• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The Idolm@ster Episode 8

This episode definitely lived up to the hype. I can say with absolute certainty that this was the best episode since episode 4. The best yet, even. Once again, Azusa is the ostensible focal point for the episode, but serves more as a catalyst for everything else. Hence the episode's title (Detour to Happiness), I suppose. Azusa leaves misunderstandings, happiness, and fortune to everything left in her wake and the direction of the episode more or less follows that wake. It's cute, it's fluffy, and it leads to some absolutely fantastic moments. Of particular mention is the amazing
fight scene involving Makoto and the agents. I said god damn. I'm pretty sure that was better animated and directed than action scenes in actual action anime.
The resolution to the episode was really fantastic too, and it really put Azusa up there for me.

As for the characters, I really can't overstate how much better this show is when it cuts the fat in terms of characters, it does a much better job when it's not trying to balance the demands of an ensemble cast. Every character featured had a chance to shine, I think, especially Makoto, who is a boss. Seriously, she had so many awesome moments chasing after Azusa this episode, it's insane. And Miki, who I haven't quite figured out yet, but she still seems quite likable, and almost as photogenic as Azusa clearly is.

The insert songs this episode were also alright, very far from spectacular, but definitely not nearly as bad as some of the others.

This 'inverse twin to quality' rule is still holding true.

tl;dr

S Rank
Chihaya
Makoto

A+ Rank
Azusa

A Rank
Haruka
Miki

B Rank
Hibiki
Takane
Iori

D Rank
Yayoi

F Rank
Ami and Mami
Yukiho

I stand by this. Except for Iori.

They all want to bang him. By
pretending that they all have a chance, what else could he be doing?

So having friends of the opposite gender instantly means they have a chance of sexing? Doesn't seem like stringing them along to me, seems like them massively misinterpreting his actions.

Jex

Star Driver 9-12

Almost bailed at 8 but it's starting to grow on me a bit. Going to take a break and watch Redline.

I know other people have already voiced their concerns regarding Star Driver but, in general, I don't think the series as a whole is worth your time. It only has a handful of good episodes across it's 25 episode run. I really would not recommend it to anyone.

If you like the action sequences, watch the last episode and look up other fights on Youtube,

Instro

Sasami 3

Some really great animation here, very gif-able. Or just pull the good stuff from youtube when its uploaded I guess. As I mentioned in the irc, I was pretty surprised at the quality of the backgrounds during certain parts of the episode. Pretty unusual for a Shaft anime.

I can't say I particularly care for anything that is happening in the show, but I have enjoyed the action sequences we've gotten week to week so I don't really mind sticking with it. Some of the humor is relatively amusing, so it's been keeping me entertained at least.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Majora's Mask was the last great Zelda game. I just cannot forgive him for what came afterwards.

To give Japanese studios their namesake so that they can make anime about going to the moon.

I love MM and it's my favorite 3D one but I didn't think the following ones were THAT bad. They were good.

Jex

I think I dropped everything other than Tamako Market this season.

I knew I was in good company.

isS9HMUcc2Zx3.jpgp
Ah, Spring Season. As I glanced at this anime chart I noticed that I had already decided which shows were interesting purely based on their promotional art without bothering to read the text. As I was literally judging a book by it's cover I decided to go back and read the descriptions for each show.

This changed nothing. Everything that I thought had a worrying picture also sounded awful from the description. The only things I will be checking out are:

Attack on Titan
Azazel-San Season Two
Asian Risshiden no Shima Kousaku
Aku no Hana

Before the trailers for Gargantia aired I was kind of excited about it but now I am going to sit back and wait for some impressions from the rest of you. It looks kind of like it's going to be a fairly generic anime despite all the interesting world design. So Spring will be a considerable step up over Winter, at the very least.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Everything that I thought had a worrying picture also sounded awful from the description. The only things I will be checking out are:

Attack on Titan
Azazel-San Season Two
Asian Risshiden no Shima Kousaku
Aku no Hana
;_; You don't wanna watch Little Witch Academia? You are gonna break Yoh Yoshinari's heart.

Jex

Holy crap there's gonna be a second season of Samurai Girls?!

I couldn't give two shits about the show but if there's even a slight possibility of some more mAcxABF wall of text arguments out of this then consider me fuckin' HYPED.

It's what I live for.

Jex

I am watching ten shows. And that's counting after Smile Precure ends this weekend. ;_;

That sounds like a personal problem. You appear to love too much, or alternatively you might be one of those people who can't drop things when they start them.

Jex

So far Tamako Market is the only show I've dropped this season.

Maoyuu is great.
Minami-ke has been enjoyable.
Haganai is awesome. So much better than the first season.

All in all really enjoying this season so far even though this might be the worst KyoAni show I've ever watched.

Next stop - Vividred Operation

At least no-one can claim that we're all part of some hivemind in this thread.

Jex

y'all should start watching polar bear cafe in this offseason. and no, i ain't gonna stop pimping it until everyone itt starts watching it.
You sound like someone from the Dynamite in the Brain podcast, Brian is always pimping that show. One day I might try and pick it up.

That sounds like a personal problem. You appear to love too much, or alternatively you might be one of those people who can't drop things when they start them.

As someone watching 14 airing shows at the moment, I'm afraid I also have this problem. Though I can easily drop shows I obviously don't like.

Lain

From The New World 17

Nice episode overall, though the time-skip without explanations rubs me a bit the wrong way.

While the episode was wholly good, what I appreciated the most, thinking back, has to be the closing scene because of how it was directed.

Jex

Tsuritama 12

Amazing end to an amazing, beautiful series that's better than, well, about everything else.

It took you too long, Narag. Then again, I feel like despite all the critical praise the series got it was still somehow overlooked, possibly because it's dedicated thread became a ghost town.

wonzo

Banned
Space Bros 42

spacebros42.jpg

I'll give the show props if they actually go ahead and
kill off Hibito.
They may as well make the most out of the walking plot device.

You sound like someone from the Dynamite in the Brain podcast, Brian is always pimping that show. One day I might try and pick it up.
Sounds like a man with good taste and yes, it would be a pretty good idea to pick up such a fine series!

But...her hand. It looks awful.
I'll take the uggo hand over this:

arriettyposter.jpg

Jex

Yay. Always glad to see someone watch something to the end. Steins;Gate really shows it's visual novel roots by how it manages the multi-world approach so well.

Unfortunately the series shows it's visual novel roots in less favourable ways, noticeably in some of the pacing early in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom