• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Brothers 36
2uV8w.jpg
I would not blame you if you dropped this in the post-exam arc, but everything since lift-off has been top notch. These past few character-driven stories have rocketed my appreciation of SpaceBros. All it needed was a little focus!

By the way, I'm amazed at how this show basically has one track yet it never gets tiresome. Great music is something that other A-1 Pictures works could use (are you listening, Magi?)!

wonzo

Banned
So anyway, I'm not entirely sure where to go with One Piece after this. My current thought is that I might go back to the original episodes and pick up with the Loguetown Arc, which I believe takes places right after Arlong. I'm hopeful that it will drag less than the introductory episodes once all the major characters are introduced and that more interesting things will happen more frequently. One Piece was the only one of the Big Three that I hadn't tried before and so far it feels like it has a lot of potential.
You're honestly better off just sticking with the manga and checking out some of the movies/specials (like the utterly fantastic Movie 6).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This episode is probably one of my personal top ten favorite episodes of any show from the entire year. The combination of everything at the end of the episode was just perfect:
Kenji's cheeky grin as he revealed the truth, his wife going from anxiety to sheer exhilaration, celebrating together as a family, the show's main theme playing triumphantly, and the final monologue about the blue suit and sky
The direction has always been very strong in SpaceBros. Kinda sad that the slow pace has apparently driven some of its audience away.

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 36

I would not blame you if you dropped this in the post-exam arc, but everything since lift-off has been top notch. These past few character-driven stories have rocketed my appreciation of SpaceBros. All it needed was a little focus!

By the way, I'm amazed at how this show basically has one track yet it never gets tiresome. Great music is something that other A-1 Pictures works could use (are you listening, Magi?)!

The one track is an incredibly uplifting and inspiring one so it works well in any situation in the show. I guess they gotta stick with what works. Kind of like that one track in Chihayafuru that plays all the time and is gorgeous.

What do you mean? Can you list examples? I cant think of any.

Was just watching Gunbuster (instead of working) and the jealous girl put one in the pilot seat of our heroin's (yeah.... I own that shit) mecha which she proceeded to sit on and it reminded me how I just saw this in a fairly recent anime last week and then I thought... I sure do see this a lot in anime.

Defuser

Nekomonogatari part 2 & 3
Now this is what I am talking about. More serious discussions and situations.

Gotta give Shafts credit for making westerns cartoon references when I don't see that in other studios.

CEa9b.jpg

bp51L.jpg

Kurita

The one track is an incredibly uplifting and inspiring one so it works well in any situation in the show. I guess they gotta stick with what works. Kind of like that one track in Chihayafuru that plays all the time and is gorgeous.
The whole soundtrack is amazing.

wonzo

Banned
Kamisama Kiss 13 END

kamikiss13.jpg

Wow, that was a really, really good finale. I'm honestly impressed! They really nailed the mix of comedy and drama with this one. There was some really nice cloth animation in the first ritual scene which is in stark contrast to the laughably horrible green fog effect earlier on in the episode. I'd still put My Little Monster over this but this show certainly had the better ending. Good stuff, I guess I'll check out the manga someday.

ah ah ah ah

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Brothers 38
So much confidence goddamn he's like fucking Bruce Lee in space.

Very excited about the bold new directions this show is taking. Also very sad that I'm caught up with the space bros and have to wait for more. :( Top three show of 2012 easily.

Now time for some girls and tanks!

wonzo

Banned
Hataraki Man 1

This was certainly something very different than what I'm use to as it's not often (if at all) that you see a story revolving around a female office worker nearing her 30's struggle with her work-life balance. Definitely a fresh breath of air after all the truly mundane shite I've been watching lately. I'm most certainly looking forward to where this show goes next as this first episode was pretty entertaining and did a really good job of setting up and hooking me in with the premise.

SHIGOTO MODE, ON! OTOKO SWITCH, IRI MASU!!!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
...Nobody told me about bad PSX-era FMV CGI with awful frame rate masquerading as tanks! And those ground textures are terrible! Are you guys trolling me?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
...Nobody told me about bad PSX-era FMV CGI with awful frame rate masquerading as tanks! And those ground textures are terrible! Are you guys trolling me?

A. The CGI gets better, seriously!

B. We definitely aren't trolling you, the first episode is definitely the weakest, the show gets so much better.

NeonZ

Didn't the recent Zeta movies kinda retcon stuff from ZZ? Seems like there would be continuity problems if they ever made ZZ movies. Not that I think they are ever planning to... lol.

Yes, I think the Zeta movies were designed to allow people to skip ZZ and go straight to CCA.

Kamile doesn't get his mind destroyed, Haman decides to leave the Earth sphere and takes Axis' fleet with her, but leaves Axis itself behind, and sends Minerva away, not taking her together with them.

So, basically a ZZ trilogy would need to have Glemmy as the main villain and send Kamille somewhere else somehow. They likely would need way too much new footage, and considering how Sunrise was unwilling to make completely new movies for Zeta, there's no way ZZ is happening.

Kazzy

That is indeed terrible, luckily it's by far the most egregious shot in the show. It only gets better, in every respect.

Westlo

A. The CGI gets better, seriously!

B. We definitely aren't trolling you, the first episode is definitely the weakest, the show gets so much better.

Yeah keep at it, I liked episode 1 but I just watched 2-4 in one hit the other day.. so good... and damn it knows how to end episodes in a way to make you want to jump straight into the next one.

Am I missing something here?

I've seen men in anime do the following:
  • Eat bowls of white rice while sniffing used female underwear for taste
  • Intercept the flem that disgusted women spit at them in mid-flight with their mouth and swollow it for sexual pleasure
  • Lick the drool of an attractive sleeping girl off the table she rested her head on because it was there

...sure you can argue this is fiction but these are ideas born out of the mind of real men and none of wish are outside of the realm of possibility. What would drive a man to do such a thing?

Don't mind him, he's a insane old man.

I've admitted to nothing that would prove my insanity. Show me the receipt!

Narag

I've seen men in anime do the following:
  • Eat bowls of white rice while sniffing used female underwear for taste
  • Intercept the flem that disgusted women spit at them in mid-flight with their mouth and swollow it for sexual pleasure
  • Lick the drool of an attractive sleeping girl off the table she rested her head on because it was there

Sometimes it feels nice to realize there's a world of anime out there I've not yet seen.

I always believed it was an artistic choice. Dunno if that's true or not, but it was damn good.

If anything, its for the effect.. They're thinking color can't capture the massiveness of the big explosion at the end.

Thought it was artistic choice and actually more expensive to do that way.

I've always assumed it was an artistic choice as well but I light of how we've (I've) been seeing productions recently that blow their load on a few fantastic episodes to leave the quality of the final episode(s) wanting, I'm wondering if this was a problem back in the golden age.

Watch Medaka Box 12, it all makes sense.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom