• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Does the show actually look that bad? Reminding me of this nonsense:
iWfVhaTPsP1nk.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Watched the first episode of Hyouka because of all the recommendation in the AOTY thread.
I shan't judge a series by its first episode but it seemed a bit off, just a generic slice-of-life with great production values.

I don't know about you guys, but I've quite had it with the setting of highschool (especially when they romanticize and dramatize it so). Children are stupid and annoying and their problems will always look trivial.
Why must 50% of anime revolve around school?
Lololol You really should have asked what it was before.

My list only has like two or three shows with high school people therefore my list is superior.

Dresden

joshiraku - 13

mOLV0l.jpg

Alas, we will never see her in full CG glory.

Her CV is Shintani Ryouko. It’s funny that they actually got her to do it, because her name was there in the manga too. She did Hito Nami in SZS (considered an annoying character), Anna in Hen Zemi and Penny in the Japanese dub of The Big Bang Theory, among others.

I am even more annoyed now.

---

Put off at first by the wall of puns and Japanisms, the series really grew on me. Was oddly fitting that the last of the travelogue skits would end up in Akihabara. Kumeta's ability to weave through seemingly random associations for some genuine payoff is good stuff. Missing it already.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
JoJo 13

This episode was surprisingly uncensored, presumably because otherwise it would've been a black screen with audio for 20 minutes.
Stroheim nooooooooooooo :(

So hyped for Caesar next episode! And spaghetti battles!

Milamber

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 01

*ahem*

At first I couldn't get into the character designs since I was so used to a certain specific one but it is a minor gripe.

This episode started like all the other versions of it so it is obvious that it will be slow. I can't give it the 3 episode rule on this, maybe at least 6~8.

What the hell, Hero, you sound like an old man.

Anyway onto the "meat" of my review...

GK7Tl.gif
yMszL.gif

*8 useless gifs removed*

wonzo

Banned
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 1

mmy1.jpg

While I enjoyed this episode, the one thing I simply couldn't ignore was just how fucking awful the CG was at times. Most notable being the terrible CG crowds (well, that blur really helps at times!) and that CG panning shot of the three Female Magicians which was almost Kingdom levels of bad (fortunately the other ones were nowhere near as ostentatious). Still, I'm diggin' the voice-work and the music plus I'm looking forward to the Head Maid and the Sisters being introduced next episode so I guess I'll stick with this for a while.

also nice ED and DAT USELESS MEAT

cajunator

Banned
I got a shipping confirmation on Bodacious Space Pirates finally, along with BLoodC and Denpa Onna. Life is good.

K-On! 06

Its rainy season! (what is this, Louisiana?)
Ui wakes up Yui, and they walk to school in the rain.
Yui is very careful not to allow Geeta to get wet (even though its safe inside a case) but manages to fail in Yui-esque fashion and ends up flat on her butt soaking wet in the rain.
She gets to school and has to dry off. Her clothes being soaked, she has to wear a maid outfit until her clothes dry. I AM COMPLETELY OK WITH THIS. But then Nodoka comes in with an extra change of clothes and then ruins the moment. Thats why you're low on my tier list, Nodoka. Anyway, the girls help her iron out her clothing and they go home before it rains again.
Then Yui and her sister sing the cutest rain song in the world.
It rains again the next day, and Yui has a very ridiculous way of waterproofing her Geeta, so she reluctantly decides to leave it alongside Mio's Bass in the music room overnight. Naturally she cant sleep because she misses it.
The next day they retrieve their instruments.
The other girls catch Mio in the act of talking her Bass, Elizabass.
D'awwww.
This show is so hnnnnnngh.

Defuser

Boobs, one of every male's favourite topic to discuss.

"Here is Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, a story of macroeconomics involving a hero and Demon Kin-OMG BOOBIES! hummana! hummana!hummana! UNF! UNF! UNF!"

Kazzy

K-On! 06
She gets to school and has to dry off. Her clothes being soaked, she has to wear a maid outfit until her clothes dry. I AM COMPLETELY OK WITH THIS. But then Nodoka comes in with an extra change of clothes and then ruins the moment. Thats why you're low on my tier list, Nodoka.

It's the earnestness in her voice during that scene which sells it, always gets a reaction!

Yui is just full of those kind of moments in the second season too.
"I'm a tree"

Narag

Crying Freeman 2

Totally forgot how fucked up this is. In the first half, Freeman is named leader of the 108 Dragons and an attempt is made on his life as a game of one upsmanship begins between a traitor in the ranks. It doesn't really serve a purpose, I guess, other than setting up the second half in a bizarre manner and cementing Freeman as the leader of the 108 Dragons.

I'm entirely unsure if it's due to compressing manga or what but everything happened so fast and the revelation of who betrayed Freeman and why was fuckin' comical. Then the mob shows up because they were there all along or something. At best, I can consider this a sort of necessary evil to set up the larger world but I wish it'd ben handled better.

zpzeFl.png
lGq3Pl.png
RnJvjl.png

That hug scene was drawn the hell out.
5Vh2ql.png

There's a Terminator nod of all things when describing Hollywood-level SFX.

8HBIal.png
hW2sul.png
1UXxSl.png

Then there's Bayasan. Pretty sure she's reduced to comedic effect from here on out.

She did get her moment here anyhow:
isctub1jzfpp2.gif

Second half was better, I thought. Less internal politicking and more murder/revenge stuff as a killer puts her eye directly on Freeman due to events in the first half. That's more what I enjoy from Crying Freeman: the crazy action and insane hits. It definitely seemed more focused aside from the weird fanservicey stuff at the beginning.

Koh's death was fucking rough. I have no idea how he was talking after getting shot through the head and falling into the ocean though. I'm kinda torn on the Kiche identity trick too. She's introduced as a black woman but it's apparently a long term disguise. She washes the coloration off and has free run of Hong Kong as the 108 Dragons never realized she was white.

XwmCkl.png

The antagonist in the second half apparently uses a Calico .223. What better way to make it stand out than... adding a kawaii cat sticker to it.

Kkpltl.png
14GIrl.png

Can no one brandish a god damn knife without licking it?

There's also something amusing at the notion of how every female character in this OVA is destined to be nude at some point.
Even the old lady and the fat girl!
For real, I can only recall a handful of non-incidental female characters in this ep and, without fail, they all end up naked, usually multiple times.

Kurita

Rich Man, Poor Woman 3
Drunk Sawaki is best Sawaki.
Also... WHY DID YOU TELL HIM THE TRUTH GOD DAMN IT
I wonder what Hyuga's friend will do now... Maybe he'll join that guy who left the company.

Thoraxes

Her CV is Shintani Ryouko. It’s funny that they actually got her to do it, because her name was there in the manga too. She did Hito Nami in SZS (considered an annoying character)
Woah, woah.

No.

Go_Ly_Dow

Without the bad CG, Mayouu would have no soul. Sometimes it is just needed.

Rich Man, Poor Woman 3
Drunk Sawaki is best Sawaki.
Also... WHY DID YOU TELL HIM THE TRUTH GOD DAMN IT
I wonder what Hyuga's friend will do now... Maybe he'll join that guy who left the company.

dyFYA.gif

You have much to look forward to!

As for me I shall watch the finale tonight!

He look more boring than Kirito. Thats quite an accomplishment.

You can not even begin to understand why he is so useless. it was designed that way on purpose.If anyone ask i'll write a post to explain why he deserve that title.. because over the course of 12 episodes the amount of evidence is overwhelming !

sonicmj1

Well, beyond all the expository discussion of economic principles there's the equally problematic lack of a naturalistic, believable character dynamic between the two leads which was basically the whole selling point of Spice and Wolf. The set up for the characters here is extremely lazy.

It certainly has its share of weaknesses. If it stays at this level of quality for the next few episodes, I'll probably bail. The level to which the Demon King dedicated to Hero from the moment of their meeting definitely doesn't quite feel earned.

But given how much of the episode is spent on establishing things, I think there's potential for it to improve in the coming weeks.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Watched Hyouka episode 2, I can't say I find it interesting yet.. but I figure it'll become more interesting henceforth? I'll try a couple more episodes.
It's a shame the characters aren't more realistic, though.

Incidentally, the episode ended with a piece of music I found immensely familiar but couldn't put my finger on where I've previously heard it. Anyone care to help?

Fake edit: It's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KweXColOsgQ
Must have heard it in Civ5.

Novid

Banned
You can not even begin to understand why he is so useless. it was designed that way on purpose.If anyone ask i'll write a post to explain why he deserve that title.. because over the course of 12 episodes the amount of evidence is overwhelming !

hes a dude that you project fantaies towards not the dude that is a archtype of the fantasy.

cajunator

Banned
hes a dude that you project fantaies towards not the dude that is a archtype of the fantasy.

To be honest I don't personally project fantasies through a character, so I prefer characters that are well defined. The ones who are like blank slates are boring and trite.

Novid

Banned
To be honest I don't personally project fantasies through a character, so I prefer characters that are well defined. The ones who are like blank slates are boring and trite.

true. but dont say that to those otaku or those that like big bang theory.

So. I'm currently putting my sister through the School Days experience because I am a good and loving brother. The problem is that I watched it censored, she's watching it uncensored, and she expressed distaste for
the underage cartoon sex in episode 4
. Are the two versions mostly the same, or is the uncensored version considerably more explicit? I want to know if I should swap them out before permanent damage is done.

Sorry for the dumb question, but you're my experts on this topic.

not really ..you can't project anything toward him .. I don't but even if i did , to project yourself into a character action he has to do something ..but hereit's impossible.i cannot project myself into a role/character as dumb and useless as him.

Man i'd love to sleep late and to be late for school and to forget my lunch box at home.
because yes that's 3 of the main achievement of the guy .( out of 5 )

cajunator

Banned
So. I'm currently putting my sister through the School Days experience because I am a good and loving brother. The problem is that I watched it censored, she's watching it uncensored, and she expressed distaste for
. Are the two versions mostly the same, or is the uncensored version considerably more explicit? I want to know if I should swap them out before permanent damage is done.

Theres nothing explicit in School Days in that regard. Its mainly
just blood everywhere

remz

I remember it not being graphically shown, but definitely remember it being on screen. Your sister is probably grossed out by the implication

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Watched Hyouka episode 2, I can't say I find it interesting yet.. but I figure it'll become more interesting henceforth? I'll try a couple more episodes.
It's a shame the characters aren't more realistic, though.
Most people here say it takes twelve episodes to get going.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon 29

Both Usagi and Makoto have the hots for Motoki. At least Makoto can cook and clean though. thats why she's a much better waifu than you, Usagi.
They don't realize he's already with Reika. Too bad your love quadrangle just fell apart before it started girls. Meanwhile, those pesky henchmen named after minerals muddle up things as usual by turning Reika into a youma. The youma gets the jump on Sailor moon as usual and Makoto bails her lame ass out because she is awesome like that. Except this youma has a little trick that captures her attack in a bottle and returns it. Man I want one of those bottles.
Then tuxedo Kamen comes in with his absurdly effective rose and the episode resolves itself.
Reika goes off with Motoki and the senshi cry moar. The end.
Of note, this series despite its age looks fantastic on my TV. Why aren't there SM blurays? what kind of fucked up world is this?

Welp, im in.
Not really ..he has several good achivements on his list , including being good at kill balad , raising aki spirits and acting like an angel to let her continue on her path , reaching the finale of the robot tournament and so on...this guy while being a jerk ( when we know it's a facade ) actually does something ( including finding clues for everyone to get what happenned ) ..

-----------
Initial D fifth stage 5

Man such a good initial D goodness ..the tension and the music was at their peak and the overall package was really sweet .. i'd take races like that Every day if i could.

Initial%20D%20Fifth%20Stage%20-%2003.jpg

Man all those years and i never realised you could get that effect with this method

The description of the race ...the how and why to explain and raise up everyone tension .. that's initial D alright ...

9/10 episode if only for "that" moment.

For some reason there was an ad of a girl taking a bath in the middle of the race ... no idea how it got there ....

Defuser

My sister is a osaka momma! ep 2

Why is this show making people from Osaka looks like another race with their culture. I didn't know there's so many cultural differences.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I erm... uh...

I find this quite adorable. ^^;

[Maoyuu Mao Yuusha]

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, or to repeat what others have already said but some of the CG here looks astoundingly bad. While studios like Ufotable can just about pull that stuff off here it looks as bad or worse than Girls und Panzer episode one.

Also, this is certainly no Spice and Wolf, largely because the dialogue, is, er, extremely clunky.

I dunno, seemed rather free flowing and bounced right along...

... oh the DIALOGUE. Yes, I agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom