• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

And this is why Sunrise are secret geniuses. Look at how skilfully they've been able to directly appeal to multiple target demographics in their most popular shows! They even successfully cater to old-school fans with Unicorn and not just in a way where the fans are appeased, they actually buy a crap-ton of copies of Unicorn.

Yeah but who did Age appeal to?

Instro

Bow to the true overlord.

36HuG2x.jpg

hKTWeBd.gif

Jex

Yeah but who did Age appeal to?

That's a good question, and I don't rightly know. I understand that they were presumably looking to broaden their audience and 'get em while they're young', as it were. Obviously this didn't work out but I suppose on paper getting Akihiro Hino's input seemed like a really good idea.

In the end it was a risk, one that didn't pay off. By the same token, I understand that some elements at Sunrise were against the Tiger and Bunny project but that turned out to be a huge success, suggesting that sometimes the risks will pay-off. At the same time they put out otaku-material like Horizon to great success.

zeroshiki

That's a good question, and I don't rightly know. I understand that they were presumably looking to broaden their audience and 'get em while they're young', as it were. Obviously this didn't work out but I suppose on paper getting Akihiro Hino's input seemed like a really good idea.

In the end it was a risk, one that didn't pay off. By the same token, I understand that some elements at Sunrise were against the Tiger and Bunny project but that turned out to be a huge success, suggesting that sometimes the risks will pay-off. At the same time they put out otaku-material like Horizon to great success.

Age appealed to no one and most likely damaged their Gundam brand. While Gundam still has the story and everything and that won't go away soon, I would wager that something like Code Geass holds more cache to fans nowadays than the Gundam name.

Dresden

yama no susume - 04

I suppose there isn't much trickery to exhibit with a sleeping bag. The tent-pole display in episode two will be forever unmatched.

The ground it covers in these three-minute chunks is pretty surprising stuff. Truly, the future of anime.

Branduil

Black Rock Shooter TV really is amazing in retrospect. It's hard to think of many other series that consistently outcrazy themselves in the same way. I guess it's a good thing it's only eight episodes because I don't think Okada could have kept that up much longer.

Dresden

Age appealed to no one and most likely damaged their Gundam brand. While Gundam still has the story and everything and that won't go away soon, I would wager that something like Code Geass holds more cache to fans nowadays than the Gundam name.

Considering the sales for Unicorn + the appeal of the various non-anime projects, I highly doubt this. AGE is just going to be a forgettable footnote in gundam history.

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of candy, does anybody actually buy Crunch bars? Crunch bars aren't bad, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen somebody choose a Crunch bar when there's so many better choices.

I enjoy nestle crunch bars over many others.

Can we at least agree that Mounds and Almond Joy should be eradicated and that people who eat them should have snotty comments made in their direction?
Sorry, thats my favorite chocolate candy.

duckroll

Gundam AGE didn't damage the Gundam brand. What it did damage was the commerical potential that the Gundam brand had in the year it aired. If they released a Gundam series which didn't have zero appeal, then they would have sold more model kits, more videogames, more DVD/BDs, and so on. Instead they didn't, so it's a wasted opportunity. That's a whole year of potentially higher profits which they didn't get.

That's all the damage AGE did. When the next Gundam series comes around, no one will go "I'm going to avoid this because AGE sucked." but rather they'll judge it based on the appeal that actual series has. That's the way it has always been with Gundam.

zeroshiki

Gundam AGE didn't damage the Gundam brand. What it did damage was the commerical potential that the Gundam brand had in the year it aired. If they released a Gundam series which didn't have zero appeal, then they would have sold more model kits, more videogames, more DVD/BDs, and so on. Instead they didn't, so it's a wasted opportunity. That's a whole year of potentially higher profits which they didn't get.

That's all the damage AGE did. When the next Gundam series comes around, no one will go "I'm going to avoid this because AGE sucked." but rather they'll judge it based on the appeal that actual series has. That's the way it has always been with Gundam.

Wouldn't you say that someone who isn't hardcore otaku would be put off in trying a hypothetical new Gundam series because they've been burned with 00 S2 and Age consecutively? That's a long time that Gundam has been mediocre.

I'm not denying the historical patterns of Gundam but Age's objective was to appeal to a new demographic and that flamed out miserably. But the fact remains that they can't keep going to the same well over and over.

Dresden

sasami-san - 03

Oh hey, let's kick off the episode with a lengthy seven-minute schpiel about the shallow interpolation of mythic identities with that of moe highschool girls. It's so lazy that the context for these explanations happening is that of an in-universe report Sasami is writing for . . . who?

Then (nsfw) this happens. Didn't get past the ten minute mark. Dropped for the second time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm gonna end up picking this up, aren't I?
You might as well give in. lol

This being Yamada/Yoshida, I'm sure they'll deal with it by acknowledging the passage of time and about the internalization of grief in a, well, graceful way. The episodes so far have focused on how life moves and how Tamako has appropriated the people around her as her extended family, anyways.
:firehawk

duckroll

Wouldn't you say that someone who isn't hardcore otaku would be put off in trying a hypothetical new Gundam series because they've been burned with 00 S2 and Age consecutively? That's a long time that Gundam has been mediocre.

I'm not denying the historical patterns of Gundam but Age's objective was to appeal to a new demographic and that flamed out miserably. But the fact remains that they can't keep going to the same well over and over.

No, because people actually liked Gundam 00, just like people liked Gundam SEED Destiny. Gundam is a very broad brand which attracts a lot of different audiences. Are the people who like Gundam SEED Destiny the same people who like Gundam 00 S2? Who knows. Are the people who disliked Gundam 00 S2 the same people who disliked Gundam AGE? Uncertain. Are the same people watching every installment of Gundam? Definitely not.

I would say it's more likely that Gundam AGE performed extremely poorly because no one was really interested in it, as opposed to people watching it all the way to the end and getting really pissed off. In this event, it would simply mean that Gundam AGE failed to capture an audience. As such, there is no longstanding damage to the overall franchise brand, since it is a single component of the franchise which had no cachet whatsoever.

Let's not forget. The Gundam 00 movie did pretty well, so the idea that "Gundam fans" are getting burned one series after another is simply not true. The people who are most displeased with stuff like Gundam SEED Destiny and Gundam 00 S2/Movie are likely the same people who are rather content with Gundam Unicorn and looking forward to Gundam the Origin. They are likely also the people who are playing Gundam Extreme Versus.

The thing about the Gundam brand is that it is so wide, it caters to a huge range of age groups and tastes. Just because there is a vocal group of fans who dislike one part of the franchise does not mean that part is unsuccessful. Gundam AGE is definitely unsuccessful, but it won't have much impact. It only shows that there isn't much potential in building a serious Gundam series targeted at kids.

Let's not forget that Turn-A Gundam is also a financial failure even though it was critically acclaimed. Gundam X was also suffering from awful ratings and had low interest, so much so that it was cut short from the planned run. These all happened over a decade ago. The Gundam brand hasn't suffered from it.

Part of the risk of trying different things with each series is that success is not always assured, but at the same time, by diversifying the brand it also insures against a failure having impact on the other more successful parts of the brand.

Articalys

Robotics;Notes 15

I saw that twist coming just barely before they revealed it. They're running out of characters to have focus episodes on, so we should be closing in exclusively on the main plot route soon.

cajunator

Banned

Gundam has such ginormous mindshare they could afford several duds before people would even consider abandoning it.

I'm playing P4 for the first time and I gotta admit, I'm morbidly curious about the anime. I get the feeling that I'd enjoy it despite how awful it is objectively.

It is loaded with fanservice and turns the very concept of silent protagonist on its head. Pretty not good otherwise, but as a very large fan of the game, that was enough for me.

Defuser

Robotics;Note ep 15
Well uhhh, that could consider as "IT'S HAPPENING".....maybe

Airi route is done. Now is Junna route and then Akiho route.

Thoraxes

I'm playing P4 for the first time and I gotta admit, I'm morbidly curious about the anime. I get the feeling that I'd enjoy it despite how awful it is objectively.

When you finish the game, watch the anime. I really liked the anime a lot because of how awesome they made the broswagonist, and then the obvious fan service because it is based off a game.

Pimp as Fuck 2012 award easily goes to him though. So much swag.

dumbyugi

Kotura-san 4

This really felt like a final episode, especially the last few minutes. I hope that the mother drama isn't being kept for the end, though that seems likely to me.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

cajunator

Banned
PES: Peace Eco Smile 2-7 -END-

Heh. I had completely forgotten about this.

It's nothing really special, obviously, but it's not as bad as you would expect, either. I mean, it's not common for car advertisements to feature stuff like fanservice, NTR, and fujoshi-bait scenes, so it's at the very least an interesting experience. Besides, while the use of CG was pretty terrible, some shots looked nice.

In the end it really is nothing more than an ad, though.
Horrible ad for a horrible car from a horrible company.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
When you finish the game, watch the anime. I really liked the anime a lot because of how awesome they made the broswagonist, and then the obvious fan service because it is based off a game.

Pimp as Fuck 2012 award easily goes to him though. So much swag.

I won't lie: I wasn't expecting the guy to have this much swag right off the bat.

"I just fought some ugly monsters in a bizarre world with my newly-acquired unkown power. What to do now? Smile at the camera like a boss."

Thoraxes

I won't lie: I wasn't expecting the guy to have this much swag right off the bat.

"I just fought some ugly monsters in a bizarre world with my newly-acquired unkown power. What to do now? Smile at the camera like a boss."

Oh man I know. I remember being one of those worry-warts before the show started too.

Also gives me a lot of faith for the DS2 adaptation too. At the very least it's gonna be fun.

Dresden

from the new world - 10

Some really striking art this episode - the steady progression of the house falling to ruin, on the lake, ending with
Shun's death.
Kenji Matsumoto is such a bro. Yamauchi benefits from his association so much (and since people were talking about Yumekui Merry earlier, the beautiful in-dream art is one of the highlights of that show).

It was kind of a mixed bag - I don't think the explanation about the syndrome worked well, and it's even acknowledged with Saki cutting to what everyone already wants to know, yet knows already. But everything after Subaru's appearance got me pretty hard. Something about the twisting of the familiar, it's an easy target to hit but it hits so hard.

Defuser

Persona 4 The Animation may have terrible battles but the comedy and Broswagonist makes up for everything.

AIC knows how to do a silent protagonist. Look at this guy, not a single fuck is given.

KSbxz7cl.jpg

Branduil

from the new world - 10

Some really striking art this episode - the steady progression of the house falling to ruin, on the lake, ending with
Shun's death.
Kenji Matsumoto is such a bro. Yamauchi benefits from his association so much (and since people were talking about Yumekui Merry earlier, the beautiful in-dream art is one of the highlights of that show).

It was kind of a mixed bag - I don't think the explanation about the syndrome worked well, and it's even acknowledged with Saki cutting to what everyone already wants to know, yet knows already. But everything after Subaru's appearance got me pretty hard. Something about the twisting of the familiar, it's an easy target to hit but it hits so hard.

I feel like the next episode twists harder.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Black Rock Shooter TV 2

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I'm enjoying this. In a "holy shit this is pure insanity" way, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom