• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kuroko's Basketball NG-shuu 03

gcCpX7o.jpg

Oh you silly pooch.

cajunator

Banned
Keep in mind that S1 had two volumes.

For S2 it looks like they're just doing a two disc set.

I know. I bought both volumes. Dug through the whole list for the CDs :)
It wasn't cheap. About the cost of one Ultimate Madoka figurine for four CDs.

Eh, they're better, but that doesn't make that other cover bad. It's ok.

I agree. Ghibi film covers don't bother me one way or the other. I'm just concerned with the bluray.

just watched my first episode of Planetes

awesome anime pulled me in like pure Colombian cocaine, just so gooddddd

thanks Anime Gaf for the recommendation, hopefully wont get burnout by space anime to watch space brothers soon :D and eventually gurren lagan someone said is good too :DDDDDDDDDDDD

Nice! Planetes is a pretty enjoyable realistic space story with some interesting twists and turns and great characters. I think Ai Tanabe is the sweetest, cutest thing, but others here disagree.

Two things:
I never thought Saki from Genshiken was bitchy or unlikable, just saying others have said that to me. Those people are wrong of course.

Kotouro-san's a fun show. Will follow. First episode was totally brutal.

Yeah brutal is a good word to describe it. I didn't expect that kind of whiplash. Its interesting though. The show has a strange balance to it that keeps me hooked and kotoura is a sweetheart.

Since you're watching Kotoura-san, (episode 2 spoilers in case you haven't seen it)
I do appreciate how great it is that the dude just tells the childhood friend to fuck off. It's the first time I've seen that in anime...

Heh, it's funny because in Stargate, they just keep inventing bigger and bigger alien menaces to fight.

It's probably the worst thing about serialized fiction inasmuch as once you hit your stride, you want to keep that going for as long as possible. Why shake something up if the status-quo is satisfying readers and keeping the lights on?

Seiji in Midori Days kind of did that too. Not as directly though.

The iDOLM@STER - 15

NEW LIST!

1. Azusa
  2. Makoto
  3. Takane
  4. Miki
  5. Yukiho
  6. Ami&Mami
  7. Hibiki
  8. Haruka
  9. Iori
  10. Yayoi
  11. Chihaya

You got Takane and Makoto way up there so I cannot hate this list, but why is Chihaya so low? Also Miki way too high and Yayoi is far too low.

Narag

A Letter to Momo

I shouldn't have watched this on A) no sleep & B) on some pain meds because I think I missed out on something nice due to my inattentiveness,not that I didn't enjoy it anyhow.

Nafe

AKB0048 Next Stage

Episode 4

gmVZOrY.jpg

Wow...Amazing...

On the one hand not much happened this episode but on the other, so much happened.

All that tension and drama!
The emotion!
All those tears!
Those smiles!
The happiness!
The love!

Amazing...

I'm genuinely curious as to what sensei sensei is referring and what will happen regarding all this surrounding the center nova.

Haha, the scariest part about this is apparently it sounds like the events in this episode might not be too far off from what happens in actual AKB48 elections! They might be even more crazy! Reality is stranger than fiction as the saying goes.

V3vcsk8.jpg

Narag

AKB0048 Next Stage

Episode 4
Haha, the scariest part about this is apparently it sounds like the events in this episode might not be too far off from what happens in actual AKB48 elections! They might be even more crazy! Reality is stranger than fiction as the saying goes.

zeroshiki should bite the bullet and just watch this one for us since he seems so knowledgeable in the ways of AKB.

cajunator

Banned
I know we are nerds and all but this trend of ranking idols after every episode is trying too hard.

It is. It was Kayos' thing and he was being quite entertaining with it. Let little mascot-kun have his schtick.

Usually it's something I've noted as I liked or found amusing I want to hold onto. They also double as mnemonic devices that let me recall a show easier.

Other times they remind me of sinful indiscretion in show selection. Like so:

That wasn't a sinful choice. She's like the only thing I liked about the few episodes I made myself endure. I made it about 6 episodes in before politely shoving the show to the bottom of my watchlist.

Noir 15-16

Slowly figuring out who/what the Soldats are and what their objective seem to be.
I hope Kirika's question of "Who am I?" to Chloe is foreshadowing the answer coming up soon.

I'm not gonna say anything because at this point its almost all spoilers, but isn't the soundtrack pretty? Noir had a fantastic soundtrack. Actually, so did Madlax.

Cardfight!! Vanguard 63
tumblr_mhavx5cM7B1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Great start to possibly the second best duel in the entire series. I want Aichi to win.
though based on past things the story could go either way, they dont tend to do the expected. Best moment was when they were like you know what time it is when Blaster Blade appeared

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tsuritama 06-12
Well I finished it in time at least. I wish that I liked it more, but it never really clicked with me. Really disliked the show visually and I found the backgrounds in particular to be extraordinarily ugly. It really wound up hurting the sense of place in many situations. While I liked how well planned out the story seemed it was fairly on the nose with most of its story cues, and as such I never felt very surprised or excited about where the story went. Additionally, I felt like much of that story lacked much meaning. It's possible most of that was lost on me, but rarely did it seem like scenes were significant even if they were presented in an emotionally heightened manner. It was often plot for the sake of plot and to progress things without things being mapped together using a unified underlying emotional framework. Things really didn't tie back to the main character often, and I wound up feeling relatively indifferent to him by the end.

When it comes to the climax,
I guess I didn't really see the need to raise the stakes in the way the show did, and it never really justified much of the tension. For example, the threat of missiles being launched on the final fishing area is introduced, then pulled back because one of the DUCK guys is okay, then reintroduced because there are just more missiles around the corner. These kind of intangible and false stakes don't really add value to catching the alien, and along with the evacuation it wound up just being more stuff on the "plot for the sake of plot" pile.

The ending really wound up obfuscating much of the meaning to me as well. It seemed like the group of guys bonding together was one of the stronger points of the story but they don't really portray them as being in touch with one another. The whole aliens leaving thing was kind of just another piece that wound up being lame. It was built up quite a bit, then they go through with it, and then they just come back immediately. Yuki builds up how he will never let Haru go but he sure seems pretty nonplussed about the affair when the time comes.

Most cold blooded moment:
Yuki telling his grandma he doesn't have a family while she politely nods and continues to be nothing more than a plot device/voice of reason.

Taruranto

I am glad that, there at least some of you lot that agree with me when it comes to its overall quality. I don't even know if I should continue watching it.

ChihayaFuru S2 Ep 1-3

Yes, one of my favorite Animes making a comeback and its as good as ever... until they introduced a bitchy and totally unlikable character. Yep, Shoujo is gonna Shoujo. Lets just hope she develop into a more realised character.

Now here is a question: Who is your favorite Bitchy/totally unlikable character in an Anime?

Mine is :

Ami_kawashima.jpg

Syrinx

The iDOLM@STER 5

Beach episode that isn't about anybody in particular. Mainly just an opportunity for the girls to bond with each other. And wear swimsuits.

Come on, Makoto. You're too cool to be getting scared by dumb ghost stories.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Some people have Miki as their favourite idol. Just sayin'.

Wouldn't be surprised if Polar Bear Cafe's Panda had fans too.

fertygo

Tsuritama 06-12
Well I finished it in time at least. I wish that I liked it more, but it never really clicked with me. Really disliked the show visually and I found the backgrounds in particular to be extraordinarily ugly. It really wound up hurting the sense of place in many situations. While I liked how well planned out the story seemed it was fairly on the nose with most of its story cues, and as such I never felt very surprised or excited about where the story went. Additionally, I felt like much of that story lacked much meaning. It's possible most of that was lost on me, but rarely did it seem like scenes were significant even if they were presented in an emotionally heightened manner. It was often plot for the sake of plot and to progress things without things being mapped together using a unified underlying emotional framework. Things really didn't tie back to the main character often, and I wound up feeling relatively indifferent to him by the end.
This is like the opposite of Tsuritama, the show always building up time to build tension, chara development,, its very slowly building all that. Feel weird you said they "shoving" something else with moving the plot.

And What up with the contradictory on spoiler point?

You think the evacuation are only plot device and useless while you talking about firing multiple missile?

And ugly background, really?

I thought that's one of the show strong point.

Cardfight!! Vanguard 63-65 (end) eng dub

Pretty excellent end to season one. Overall a solid english dub that sounded as if it had new voices to the scene. The series really felt good and innovative for the genre with a wide variety of cards, effects, and rules. Decreasing focus on supernatural magic stuff that other anime in the genre have and at least have a much larger emphasis on strategy, deck building, practice, and realistic luck, made it rather enjoyable, pleasing, and pretty unpredictable at times. Final arc did somewhat change a bit:
Ramping up supernatural levels by having the whole game be a tie in to realistic action on the planet Cray and the characters through psyqualia being the ones commanding the troops on cray, which are their avatars
, It was only shortlived and quite brief. I wonder if it returns s2.

Easily one of my favorite anime and I loved its usage of friendship, trying to bring one back to the side of light no matter what, as well as devotion and such to complement the card stuff. Really well done.

cajunator

Banned
Touche, but it's only really offensive when it becomes blatant and obvious.

I do not disagree. However in SnW its not blatant like it is in ElfEn Lied. Kanata just has to pee and she's dancing around, but she has an important phone call to monitor for. I'm pretty sure if its a real military call, a soldier has to sit there no matter what.

Kagami

Well, that's the point. If it was just some comedy in poor taste that'd be one thing, but the fact that it's THAT guy doing it again shows it's really just his sick fetish.

Now hang on, actual peeing scenes are a sick fetish, but just needing to pee really badly is funny and cute.
Right, guys?

...Guys?

Looks like the final two episodes of Girls und Panzer will air sometime before March 23. That's the date where they'll be holding a full marathon of the series at Kadokawa's Mito Cineplex. All 12 episodes. So the broadcast of the final two episodes will likely be before that.

Well, at least it'll happen eventually. Perhaps I'll actually go and watch the .5 eps in the meantime.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is like the opposite of Tsuritama, the show always building up time to build tension, chara development,, its very slowly building all that. Feel weird you said they "shoving" something else with moving the plot.
I didn't use the term "shoving" anywhere. There simply wasn't an discernible meaning to most of what was going on, it simply happened to follow the expected story arc. I never really felt like Tsuritama did much with the ocean, its subject matter, or even its characters. The show could have been about anything and it would have wound up being the same. Even its themes like family never really take off or go anywhere because the story lacks consequence.
And What up with the contradictory on spoiler point?

You think the evacuation are only plot device and useless while you talking about firing multiple missile?
No, I understand why these things happen in context of one another. I do not understand why the happen within the context of the larger story of Yuki maturing.
And ugly background, really?

I thought that's one of the show strong point.
I found them flat and underdeveloped, marred by awkward CG. Particularly bad at sea when you get those static waves. They often fail to communicate information about the world, and it feels like the locations are a set rather than real places with history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom