• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

Dynamite in the Brain episode 76: In this episode the usual crew plus Niall Flanagan and Dwayne Moloney review the 'Phantom Blood' arc of Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure. They don't really have anything particularly insightful to say about the series but the section at the end of the podcast where Brian unleashed his quiz was excellent. For those who don't listen to the podcast, which I assume is, er, everyone, from time to time Brian will come up with some humorous quiz to test his fellow hosts with. Usually these are fairly creative but something about this weeks quiz really tickled me. It was called JoJo vs No No and I won't explain what the hell it involves because that would ruin the fun for anyone who decided to listen to the episode.

I actually listen to DitB. This weeks episode, which didn't have a quiz, unfortunately, was pretty amusing as Brian made Ant watch magical girl shows from across the decades.

Dresden

I'm still amazed that GJ-bu has more preorders then Tamako.

It doesn't have more, but it's certainly a higher rank. It won't sell more, but it doesn't bode well for Tamako...

Shows above Tamako this season, atm:

Vividred
Love Live
Encouragement of Climb
OreShura
GJ-Bu
Haganai NEXT
MMY
Kotoura-san
AKB0048
Hetalia
--Tamako Market

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Chihayafuru 2: The Karutaing 03

Amazing episode. Also loved the new music that played around the 17 min. mark. That's some real shounen shit.

Is that some netorare potential I see with Arata and the Queen? OMFG YES

cajunator

Banned
KyoAni can absorb the occasional bomba. The money is still flooding in from K-On merchandise amongst other things. Probably still making bank from Haruhi and Lucky Star too.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sadly if it's bomba-ing it's probably because it's an original and not based on something with an existing fanbase like Nich-....

... fuck. ;_;

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sadly if it's bomba-ing it's probably because it's an original and not based on something with an existing fanbase like Nich-....

... fuck. ;_;

;____;

3ohCqIo.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I must have forgotten that episode. Got a number? I don't mind the usage of it since it's one of my favourite melodies from the show. It would be like complaining about the use of Waltz for Zizi in Cowboy Bebop.
I want to say it was the fake Gundam arc, because you could almost feel the troll coming (because
why would they write off Elizabeth?
), but if it wasn't, it was definitely an episode along those lines.

Well my mic is crap (built in Macbook one) so I'd have to pass until I have enough incentive to buy a decent one that doesn't make me sound shit.
I used that as a back up once. It works surprisingly well. lol

Mine is READY (karaoke) from iDOLM@STER for similar reasons.
So every time your phone rings, people are asked if they are lady?

Turned on QIXL and realised it is the episode where poor old Bill Baily died.

RIP Bill.
Oh god, I forgot this t-shirt. lol

CUTICLE TANTEI INABA - 05
It's been a while since i saw a hot spring episode that made me laugh like that ..

Good job i guess.

Ps: Kyo-ani should just animate another season of fumoffu if they want my support !

Theonik

Thing is, he could probably live the rest of life from the Eva royalties and he'd be okay with that. Well, maybe with one or two Nissan ads on the side...
Oh yeah good on him really. *insert link of Anno in his oversized by Japanese standards house not giving a fuck interviewing in pyjamas*

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Pander this, pander that.

You know it could just be that there aren't a lot of people who think its a good show or one worth owning.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I stopped watching in episode two so not really, but it was nowhere near as cynical in its otaku pandering as Chuu2.
Well sure, but Chuu2 is pretty off the charts when it comes to that. Not much else can compete.

Shergal

Tamako Market also practically wasn't marketed. It was announced in the middle of a Chuu2 episode 1 month away from airing, and there was very little in the way of promoting it. Hyouka and Chuu2 which were more heavily marketed and brought to attention from the beginning (especially Chuu2).

Jex

[Serial Experiments Lain] - 1

Well, I figured that it's been weeks since by BD's actually arrived so I should probably get around to re-watching the series. I've been putting it off for a while because I knew that a show as serious and complicated as this would require all my attention. Furthermore I realise that writing about the show would require a great deal of effort as there's not much point watching a show this popular and not trying to say anything interesting about it.

Still, I haven't actually had the time to make a proper post about this episode so all I have left are impressions.

The first thing that springs to mind when watching this is: if this was released today it would be an From the New World level failure. This series is far too bizarre and inscrutable to have any kind of mass market appeal. Yet, somehow, when this series was released overseas it was a sizeable hit and attracted a very large fanbase for reasons that still boggle me to do this day. I mean, I know that a certain portion of the fanbase presumably have some kind of creepy attraction/interest in Lain herself but as far as characters go she really uninteresting and not cute at all. Beyond that I guess it just rode that Matrix wave right into success station.

On the production quality front, not only does the remaster of this series look good it sounds good. This is actually far more important than it is for most shows because a great deal of effort was clearly put into producing a rich 'audioscape' for this world. I probably never noticed this the first time I watched this series because my speakers were rubbish but listening to it today I can't help but notice how powerful and oppressive the audio is. It reminds me of a horror movie, or playing Dead Space with my headphones on.

With the weird, hallucinatory visuals and the incredible audio design I was starting to think this almost feels like a work that Mamoru Oshii would make if he made a TV series that was nothing but weird shit happening. Then I realised that actually it was far more like Ghost Hound. What I didn't realise, somehow, was that the director Ryutaro Nakamura is actually the director of Ghost Hound and now everything makes a lot more sense.

Mitsuho

Banned
Haganai 1-5: I like it. Good variety in the harem.
Accel World 6-10: Kind of fun but not really a strong plot.
Brotherhood 1-4: Thinking of dropping here. Just more of the same as season 1.

Jex

Brotherhood 1-4: Thinking of dropping here. Just more of the same as season 1.
Well, you are in the material that is the same as season one. You should probably at least move to the point where they diverge and see how you like it from there.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Robotics;Notes 15

*Sigh*

Back to boring.

Magi 16

And this show has officially crossed the border into hatewatch territory. What a turd. Both protagonists are insufferable beyond reason. The villain who keeps throwing line after line of exposition just won't shut the hell up. Every single important event happens for either completely stupid reasons or due to deus ex machina. The sound direction is a complete joke. The visuals are pure shit (what the hell is this, and why can't they decide how Alibaba's djinn equip looks like?).

So Alibaba's sword gets smashed, like this:

In the following two minutes, the same sword is portrayed, in order: broken in a completely different way; with a little dent/completely fixed; back to broken in half; completely fixed; and finally broken like this again.

This is not nitpicking. This shit happens in the span of two minutes. The animators and the director are basically screaming at the viewers, "Hey, look how fucking incompetent we are!"

And to think this was the arc everyone was hyping up.

Branduil

[Serial Experiments Lain] - 1

Well, I figured that it's been weeks since by BD's actually arrived so I should probably get around to re-watching the series. I've been putting it off for a while because I knew that a show as serious and complicated as this would require all my attention. Furthermore I realise that writing about the show would require a great deal of effort as there's not much point watching a show this popular and not trying to say anything interesting about it.

Still, I haven't actually had the time to make a proper post about this episode so all I have left are impressions.

The first thing that springs to mind when watching this is: if this was released today it would be an From the New World level failure. This series is far too bizarre and inscrutable to have any kind of mass market appeal. Yet, somehow, when this series was released overseas it was a sizeable hit and attracted a very large fanbase for reasons that still boggle me to do this day. I mean, I know that a certain portion of the fanbase presumably have some kind of creepy attraction/interest in Lain herself but as far as characters go she really uninteresting and not cute at all. Beyond that I guess it just rode that Matrix wave right into success station.

On the production quality front, not only does the remaster of this series look good it sounds good. This is actually far more important than it is for most shows because a great deal of effort was clearly put into producing a rich 'audioscape' for this world. I probably never noticed this the first time I watched this series because my speakers were rubbish but listening to it today I can't help but notice how powerful and oppressive the audio is. It reminds me of a horror movie, or playing Dead Space with my headphones on.

With the weird, hallucinatory visuals and the incredible audio design I was starting to think this almost feels like a work that Mamoru Oshii would make if he made a TV series that was nothing but weird shit happening. Then I realised that actually it was far more like Ghost Hound. What I didn't realise, somehow, was that the director Ryutaro Nakamura is actually the director of Ghost Hound and now everything makes a lot more sense.

The sound was the biggest thing I noticed when watching the blu rays too. Part of that is probably because the first time I watched it was on TV at like 11 at night so I had to keep the volume down, and partly because the remaster has better sound quality and I pay more attention to that kind of thing now.

Between this and Ghost Hound, Nakamura sure knows how to use sound effectively and in unusual ways. It's too bad Ghost Hound was so inconsistent everywhere else.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I want to say it was the fake Gundam arc, because you could almost feel the troll coming (because
why would they write off Elizabeth?
), but if it wasn't, it was definitely an episode along those lines.
Yeah that was a great ending. You'd think people would be used to the way Gintama handles things, but oh my, the rage over that episode. Remarkable.

I used that as a back up once. It works surprisingly well. lol
It's alright I guess. Though I suppose testing it with Vocaroo isn't the best idea.

So every time your phone rings, people are asked if they are lady?
If it ever rings. HA HA...ha...

Perhaps I should have put more readable suspicion into my post. I thought perhaps my reputation would be enough!
I implied you'd already written one. How suspicious do you want to come off as?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pander this, pander that.

You know it could just be that there aren't a lot of people who think its a good show or one worth owning.
Chuu2 was more pandering. The main gal was literally made up of parts of all the popular tropes from the previous seasons.

Noirulus

Shin Sekai Yori - 09

Some thoughts:

Why wouldn't the village elders have Saki & Co. killed after they returned 2 years ago if they were fully aware of their miscreant behavior? They have no problem letting hordes of children 'disappear' at the slightest inability to comply with their psychological conditioning, yet children who have already been 'soiled' in a sense are allowed to get away scott-free?

Or maybe Shun was just wrong and the village elders don't have a clue whether their cantus was sealed. Or maybe there's something altogether that i'm missing. I'll take a bet on the latter.

Was that monster's eye inside Shun's egg in class a warning to the village chief? The village tried to kill him through the use of a monster, but Shun killed it instead, and he's taunting the elder by showing him the eye of the monster? (Yeah, I know the egg breaks after the elder leaves, but maybe he sensed it somehow?). I might be completely off, but I figured that scene was what made the elders take drastic measures and bring out the lion fiend.

At the end, Saki goes off into the night to do something about the information she learned from Maria.
What on earth could she possibly do, though? We shall see.

It's definitely an improvement over the last 3 episodes. I don't enjoy the personality of the 14 yr old characters as much as their younger counterparts, so I hope they get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom