• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
That is actually cheaper than I thought. Some of those J-Rock Albums go for some crazy prices. Speaking of Anime OST, the one I really want to get is Allison and Lillia one. I remember that OST being fantastic, but I haven't got the chance to get it.

But yeah, Chihayafuru have a great music.

Actually....I recall loving that one too. Allison and Lillia was a good show. I bought it blind because it looked kind of like Last Exile lol.

Goddamnit I just bought both Chihayafuru soundtracks and both Allison and Lillia soundtracks. you guys are bad influence :(

Quasar

Really? Not the main suddenly changes from a lone wolf in the first EP, to having a party in the second EP to not having a party again to having one. Also, from when he becomes a caring character to an immature character and then to a good one again? An all of it happening without any interlude nor build up.

Well I thought they made it quite clear that a substantial amount of time passed between episodes. So what amounted to vinettes showing the important things that happened to Kiritio before the start of his time with Asuna worked ok for me.

Though I guess they could of included more in between episodes and made the first season completely about he first light novel story.

fertygo

OreShura 04

ofMTZOT.jpg

anYmV52.jpg
These Jojo's joke and posing continue to be the only reason to watch this show (yeah, they do it regularly)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
y'all should start watching polar bear cafe in this offseason. and no, i ain't gonna stop pimping it until everyone itt starts watching it.
Maybe you should start a list...

Anteater > Grizzly > Penguin > Llama > Polar Bear > Sloth > Turtle > Panda
Panda at the bottom? I like the way you think.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/poopyhillposter.jpg

The US poster for Poppy Hill is easily a step up from the woeful Arrietty one.
So I was curious to know what the UK release was.
However, there is no confirmed U.K. release date for the film. Asked whether there would be a UK cinema release, a StudioCanal rep said, "We do plan on giving the film a UK cinema release, but have no further details at present.'
Source

What a shit.

faridmon

Source

What a shit.

I think it will still come around here with fairly wide distribution. StudioCanal is trying to make a big dent in UK market and have distributed (and even invested) in a lot of movies in the country.

cajunator

Banned
I continue to watch just for her. The things like those references are completely wasted on me as I don't even really know what jojo is let alone what the references are about.

You don't knoww what JoJo is? Its a currently airing show that is pretty fucking amazing. thats what jojo is.

Quasar

I think it will still come around here with fairly wide distribution. StudioCanal is trying to make a big dent in UK market and have distributed (and even invested) in a lot of movies in the country.

I have to say I was pretty bummed about how limited the Australian release got (ie not anywhere near enough for me). So I'm stuck waiting on the bluray.

And if this gets terrible distribution, theres no way I'll get to see the Hanasaku Iroha movie in cinemas.

Grzi

I think you need to go revisit what sakuga is.

All of the shows he listed (except for Guilty Crown) have great sakuga sequences, so his opinion really isn't wrong.
Him questioning Bebop being there does worry me a bit, but it's DTL, you have to forgive him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I seem to remember people loving the shit out of it around here. Am I wrong?

AnimeGAF move too fast for me :(
Well, it's a piece of shit at the very least.

I recall firehawk (or possibly dresden as firehawk) equate Reki Kawahara to Pol Pot.
I think Kawahara is either a despicable human being - equal to the cigarette industry selling sticks of poison to the people knowing full well it causes cancer - or so immeasurably dense that he doesn't realize the destructive power of his fiction and believes he's just writing harmless fun.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if I used the words atrocity toward humanity at some point. :p

Shergal

So, once again Biglobe had a poll, and only 4300 people showed up. Probably because it wasn't about waifus or seiyuu or anything like that, but in fact a topic much closer to all of your hearts. The question this time was:

What anime series do you feel has the best sakuga?

The top ten from the limited results, such as they were:
So, what would be on your list?

Does UC deserve to be #1, or is this the same case as GC being in the list?
Anyway, they're including movies but leaving out Akira and EoE, I don't understand.

Narag

I think Kawahara is either a despicable human being - equal to the cigarette industry selling sticks of poison to the people knowing full well it causes cancer - or so immeasurably dense that he doesn't realize the destructive power of his fiction and believes he's just writing harmless fun.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if I used the words atrocity toward humanity at some point. :p

Other phrases you might have used:
unethical activity
war crime
cultural holocaust

BluWacky

Is Space Brother gonna come to EU land anyhow? Is the managa localised?

The anime's streaming legally in France, and the Crunchyroll streams are available for many European countries (including the UK, Spain and France again), but as far as I'm aware the manga hasn't actually been licensed anywhere except Taiwan.

Unlike DTL, I don't think the existence of a Crunchyroll stream means it'll get a wider release in Europe, if that's what you mean. I think we have more chance of seeing the live action film get a release through one of the smaller disc labels, especially as it basically covers the same story as the anime in about an eighth of the time.

Jex

Yeah, I laughed quite a bit. Shame they didn't put more effort into it.

Will keep expectations very low going into it. Thanks!

Oh, I think that is them putting effort into it. Judging by the crappy CG that propagates the industry people seem to think that it's okay.

Jex

So, once again Biglobe had a poll, and only 4300 people showed up. Probably because it wasn't about waifus or seiyuu or anything like that, but in fact a topic much closer to all of your hearts. The question this time was:

What anime series do you feel has the best sakuga?

The top ten from the limited results, such as they were:

So, what would be on your list?

It really doesn't matter what the topic at hand is, Biglobe polls produce terrible results that I disagree with heartily.

Also, I'm really confused - it's a list which includes TV shows, OVA's and movies? It feels weird to group those all together.

Where the fuck is Akira, for starters.

I don't think we should even be allowed to discuss a sakuga poll where this is in the results:

# 21 Bakemonogatari

# 23 Denno Coil

Articalys

It's a Biglobe poll, I mostly posted it just to get some amusing reactions out of a few of you and to (maybe) start an actual sakuga discussion, though the latter faltered pretty quickly.
The anime's streaming legally in France, and the Crunchyroll streams are available for many European countries (including the UK, Spain and France again), but as far as I'm aware the manga hasn't actually been licensed anywhere except Taiwan.
I know it's licensed in Italy, since it's among the (many, many non US-licensed aaaagh) series that Lain has occasionally posted impressions of in the manga thread.

Unlike DTL, I don't think the existence of a Crunchyroll stream means it'll get a wider release in Europe, if that's what you mean. I think we have more chance of seeing the live action film get a release through one of the smaller disc labels, especially as it basically covers the same story as the anime in about an eighth of the time.

I mean, I thought since Sentai is dubbing the series then that means it is most likely not only going to be released exclusively in the US, they already said they are dubbing Space Brothers and releasing it on Blu Ray.

Jex

I'm not really in a position to talk informatively about sakuga anime series as there are so many works (a lot of Lupin, for example) I haven't scene but any top ten list I came up with would probably include:

- Some KyoAni show (K-On)
- Dennou Coil (Duh)
- Marco
- Casshern Sins
- City Hunter (Thank you based Sunrise)
- Future Boy Conan
- Kaiba/Kemonozume (One of his works, at least)
- Cobra
- Cowboy Bebop
- Gurren Lagann

Again, only talking about TV shows and only off the top of my head. I am sure some people would disagree with those choices.

DiGiKerot

Source

What a shit.

*Shrug*

It's played London several times at this point, and it's been at more than a few film festivals and events. I'm going to see it again as part of the Glasgow Youth Film Festival in a couple of weeks (along with another screening of Wolf Children, and a Fushigi Mysteri~~~ movie which I gather is also a new All the Anime license, which may well be released country-wide at some point.

I'm not really sure how wide a theatrical release you expect Poppy Hill to get. I mean, whilst I liked it, it's not exactly got the same broad appeal as something like Arrietty (which, I will point out, we got way in advance of the US). Picking off singular screenings here and there may well be the best approach for the movie.

Whilst I can't say I've heard anything specific (I'm in nowhere near a position to be privvy to that kind of information!), I'm pretty sure that someone here in the UK at least may well take a bit of a gamble on a physical release of Space Brothers.

fertygo

My top 5 sakuga anime.

- Laputa (favorite scene : The chase scene]
- Gurren Laggan (
Arc Gurren Laggan moment
)
- Jojo 90's OVA (
Emerald Green chasing Dio's taxi, Jotaro's fight vs Dio
)
- Gunbuster (episode 5)
- HeartCatch Precure (eps 48 fight)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
From the first episode, there wasn't much to Chihaya. All I remember is that she likes to sing. That is the one I'm thinking of, right?
Being able to sing is a pretty big positive for a girl band wouldn't you think. That's why she was initially one of my favourites.

Girls und Panzer should beat them both out.
I'm afraid I removed it from my list after realising I forgot Jinrui. However since GuP can also be considered a 2013 show I've simply moved my vote to this year.

Anyone here pre-ordered the Asuna and Kiriti Figmas?
ibtfrQQ1ygPsM3.gif

For those who care. Here's what the Vol 5 of SAO looks like.
I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to put the ugliest thing in the SAO universe on the cover.

At least they included that CGI skeleton thing to competent for Asuna's presence.

Hunter x Hunter 64
tumblr_mh9thcv0w21r5zfj8o1_500.gif

Nearly a perfect arc but, I think I have to agree with what someone (was it wonzo) said earlier about the antagonist, hes pretty well, just dull or not engaging. Anyway loved the Gon/Killua training.

Didnt think Shalnark could reach the island that easily, and multiple people can combine their nen for bigger skills? (The three bombers seemed to be all connected to this one nen)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Gundam AGE Episode 12 or "This seems a lot like 0079 right now"

So this episode had a space battle but that wasn't the most important part at all. This is what they were, mixed in with a prediction for the future.

1. Flit got
Newtype powers somehow, they call this X-Rounder. They aren't different in anyway.
2. [Prediction] Yurin is
going to be the Lalah of this series I bet. Flit's going to accidentally kill her in battle. He'll scream madly for roughly 5 minutes and go into a rage.

Although I'll have to wait and see if this prediction is right.

Lain

The manga is licensed in Italy and has been released up to volume 17 so far.

Defuser

Oh god, rewatching Jojo ep 16 makes me want that Battle Tendency OST especially that Lotus Juice BGM insert.

COMIN THROUGH COMIN THROUGH COMIN THROUGH NOW! COMIN THROUGH COMIN THROUGH COMIN THROUGH NOW!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Some Lunar game that I bought for £5, and New Super Mario Brothers.

NSMB was the one that cut me the deepest.
Had no idea. Region locking on the DS became a thing when the DSi sprung up and NSMB was released well before that.

I seem to remember people loving the shit out of it around here. Am I wrong?

AnimeGAF move too fast for me :(
No matter the speed just looking at one page usually tells you that AnimeGAF on the whole isn't a fan of the show.

Maedhros

That review was all over the place.

He basically bashed almost every single aspect of the show, but was then like 'oh, but it's kind of fun to watch, so whatever'.

That's basically me in almost every anime out there.

Yeah, there's a lot of bad anime out there. If I would throw a random percentage, I would say over 70%.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is Space Brother gonna come to EU land anyhow? Is the managa localised?
We got it in the UK... as T-Shirts!

*Shrug*

It's played London several times at this point, and it's been at more than a few film festivals and events. I'm going to see it again as part of the Glasgow Youth Film Festival in a couple of weeks (along with another screening of Wolf Children, and a Fushigi Mysteri~~~ movie which I gather is also a new All the Anime license, which may well be released country-wide at some point.

I'm not really sure how wide a theatrical release you expect Poppy Hill to get. I mean, whilst I liked it, it's not exactly got the same broad appeal as something like Arrietty (which, I will point out, we got way in advance of the US). Picking off singular screenings here and there may well be the best approach for the movie.
Film festivals... I really should start following them as general releases clearly aren't cutting it. And if it has already been in London a few times I guess I've missed my chance. My local is a Picturehouse which is pretty good for more obscure films and has shown all the previous Ghibli movies so I was hoping to see it there.

Kagami

So having friends of the opposite gender instantly means they have a chance of sexing? Doesn't seem like stringing them along to me, seems like them massively misinterpreting his actions.
I agree with cosmic on this one, because nobody in the Haganai anime (through season 2 episode 2) has made any overt declaration of romantic affection for Kodaka, other than Rika who does it in a manner that comes off as a joke, so Kodaka hasn't yet had to respond to anything. Just because we've seen occasional evidence that they do get jealous over him (and even that's been rare) doesn't place responsibility on Kodaka at this point.

I share firehawk's sentiment in general about stories where the girls throw themselves at the guy and he rebukes their individual advances without ever clearly saying yes or no; it's just that the Haganai anime hasn't actually done that yet.

And like I said in my other post, so far, the focus of Haganai has been on the girls interacting with each other about topics unrelated to Kodaka, rather than interacting with Kodaka or competing for him, so it feels different from stuff like OniAi or NakaImo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom