• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but DTL totally doesnt have opinions of the masses...

The closest anime I have seen to fetishizing snuff/guro is probably Mnemosyne. that is total BDSM fetish material right there.

Yeah, I've seen that and remember getting through the whole series. There's also something like Tokyo Tribe 2. I guess the distinction I'd make between these and queens blade (while understanding what little I've seen of queens blade is far tamer than the mentioned shows) was that the shows is the explicit content in these shows informed the characters and disposition of the world the story was building while queens blade explicitness was pandering. I didn't find queens blade gory by any means. I just felt like queens blade kept trying to sell the whole "aren't these women sexy? Aren't you getting turned on by watching them leak? Don't you like watching them get beat?" vibe just wasn't jiving with me. It was tasteless. I just used something I found far more tasteless (but with a sex+violence touchstone) to compare it.

Shakugan no Shana 14

jJxTz.jpg

Do you want a sudden flashback arc? Well, you are getting a flashback arc!

At least the battle maid isn't that bad of a character. I just don't expect anything but drama for the rest of this flashback.

Steroyd

but DTL totally doesnt have opinions of the masses...

Well he liked SAO, loves Sasuske who ranks top in the character polls for Naruto, loves Keyshit, and he's our only link to the Fujioshi market (Where the abandonned Kuroko no Basket doujin section was huge).

cajunator

Banned
Well he liked SAO, loves Sasuske who ranks top in the character polls for Naruto, loves Keyshit, and he's our only link to the Fujioshi market (Where the abandonned Kuroko no Basket doujin section was huge).

hmm. but his reasons for liking some things are decidedly unconventional.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica Episode 9
845130_o.gif

No punches pulled at all. This little Kyubey gives no fucks... or maybe it just has no fucks to give. I can't see this anime ending happily unless the heroine truly is on some TTGL levels of power.
Ah, but do you want to play Bakemonogatari prices?
Maybe a year from now if I'm in a better spot financially. It'd be a lot easier to consider if these collections came with the music as well. Anything over a hundred for something that isn't 26 episodes long seems like overkill, but I bet the Japanese audiences would sacrifice their imoutos for American prices.

cajunator

Banned
For the same reason you don't negotiate with terrorists.

Are you saying anime licensors are terrorists? :(

845130_o.gif

No punches pulled at all. This little Kyubey gives no fucks... or maybe it just has no fucks to give. I can't see this anime ending happily unless the heroine truly is on some TTGL levels of power.

Maybe a year from now if I'm in a better spot financially. It'd be a lot easier to consider if these collections came with the music as well. Anything over a hundred for something that isn't 26 episodes long seems like overkill, but I bet the Japanese audiences would sacrifice their imoutos for American prices.

Madoka Magica doesn't fuck around. That's some serious shit!

Also, what about $330 + shipping for 13 episodes? (I paid this for Fate Zero)
Not that I think that price is anything but ludicrous. Bakemonagatari was a $150 set and thats much more of a manageable price. then there was their $75 per boxset three part version of Madoka. Aniplex pricing is all over the place.

845130_o.gif

Bwahahahhaha! I can't finish the anime for the same reason... I'm weak-sauce :(

Syrinx

Girls und Panzer 3

How rad would it be to look out your window in the morning and see a fucking tank just passing through your neighborhood? It may be significantly less rad, though, to wake up from its cannon. Though it certainly is effective.

Why would you paint a tank pink? Or gold? If your answer is "Because it's totes kawaii", you have failed tankery. Instantly. At least that's how it'd be if I was in charge. What's with this
dance they have to perform if they lose? Given how it's described I would almost think it's a dance of a sexual nature! Why I never!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
845130_o.gif

I love Madoka so much. To me it is a flawed masterpiece (and I see this as a good thing!), In the end, there are things to nitpick, and ways you can find disappointment... but you know what? There is no denying that it's an awesome and heartwarming series that goes there. Plus it gave us Homerun. Based SHAFT.

Btw, I can't remember if they did this in the series, but in the movie during the end
there were giant SHAFT logos on the missile launchers when they came out of the water.
SHAFT rubbing one off on themselves.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly, the only thing I didn't like about Madoka was the odd visual direction of the show. I mostly attribute this to SHAFT being... well.... SHAFT.

cajunator

Banned
Honestly, the only thing I didn't like about Madoka was the odd visual direction of the show. I mostly attribute this to SHAFT being... well.... SHAFT.

I feel like that was one of its greatest qualities. Shaft has a unique visual style. Some say its cutting corners, but they do it in a way that is very stylish and interesting. The blurays are quite gorgeous. The show is very colorful and exciting to look at.

kayos90

I feel like that was one of its greatest qualities. Shaft has a unique visual style. Some say its cutting corners, but they do it in a way that is very stylish and interesting. The blurays are quite gorgeous. The show is very colorful and exciting to look at.

I would definitely say that it's unique but whether that's good or not is up to the audience. For me, I don't like it.

You cant finish Madoka? Its a quite interesting ending.

I see what you did there.

Everything I love always seems to die on me in anime like this
. I think I only made it to episode 6 or 7 but can feel it coming! With my luck, that fucker will probably live and I don't think I could deal with that!

Yeah the visuals were one of the best parts of Godoka Magica especially how they gave it this interesting feeling that's difficult to put into words. Visuals were not the weakness of the anime.

kayos90

Perhaps I don't quite get what you mean by 'odd'. Could you elaborate?

The traditional look of the anime and the parts where they go bonkers with visuals with crazy colors and incongruent visual designs is what gets me. There's just a stark contrast to how the real world and its character looks like and the Witch's world. I get that that direction is what they're going for and to some effect it works but it just doesn't click for me. It's much too inconsistent and as a result I think of it as an odd visual direction.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Strange. That was the thing that made me watch it. I watched the first episode knowing nothing about it apart from people were watching it and saw the witch's realm and thought the show was pretty neat. To be fair I didn't even know who SHAFT was back then and what that meant. I just liked the look and chose to watch the rest of it.

Watching it in one go wasn't the best idea. My mind was full of Twiglets by the end of it.

cajunator

Banned
Everything I love always seems to die on me in anime like this
. I think I only made it to episode 6 or 7 but can feel it coming! With my luck, that fucker will probably live and I don't think I could deal with that!

Yeah I know what you mean :(
I've watched it several times now and every single time it gets to me a little bit.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica Episode 10

Homura is boss. Another
time traveler
that does it right. I always hated this sort of stuff until Disappearance of Haruhi did it right. I'm glad to see it being used well within the dark theme of Magica. It seems so futile regardless of how much Homura improves as a magical girl.

This could be in my top ten very easily if it has a great ending.
Not that I think that price is anything but ludicrous. Bakemonagatari was a $150 set and thats much more of a manageable price. then there was their $75 per boxset three part version of Madoka. Aniplex pricing is all over the place.
Mother of God

I'd only consider buying at those prices for some unreal collections that you'd never see in anime in the first place(ie:complete Tenchi media collection, COMPLETE -monogatari, complete DBZ collection) in Blu-ray. No video media is worth those kinds of prices to me unless I'm getting dozens upon dozens of episodes(or thousands of minutes) at 1080p. Clearly I don't get the anime industry lol.
I love Madoka so much. To me it is a flawed masterpiece (and I see this as a good thing!), In the end, there are things to nitpick, and ways you can find disappointment... but you know what? There is no denying that it's an awesome and heartwarming series that goes there. Plus it gave us Homerun. Based SHAFT.

Btw, I can't remember if they did this in the series, but in the movie during the end
there were giant SHAFT logos on the missile launchers when they came out of the water.
SHAFT rubbing one off on themselves.
Akemi Homura is the heroine anime needs, not the one it deserves.

holy shit

Novid

Banned
Are you saying anime licensors are terrorists? :(

Madoka Magica doesn't fuck around. That's some serious shit!

They got the pay them animatiors that wage son. But the same company worked 4 Years for a movie with a fucking brick for a LE product. The thing is HUGE. its a 150 fucking pounds. cost is 100. Also the company isnt sure of any sort of spirtual successors or sequals.

cajunator

Banned
I will never watch Madoka because the characters are deformed loli only crap.

Fuck that noise.

Its one of the best series to come out in a long time.
You're seriously missing out on a great show just with this kind of silly closed minded thinking. The style is from Ume Aoki and she is known for a particular character design style that lends itself well to the series. yes its cute, but if you think this series is just another fluffy magical girl tale, then you are absolutely wrong in every sense of the word. Its one thing to dismiss the show based on appearances only, but keep your childish and ignorant nonsense out of the thread.

cajunator

Banned
They got the pay them animatiors that wage son. But the same company worked 4 Years for a movie with a fucking brick for a LE product. The thing is HUGE. its a 150 fucking pounds. cost is 100. Also the company isnt sure of any sort of spirtual successors or sequals.

What LE product are you referring to?

Novid

Banned
brothas that hatin on madoka should be sending them cards back now. Madoka rip the shreds out of the "moe" asthteic and sent it to the fucking trash heap.

MCD

Its one of the best series to come out in a long time.
You're seriously missing out on a great show just with this kind of silly closed minded thinking. The style is from Ume Aoki and she is known for a particular character design style that lends itself well to the series. yes its cute, but if you think this series is just another fluffy magical girl tale, then you are absolutely wrong in every sense of the word. Its one thing to dismiss the show based on appearances only, but keep your childish and ignorant nonsense out of the thread.

Character art is important to me. I don't fancy watching or reading if the art is not to my liking.

I get it, show is deep with twists and shit but if I don't like the art then I can't watch it. Nothing childish about that.

You guys sure get mad easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom