• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
She's tightening her swimsuit? I don't know. Do you mind just telling me. I seriously don't get it.
Almost there, you can do it!

punpun44.png

Azure J

Nekomonogatari - Complete

All the aspects that made me enjoy watching Bakemonogatari and reading Kizumonogatari with a really cool sense of style. Not to shabby there Shaft/NisiOisiN.

Also, best girl doing work as always. Thank you based Shinobu.

Narag

If anything would summon him, it would be that!

Alternatively, one could watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and post about it! One day he'll be like Emmunoz and we won't be able to summon him any longer, our supply of 80s OVAs long since exhausted.

Maoyuu maou yuusha 1

this show... makes me wanna get back to LOGH lol. Some of the cg is silly, but show looks fine.

Also, flabby.

That hero pillow moment was the best part.

cajunator

Banned
Same here ...i'm kinda worried about NISA , since they haven't annonced Natsume book of friends part 2 yet ...

And still no info on "the daily lives of high school boys" ...

they better show us /annonce something soon !!

This first episode wasn't that bad...but man does this 2 characters have work to do !

I hope NISA survives, because they have had some fantastic releases. They had a rough start though.

Isn't she wearing a corset?

This is the first time I've ever noticed Yui actually has breasts. I somehow ignored them even in the beach episodes.

as if a Corset could keep those galloping horsies in the stable.

Is that the ep where Sawa plays the guitar? Favorite episode.

Every episode where Sawa is in it is my favorite episode XD

Japanese audio commentary alert for ultimate weeaboos:

So, another package of animu came in and I decided to briefly check out some of the features that I was looking forward to.

So Arakawa and Arakawa 2 both have audio commentaries on over half of the episodes on each set... so it's clear that NISA can do these if they want to. So I figure that it's a problem with whoever owns these properties more than any translation or licensing costs. Omigawa makes an appearance in the season 2 commentaries, but strangely, she doesn't have her bleeding ear voice. It seems like she just has a generic high pitched Japanese seiyuu voice like everyone else, so the weird squeaky-scratchy thing is an affectation. Go figure. The commentaries also include one of the producers and the mangaka, so I assume there's a bit more in depth talk about the production of the anime than you would get with a pure seiyuu commentary.

I was half scammed into buying Maria Holic/Maria Holic Alive (Sentai releases) by SDBurton who pointed out that they were on sale and as promised by the interwebs, there are audio commentaries on every single episode of Maria Holic Alive. Episode 2 has the insane combination of Kobayashi + Sugita... it's too bad they couldn't be doing a commentary of one of the various episodes where Sa-chan stalks Gintoki instead. :p
Of course, as I started listening to the commentary, I also realized that I was also watching Maria Holic Alive and that even having Kobayashi and Sugita talking about the episode wasn't enough to get me to actually watch it again. At least it was on sale. lol

This just gets me thinking though... the licensors really need to work harder on getting features and supplemental materials to make their releases more attractive to would be pirates. I've seen commentaries get subbed in releases of "real" films, so I'm glad that this is beginning to be a trend in anime - it's a pretty great value add for someone like me anyhow. At least it's more interesting than the standard Funimation release, which is usually just a dub with a commentary by the dub actors... two things that I have no interest in listening to at all.

Extras seem to depend on cost of a license, the companies connections in the industry, and the popularity of the property in question. Some licenses have more extras probably because it was dirt cheap to procure them, or if you have the deep pockets of Aniplex maybe its affordable anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nekomonogatari Complete:
Writing is vague, contradictory and confusing for no goddamn reason.

Senjouga-who? Black Hanekawa 4 lyfe. Dat dead inside moe.

Need to edit my top 10.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Interesting little factoid from Funimation's panel at Anime Los Angeles earlier this evening -- apparently, Kamisama Kiss is their "most popular streaming title ever". No idea what metrics they used to determine that, but that's what they said.

My entirely anecdotal experience confirms this.

Azure J

Haly, best girl is Shinobu easily, wait for Kizu. :p

Maou Yuusha

And here I thought this was the adaptation of the funnier/lighter hearted version of the series. Seeing everyone with grown folk proportions (one moreso than the rest...) was jarring until I remembered that there are a couple dozen interpretations of the same material. I like the visuals, but some of those NPC looking CG background characters had me wondering for a few seconds.

Useless Meat got a fun sounding VA. Virgin Hero sounds like a grown ass man though. :lol

cajunator

Banned
Cuticle Detective Inaba 01

401CJ.gif

Goats are useful.

This was an amazing first episode. Completely silly comedy, silly gags, just the sane wackiness of it all. I feel like I was trying my best just not to break out in laughter throughout the episode.

I haven't watched the anime of it yet, but this feels similar in comedy to Azael-san from what I read of the manga. Just less dark humor but much more fun.

The perfect tsundere ratio.

Theres a ratio for this stuff? Oh wait, nevermind. OF COURSE there is a ratio scale of tsun to dere.

What show?

You are sooooo adorable! *glomps Kayos

Yeah, if I could understand Japanese, for something like AnoNatsu which has no hope of getting a BD release here, I'd do that too.

I really don't know who was crazy enough to watch Maria Holic Alive unironically (I bet SDBurton secretly hates it too), but to also watch it again with commentaries... wow. lol

Not that I'd ever pick up Penguindrum, but I'm surprised at how barebones the set seems to be... there really is no rhyme or reason when it comes to which releases get special features.

I'm curious: Hidasketch > Nichijou? lol

I know that feel. The only way to ensure swag is to go with the Japanese releases. Most of them arent subbed and the ones that are would look strange with my other stuff. I'm weird like that.

I like this. Sakurasou is good.

I don't get this gif as a response to what I said...

Yo I heard you like to ask questions, so I put some :kayos in your :kayos so you can be confused while you're confused.

duckroll

From the New World - Episode 14

That was a pretty heavy episode. Lots of intense back and forth stuff between characters, and revelations about stuff which were only hinted at and suggested previously. Lots of cards are on the table now, and it only serves to make the premise of the show more disturbing. Which is largely a good thing, because the show is best when it's disturbing. I have a good (bad?) feeling that it's about to get a whole lot more disturbing really shortly.

Another interesting thing about this episode is that it was storyboarded by our "favorite" staff member on this show - Mr Yamauchi, but yet he didn't direct it this time, and Hayama is not the animation director. This means the episode looks pretty normal, and doesn't have any weird visual style attached to it. The storyboarding seemed pretty good too, so maybe they should have just done this to begin with. Yamauchi's personal visual style only seemed to divide people who were interested in the show anyway.

sonicmj1

I heard "Downtown" on the radio today (not Soredemo's cover of it, though). Made an otherwise rough day a little better.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 1

Boobs.

It was okay. This was a pretty exposition-heavy episode, but I liked how the relationship developed between the Hero and the Demon King. I hope in the future, it gives a little more focus to the characters, or at least integrates the economics more tightly to current events than this episode's lectures and jump cuts.

There are times where smart art direction makes the most of the show's meager budget, but there are some awful looking CG background characters. Ah well.

cajunator

Banned
I heard "Downtown" on the radio today (not Soredemo's cover of it, though). Made an otherwise rough day a little better.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 1

Boobs.

It was okay. This was a pretty exposition-heavy episode, but I liked how the relationship developed between the Hero and the Demon King. I hope in the future, it gives a little more focus to the characters, or at least integrates the economics more tightly to current events than this episode's lectures and jump cuts.

There are times where smart art direction makes the most of the show's meager budget, but there are some awful looking CG background characters. Ah well.

Now that song is stuck in my head!
Where'd you hear it?

sonicmj1

Now that song is stuck in my head!
Where'd you hear it?

A radio program in Japan that's probably syndicated around the country. Didn't catch what it was called.

For reference, it wasn't the Soredemo Maaya Sakamoto cover, but the original version by Sugar Babe. I've heard it before in other places, which means it's a mildly popular oldie.

cajunator

Banned
A radio program in Japan that's probably syndicated around the country. Didn't catch what it was called.

For reference, it wasn't the Soredemo Maaya Sakamoto cover, but the original version by Sugar Babe. I've heard it before in other places, which means it's mildly popular.

Oh thats a nice version. More disco-style almost or perhaps even slightly older than that. proto-disco.

Dresden

joshiraku - 12

Another great episode. Keeps hitting it out of the park as it nears the end. When even the travelogue stuff nails it you know you're doing good.

I'm going to miss this show.

xEmd0l.jpg

Jex

[Maoyuu Mao Yuusha]

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, or to repeat what others have already said but some of the CG here looks astoundingly bad. While studios like Ufotable can just about pull that stuff off here it looks as bad or worse than Girls und Panzer episode one.

Also, this is certainly no Spice and Wolf, largely because the dialogue, is, er, extremely clunky.

Dresden

At least Spice & Wolf had a more natural pretext for the economic shenanigans. Here it's just clunky, miraculously successful exhibitions of basic concepts, one after another.

Jex

At least Spice & Wolf had a more natural pretext for the economic shenanigans. Here it's just clunky, miraculously successful exhibitions of basic concepts, one after another.

Well, beyond all the expository discussion of economic principles there's the equally problematic lack of a naturalistic, believable character dynamic between the two leads which was basically the whole selling point of Spice and Wolf. The set up for the characters here is extremely lazy.

cajunator

Banned
Well, beyond all the expository discussion of economic principles there's the equally problematic lack of a naturalistic, believable character dynamic between the two leads which was basically the whole selling point of Spice and Wolf. The set up for the characters here is extremely lazy.

As long as it delivers the economics. Thats what I watched Spice and Wolf for.
Those lovely economics.

Dresden

It's okay because she has boobs.

cajunator

Banned
Her economics do seem to weigh heavily on her.
There can be different amounts of economics, depending on your tastes of course. I like a smaller amount of economics. Too much and the theory just falls over.

Jex

That's a pretty weird shot. The Hero looks like he's actually standing higher up than the three other people who seem to be on the same plane of depth as him, he looks very out of proportion.
The composition in general is pretty bad. Has anyone gifffed that spinning camera shot that circles around the Rei clones? It actually made me feel queasy.

Jintor

There can be different amounts of economics, depending on your tastes of course. I like a smaller amount of economics. Too much and the theory just falls over.

As long as it doesn't lead to a depression, a market crash, or some kind of global TITS TITS TITS TITS HUGE HONKING BAZONGAS sorry I got distracted what were we talking about

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'd like to currency peg her central bank right off the fiscal cliff if you know what I mean.

cajunator

Banned
As long as it doesn't lead to a depression, a market crash, or some kind of global TITS TITS TITS TITS HUGE HONKING BAZONGAS sorry I got distracted what were we talking about

I think its breast to just stick to economics.
No need to balloon this discussion further.

Milamber

The first episode seems really titillating. Will have to see for myself.
As long as it delivers the economics. Thats what I watched Spice and Wolf for.
Those lovely economics.
I'd like to currency peg her central bank right off the fiscal cliff if you know what I mean.
I think its breast to just stick to economics.
No need to balloon this discussion further.
You haven't forecast for inflation.
Inflation is generally predictable in stable economies. Rapidly developing young economies may experience sudden periods of expansion but level off in size as they reach maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom