• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

Its one of the best series to come out in a long time.
You're seriously missing out on a great show just with this kind of silly closed minded thinking. The style is from Ume Aoki and she is known for a particular character design style that lends itself well to the series. yes its cute, but if you think this series is just another fluffy magical girl tale, then you are absolutely wrong in every sense of the word. Its one thing to dismiss the show based on appearances only, but keep your childish and ignorant nonsense out of the thread.

So all your SAO talk is trolling right

Kazzy

Honestly, the only thing I didn't like about Madoka was the odd visual direction of the show. I mostly attribute this to SHAFT being... well.... SHAFT.

Nonsense. Troll or not, I will bite!

My personal gripe is reserved for the ending.

I will never watch Madoka because the characters are deformed loli only crap.

Fuck that noise.

I must have misplaced my calendar, because this is opposite day, right? RIGHT!?

Noirulus

The only SHAFT visual direction I didn't really like was Monogatari's. Reading some of the novel prior to watching the show is probably the reason for this, because the novel does not describe any grandiose architecture design as seen in the show.

Syrinx

I suppose so, but at least they arent being judgemental about a show without giving it a chance first.

The thing is, most people really don't have enough time or energy to watch everything out there. We need some filters to decide what we give a chance and what we don't. For example, I have pretty much no interest in Lucky Star because the art just looks so...blah. It's not the moe necessarily, they just look weirdly drawn. So saying "fuck moe shit" may be a bit over the top, but we all need filters to decide where we invest our time.

Speaking of which, now I'm interested. You've watched so much anime over your life, but how do you filter what you do and don't watch?

Nafe

Idolm@ster-Puchimas!

Hmm, I guess with watching The Idolm@ster I just thought the Producer, or P, would be voiced by Kenji Akabane again but when he talked I could tell it was Junji Majima instead. Well, I think he could do Producer-san quite fine based on his character type.

Being a fan of Idolm@ster I think my only complaint is that I personally wouldn't mind if these little episodes were a little bit longer. I guess it works with the whole idea of things being petite though.

---

I don't know if I should feel flattered or insulted.

Haha, me neither. I think it was Hitokage wanted duckroll to have a furry type avatar for when Wolf Children came out and that was the avatar he first had before switching to the one of the plushy. I just quickly thought upon seeing it that he might have switched back but then immediately thereafter saw your name was all.

Ayako Kawasumi used to be everywhere... she used to get lead character/female and main female roles all the time. But like all seiyuus her time passes (or should I say marketbility is down) and the only main roles she gets this days are in sequels to shows she's already got those roles for. Her only main role of 2012 was Saber and she was casted as her back in 06... same for 2011 with part 1 of Fate/Zero. Her role as Tomomi Saikyo from Ladies versus Butlers! from 2010 is probably the last main character role she actually "won" :(

If Hayate no Gotoku's anime production stops being stupid and finally decides to animate the best part of the manga she'll get a main character role in that show since she's credited too Athena from J.C Staff's season of Hayate. (Assuming it doesn't get recast of course)

I've only watched upto the 4th episode of the second season (Banner), it's really good stuff, hope you enjoy the rest of it.

Ah, okay. Well I like her voice work so that will give me something to look forward to then when going back to watch some different anime shows.

Yeah, I'm personally definitely liking these first episodes of Crest of the Stars so far.

If you do let me know what you think. And they really do suck. :(

Okay, if I think of it when I get around to that point I'll let you know. Hopefully my Crest of the Stars remarks have been okay. I'm not really trying to be super articulate or anything, just writing down some thoughts and observations I had about the episodes.

My tag is a reference to a line spoken by Lafiel in that episode iirc!

Oh yeah, now that you mention it! Now I get the meaning behind your tag. You're right as well, it's part way through the episode where Jinto asks her what her name is.

MCD

The thing is, most people really don't have enough time or energy to watch everything out there. We need some filters to decide what we give a chance and what we don't. For example, I have pretty much no interest in Lucky Star because the art just looks so...blah. It's not the moe necessarily, they just look weirdly drawn. So saying "fuck moe shit" may be a bit over the top, but we all need filters to decide where we invest our time.

It's not that I am against moe, just don't feel any attachment watching deformed underage girls.

Give me well defined/clean characters, plain or classical look if you wanna refer to it like that. Shows like Fate/Zero, Darker Than Black, Full Metal, LOGH, any goddamn shonen out there and I will be more than happy.

No need to go all artsy fartsy on my ass just to get a point.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's not that I am against moe, just don't feel any attachment watching deformed underage girls.

Give me well defined/clean characters, plain or classical look if you wanna refer to it like that. Shows like Fate/Zero, Darker Than Black, Full Metal, LOGH, any goddamn shonen out there and I will be more than happy.
:dtl

Jintor

In my experience bias based on art style tends to fade around 2 episodes in to any given series if the storytelling is strong enough

Syrinx

I admit that I misremembered your post and I apologize for that. I haven't seen any of Madoka's art (or at least wouldn't recognize any of it), so I can't really comment on the "deformed" part, though it may not be all that unrelated to my disinterest in Lucky Star. The point about the filters still stands, though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Adding a third simulcast for the day, Crunchyroll picks up Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East.
I notice they can't make up their mind to write UK or United Kingdom. Terrible.

I will never watch Madoka because the characters are deformed loli only crap.

Fuck that noise.
Wow...

Favorite to win Anime of the Year here too, did you know
I'm disappointed by the turn out. I guess while the rest of GAF only cares for SAO we're the only one who care to vote for an AOTY.

Couldn't one argue that shouen characters are also deformed just in the other direction. I.e. tiny heads and massive muscles.

cajunator

Banned

Speaking of which, now I'm interested. You've watched so much anime over your life, but how do you filter what you do and don't watch?

Well aside from cute characters (which isnt a must have by the way) I also like grandiose stories, elaborate world building, effective comedy, and FUN characters. Occasionally I also enjoy stuff that is absolutely depressing or downbeat. It depends on my mood. Sometimes I am in the mood for hyper cute stuff, such as right now with K-On. Sometimes I am in the mood for long stories, such as Shangri La and simoun, and sometimes I like a good comedy, such as B Gata H Kei. Occasionally a show comes along with a mix of several things, such as Madoka and Steins;Gate, and those are absolute treats. JoJo doesnt have much in the way of cuteness in it but I find it highly enjoyable too. Generally there is no real rhyme or reason to what I like or not, but in for example SAO's case, the show neglected the only characters I cared anything about and then proceeded to hang itself with its own rope. Not only had it jilted the only characters that were interesting, but it completely ignored any sense of logic even in the same world it was created in order to come up with a bullshit ending to the arc. It was all so stupid and self servicing that the show disgusted me. Not many shows affect me that way though.
Generally I just go with my feelings as to what would be an enjoyable view or not. I wont comment badly on shows I havent seen though. Even watched a couple episodes of One Piece to get a feel for it but nope. Hated it.

MCD

In my experience bias based on art style tends to fade around 2 episodes in to any given series if the storytelling is strong enough

Took me 40 episodes till I tolerated One Piece. Good thing I was young and bored to tears back then.

JordanN

Banned

I can understand the underage but how are the characters deformed?

Do you mean these kinds of deforms?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_deformed

Jintor

Actually, come to think of it, the weird yaoi giant hands tiny head style might be the only art style I would be truly dismissive of based on looks alone.

Mind you, I still struggle to watch madoka. wideface is weiiiiiird

Noirulus

I've only watched upto the 4th episode of the second season (Banner), it's really good stuff, hope you enjoy the rest of it.

Oh hey, are you me? I stopped at probably the exact same spot lol. I really need to get back to it.

I feel similar. I don't really like Kaiji's art style but i'll be damned if it isn't one of my favorite anime.

Steroyd

I don't get why people need to be attached to characters, to enjoy a show!

Madoka's art works because it ultimately goes against what the show ends up being, of course people have to get past the initial barrier of it looking like "deformed loli only crap." to get to that point.

cajunator

Banned
K-On!! 04

Field trip episode.
This episode was really well executed. Accurately portrayed the fun and excitement of a long distance field trip. The girls of course being the high energy crazy bunch they are drove Sawako mad the whole time. Its so accurate its ridiculous. I would love to visit those shrines and other historical sites in rural Japan at some point in my life. Seems like such a fascinating place steeped in many traditions. You can really tell the staff who worked on K-On loved what they do. You can feel that they really gave a shit about making the best experience possible here.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Girls und Panzer 3

How rad would it be to look out your window in the morning and see a fucking tank just passing through your neighborhood?
I would be scared shitless. I'd assume there's a coup d'état going on, or worse, we had been invaded. Tanks are a lot more ominous than anime would like you to think!

Here's what I've dug up folks.

Here's an AMV (it's damn hard to find a video for this movie) of what appears to be the climax of the film which may jog your memory.

tAG_41279_zps72a85570.jpg

Hope this helps Motion. :) Even if it isn't the title you're looking for I'm going to have to check this out as it sounds and looks interesting.

That looks like it! I'll have to find a copy of it. Thank you Minsc

Caesnd

Some folks don't enjoy shows with children as the MC's, especially magical girls.

Ain't that much of a shocker. No piling on MCD, his opinion seems pretty sensible :p

If only there were more Kawajiri movies to balance things out a bit.

ZetaEpyon

K-On!! 04

Field trip episode.
This episode was really well executed. Accurately portrayed the fun and excitement of a long distance field trip. The girls of course being the high energy crazy bunch they are drove Sawako mad the whole time. Its so accurate its ridiculous. I would love to visit those shrines and other historical sites in rural Japan at some point in my life. Seems like such a fascinating place steeped in many traditions. You can really tell the staff who worked on K-On loved what they do. You can feel that they really gave a shit about making the best experience possible here.

Well it's not really rural Japan, since all of that stuff is in Kyoto...
Still, the accuracy is great - it's always a little surreal seeing places that I've actually visited rendered in an episode of anime. Tsuritama and all the other recent shows taking place in Enoshima gave me the same sort of feeling, too.

(Also, with it being Kyoto Animation, they'd damn well better get famous sites in Kyoto right, haha)

cajunator

Banned
I can accept just about any style if the story/show is enjoyable enough.
Kino's journey, for example, has frankly awful character design and strange art. Its a bit like Fantastic Children's art actually. but it is among my very favorite animes of all time because of the stories and characters contained in it as well as that masterpiece of an ending. Shows dont have to tick all the boxes to be fucking amazing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Some folks don't enjoy shows with children as the MC's, especially magical girls.

Ain't that much of a shocker. No piling on MCD, his opinion seems pretty sensible :p

But he didn't say that. He said the characters are "deformed loli only crap" unless that's what he calls children. Seems to be a rather strong opinion presented as fact for a show he's never seen. Last I checked they weren't even loli.

Adding a third simulcast for the day, Crunchyroll picks up Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East.

Brings them to four anime so far, Maoyo, Ishida & Asakura, Cuticle Detective Inaba, and Hakkenden Eight Dogs of the East, for anime on my list...bringing me to 15 anime Ill be watching on Crunchyroll next season. Now if they can still get Amnesia, ZKC: The Unlimited, and Bakkumatsu and then Id have all anime I wanted at least simulcast.

Also the Hakkenden PV looks nice, really hyped me up for it with reallt good character designs, don't know wy Crunchyroll has it unsubbed.
tumblr_mg2mstjUhp1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mg2mstjUhp1qbxqfpo2_500.png
tumblr_mg2mstjUhp1qbxqfpo3_500.png

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Nisemonogatari 1

10/10

In reality I would have rated this episode about 5 out of 10, but then there was an extended Hachikuji scene which was enough to bring the score up to perfect. Oh Hachikuji, you are such a kind and literate girl~ You are delicate, yet sophisticated - practical and money conscious. You are a master of wordplay, and your introspective insights and choice of lingerie proceed you by many years. Don't leave me Hachikuji! ;_; You're a perfect woman!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
But he didn't say that. He said the characters are "deformed loli only crap" unless that's what he calls children. Seems to be a rather strong opinion presented as fact for a show he's never seen. Last I checked they weren't even loli.

They do kinda have some wide ass angular faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom