• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey anime-gaf I need your help. I have a little sister aged 10 and she seems to like anime on tv. She wants to watch more but my parents have parental controls on her laptop and it does not let her go to those sites. So I was thinking of buying some for her.

Do you guys know of any anime that a 10-year old girl will like. If it helps she is tomboyish in the sense that she does not mind to watch shows like Naruto. In fact she likes it a lot.

Just as precautions, there should be no gore or excessive blood scenes, no nudity or similar fan service things and the plot should not be adult themed. She may not understand it lol.

Extra points if I can buy it easily.

Cheers anime-gaf.

Cardfight Vanguard, Monsuno, and I guess soon, Phi Brain: Puzzle of God. Pucca and Fairy Tail and BLue Exorcist too.

Thank you guys for all the responses.

K-on seems like a safe bet and it seems I can get it for pretty cheap online.

Princess Nine looks good to.

About Gurren Lagann.....yeah Yoko does wear some skimpy outfits but the bigger problem is that I don't think she has good enough taste to truly admire an amazing series like this. Short answer is she hates mechs.

I have seen Darker than Black and I highly doubt she will know what the fuck the people in the show are talking about half the time especially with all the bullshit physics they spew. Also it has quite a bit of blood like the Wei scene.

I am pretty sure she will like One piece and Fairy Tail but I don't have the cash to buy all those.

I will just buy K-on for now.

Thanks for the suggestion guys greatly appreciated.

cajunator

Banned
Thank you guys for all the responses.

K-on seems like a safe bet and it seems I can get it for pretty cheap online.

Princess Nine looks good to.

About Gurren Lagann.....yeah Yoko does wear some skimpy outfits but the bigger problem is that I don't think she has good enough taste to truly admire an amazing series like this. Short answer is she hates mechs.

I have seen Darker than Black and I highly doubt she will know what the fuck the people in the show are talking about half the time especially with all the bullshit physics they spew. Also it has quite a bit of blood like the Wei scene.

I am pretty sure she will like One piece and Fairy Tail but I don't have the cash to buy all those.

I will just buy K-on for now.

Thanks for the suggestion guys greatly appreciated.

K-on is widely available and fun and completely benign for a 10 year old to watch. Its a good choice. there is also a second season.

I did too before I watched Gurren Lagann.

But yeah, give her a bit of time. Maybe show it to her when she really needs to be inspired. That's the kind of series that makes you want to run marathons.

Also, is Hulu blocked? Because if not, you could just show her all of One Piece and I think a lot of Fairy Tail.

cajunator

Banned
Why do I feel like Sailor Moon and maybe CCS are the only of these that remotely fit the tomboyish description...?

I'd go with a relatively short shounen show like Soul Eater, maybe. I don't remember it being particularly bloody, though I could be wrong since I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing.

Pretear always seemed a bit tomboyish to me. The main character Himeno anyway.

Cwarrior

Hey anime-gaf I need your help. I have a little sister aged 10 and she seems to like anime on tv. She wants to watch more but my parents have parental controls on her laptop and it does not let her go to those sites. So I was thinking of buying some for her.

Do you guys know of any anime that a 10-year old girl will like. If it helps she is tomboyish in the sense that she does not mind to watch shows like Naruto. In fact she likes it a lot.

Just as precautions, there should be no gore or excessive blood scenes, no nudity or similar fan service things and the plot should not be adult themed. She may not understand it lol.

Cheers anime-gaf.

If she hasn't seen it already, Dragon ball Zeee.

Can't go wrong with it, it's a timeless old classic that's a lot of peoples entry anime all around the world.

Hating mecha means she has good taste.

OceanBlue

Why do I feel like Sailor Moon and maybe CCS are the only of these that remotely fit the tomboyish description...?

I'd go with a relatively short shounen show like Soul Eater, maybe. I don't remember it being particularly bloody, though I could be wrong since I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing.

Mmm, I figured it was okay. I would imagine that tomboys don't always have to prefer action-y, boyish things. I have a 12 year old cousin who, despite being a tomboy, still gets into a lot of the things you'd imagine "girly" girls getting into.

Well, I'm not a tomboy so I can't say for sure, lol.

Dresden

from the new world - 08

And thus the new arc begins. Saki undergoes a facial metamorphosis from scene to scene and the conclusion of the last episode returns to haunt the characters.

As much as I enjoy the show, there's a tendency to spell out everything you need, when more ambiguity wouldn't hurt. It's not the anime's fault, I guess - it's a sophisticated story, but it doesn't always get transmitted with the same grace it needs and that's likely more on the original novel.

I did too before I watched Gurren Lagann.

But yeah, give her a bit of time. Maybe show it to her when she really needs to be inspired. That's the kind of series that makes you want to run marathons.

Also, is Hulu blocked? Because if not, you could just show her all of One Piece and I think a lot of Fairy Tail.

I know what you mean. I am not a massive fan of mechs either but I really liked the characters in that show especially Kamina.

The parental controls is one of those things where it only allows a list of websites my parents must have entered so everything else is blocked.

K-on is widely available and fun and completely benign for a 10 year old to watch. Its a good choice. there is also a second season.

Yeah it seems like the perfect slice of life comedy show for teenage girls. Saw season 1 go for $30. Thats a good price right?

Steroyd

Similar situation with my sister, she would almost exclusively watch random slapstick comedy and Naruto, but lately she's been getting into a shoujo craze lately (Romcoms mostly).

I'd say Full Metal Panic would be a good starting point for mecha haters, if only because half of it is random school comedy stuff, as it's been told in lore, sugar helps the medicine go down.

Moonlight

Banned
I actually think Inuyasha might be a good pick for a ten year old. I certainly loved it when I was a kid.

EDIT: FMP! is not something to expose a ten year old to, I'm sorry.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Smile Precure] 48 & Final Impressions

Well I wasn't expecting that.
Other than that the animation in this episode was lacking in pretty much every front, unless you can be satisfied with beamspam sakuga. It seems like Toei did blow their wad early. All that remains is to watch the Smile movie.

That said...
93vMOq4.png
I don't want it to end guys! What am I gonna do now without Miyuki's ultra-happy and Akane's hot-blooded guts and Yayoi's timid moéness and Nao's straight-forward bout? It was thanks to Smile that BrocureGAF got together. I don't want to miss that when shitty DokiDoki begins. ;_; I haven't felt this sad since Digimon Tamers ended.

I really liked this show. It wasn't always the best-looking and that finale left a lot to be desired, but when it was throwing shit at the wall for comedic effect it worked earnestly. I feel this is a cartoon that I'm gonna remember very fondly in a few years, just as I didn't truly begin to appreciate Heartcatch until a little back ago. I'm gonna miss this cast so much. 4 out of 5 toy infomercials.
It was a joke. Obviously it contains "adult themes" and is generally well beyond the comprehension level of a ten year old, though there actually is little if any nudity and zero gore iirc.
Oh you!

Yeah it seems like the perfect slice of life comedy show for teenage girls. Saw season 1 go for $30. Thats a good price right?

For the full season on dvd right? I think that's what I payed for it when I got it. And yeah, if she likes it there's also the season 2 and the movie which is being released states side soon.

PsionBolt

When I was ten, I was watching Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, and Digimon Adventure. Therefore everyone else should too.

Things I've seen more recently that work include Princess Tutu, every Precure (especially Futari wa, which is dubbed), K-On, Bunny Drop, Heroman, My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo, Detective Conan, and Ryusei no Rockman.

For the full season on dvd right? I think that's what I payed for it when I got it. And yeah, if she likes it there's also the season 2 and the movie which is being released states side soon.

Yeah along with the soundtrack and OVA. I'm glad thats sorted. Now me or my parents don't have to deal with her temper tantrums every night. Thanks for the help.

Soul Eater was bloody as hell!

Nafe

I haven't heard any of Azusa's songs thus far (I don't think Smoky Thrill counts), so I can't make that call just yet, but Aoi Tori is miles ahead of any of the other inserts I've heard in this show.

I quite like Aoi Tori as well. I think the song nemurihime is also very nice.

Dagnabbit, Chuunibyou is going to make the top 10 list. Day ruined.

Since it's just more of an unofficial list, I think I'm more interested in just reading which shows people liked and perhaps why they liked them if they added any kind of writeup.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 4I love how this show uses music. What stuck out to me in particular was the scene with Mickey in the library talking to Jury. The song during this part was fucking beautiful. Exotic, serene, yet mysterious. Awesome shit.

I could be wrong but it came across that a lot of people didn't like this episode as much but personally I did. Maybe Ikuhara's type of humor is more of an acquired taste but I actually liked Nanami's over the top antics. You get to see a bit of the different techniques that Ikuhara seems to like as well, such as
a character doing or seeing something only to be just imagining it and then making an actual attempt just after perhaps or hoping their delusions come true when the person they're with is about to do or say something.

Did you watch Sailor Moon in the original Japanese? Some of the seiyuu from that show are present here. Such as Miki is voiced by Aya Hisakawa, who did the voice of Ami/Sailor Mercury and Juri is voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi, who did the voice of Usagi/Sailor Moon.

Asami Imai is the best. Yumi Hara is great too.

I actually quite like Asami Imai's natural speaking voice as well as her singing voice. She's pretty cute too!

I quite like Yumi Hara as well. I've only really heard her as Takane in The Idolm@ster and Yuuko in Dusk maiden of Amnesia. I'd personally like to here her in more roles. That's why something like Puchimas! is nice. I get more Idolm@ster plus more chances to hear her voice.

The iDOLM@STER - 14

This is one HELL of a power couple! Makoto's dashing looks, Takane's elegant, refined nature.. together make for an awe-gazing pair.

Now if only they actually had interactions with each other on a daily basis we'd be getting somewhere. At this time Takane's OTP in my eyes is Yukiho. ^_^

Hmm, I've forgotten this part but you're right! Makoto's tom-boyishness combined with Takane's elegant nature does make for a good combination. I quite like the colour contrast with the black and white there as well.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I still say Angelic Layer would be the perfect balance of shounen fighting and shoujo cuteness but why is it so fucking expensive now?! What in the hell? that show should be cheap and available to ALL :( Now I'm angry.

I...

I... I can't believe I forgot Angelic Layer... oh god... kill me now.

*commits seppuku*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know. I bought both volumes. Dug through the whole list for the CDs :)
It wasn't cheap. About the cost of one Ultimate Madoka figurine for four CDs.
It's why the Japanese rent CDs!
Seiji in Midori Days kind of did that too. Not as directly though.
Every time you bring that show up, I keep thinking about the other show with the puppies that people used to post that gif of all the time.

/XX/

If you thought the plot progress in this weeks Gintama was good it ain't nothing compared to this marvel. I literally cannot tell where the story is going.
I think they don't even know! Probably they meet up the day before uploading the video and just play together a little bit with a re-skinned version of Cartoon Maker before delivering the work!

Well, I'm excited, at least, due to the Sugii Gisaburo + Miyazawa Kenji combo that so far is 100% guaranteed to produce a masterpiece. Have you gotten word of any impressions about this film after its theatrical release yet?
Didn't have anyone I know that went to the festival to bring me some impressions I can specially trust, but from what I saw online at the moment I remember José Montaño liking it a good deal (http://contrapicado.net/2012/10/sitges-2012-cuatro-pinceladas-japonesas/), saying it "wasn't an overly sentimentalist" approach to the dramatic tale of the protagonist, but that maybe his integrity and resoluteness (without "internal conflicts") facing such life burdens can come as a little unbelievable (well, or at least strangely presented given the situation).

ZetaEpyon

I still say Angelic Layer would be the perfect balance of shounen fighting and shoujo cuteness but why is it so fucking expensive now?! What in the hell? that show should be cheap and available to ALL :( Now I'm angry.

It was an ADV license, and I'm not sure that anyone picked it up after ADV fell apart.

mAcOdIn

Cheers anime-gaf.
I say something like Taisho Yakyuu Masume, kinda wanna say Ghost Hunt too but one arc may be a tad much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Smile Precure] 48 & Final Impressions

Well I wasn't expecting that.
Other than that the animation in this episode was lacking in pretty much every front, unless you can be satisfied with beamspam sakuga. It seems like Toei did blow their wad early. All that remains is to watch the Smile movie.

That said...
I don't want it to end guys! What am I gonna do now without Miyuki's ultra-happy and Akane's hot-blooded guts and Yayoi's timid moéness and Nao's straight-forward bout? It was thanks to Smile that BrocureGAF got together. I don't want to miss that when shitty DokiDoki begins. ;_; I haven't felt this sad since Digimon Tamers ended.

I really liked this show. It wasn't always the best-looking and that finale left a lot to be desired, but when it was throwing shit at the wall for comedic effect it worked earnestly. I feel this is a show that I'm gonna remember a lot in a few years, just as I didn't truly begin to appreciate Heartcatch until a little back ago. I'm gonna miss this cast so much. 4 out of 5 toy infomercials.

This is such anti-hype...

Hmm, I've forgotten this part but you're right! Makoto's tom-boyishness combined with Takane's elegant nature does make for a good combination. I quite like the colour contrast with the black and white there as well.

I actually like Makoto as a character a lot, despite the fact that she's not the most talented. It's probably because of what you said is why I'm enjoying her.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 48 (END):

The first person to compare this to Madoka gets kicked in the teeth because Heartcatch did it first (and way better).

I'm dealing with some stuff right now and don't have the mental clarity to make a grand summarizing post, but.........augh, I can't believe it's over. Thanks for my weekly injection of happiness.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile Precure 48 (END):

The first person to compare this to Madoka gets kicked in the teeth because Heartcatch did it first (and way better).
Heartcatch explained it though. Smile just assumes you already watched the movie and know what the fuck happened, which is also how they dealt with the three Bad End generals. All in all, very sloppy storytelling.

I still cried buckets. ;_;

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The iDOLM@STER - 19

Takane looked amazing in that police uniform, and she has a pretty amazing singing voice. Creepy paparazzi dude got tossed like the trash that he is.

Looks like Chihaya's personal episode is next. Here comes the dorama.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I will say, Smile seems to be the most watched Precure show here. That's not saying much, but still. lol
Back when Heartcatch was airing only 7th and I were watching, a turn of events that I attribute to people's apparent disgust towards Umakoshi's character designs (...sigh). Smile's, on the other hand, are safer and cute enough to attract the cajunator/hnnngtastic audience in here.

Kagami

Vividred Operation 3

The apprehensions I had with the second episode have only gotten worse. It's like a bunch of "cool scenes" just glued together with little rhyme or reason. Somehow 24 minutes passed, but it feels like nothing happened.

So, obviously, this show is full of deliberate nonsense.
Akane crash lands, and Wakaba just goes over and assaults her with a sword. Akane turns out to be a super kendo master even without the palette suit, making her line about Wakaba finding out about her transformation meaningless. Wakaba doesn't need a single explanation about transforming, fighting the Alone, docking, their grandfather the weasel, anything. Their grandfather just appears out of nowhwere on top of Momo's head.
I'm sure this is supposed to be funny, some of it is probably parodies, so it's not that I'm complaining about a lack of realism, but the problem is instead of actually being funny it feels more like they figured throwing a bunch of nonsense together such that we'd make fun of it for being nonsense would in-and-of-itself be entertaining...but it isn't. (I retain faint hope that this show is smarter than I think it is and all of this will mean something later...)

I did like
Akane transforming in order to use the palette suit to fly to school. I was actually thinking about just that at the end of the first episode when she was walking to school, and the topic of using super powers for mundane tasks is a generally amusing thing, especially in modern magical girl shows where they typically only transform for combat.

It's pretty looking. Takamura's characters are cute. The hotpants uniforms are sexy. The transformations are cool. I appreciate the service shots. But it's hard to get immersed in this world, or even get attached to the characters, when it feels like the anime equivalent of a tech demo. (Maybe it is, considering all the 3D character work.)

Watching this shortly after episodes of Queen's Blade, another sexy-service battle anime, really shows how much better--or at least coherently--Queen's Blade is put together, even if Vividred has prettier animation.

I don't know, maybe there's some audience that appreciates what Vividred does, maybe there's genius here that I'm not getting, but it doesn't feel clever to me, just random.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven 34

UGH. When do I get a new OP? This one suuuuucks. Also, infinite death on Eureka's awful children, yadda yadda. Moon Doggy grows up into a man, and also I have to say that I enjoy the show not telling me right away what the history of Adrock, Diane, Holland and Eureka all is in one go, but over the course of the series. AW YEAH HOLLAND TELLS TALHO HER HAIR SUCKS. WHOA WAIT GO BACK TO THE PART WHERE TALHO IS---

Waaaaaaaaat. Also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat at Dewey's mini-golf course. There's still so much going on in the background of this show that I don't get!

But that alternate universe surfing scene still stings the most.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Back when Heartcatch was airing only 7th and I were watching, a turn of events that I attribute to people's apparent disgust towards Umakoshi's character designs (...sigh). Smile's, on the other hand, are safer and cute enough to attract the cajunator/hnnngtastic audience in here.
For me, having the whole cast in the beginning was what made Smile easier to get into. I stopped three episodes in with Suite and Heartcatch anyhow.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Heartcatch explained it though. Smile just assumes you already watched the movie and know what the fuck happened, which is also how they dealt with the three Bad End generals. All in all, very sloppy storytelling.

I still cried buckets. ;_;

I also like how you wouldn't even know that there was a final costume upgrade in the episode because the Princess Forms are already so fucking garish and busy that it would be impossible to spot the differences at first glance, especially with Smile's obsession with pouring buckets of bloom on everything any time someone powers up.

I watched Heartcatch because of the Umakoshi designs. I probably would have never touched the franchise otherwise, but it managed to get me at a vulnerable time in my life, and, welp, this is the result.

Zzzz. The two girls hate/tsuntsun each other and then learn to like each other. I can't even imagine how that dynamic could last for 20ish episodes!

That's Suite, not Heartcatch, dood.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Zzzz. The two girls hate/tsuntsun each other and then learn to like each other. I can't even imagine how that dynamic could last for 20ish episodes!
But that never happened. Even Tsubomi gets over her timidness around Erika quickly. Ah you are talking about Suite. Suite is shit.

I will admit that the filler episodes in Heartcatch are less fun than those in Smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom