• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

In Canada at least, there are no more rental chain stores. If you want to rent a movie, you have to go to a vending machine (or a local store that's probably a front for some crime :p).

And yes, of course he was!

Hrrmm... back home too, there are 0 rental stores (although that's because of piracy more than anything) but I think Japan is quite unique in this regard. Probably has to do with their love for physical goods more than anything.

What? Really? did Leo captured that image in that movie?

I hope that wasn't a spoiler but it came as a shock to me. I only know of him as the powerful head of the FBI. Yeah, Leo was pretty good in it. I actually picked the movie up because he was in it and I've enjoyed pretty much all his recent work. It was a weird experience.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's not what I said...

I mean I think it's kinda silly to complain about character introductions not happening fast enough, but w/e

I'm not denying that the outer senshi are legitimate sailor senshi, just that I wouldn't use them to illustrate an example of a mahou shoujo taking a really long time to introduce its main cast because they're technically not main characters and are functionally very different from the others.

faridmon

I hope that wasn't a spoiler but it came as a shock to me. I only know of him as the powerful head of the FBI. Yeah, Leo was pretty good in it. I actually picked the movie up because he was in it and I've enjoyed pretty much all his recent work. It was a weird experience.

I have to watch it sometimes. I am big fan of Di Caprios acting, but I missed it when it was in the movies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's a shame considering almost every complaint you had with Smile's finale is addressed in Heartcatch's.
I feel like that's more Smile being shortchanged more than anything else. :(
I wonder if it's the least popular Precure or something.

Yep thats why Smile is the best. Cut the terrible One Piece level shit where it takes forever to get the entire cast assembled.
Knowing nothing about the next Precure, I hope they just have the entire team ready up front.

Hrrmm... back home too, there are 0 rental stores (although that's because of piracy more than anything) but I think Japan is quite unique in this regard. Probably has to do with their love for physical goods more than anything.
Yeah, in the Philippines I assume it's because you can buy DVDs for a buck. lol
I remember CD renting being a big thing in Malaysia, but that's like 15 years ago.

We still have video rental stores in the places I live in, though I did learn over winter break that pizza shops in the abandoned industrial wastelands around Cleveland, OH are all nothing more than a front for drug sales.

Certainly a childhood-killing moment right there.
Well, I know that there are hipster rental stores around Toronto at least. There's a store that has the entire Criterion catalog available to rent, for example. But the two major chains in Canada have since gone out of business.
It's all about flixing of the net and high volume rental of popular titles via vending machines. Redbox is finally rolling out in Canada, although they've chose to service the burbs first it seems.

cajunator

Banned
If any of you can find this picture without the sample over it or can edit it out I will love you forever and ever!
qYq15OD.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Don't worry it's as much of a spoiler as the fact that the Titanic sinks into the ocean in the end.

Didn't enjoy the movie much myself. I don't mind Oscar bait movies but I really don't like it when its so blatantly obvious about it.

Theonik

Yep thats why Smile is the best. Cut the terrible One Piece level shit where it takes forever to get the entire cast assembled.
It's better that way actually. Smile's introductions are some of the worst anime episodes I've seen in recent memory and I've seen some shit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

That would almost certainly be Splash Star if you go by fandom, or I guess Suite if you go by ratings.

Knowing nothing about the next Precure, I hope they just have the entire team ready up front.

In Heartcatch, the two midseason additions are already cast members almost from the beginning, they just don't become Precure immediately. It's really handled just fine!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Smile Precure 48

And so I say farewell to this series, keeping a smile on my face all the while.

...oh my, it seems like it's started to rain.

I feel bad, because I was hoping for a
:firehawk
ending but I knew they wouldn't be able to do that. I was probably thinking too much during all the
crying scenes
. lol

That would almost certainly be Splash Star if you go by fandom, or I guess Suite if you go by ratings.
So who gets the blame for a shorter season?!
In Heartcatch, the two midseason additions are already cast members almost from the beginning, they just don't become Precure immediately. It's really handled just fine!
Well, technically in Suite, the
third memberis there from the beginning too. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It got an amazing run of five well-animated episodes just before. This is just Toei being Toei. Their budgets are really ridiculous.

I would at least suggest you watch Heartcatch 45 through 49 so that you get why we hype that one so much.

zeroshiki

Don't worry it's as much of a spoiler as the fact that the Titanic sinks into the ocean in the end.

Didn't enjoy the movie much myself. I don't mind Oscar bait movies but I really don't like it when its so blatantly obvious about it.

The worst Oscar bait movie I've ever seen is the one with the autistic kid with the ghost dad who died in 9/11.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The worst Oscar bait movie I've ever seen is the one with the autistic kid with the ghost dad who died in 9/11.
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close!

It got an amazing run of five well-animated episodes just before. This is just Toei being Toei. Their budgets are really ridiculous.

I would at least suggest you watch Heartcatch 45 through 49 so that you get why we hype that one so much.
Maybe I'll do that. I'm planning to just watch the final episode of the SyFy shows from this year anyway. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So who gets the blame for a shorter season?!

Toei. They don't air episodes when holidays fall on Sundays, so it's all determined by the calendar. Fresh holds the record at 51 episodes, I think. (the show also looked like ass through its entire run)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Toei. They don't air episodes when holidays fall on Sundays, so it's all determined by the calendar. Fresh holds the record at 51 episodes, I think.
Man, so it's just a shitty year? lol

I'd say they should have cut some of the filler episodes... but I think most of them were pretty great.

I wish Daijobu was in the finale :(

Articalys

If any of you can find this picture without the sample over it or can edit it out I will love you forever and ever!
http://i.imgur.com/qYq15OD.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
It's a promo image for a [URL="http://www.suruga-ya.jp/database/pics/game/608044807.jpg"]keychain[/URL] so I don't know if a large clean version actually exists somewhere -- [URL="http://www.hobbystock.jp/goods_img/hso-ccg-00000129.6.jpg"]this[/URL] has a slightly less obnoxious "sample" that might be easier to clean up, or there's always this clean smaller avatar size one.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NkZMp1x.png

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, technically in Suite, the
third memberis there from the beginning too. :p

Watch Fresh for a
villain conversion
done satisfyingly.

Also, the fourth Cure was also in Suite from the beginning, but only as a worthless background character/Tuxedo Mask bailout device.
Cure Muse's
eventual integration ends up being a terrible cockup, it's just horrible :lol

Man, so it's just a shitty year? lol

I'd say they should have cut some of the filler episodes... but I think most of them were pretty great.

I wish Daijobu was in the finale :(

Well, that and FUCK THE OLYMPICS of course.

Dude, filler episodes are half of the fun. Watching Precure you never know if this week's episode is going to be great or shitacular, it's always a surprise.

Syrinx

When people say a movie is "Oscar bait", what exactly do they mean? And what was so bad about Extremely Loud and whatever (haven't seen it)?

wonzo

Banned
Ixion Saga DT 16

ixionsagadt16.jpg

Look at the face of the worlds most ineffective sadist snowman turned hitman. I'm looking forward to how they're gonna troll us all next week.

zeroshiki

When people say a movie is "Oscar bait", what exactly do they mean? And what was so bad about Extremely Loud and whatever (haven't seen it)?

Its a movie made specifically to appeal to the people who vote for the Academy Awards eschewing stuff that actually make a movie good. This could mean alot of things but the recent approaches have been LGBT or reallysadevent.

Now, Academy voters are total morons so most of the time, there is a convergence between Oscar bait and actual good movies but sometimes, you can see how much the producers were trying to get that nomination.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I usually like the Key-shit level movies (I saw Descendants and thought Clooney was great in it!) and I usually like Tom Hanks but that movie was taking it waaaaay too far.
Well, when you say 9/11 movie, you sort of know what to expect. Even Oliver Stone couldn't resist making one of these movies.

Watch Fresh for a
villain conversion
done satisfyingly.

Also, the fourth Cure was also in Suite from the beginning, but only as a worthless background character/Tuxedo Mask bailout device.
Cure Muse's
eventual integration ends up being a terrible cockup, it's just horrible :lol
I feel bad for the girls in Suite. They don't get to cash in like the other casts. lol

Well, that and FUCK THE OLYMPICS of course.

Dude, filler episodes are half of the fun. Watching Precure you never know if this week's episode is going to be great or shitacular, it's always a surprise.
Oh right, the sports balls. They could have had Sunny go to England with Daijobu for some tie in episodes. :(

I just feel like they probably could have used even one extra episode to have a more satisfying ending. I guess there's probably an episode in the Smile run that they could have cut to make that happen, but I can't really think of one.

Sora no Woto 9 (rewatch)

Noel's moeness and Klause's manliness make for a fine episode. Kureha was also pretty great in this, and I feel like she's the only main character in the show that was really neglected in character development.

Gundam AGE 13-15 or "I'm getting an odd sense of dejavu". The End of Gen 1.

I'm dropping this show

Is what I would not say whatsoever because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Anyway these episodes were basically the last 7ish episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam only now:

- It's 3 episodes long. So it's more rushed.
- Has the characters from Gundam AGE. So I have no sympathy for anything that happens to them.
- Is more hilarious. See above.

So yeah that prediction I made in the last post got it abolutely correct, why? It's because this was really predictable. What made it even more funny was
Yurin couldn't do anything about it, the fake Qubeley did all this stuff on it's own.

Also finally they reveal the intensions of the UE or Vegans (or something similar to that),
turned out they got treated really bad so they wanted revenge. It's actually a lot like what Flit and Grodek have been fighting for as well actually. Small world isn't it.

I will continue this tommorow and see what stupid antics go on next time in the Advanced Generation!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The silly juuyonsei antics are often better than just another monster of the week plot.

Firehawk: 1, 2, 3, 7, 10, 13, 17, 20, 23, 24, 27, 31, 32, 33, 34, 37, 38, 40, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, and 49 are basically Heartcatch without the filler, including all the Cure introductions and power upgrades.

SMILE PRECURE 48
Amount of water used while making this episode : 541 liters !

Seriously so much crying.

Well when i saw the first attack the precures made in episode 48 i knew that any attempt for something complex wouldn't happen. For a final episode to use so much beam spamming and reused footage ... it feels weird.
Smile.Precure%21.48.jpg

Well please smile then

The power of hope won and well there is not even some change that would have been done by the heroines because of the separation , no they are still the same but with one specific change ... they now have hope for the future.. Seeing how this status quo was broken and a wish upon the stars happened and the painfull a profond memory that could have driven them all in their future lives is retconned because .... just because.
What was the point of making 2 lenghty crying scenes ..if you're gonna retcon it 6 minutes afterwards. Take some notes from the original serie "futari wa precure". That's how they should have done that. It had impact , this events resulted in a change in the main characters .. and it had an impact as a plot device.. yet it retained a good end vibe perfectly

i may seem like i'm complaining but i think this ending is exactly what smile is ... good ideas and good episodes but without a straight goal and at times it misses opportunities and wander too much.
This final episode is much better than "suite" but is seriously lackluster when you put heartcatch or splash star in the mix.it is however much better than the 2 seasons of yes precure combined.

WHY a HUG ? Why 3 different crying scenes !!!!

About the entire smile precure season

It seems like toei listened to the complains after yes precure and proposed us a much better version. Only 2 mascots ( that don't transform , except one that is never there except when the plot asks for it ) , a greater focus on the characters and sometimes it works ( yayoi , nao , miyuki, joker, majorina ) and sometimes it doesn't ( reika in particular didn't shine as much as she could have ).

Smile precure however had genuily awesome episodes and you feel like they trully wanted to change some things. The mid season finale was astonishing. And the characters arcs before the final part were a good idea. ( that they didn't expand on to provide a true finale ...why TOEI ? WHY ?)

They did missed the opportunity to let us see the precure fight in princess mode.. This is so disapointing considering how many weeks they hyped us for this transformation. Then it happens , it's awesome yet they limit us to a finisher. In a similar fashion , after joker hinted us So many times about candy power , why does it happen so late ?
There are many things in this season so under used.

The smile precure world is ok , but is lacking in auxilliary characters.
I'm not asking them to put too many characters that you're lost ( like suite ) but an ok amount like heartcatch or splash star or the original serie. It's important to focus on the heroines but sometimes it feels like only them matter in this world and the few characters that aren't cure are really underused ( reika family, their other classmates, other potential meeting they could have ) it's a definitive first and in the end the cures are fighting for themselves for their future but not really for protecting "everyone" is the wide sense of the word and for miracle warriors it's yet another aspect that i find disapointing about everyone characterisation.

The bad guys were ok , wolfrun , oni , marjorina were "ok" and did their job , the relationships everyone had and the rivalities were good. it seems like they should have a fifth antagonist because they reused some characters too much. However joker was trully an awesome character because he had "style" , he had power , he had an excellent 22 episode and is one of the main reason to watch smile precure without a doubt...too bad his motives were left unexplained in the end.
I mean really ?So much build-up and nothing in the end. 3 turned out to be
fairies corrupted
. Fine i can accept that . And joker ? Where does he come from ? was his goal trully to be
"one with pierrot"
? Really ? That's it ?

Why so much talking in the 2 final episodes. Was talk + beam spamming really what should have been done with this season finale ? After one episode by heroine , when they discover a new power by not giving up , they all fall appart crying when the final battle is not even over yet ?

I really think that smile precure is a good season ... above average at least, but with so many missteps it's hard to put it any higher than the 4th best precure seaon for me. Too many things were missing in this season and while the best things in smile precure where really good. There are some things that scream "wasted potential" to me.

R_thanatos Precure seasons ranking
  • Heartcatch
  • Splashstar
  • Futariwa precure
  • Smile precure
  • Fresh precure
  • Futariwa precure Max heart
  • Yes pretty cure gogo
  • Suite precure
  • Yes pretty cure

Man i typed a lot :
mxKIW.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sora no Woto 9 (rewatch)

Noel's moeness and Klause's manliness make for a fine episode. Kureha was also pretty great in this, and I feel like she's the only main character in the show that was really neglected in character development.
You know, I never quite understood why the hook shot didn't go where it was intended and almost smashed Klause in the face. But hey, it justifies the ending. lol

Makes me wonder what the Japanese public library system carries.
Probably just books and newspapers!

Movies that are bait for Oscars, of course.

They're usually maudlin, overly manipulative dramatic adaptations of true life stories that play things extremely safe and teach us life lessons we all already knew about race, disabled people, the Holocaust, or maybe gays if you're feeling a bit gutsy.

Except for Hurt Locker. I really don't know how that movie won. lol

Syrinx

Its a movie made specifically to appeal to the people who vote for the Academy Awards eschewing stuff that actually make a movie good. This could mean alot of things but the recent approaches have been LGBT or reallysadevent.

Now, Academy voters are total morons so most of the time, there is a convergence between Oscar bait and actual good movies but sometimes, you can see how much the producers were trying to get that nomination.

Movies that are bait for Oscars, of course.

They're usually maudlin, overly manipulative dramatic adaptations of true life stories that play things extremely safe and teach us life lessons we all already knew about race, disabled people, the Holocaust, or maybe gays if you're feeling a bit gutsy.

Alright, I think I get it. I've seen people complain a lot about "Crash". Is that one of those Oscar-bait movies?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
R_thanatos Precure seasons ranking

• Heartcatch
  • Splashstar
  • Futariwa precure
  • Smile precure
  • Fresh precure
  • Futariwa precure Max heart
  • Yes pretty cure gogo
  • Suite precure
  • Yes pretty cure
Is Futari wa the only one available in crunchyroll or similar services? I might catch up on that one as DokiDoki fails to deliver.

Is Futari wa the only one available in crunchyroll or similar services? I might catch up on that one as DokiDoki fails to deliver.

Futariwa is up there because of nostalgia. it's the Season that started it all ..with plenty of hand holdings , and devious power-ups and a supporting cast that let the heroines be themselves.
it also had one of the most horrible mascot of the franchise but that's another subject.

Ps: to everyone . the last 5 episode of splash star destroy heartcatch ending IMO but heartcatch is higher by the sheer amount of episodes with better fights.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The iDOLM@STER - 20

I blame Smile for softening me up, because this episode got me right in the feels. I don't know whether I should be more blown away by Chihaya's powerful, emotional performance or her
smile
. Wow.

And yeah, #1 OTP at this time is HarukaxChihaya.

Updated List:
  1. Azusa
  2. Makoto
  3. Chihaya
  4. Haruka
  5. Miki
  6. Takane
  7. Yukiho
  8. Ami&Mami
  9. Hibiki
  10. Iori
  11. Yayoi

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The iDOLM@STER - 20

I blame Smile for softening me up, because this episode got me right in the feels. I don't know whether I should be more blown away by Chihaya's powerful, emotional performance or her
smile
. Wow.

And yeah, #1 OTP at this time is HarukaxChihaya.

Agreed! :D I admit, I cried.

Articalys

I almost would have rather been ignored for once than just brushed off like that. Sheesh...
At the very least why don't you get Zel to redo the higher-res pic...

Moonlight

Banned
The Idolm@ster Episode 10

That was pretty good, all things considered. Probably the best ensemble episode yet. A lot I feel like I should talk about, as I think their ability to manage the cast improves with each episode. Not to say that I could imagine there being a point where they could overtake the more focused episodes in quality of characterization, but they're certainly more enjoyable now than they were before. The idea of the episode - idol track team event - was pretty silly, but served as a vehicle for some fairly entertaining scenarios. It seems pretty in line with the utter absurdity of Japanese televised culture, though.

Those rival idols sure were sour apples, though. Talk about poor sportsmanship. Although, I
don't know what their producer was trying to pull with that 'let us win' stuff. There wasn't even a carrot or a stick for 765, so I dunno why he expected anything else.
Led to a surprisingly good moment from Iori, though. Especially given the fact all her behavior prior in this episode was a torch to most of the good will she'd built up from episode seven. It was pretty satisfying to see her
take that rival producer to town
. Makoto was the real MVP though, in every regard. Pushing through
her injury
and taking home the trophy for the team has only further proven that she is one of the best Idolm@ster characters.

tl;dr

S Rank
Makoto
Chihaya

A+ Rank
Azusa

A Rank
Miki
Haruka

B Rank
Hibiki
Iori
Takane

D Rank
Ami and Mami
Yayoi

F Rank
Yukiho

EDIT:

1. Azusa
  2. Makoto
  3. Chihaya
  4. Haruka
  5. Miki
  6. Takane
  7. Yukiho
  8. Ami&Mami
  9. Hibiki
  10. Iori
  11. Yayoi
Now this is a list I can get behind.

cajunator

Banned
I almost would have rather been ignored for once than just brushed off like that. Sheesh...
At the very least why don't you get Zel to redo the higher-res pic...
zel posted it just below. Im on mobile so I just saw the fixed pic and got excited.
Articalys you are very valuable to this community.

Articalys

0pafCh9.png

Keep on truckin'.
zel posted it just below. Im on mobile so I just saw the fixed pic and got excited.
Articalys you are very valuable to this community.
Of course you'd react to the proper edit, so would I, it just felt like your comment on quoting me was along the lines of "anyone want to actually do what I asked instead of this loser?"

Anyway, whatever. I'm just doing to drop this before it gets stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom