• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the voting thread is up I have to make a concerted effort to watch Yuru Yuri, Space Bros and Jojos. Space Bros in particular just sounds like the kind of show that should be required viewing before voting on anything related to anime. I'm expecting good things.
I wonder how Bakemonogatari would have done in a vote though.
Or is there one?
This is something I've been genuinely curious about. I joined the scene later so I have no idea what kind of reaction AnimeGAF had to Bakemonogatari. It sits in my top 5 for shows of 2012 if we don't worry about dates. Nise never reaches the bar Bake set.

Midoriyama Koukou Koushien Hen

aCmUH.jpg
cKDPN.jpg

5AlOF.jpg

mjsq6.jpg

tv3Hb.jpg

0WsRP.jpg

80s OVA series based on a shonen baseball manga. It's not subbed so I have no idea what they're saying, but visually it's a blast. The anatomy of the characters is absolutely insane, with some characters having such tiny heads that they almost make Hirohiko Araki's Phantom Blood style look normal. But it's all intentional ridiculousness; the visual style is extremely cartoony, funny and dynamic, coming across as a more comedic version of of Ashita no Joe's 70s raw sketchiness with an 80s OVA budget and thus more room for actual movement. The facial expressions are absolutely hilarious and it's full of interesting, storyboarding to boot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJr3vDeKOt8 This video is poorly-compressed so the framerate is pretty bad, but it should give you an idea of how it looks. Just note that the actual OVA is way more fluid.

Would love to see this subbed. It seems like a really fun over-the-top shonen.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Kokoro Connect 14-17

I didn't like Iori much before this and honestly I don't like her much now. Overall, I really enjoyed this show more than I should have and I love seeing the various shenanigans that goes down and how these characters deal with it. Inaba is definitely one of the stand out characters while Taichi freaking sucks. I really hope there's a S2 of this show cuz it totally deserves it but considering the crap that happened last year, we might not see it. Ugh.

Kokoro Connect 14-17

I didn't like Iori much before this and honestly I don't like her much now. Overall, I really enjoyed this show more than I should have and I love seeing the various shenanigans that goes down and how these characters deal with it. Inaba is definitely one of the stand out characters while Taichi freaking sucks. I really hope there's a S2 of this show cuz it totally deserves it but considering the crap that happened last year, we might not see it. Ugh.

Wasnt it a near full adaptation, I thought all but one book of the source material was animated?

Serious question - outside of First Gundam, have any of the Gundam compilation movies (or any Sunrise complication movie, for that matter) actually done a good enough job of encapsulating what is good about the respective series?

Not as far as I know. Most of them are pretty shitty. They also tend to be way too short.

I've wondered the same. I thought the Zeta movies were received well enough but on their own rather than series replacements though.

There are no Zeta movies. *sticks fingers in ears* They don't exist.

Lol... that's not the reason people here think it's bad... Aspis... wait for her. She is the worst fictional character IN THE ENTIRE EXISTENCE!

Not to mention the whole
we spent a whole episode going to this one island only to find out that the entire trip was pointless and the original island we were on was the place we wanted to be in the first place.

That shit was worse than Fake Namek.

35 and 36 were both great episodes, though I still like the former way more than the latter.

Yeah, 35 was much better. I did love 36 as well, but 35 just resonated so much more with me. Some of that might just be due to me being able to connect it more with my own life.

Dunno if this was posted yet, but FLOW did a radio preview for their new version of "Cha-La Head-Cha-La" for the upcoming DBZ film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5ig7siKAA

I like it, but then again I liked the original song and FLOW in general.

Crime against humanity.

Some things should be left alone. It's not as bad as that awful new version of Pegasus Fantasy, but this is...not cool. And I usually like FLOW, but not like this. :(

Cha-La Head-Cha-La is fucking sacred.

kokoro Connect 17
It's a total shame that this anime has ended .

i'm gonna have to put it into my AOTY list now because it's really great and that they found clever ways to create drama..i really wasn't expecting that

Kokoro connect works pretty well overall .
As for this episode , they relied on a lot of plot armor and conveniences and i'm ending this anime being totally satified.

Kokoro%20Connect%20-%2017.jpg

No way , really ? you're serious ?

Taishi : 7.5/10 ( a decent main character that actually got the plot moving when it counted on numerous occasions )

Iori : 6/10 ( A pretty good character with uneven moments ..still the voice performance during scenes was pretty good and powerfull )

Inaban : 8.5/10 ( excellent scenes and clearly the best voice work of the cast ) she was no doubt the best girl

Aoki 5/10 ( aoki is a decent character totally overshadowed by taishi ..still he was a pretty nice addition to the cast that didn't need to be even for this to work )

Yui 6.5/10 ( she spent this anime pretty well and devellopped properly ( as a character i mean ) a pretty decent character overall)

Heartseed 8.5/10 ( a very competent troll ..nothing else to add )

Maiko Fujishima 8/10 ( a very fun character to see outside the main group )

Rina Yaegashi 9/10 (IOTY , shorts scenes but still great reactions )

Wasnt it a near full adaptation, I thought all but one book of the source material was animated?

Not really , we got :
  • Hito Random
  • Kizu Random
  • Kako Random
  • Michi Random

we're missing :

• Clip Time
  • Nise Random
  • Yume Random
  • Step Time
  • Asu Random

so i guess they can make another
Just so that everyone's clear ..Asu random is indeed the final arc it's in 2 volumes and the last one is still waiting to be published.

Shakugan no Shana 11

If there was a theme this episode, it was kissing.

Our Kugiloli learns about kissing, we get enough incest kissing that SAO wishes it had, we get poorly drawn drama kissing, we get it all.

[
Not really , we got :
  • Hito Random
  • Kizu Random
  • Kako Random
  • Michi Random

we're missing :

• Clip Time
  • Nise Random
  • Yume Random
  • Step Time
  • Asu Random

so i guess they can make another
Just so that everyone's clear ..Asu random is indeed the final arc it's in 2 volumes and the last one is still waiting to be published.

Wow then I wonder why they went with only 17 episodes if they still had that much material. Hopefully that pr affair and etc didnt hit too hard to keep them from going on.

hidamari sketch 10

speaking of which, now that i think about it.... this show is pretty adorable :3

And why did it take me so long to realize yuno is same va as Working Popura?

And shit is getting wider all the time.

I smell yuri in the air.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wow then I wonder why they went with only 17 episodes if they still had that much material. Hopefully that pr affair and etc didnt hit too hard to keep them from going on.

The current stopping was good. Anything more than that would require more VA and stuff considering it was a new year and more students joined the club I believe.

The current stopping was good. Anything more than that would require more VA and stuff considering it was a new year and more students joined the club I believe.

That is indeed the case ... i believe they were quickly show in the 17th episode as a light teaser.

The best way here is to stop at this point and wait for the final book to be done ..then maybe to adapt the rest in one season.

cajunator

Banned
Ritsu rediscovering her love for drumming was one of the best scenes in all of K-On!.

Yes, that was pretty endearing. I love little things like that in the show that puts it above merely moejunk.

What's interesting is the lack of Kids on the Slope votes. It's possible Tsuritama might beat it at this point.

Hopefully Tsuritama does, because its so much better.

savinganime23.jpg

survival strategy

Son of a bitch how did you get BSP already? :(
I think mine is still stuck waiting for another part of the order. Will have to check now. It did say January 8th. I got the Penguin Drum Part 1 discs already though. Its either being held up by Blood C or Denpa Onna. Both of which are worth waiting a bit longer for I suppose.

Wait, Sentai did a BD for BSP? And no one told me? *hmph*

Yeah they did. I go through rightstuf thoroughly making sure I don't miss much of anything. Kamisama Dolls has a release and Croisee in a Frozen Labyrinth. Several other cute shows too. Its hard keeping track of it all though.

Sounds like what AnimeGAF did to me in the past.

AnimeGaf only does this because it loves you <3

I guess for the sake of completeness, even though I'm not sure if they will return, there are some like Tiff who used to be Legendary_Warrior about a couple of years ago. Lurky was originally named something else when first getting here but I can't remember what it was now and it was only for a few posts as well so I suppose it doesn't matter.

That reminds me. I see there is an anime that goes by the title of Di Gi Charat. I wonder if that's where DiGiKerot comes from?

Haha, yeah true. Sometimes I get thrown off though. I think Fantastic Children, for example, came out in 2004 but the character designs and general aesthetics of the show kind of reminded me personally of slightly older shows. Until all the CG in the latter episodes anyway. Even some of the latter Sailor Moon episodes looked like they could have been more recent instead of the mid nineties to me too.

I miss those guys although they werent around long. Lurky was cool and Hix is a rare sighting. Tiff gets banned a lot so Im not sure where he is.
I also tied digiKerot's name to Digi charat before. Speaking of which that was a recent pick-up that I finally made from the rightstuf Christmas sale. Good classic zany Broccoli show.

As for the style of Fantastic Children, I could tell it was 90s-00's. It has the same appearance as Kino's Journey in terms of character design, and that style really didnt exist back then. It LOOKs older but you'd be hard pressed to find that style used before.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka 1-3

Well that escalated quickly...

Not really sure what to think so far. I'm enjoying it but it's not really gripping me yet. I like the art style though. Hopefully it gets
crazier
from now on, which I'm guessing it will. Surely Shaft will not let me down!

Nope. One of the best shows of recent times. I have high confidence that the show will not let you down. Madoka is very, very good.

That offset ponytail.  HNNNNNNGH.
RITSU IS THE BEST K-ON.
(thanks for gif'ing my favorite part too)
Inaba is easily the best girl in that show. She's pretty awesome. Taichi on the other hand is a piece of crap.

Yes, Inaba is the best. Shes a cutie and has a great VA.
I didn't comment much on Kokro Connect while watching it for some reason.

hidamari sketch 10

speaking of which, now that i think about it.... this show is pretty adorable :3

And why did it take me so long to realize yuno is same va as Working Popura?

And shit is getting wider all the time.

I smell yuri in the air.

Congratulations for discovering Shafts not so secret best show!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yeah they did. I go through rightstuf thoroughly making sure I don't miss much of anything. Kamisama Dolls has a release and Croisee in a Frozen Labyrinth. Several other cute shows too. Its hard keeping track of it all though.

I'm glad it's getting a BD release and all, I just want to get Ano Natsu in glorious high definition too!! >>;

Received some anime and other random stuff. Cant wait to rewatch Penguindrum...when part 2 comes all in one go. Seikon Qwaser was probably the only ecchi, I guess(?), due to sasha and the chemistry stuff, and I guess there is hana's va, and theresa, that I found actually worth watching....

jgminto

All that's been shown of Robotics;Notes so far has still been really good. Much better character development than most of the characters in Steins;Gate. It's a shame Kaito is such a douche. I'm really excited for what's to come though.

I've just watched those episodes in a row without blinking, though, so it's already pretty enjoyable.

Also, Frau is one of the best characters ever.

Frau kind of annoys me. The spouting of internet memes and phrases is really irritating. But there does seem to be a lot more to the character than that so I hope they can do something interesting with her.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My Little Inconclusive Ending 13
And this is why you try to make things work for the medium. What a waste of twenty minutes of my life.

Too much filler, and it's only one cour! Great character interactions and vibrant colour palette, awful pacing. Would watch a season two, which shouldn't exist since they could have covered new ground here. 3 out of 5 roosters

cajunator

Banned
My Little Inconclusive Ending 13

And this is why you try to make things work for the medium. What a waste of twenty minutes of my life.

Too much filler, and it's only one cour! Great character interactions and vibrant colour palette, awful pacing. Would watch a season two, which shouldn't exist since they could have covered new ground here. 3 out of 5 roosters

The show definitely would have benefited from a longer run.
Way too short. It was a lot of fun while it lasted!

Articalys

Received some anime and other random stuff. Cant wait to rewatch Penguindrum...when part 2 comes all in one go. Seikon Qwaser was probably the only ecchi, I guess(?), due to sasha and the chemistry stuff, and I guess there is hana's va, and theresa, that I found actually worth watching....
Dang, I forgot that Sonic The Hedgehog book was finally out. How it it?

I will be very upset if we don't get Tsuritama and Kids on the Slope on bluray.
Kids on the Slope has been confirmed for DVD/BD, I believe, but Tsuritama is still unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom