• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

I remember when I was stuck in traffic for forty minutes and I needed to pee. Eventually I managed to get off the highway and drove into a gas station where I ran in aimed and fired against the back of the urinal. It was really moe.

I remember when I was stuck in traffic for forty minutes and I needed to pee. Eventually I managed to get off the highway and drove into a gas station where I ran in aimed and fired against the back of the urinal. It was really moe.

I bet you weren't wearing half as cute clothes as Kanata.

Saprol

When's the anime adaptation?

Puchimas 20
Uu-uu.
iDVlCsglaS0yl.gif

Moonlight

Banned
The Idolm@ster Epiosde 9

Someone ate the pudding while we were gone?

k00grkj.gif

WATASHI KININARIMASU

Alright, so I'll admit that this episode was alright despite my antipathy towards the twins. I hate to disappoint anyone who felt that this episode might make me seriously change my mind on them, but I don't think this episode has made me shift my thoughts on them too much. They're just irritating characters with irritating methods. I won't lie and say that nothing they did this episode wasn't funny -
particularly their 'beautiful and sexy detective' speech and subsequent cornering of Yayoi
, but at the end of the day, they never fail to leave something of a bad taste in my mouth. Still, all that out of the way, they've definitely been toned down since the first few episodes, and there were still plenty of good moments to be had. Particularly the cold opening, which I thought was quite clever. I don't think I'd actually watch that mini-drama, though.

At the very least, inverse twin to quality rule can't apply here.

tl;dr

S Rank
Chihaya
Makoto

A+ Rank
Azusa

A Rank
Haruka
Miki

B Rank
Takane
Hibiki
Iori

D Rank
Yayoi
Ami and Mami

F Rank
Yukiho

Jex

[From the New World] - 17

SSY177.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this episode was competently directed! Earlier on in this series I would have to point this kind of thing out because things were so uneven but it's really settled down to be fairly consistent by this point. There was nothing astounding about this episode but it was completely solid.

I like the way that Saki's face, and therefore he true feelings, are hidden by her placement of the camera in this image:

SSY171.jpg

I also find it rather amusing that she keeps up this façade of indifference for only about three seconds before being cracking. It just isn't in her nature to be that deceitful:

SSY172.jpg

This episode is really nothing more than a series of conversations. Despite the fact that action occurs quite frequently in this series and even in this episode it's rarely the source of much tension or interest (which is good considering the last time they focused on it the episode in question was extremely dull). Instead all the tension and sparring occurs when characters talk to each other. Saki and Satoru's conversation is just the warm up to what's going to happen later and you really get the impression that neither character considers what's happening to be of any serious consequence. Of course, we know that it has to be important or we wouldn't have skipped to this very point in time. The director, too, know what's going to happen next and so we have this shot:

SSY173.jpg

Normally this kind of birds-eye shot is used to give the viewer a clearer understanding of what's happening in a scene but in this case they're been observed from an angle that they are unaware of implying that both Satoru and Saki are completely unaware of something very important. What that thing is will become apparent later on in the episode.

SSY174.jpg

SSY175.jpg

Speaking of tense sequences, the interrogation of the two representatives was handled very well. They didn't really use any techniques beyond switching between a variety of close-ups but it helped the audience to see that each character was making the other angrier during the course of their interrogation. It's quite hard to make a scene like this interesting considering how static everyone is so good job to the director for making it work.

SSY176.jpg

You really get the feeling that everyone is underestimating just how dangerous this whole thing is. Despite the fact that the humans are extremely powerful due to their psychic abilities they are very limited in number. As we've seen earlier while a single warrior can wreak some considerable damage they only have a limited amount of energy and there's also the possibility that the death effect will hinder their ability to carry on fighting the enemy.

SSY178.jpg

Even one of the most knowledgeable people in the field of the exospecies, Saki's boss, seems to be completely unphased by their rapid advancement. I suppose it's hard to blame him, and everyone else in the village because their entire society is dedicated to combating threats from within in terms of rogue psychics. Still, if they'd studied their history books (whichever ones haven't been burnt or banned) they'd know the kind of fate which befalls a society that runs off of slaves.

SSY179.jpg

I am not really a fan of the new ED, the original was considerably tighter and more emotionally powerful. I guess this
shot of Maria flying and crying bodes ill, especially as she releases what appears to be some kind of explosive burst.

[From the New World] - 17

Even one of the most knowledgeable people in the field of the exospecies, Saki's boss, seems to be completely unphased by their rapid advancement. I suppose it's hard to blame him, and everyone else in the village because their entire society is dedicated to combating threats from within in terms of rogue psychics. Still, if they'd studied their history books (whichever ones haven't been burnt or banned) they'd know the kind of fate which befalls a society that runs off of slaves.

How did you reach that conclusion? Wasnt he the same one that expressed concern and even fear about that during their field study and observation of the main event?

faridmon

SAO is a bit over-discussed so LTTP posts might get under appreciated. My biggest problem with SAO is that it could betray your expectations heavily. Depends on what your expecting and the breadth of genres you're comfortable with. Sometimes it's okay to like troublesome things.

I don't know. I just don't feel its taking its chances rather well and fall back always on the root of stereotype and whatnot (don' know what I was expecting to be fair) It jumps a lot and.... Yeah. I'll stick with it for now and see how it develops, since right now, it feels that nothing is attached to another and Every Ep is completely different storyline.

/XX/

Tomorrow (January, 29... in Japan) comes with the release of The Life of Guskō Budori on digital disc! And maybe I'm too much of a cheapskate but wanted for the special edition to include the Animation Maestro Gisaburo documentary (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42348774&postcount=13367)... and also because I haven't seen an individual release for it (yeah, that is the true reason).

Oh, that's Courtney.
What the fuck is this shit?
Something that seems a little wrong, I think. ZachDeKoromaru said it recently as well, but no original Consuela in there isn't... "right"!

Haha, at first it looked like you just ranked them according to bust size. I'm not sure what they all are but that still might not be too far off anyway.
Can't be, because 72! I think even Broducer has more bust than Chihaya...

Why conform with only an opening when there is a whole '8-bits' game made (http://a.lemnis.ca/2011/08/steinsgate-8-bit-demo-translation.html)? They should step-up and replicate the whole series to compete!

I haven't read any of Yotsuba&!, though I know of it. Is he/she a good kid then?
Oh yes, she is! And in a way so joyful it captures really naturally that child-like vision of the world. Yotsuba&! is something any person can wonder with, and with its detailed while clean style and foremost visual language even the very same infants it is inspired in can appreciate it (more easily with cool picture books destined to please every audience like this one; http://www.yotuba.com/sirokuro.html).

The manga is licensed in Italy and has been released up to volume 17 so far.
Yeah, but everything is licences in Italy (and France for that matter)

lucky twats.
Yeah, I hear you... although maybe Spain is also lucky this time, as recently hinted (http://noticias.otakucenter.es/inde...gas-que-interesan-a-las-editoriales-para-2013).

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The iDOLM@STER - 17

Makoto episode is awesome episode. Don't understand why Chihaya has been getting attention in the two most recent episodes I've seen where's she's either depressed or brooding. Shit is annoying. Put all of that in an episode that's dedicated to her.

cajunator

Banned
The iDOLM@STER - 17

Makoto episode is awesome episode. Don't understand why Chihaya has been getting attention in the two most recent episodes I've seen where's she's either depressed or brooding. Shit is annoying. Put all of that in an episode that's dedicated to her.

OH GOD. CUTEST EPISODE. HNNNNNNNNGH

Shergal

Shin Sekai Yori 17

You know, there's a dissonance between how they present Squealer and what is actually happening. He seems to be the secret mastermind bad guy, but in truth what he's doing is completely reasonable and justified, since doesn't seem to have any ulterior motive beyond the liberation of his species, or more precisely, of his colony. He's the hero rat people deserve.

Hey anime-gaf I need your help. I have a little sister aged 10 and she seems to like anime on tv. She wants to watch more but my parents have parental controls on her laptop and it does not let her go to those sites. So I was thinking of buying some for her.

Do you guys know of any anime that a 10-year old girl will like. If it helps she is tomboyish in the sense that she does not mind to watch shows like Naruto. In fact she likes it a lot.

Just as precautions, there should be no gore or excessive blood scenes, no nudity or similar fan service things and the plot should not be adult themed. She may not understand it lol.

Extra points if I can buy it easily.

Cheers anime-gaf.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hey anime-gaf I need your help. I have a little sister aged 10 and she seems to like anime on tv. She wants to watch more but my parents have parental controls on her laptop and it does not let her go to those sites. So I was thinking of buying some for her.

Do you guys know of any anime that a 10-year old girl will like. If it helps she is tomboyish in the sense that she does not mind to watch shows like Naruto. In fact she likes it a lot.

Just as precautions, there should be no gore or excessive blood scenes, no nudity or similar fan service things and the plot should not be adult themed. She may not understand it lol.

Cheers anime-gaf.
It sounds like she likes shounen? The closest thing that comes to mind is Fullmetal Alchemist (both FMA and Brotherhood) since that has minimal blood, but it can get a bit upsetting at times. Otherwise I was gonna suggest Bunny Drop since that seems to be a hit with pretty much everyone.

Are the parental controls blocking access to Crunchyroll too? That might be a good place to go since it tags the fanservicey/gore content.

Dresden

Dennou Coil

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Inferno Cop 5

If you thought the plot progress in this weeks Gintama was good it ain't nothing compared to this marvel. I literally cannot tell where the story is going.

Cheers anime-gaf.

K-ON! is about girls hanging out, so she might like that. There isn't much fanservice and what there is, it's really tame.
And to appeal towards her more tomboyish tastes, there's always Gurren Lagann. I think that's appropriate for her age.

Those are the only ones that come to mind right now.

cajunator

Banned

Cheers anime-gaf.

Angelic Layer is super adorable, and perfectly suitable for a kid to watch while also being really fun with the battle doll fights. It seems perfect for her.
As to where to find it for cheap I cant really say. I'm surprised at how much its going for.

I second K-On and Bunny Drop too. Those are perfectly acceptable and a lot easier to find.
There is also Saint Tail which is super adorable but also out of print and probably on found on ebay. I hate that so many great shows are discontinued and stupidly expensive to attain.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
K-ON! is about girls hanging out, so she might like that. There isn't much fanservice and what there is, it's really tame.
And to appeal towards her more tomboyish tastes, there's always Gurren Lagann. I think that's appropriate for her age.

Those are the only ones that come to mind right now.
Gurren Lagann has plenty of fanservice. Episode six is about trying to peep on a bunch of naked ladies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Cheers anime-gaf.

I'll need some extra AnimeGAF help on this one, 'cause I've never actually seen it myself, but I've heard Princess Nine is quite good for young girls. But again, I've not seen it so I cannot confirm. What says AnimeGAF?

Dresden

He said: buy it easily

shift your gaze to the left

Extra points

now gaze upon its glory
consider the ramifications
row row fight da powah

Wasn't it presented in a comical way or something? I'd imagine that there's a difference between episode six in Gurren Lagann and the typical episode of To-Love Ru.

Boobs bounce and Yoko is Yoko, but otherwise I don't think it's all that pervy. It's not all that different from the fanservice stuff in Naruto so she should be fine.

Cheers anime-gaf.

Naruto gets pretty bloody.

Anyway, I'd say One Piece and Fairy Tail are probably shows she would like a lot. I think the latter just recently got a dub.

You could check out this thread I made which has a lot of series of that type, but some can be pretty bloody. A good chunk of them also aren't available to buy.

iammeiam

I'll need some extra AnimeGAF help on this one, 'cause I've never actually seen it myself, but I've heard Princess Nine is quite good for young girls. But again, I've not seen it so I cannot confirm. What says AnimeGAF?

I haven't seen it in ages, but I really liked Princess Nine and I don't remember anything objectionable in it. As a bonus, it's actually got an English dub which makes it kid-friendlier.

I think Kaleido Star would also be a good one. she may want to learn the diabolo afterwards, though.

Dresden

Did you buy from Ebay?
Sorry for the super late response-

No, I purchased my Nadia dvds from amazon. The first set arrived with what looked like a damaged disc in collection 1 and the second set had a broken slip insert peg that was nowhere to be found within the case. Made me very suspicious on it being "new."

I contacted the seller, and they apologized. They shipped me a brand new set with a return label for the ones I already had. Worked out quite nicely in the end, all things considered.

Steroyd

Cheers anime-gaf.

I have a similar situation with my 14 year old sister, either crunchyroll sucks and doesn't have a filter, or I'm just not seeing it.

Anyway.

Ouran Highschool Host Club
Hare and Guu
K-ON
Squid Girl
Skip Beat
Cardcaptor Sakura
Sailormoon
Fruits Basket
Nichijou
Perfect Girl Evolution/The Wallflower

Mature

Cheers anime-gaf.
What types of shows does she like on TV? Might be a good starting point for a recommendation.

Ultimadrago

The iDOLM@STER 2

Man, this is getting AKB0048 vibes all of a sudden. (Operation Pheromone, etc)

That was a rather weak episode to have centered (somewhat kind of) on one of the girls. That said, I don't hate Iori. In fact, she's not half-bad.

Ritsuko looks like she's pretty fun, I think I'll end up liking her quite a bit. Makoto doesn't look bad either.

Welp. Beyond noting preferences between the idols, there's not much else of note.

Inferno Cop 5

ic500jl6.png

Social commentary.

OceanBlue

Boobs bounce and Yoko is Yoko, but otherwise I don't think it's all that pervy. It's not all that different from the fanservice stuff in Naruto so she should be fine.

Yoko's boob sakuga is not very conspicuous either.

I didn't think it was that big of a deal because I thought he was specifying Queen's Blade/Quaser-level fanservice, but if you guys say so...

As for the original question, I'd start with these:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Maid-sama/Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Ouran High School Host Club
K-On!

I can't think of many shounen I'd recommend that are appropriate for 10 year old girls, to be honest. FMA and Eureka 7 are on the border. It depends on what she's accustomed to and what her parents will let her watch.

Edit: Ah yeah, Cajun recommended a good one. Fruits Basket is really popular.

cajunator

Banned
I still say Angelic Layer would be the perfect balance of shounen fighting and shoujo cuteness but why is it so fucking expensive now?! What in the hell? that show should be cheap and available to ALL :( Now I'm angry.

CorvoSol

Gundam AGE Episode 11

Minsry looks nice, Yurin's back, Federation hates Grodeck, Diva gets upgrade.

End of episode.

Gundam AGE Episode 12 or "This seems a lot like 0079 right now"

So this episode had a space battle but that wasn't the most important part at all. This is what they were, mixed in with a prediction for the future.

1. Flit got
Newtype powers somehow, they call this X-Rounder. They aren't different in anyway.
2. [Prediction] Yurin is
going to be the Lalah of this series I bet. Flit's going to accidentally kill her in battle. He'll scream madly for roughly 5 minutes and go into a rage.

Although I'll have to wait and see if this prediction is right.

Please stop while you're still alive. It only gets worse from here. Also,
ladies and gentlemen this guy has guessed the end of Flit's arc after only 12 episodes.

Ooh, I have! More people should; it's only five episodes and is only kind of terrible. It's got lots of neat 2D mechanical animation, so if any of our Gunbuster watchers are jonesing...

Yeah, okay, but they have a mech called Rose C'est La Vie of the Moon. Pink It's the Life of the Moon.

I can't think of many shounen I'd recommend that are appropriate for 10 year old girls, to be honest. FMA and Eureka 7 are on the border. It depends on what she's accustomed to and what her parents will let her watch.

FMA is a horrible recommendation for a 10 year old imo.

I really think Fairy Tail and One Piece are the best shounen you can recommend to that age group.

OceanBlue

FMA is a horrible recommendation for a 10 year old imo.

I really think Fairy Tail and One Piece are the best shounen you can recommend to that age group.

Like I said, it all depends on what the 10 year old is accustomed to. I had a few cousins who would've been completely fine with watching FMA at 10.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The iDOLM@STER - 18

Probably one of my favorite episodes from the show so far. I'm really hoping
Ritsuko returns to the stage and becomes a full time idol, or at the very least does it on the side.

And what was the song that was playing when they were doing rehearsals? I'm in love with it.

Anyways without a doubt
Ritsuko
has cracked my top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom