pay you to make art. They pay you to have an emotional reaction to your art." I had to think about this for a while before it started to make sense to me. Why was I even attracted to art at all? Why do I feel my heart race at the apex of beautiful story, or when standing in front of a painting by Degas? The simple and obvious answer to me is that we're human. What would otherwise just be patterns of line and color to anything else, art can elicit emotion of the human mind. Entertainment at its finest is certainly no stranger to this concept, as it wields the tools of story telling to involve and envelope us.

And as we become invested, great stories will often ask questions not just of their protagonists, but also of its audience. They can teach our heroes lessons, and if handled with the right sensibilities, they can teach us too. When Allen told Hitomi that mastery of the sword meant mastery of the self - it wasn't just so she could understand Van's personal struggle - it was a message to the viewer as well. The idea that one must be able to respect and understand one's own emotions in order to control them. There were several such lessons, as well as some lofty subject matter, ranging from the inevitability of conflict, to the age-old debate of free will versus predetermination - and what part do our emotions play in these outcomes? Every subject is given appropriate time and respect without becoming monotonous, preachy, or pretentious - and it isn't at the expense of the story either. And while the human ideal of free will and choice trumping controlled determinism isn't an idea I share in particular, it feels fitting none the less, given the optimistic notes on which the show finally settles. As humans many of us enjoy the notion that we alone can forge our own destinies. We respond to it, for better or for worse. In some sense, it's our own frailty which makes us beautiful.

In the end, it is worthless for me to talk about the plot (which is great), the pacing (which is excellent), the characters (which are memorable), the score (which is utterly magnificent), or the beautiful pain-staking hand animation. What matters to me are my emotions, my immersion, and my involvement with this world and with these characters. This is why I watch anime. I watch to be involved, to be overwhelmed, and to fall in love.

This is a show that is hard to say goodbye to, and impossible for me to rate.

But for those of you who must know how I would rate it. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give this show 483 Balguses.

This show is quite special. Masterful storytelling. Excellent memorable soundtrack. Compelling characters. Crazy mech battles. Batshit insane villain. excellent English Dub. Wonderful world building. MERLE. THOSE NOSES. Its all glorious anime perfection. This is a must own anime for just about everyone. At the very least everyone should see it because it is quite a memorable and worthwhile experience.
Enough with the hyperbole though, it really is just amazing. One of those shows that immediately makes you search for similar anime experiences to it, ultimately ending in disappointment when you realize it was one of a kind, and then you come to bitter reality that you will never again experience it for the first time again. You begin frantically searching for Stein's Gate, hoping to find a way to relive it, groundhog day style. But it opens up a nasty butterfly effect, and you end up marrying your Mother and ceasing to exist.
THATS HOW FUCKING AWESOME ESCAFLOWNE IS.
Just know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom