• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Syrinx: You're watching the english dub aren't you. With subs you wouldn't be having the same problems spelling names.

WHY

-He gets referred to as "Mickey" in the subs. They do clarify that his name is "Miki", so it's probably a nickname, but they do call him "Mickey".
-Mickey(Miki) calls that girl "Jury" in the subs.
-This isn't the first time I've struggled with names in subs in anime
-When it's one in the morning, I really don't care all that much if I got a name wrong.

AAequal

Banned
Started rewatching Galaxy Express 999. Without a doubt Leiji Matsumoto finest work. I'm only few episodes into the show and I'm totally immersed into it. Such epic journey, there are some episodes that I remember (fossil cloud episode freaked me out as kid) but overall this feels like I'm watching the show for the very first time.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - 16

HjyGqkB.png

Beautiful and cold as ice. I think I'm in love.

Lisa Lisa is a badass. Holy shit.

just watched my first episode of Planetes

awesome anime pulled me in like pure Colombian cocaine, just so gooddddd

thanks Anime Gaf for the recommendation, hopefully wont get burnout by space anime to watch space brothers soon :D and eventually gurren lagan someone said is good too :DDDDDDDDDDDD

Kagami

That's weird. I can't think of any possible explanation for NSMB, especially since that was released way before Nintendo went nuts on region locking. In fact I was playing Ouendan 1 on my 3DS the other day and that worked fine despite being released before NSMB.
I thought I read something like the DSi having an internal database of previously released DS titles so it can enforce region-locking retroactively.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I agree with cosmic on this one, because nobody in the Haganai anime (through season 2 episode 2) has made any overt declaration of romantic affection for Kodaka, other than Rika who does it in a manner that comes off as a joke, so Kodaka hasn't yet had to respond to anything. Just because we've seen occasional evidence that they do get jealous over him (and even that's been rare) doesn't place responsibility on Kodaka at this point.

I share firehawk's sentiment in general about stories where the girls throw themselves at the guy and he rebukes their individual advances without ever clearly saying yes or no; it's just that the Haganai anime hasn't actually done that yet.

And like I said in my other post, so far, the focus of Haganai has been on the girls interacting with each other about topics unrelated to Kodaka, rather than interacting with Kodaka or competing for him, so it feels different from stuff like OniAi or NakaImo.

Whenever Kodaka favours any of the main girls, the "camera" pans to the other girls and shows their jealous reactions.
Heck, the last episode ends with dude almost kissing Sena and shots of everyone getting antsy watching it happen.

The director of these episodes wants you to see their reactions, and their reactions are the type that are coded into anyone watching anime as "jealous". If they're not supposed to have any emotional attachment to Kodaka, then the show is maybe the biggest lie this season. Or the director is incompetent. :p

Is it a crap-harem on the scale of OniAi or whatever where the girls just jump on the guy and try to ride him? No. But is it a harem? Based on what I've seen, undoubtedly yes.

Honestly, the only show this season that has the four girls/one guy formula that doesn't give that feeling is GJ-bu. But I think the room being sexless is a symptom of the fact that the show has no real emotion in it whatsoever.

Jex

Honestly, the only show this season that has the four girls/one guy formula that doesn't give that feeling is GJ-bu. But I think the room being sexless is a symptom of the fact that the show has no real emotion in it whatsoever.
I think you're forgetting Tamako Market! I even mentioned this in my discussion of the third episode.

Gundam AGE Episode 12 or "This seems a lot like 0079 right now"

So this episode had a space battle but that wasn't the most important part at all. This is what they were, mixed in with a prediction for the future.

1. Flit got
Newtype powers somehow, they call this X-Rounder. They aren't different in anyway.
2. [Prediction] Yurin is
going to be the Lalah of this series I bet. Flit's going to accidentally kill her in battle. He'll scream madly for roughly 5 minutes and go into a rage.

Although I'll have to wait and see if this prediction is right.

Word of advice: Quit while you're ahead. It'll save you a lot of pain and suffering.

Kagami

Is it a crap-harem on the scale of OniAi or whatever where the girls just jump on the guy and try to ride him? No. But is it a harem? Based on what I've seen, undoubtedly yes.
I don't think anybody was saying Haganai isn't a harem.
I'm just saying it hasn't suffered from the stringing-along aspect you were talking about.
I never said anyone didn't have an attachment to Kodaka, I said they haven't made any direct moves that require a response on his part.

(Not that it takes very much for an anime to be called a harem anime anyway. Utawarerumono is called a harem anime, omnibus shows like Amagami are called harem anime, Busou Shinki in which the male is barely present is called a harem anime, etc.)

mAcOdIn

Two things:
I never thought Saki from Genshiken was bitchy or unlikable, just saying others have said that to me. Those people are wrong of course.

Kotouro-san's a fun show. Will follow. First episode was totally brutal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nah, it's all about the bird! He thinks he's the harem lead.
Ah, yes. lol

I don't think anybody was saying Haganai isn't a harem.
I'm just saying it hasn't suffered from the stringing-along aspect you were talking about.
I never said anyone didn't have an attachment to Kodaka, I said they haven't made any direct moves that require a response on his part.

(Not that it takes very much for an anime to be called a harem anime anyway. Utawarerumono is called a harem anime, omnibus shows like Amagami are called harem anime, Busou Shinki in which the male is barely present is called a harem anime, etc.)
Well, the thing is that he's obviously aware when the girls troll each other - to the point where he narrates it to the audience - but he's not aware enough to see any of the reactions that the girls have to the random hijinks?

I can't believe that someone could be both that astute and dense at the same time. That said, I probably wouldn't mind as much if at some point, he just came out and :Kanna'ed the entire cast - through internal monologue or otherwise. Then at least it shows an awareness but an unwillingness to act.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
-He gets referred to as "Mickey" in the subs. They do clarify that his name is "Miki", so it's probably a nickname, but they do call him "Mickey".
-Mickey(Miki) calls that girl "Jury" in the subs.
-This isn't the first time I've struggled with names in subs in anime
-When it's one in the morning, I really don't care all that much if I got a name wrong.
Haha, fair enough. You just had me worried.

BluWacky

Right, I'm using Biglobe as an excuse to talk about an animated sequence I've wanted to talk about for ages, but have never bothered doing before.

So I've got my box of DVDs down from on top of the wardrobe and finally got around to fishing out Noein episode 17.

Noein's famous fight sequence is the episode 12 battle with Fukurou, animated by Ryochimo Sawa, which is already on Youtube and well-documented in the special features on the DVDs. It's ace, you should watch it.

For some reason, though, it's not the fight I've found most memorable in the show. That honour goes to episode 17, "Dilemma", and the fight between Karasu and Kosagi.
Well, there's also the one with the laundry lines near the end of the series which was really frickin' weird. And the one where Kuina crumbles into pieces. And most of the Atori fights. And...

Unfortunately I don't own the beautiful Bluray boxset that came out in Japan so you have to make do with DVD quality footage, but you can see the fight here - the fight only lasts up to about 3 minutes in but I like the rest of the sequence as well, hence why I've uploaded the whole lot.

Part of what makes this sequence so memorable for me is that I like Kosagi as a character. I like that the show never explicitly states the obvious about her, but chooses to use visual cues instead - there's a great shot at the end of the episode where
she smears away her lipstick; even though she's gone to kill Karasu and kidnap Haruka, she's "dressed up" for the occasion because she's so desperate to impress him
. Her characterisation isn't super-sophisticated but she's a nice contrast to, say, Atori.

However, what's really great about this is the style of the fight, particularly the opening segment. All of the Dragoons are named after birds - Karasu is "crow", Kosagi is "egret". While all the fight sequences in the show are dynamic and exciting, this one in particular plays up the bird-like nature of the characters - I just love the sequence where they're fighting around the airplane and Karasu dissolves into a flock of crows, it's the kind of thing that's easy to do in CG but so much more impressive here.

Andrew J.

You're both saying words and its hurting me.

But you're making it better.

ALSO has anybody watched Zeorymer of the Skies? I haven't, and I'm not going to, because I saw it in SRWJ, and the mecha have the dumbest names EVER.

ROSE C'EST LA VIE OF THE MOON? REALLY?

Ooh, I have! More people should; it's only five episodes and is only kind of terrible. It's got lots of neat 2D mechanical animation, so if any of our Gunbuster watchers are jonesing...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
AKB0048 - 17

ibdMrkMFuHYTiK.gif

This was the most inspirational show I have ever seen. I crying so much throughout the whole thing that I filled three whole glasses with tears.

mAcOdIn

Well, the thing is that he's obviously aware when the girls troll each other - to the point where he narrates it to the audience - but he's not aware enough to see any of the reactions that the girls have to the random hijinks?

I can't believe that someone could be both that astute and dense at the same time. That said, I probably wouldn't mind as much if at some point, he just came out and :Kanna'ed the entire cast - through internal monologue or otherwise. Then at least it shows an awareness but an unwillingness to act.
This happens in everything with a childhood friend too. It's stupid as shit. They know not to upset the childhood friend but then don't seem to know why exactly him showing interest in another girl. Moronic.

This must be how the writers of Stargate felt when they discussed the difficulty in creating a big bad alien menace that was superior to us in every way and threatened our very existence as a species and yet also be incompetent enough that we could actually fight back.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This happens in everything with a childhood friend too. It's stupid as shit. They know not to upset the childhood friend but then don't seem to know why exactly him showing interest in another girl. Moronic.

This must be how the writers of Stargate felt when they discussed the difficulty in creating a big bad alien menace that was superior to us in every way and threatened our very existence as a species and yet also be incompetent enough that we could actually fight back.
Since you're watching Kotoura-san, (episode 2 spoilers in case you haven't seen it)
I do appreciate how great it is that the dude just tells the childhood friend to fuck off. It's the first time I've seen that in anime...

Heh, it's funny because in Stargate, they just keep inventing bigger and bigger alien menaces to fight.

It's probably the worst thing about serialized fiction inasmuch as once you hit your stride, you want to keep that going for as long as possible. Why shake something up if the status-quo is satisfying readers and keeping the lights on?

Cardfight!! Vanguard 59 (eng dub)

Will hopefully finish it today and start season 2 dub (but only nine episodes durbbed thus far...) soon. Anyway just a preparation episode for the finales, really funny Kamui lines, "Im trickling with enticement", etc.
Kai not being part of this round, :( Perhaps Aichi Sendous winning image will be enough to firmly dethrone Ren Suzugamori. I think Misaki will lose...

mAcOdIn

Since you're watching Kotoura-san, (episode 2 spoilers in case you haven't seen it)
I do appreciate how great it is that the dude just tells the childhood friend to fuck off. It's the first time I've seen that in anime...
Argh, that spoiler! Just kidding, I watched all three episode right after another.

Heh, it's funny because in Stargate, they just keep inventing bigger and bigger alien menaces to fight.

It's probably the worst thing about serialized fiction inasmuch as once you hit your stride, you want to keep that going for as long as possible. Why shake something up if the status-quo is satisfying readers and keeping the lights on?
I would say though that I think both the Stargate writers and haremshit writers do ultimately fail to make their situations believable. Yes. I believe that Stargate, the TV show, has the same quality writing as such great anime works like Haganai and Pet Girl of Sakurasou.

Also fuck my phone for cutting out the last part of my sentence last post.
...I no longer have a DS Phat. If they region lock Ouendan I'm gonna knock over some racks.
Ouendan 2 worked fine in my US 3ds. :shrug:

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would say though that I think both the Stargate writers and haremshit writers do ultimately fail to make their situations believable. Yes. I believe that Stargate, the TV show, has the same quality writing as such great anime works like Haganai and Pet Girl of Sakurasou.
Given the mess that was Atlantis and Universe, I'm not inclined to disagree.

Franchises don't work... or at least, you can't keep the same writers and producers on for a show's entire run and expect quality by year 10.

faridmon

Minori is by far the worst character in ToraDora.

I think we will agree to disagree with that. She does have some horrible personality, but Ami just acted like a bitch throughout. I don't care how OK she was in the inside, but you don't act like a drama queen just because you could. She is more Tsundere than Taiga in some cases!

Jex

Given the mess that was Atlantis and Universe, I'm not inclined to disagree.

Franchises don't work... or at least, you can't keep the same writers and producers on for a show's entire run and expect quality by year 10.

Why do you hate Space vampires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom