• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I just watched some of that girls and tanks show for pedophiles that you all love so much. Pretty hot tank action. Will continue.

Glad to hear you're on board, apart from your accusation that the show is for creepers. It's rather innocent series -

Ah, I've just seen those screen caps for the OVA. I stand corrected.

Jex

Not sure why I typed ZZ when I meant Zeta, it must have been because I was watching ZZ earlier.

Milamber

Nekomonogatari:Kuro 02

SAb0w.gif

HX5ik.gif

ZX0HY.gif

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

(◔ ω ◔)

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Shinobu, based band-aid. I want to watch more -monogatari for hachikuji (she's still in this, right?) and band-aid, but I still can't be bothered... If only I liked the show.

cajunator

Banned
Tendo from Grenadier used her boob bounce to reload the gun. So what it lacks in distance reflected, it makes up in amazing application of the bounce.

There you go. there's one example. An amazing one.
Japan has created applications for boobs that mankind had not conjured yet. they are way ahead of the curve.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Brothers 34

Funny that they mention the "astronauts seeing flashes of light" thing. I remember hearing that such phenomenon was explained due to how reduced gravity and pressure effects the fluids inside the eyeballs. It almost certainly has nothing to do with UFOs!

Also shit just got real.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
What is it that you don't like about it?

I don't wanna get into since I'm typing on my phone - but it just didn't click with me. Tested my patience with little reward. Didn't care for the kind of dialog or topics, didn't like the visual presentation, hated the pacing. What I loved where the characters. Kanbaru is smokin hot, and her monkey arm is so sexy. Hachikuji is so good! Snake girl and everyone.

Guess ill stick with doujin instead.

Asura's Wrath 11.5

Damn, Asura got fucked up, but then he fucked things up. Where was that big ass arm during the rest of the game? Would have helped against those fuckin turtles.

Articalys

Now that we've got at least a handful of simulcast titles announced, might as well crank out another one of these suckers. Will update as new developments occur.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sunday
CR - Ishida & Asakura - 10:00am PST

Monday
CR - The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyousuke - 10:35am PST

Tuesday
CR - LOVE LIVE! - 8:00am PST

Wednesday
CR - Encouragement of Climb- 10:00am PST
CR - Mangirl!- 10:00am PST
CR - Student Council's Discretion Lv.2- 10:00am PST
CR - gdgd Fairies 2 - 10:40am PST

Thursday
CR - Ai Mai Mi - 7:30am PST
CR - Hakkenden- 10:35am PST

Friday
CR - Maoyu Maou Yuusha - 10:00am PST
CR - Cuticle Detective Inaba - 7:00pm PST

Saturday
CR - Oreshura - 9:00am PST

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll

Narag

Didn't the recent Zeta movies kinda retcon stuff from ZZ? Seems like there would be continuity problems if they ever made ZZ movies. Not that I think they are ever planning to... lol.

Haven't watched them yet but I'm under the impression Kamille doesn't get mindfucked at the end of the movies.
That's certainly a departure.

cajunator

Banned
Now that we've got a good crop of simulcast titles announced, might as well crank out another one of these suckers. Will update as new developments occur.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sunday
(announcements pending)

Monday
(announcements pending)

Tuesday
CR - LOVE LIVE! - 8:00am PST

Wednesday
CR - Encouragement of Climb (Yama no Susume)- 10:00am PST
CR - Mangirl!- 10:00am PST

Thursday
CR - Ai Mai Mi - 7:30am PST

Friday
CR - Maoyu Maou Yuusha - 10:00am PST
CR - Cuticle Detective Inaba - 7:00pm PST

Saturday
CR - Oreshura - 9:00am PST

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll

Nothing really compelling yet aside from SnW3.

Dresden

hyouka - 06

Bad episode. Hyouka mysteries get flack for being mundane and boring but this makes the 'who was _______ in that ____ with the ___' episode look positively murderous. Enjoyed the first half, at least; later characterization enhanced enjoyment. Don't blame people for dropping the show at this point.

Still the anime of the year.

hNHv7l.jpg

Thoraxes

hyouka - 06

Bad episode. Hyouka mysteries get flack for being mundane and boring but this makes the 'who was _______ in that ____ with the ___' episode look positively murderous. Enjoyed the first half, at least; later characterization enhanced enjoyment. Don't blame people for dropping the show at this point.

I don't get what's going on.

cajunator

Banned
hyouka - 06

hNHv7l.jpg

Yes. This episode is the worst. but it does get a whole lot better shortly afterwards.
Stay with it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Brothers 35
That one was easily one of the best episodes yet, or maybe I'm just biased because we've all been in that situation before. I only wish real life were as optimistic as here.
;_; Good job Makabe-san! Kappe!

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 35

That one was easily one of the best episodes yet, or maybe I'm just biased because we've all been in that situation before. I only wish real life were as optimistic as here.

I know. Its one of my top 3 shows of the year. So fucking good. Who cares about the animation quality when its that good.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I know. Its one of my top 3 shows of the year. So fucking good. Who cares about the animation quality when its that good.
I don't think that's fair. The
moon-landing sequence
was laughably cheap. The show is thankfully character driven and as such it can hide the animation weaknesses, apart from the setting requiring very little in the term of opulence. It is playing to its strengths.

Articalys

Space Brothers 35

This episode is probably one of my personal top ten favorite episodes of any show from the entire year. The combination of everything at the end of the episode was just perfect:
Kenji's cheeky grin as he revealed the truth, his wife going from anxiety to sheer exhilaration, celebrating together as a family, the show's main theme playing triumphantly, and the final monologue about the blue suit and sky

cajunator

Banned
I don't think that's fair. The
moon-landing sequence
was laughably cheap. The show is thankfully character driven and as such it can hide the animation weaknesses, apart from the setting requiring very little in the term of opulence. It is playing to its strengths.

I agree. It really deserves better production values.

Jacob

One Piece: Episode of Nami

iXzPU.jpg

Don't blame me: this was the first result on Google Image search.

I've been trying to get into One Piece recently, but the glacial pace in the early episodes (which I've been lead to believe does not let up) and the sheer length of the show have been rather discouraging. I got about half a dozen episodes in but the drag was getting to me. I'd heard that the Arlong Park Arc was where the show got really good, so between that and all the mentions of Episode of Nami in the Anime of the Year thread I decided to give the roughly two-hour TV special a try.

My verdict? It was pretty good, and I really enjoyed it. I have a vague familiarity with the concept of One Piece from people I know who have watched it so even though I hadn't seen the official introductions of most of the characters it didn't feel too jarring. The story itself was surprisingly emotional and engaging. If I had to name a weak spot, however, it would be the endless fight scenes without tension. I guess that's what happens when I know ahead of time that the main characters have to survive for hundreds of future episodes. Still, it was definitely worth the time it took to watch and I appreciated getting to see a fast-paced, non-dragging version of an One Piece arc I'd heard a lot about.

9a3qy.jpg

I do have to admit that I had a hard time taking this shot seriously, though.

So anyway, I'm not entirely sure where to go with One Piece after this. My current thought is that I might go back to the original episodes and pick up with the Loguetown Arc, which I believe takes places right after Arlong. I'm hopeful that it will drag less than the introductory episodes once all the major characters are introduced and that more interesting things will happen more frequently. One Piece was the only one of the Big Three that I hadn't tried before and so far it feels like it has a lot of potential.

Dresden

yama no susume - 01

As far as these 3-minute short episodes go this was good stuff. Not a lot of room, obviously, but within that short runtime it manages to setup the friendship, the fear of heights, and most importantly, the trauma and the LOVE OF MOUNTAINS. Surprisingly competent. Will keep watching.

3w1AUl.jpg

So anyway, I'm not entirely sure where to go with One Piece after this. My current thought is that I might go back to the original episodes and pick up with the Loguetown Arc, which I believe takes places right after Arlong. I'm hopeful that it will drag less than the introductory episodes once all the major characters are introduced and that more interesting things will happen more frequently. One Piece was the only one of the Big Three that I hadn't tried before and so far it feels like it has a lot of potential.

There are still pacing issues and the arc right after Loguetown is a really bad filler that can be skipped.

If length is a big problem, I'd recommend reading the manga if you're a manga reader. If not, well I guess you'll have to deal with the anime, which is definitely not bad if you have the patience for it, and it definitely gets a lot better all around when the Arlong arc happens and stays that way mostly all the way up to the present story outside of filler and a few rough spots here and there.

You also might want to go back and watch (or at least skim through) the Baratie arc. It is kind of important since it introduces the Shichibukai.

th

Dang! The pin tac has been a favorite bully tool for Japanese anime girls for decades. Any cultural touchstone that would explain this or is it just a trope that people have chosen to run with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom