• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Rock Shooter TV 4

vm5Er7D.jpg
K5Dkwd4.jpg

W0n9ZQt.jpg
dOR7grs.jpg

mJIOOch.gif

CorvoSol

Gundam AGE 30

Can anybody tell me if Flit becoming everything he ever hated and raising his grandson to be a killing machine from the time he was small was intended or not by the show's writer? Is there like a quote from him saying that, because it'd help to change my opinion of this show.

Otherwise we just keep seeing Flit be a megalomaniacal embodiment of evil and get his feet kissed for it. He has refused for 70 years to see his enemies as human, and has waged an incredibly incompetent war in which he staged a coup and withheld vital military technologies and information (how to make Gundams, how to operate the AGE system, the fact that the Vagan are based on Mars, that they are HUMAN BEINGS.) for the sake of his own self-aggrandizement.

There's no way the writer really meant for us to see this psycopath as a hero, was there?

Branduil

Well, surely light novels are more profitable than anime, what with only needing one author and one other guy to draw a few black-and-white pictures.

Magi 16

And this show has officially crossed the border into hatewatch territory. What a turd. Both protagonists are insufferable beyond reason. The villain who keeps throwing line after line of exposition just won't shut the hell up. Every single important event happens for either completely stupid reasons or due to deus ex machina. The sound direction is a complete joke. The visuals are pure shit (what the hell is this, and why can't they decide how Alibaba's djinn equip looks like?).

So Alibaba's sword gets smashed, like this:

In the following two minutes, the same sword is portrayed, in order: broken in a completely different way; with a little dent/completely fixed; back to broken in half; completely fixed; and finally broken like this again.

This is not nitpicking. This shit happens in the span of two minutes. The animators and the director are basically screaming at the viewers, "Hey, look how fucking incompetent we are!"

And to think this was the arc everyone was hyping up.

No complaints about Aladdin's transforming hair color?

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 30

So uh, there's this new guy and he's a total jerk but kinda also cool. He also seems to be totally cool with hitting on like, everyone other than Frau-Bow. HAHAHA NOBODY LOVES YOU FRAU BOW.

And Char is sooooo fast. Surely there's a joke to be made there.

Cwarrior

Magi 16

can't spell balbadd without bad.

Robotics;Notes 15

Magi 16

And this show has officially crossed the border into hatewatch territory. What a turd. Both protagonists are insufferable beyond reason. The villain who keeps throwing line after line of exposition just won't shut the hell up. Every single important event happens for either completely stupid reasons or due to deus ex machina. The sound direction is a complete joke. The visuals are pure shit (what the hell is this, and why can't they decide how Alibaba's djinn equip looks like?).

So Alibaba's sword gets smashed, like this:

In the following two minutes, the same sword is portrayed, in order: broken in a completely different way; with a little dent/completely fixed; back to broken in half; completely fixed; and finally broken like this again.

This is not nitpicking. This shit happens in the span of two minutes. The animators and the director are basically screaming at the viewers, "Hey, look how fucking incompetent we are!"

And to think this was the arc everyone was hyping up.

Am telling you guyz balbadd was great in the manga I wasn't dreaming it was real, it was real maaaan, why won't anyone believe me.

1354993427828-daffy___bugs_drinking_gif.gif

Am going to take the easy route and point the finger at The infamous Duckroll curse, that's the only way I can make sense of what happen to Magi's anime adaptation (sorry duckroll).

Black Rock Shooter TV 4
mJIOOch.gif
Yep she was a total b---h.
Once you know why , the scene becomes even better !

Gundam AGE 30

Can anybody tell me if Flit becoming everything he ever hated and raising his grandson to be a killing machine from the time he was small was intended or not by the show's writer? Is there like a quote from him saying that, because it'd help to change my opinion of this show.

Otherwise we just keep seeing Flit be a megalomaniacal embodiment of evil and get his feet kissed for it. He has refused for 70 years to see his enemies as human, and has waged an incredibly incompetent war in which he staged a coup and withheld vital military technologies and information (how to make Gundams, how to operate the AGE system, the fact that the Vagan are based on Mars, that they are HUMAN BEINGS.) for the sake of his own self-aggrandizement.

There's no way the writer really meant for us to see this psycopath as a hero, was there?
No and yes.
No it wasn't intended.
yes we're meant to see him as a self hating person that couldn't let go. However i answer "no" to the "intended from the writter " part because ...well you'll find out in the ending.

A normal reaction to Black Rock Shooter.
Well that was a pretty much mindfuck part.

Black Rock Shooter TV 5
I...um...shit.
Ganbatte it's not over yet. you should have more answers next episode !

Friendship is magic!

Friendship can hurt !

Am telling you guyz balbadd was great in the manga I wasn't dreaming it was real, it was real maaaan why won't anyone believe me.

1354993427828-daffy___bugs_drinking_gif.gif

Am going to take the easy route and point the finger at The Duckroll curse, that's the only way I can make sense of what happen to Magi's anime adaptation.

I think every visual aspect of magi is not good in the ballad arc.
i forgave the poor start because they were supposed to "save up" for the ballad arc ... yet we received this...

Ballad was such a nice arc ..it's like the production values aren't there .. or is all the visual correction for the blu-ray version ? (lol )

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dokidoki Precure 01:

Well, other than being a standard introductory episode, there's not a lot that I can deduce yet. The biggest reason for that?
fucking cliffhanger ending after Heart's transformation. You jerks!
The character designs are less abhorrent in-show (except for the mascots, fuck those things) and, well, I guess it looked okay on the whole.

A few observations:

- Cure Sword obviously da best, it's not even close. This is evident within two minutes of the episode.

- Mana is more grounded than the average lead Cure. She's not goofy/clumsy like Miyuki, Tsubomi, or Nozomi and isn't a hotblooded athlete like Nagisa or Hibiki. The episode makes it clear that she's the responsible seitokaichou type, but her thing is that she gets really personally involved in the problems of her fellow students. I guess she's most like Love in that regard, so maybe it's no coincidence that Heart is basically an evolution of Peach.

- The villains seem less comical and more menacing. They're smug and seem like they've really got their shit together from the beginning, which might be an obstacle to the endearing villain camaraderie thing that some of us liked in Heartcatch/Smile/Fresh.

- Jikochu look better than Akanbe, and they're created by the negative feelings of humans much like Desertrians, but it still looks like they're simply defeated through "beat shit out of + finisher".

- Heart's transformation looked good but I'll have to see the episode again in a higher resolution to really say for sure.

- So who's ready for some IDOL CULTURE in their Precure? Maybe SDBurton will like it because he can just pretend that this is what would happen if
Miyuki had been the fourth Cure
in Fresh :lol

- Narag will be pleased to know that yes, there is still a CG ending.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 22: Courage and Loyalty

~ In a way, perhaps, the Prince is a victim, too. ~

Ah, the bowlcut noble is really irritating me. I hope he gets to face what he deserves soon enough.
I hope Admiral Merkatz somehow survives this war. It must be tough, having such ungrateful fellows.

cajunator

Banned
Dokidoki Precure 01:

Well, other than being a standard introductory episode, there's not a lot that I can deduce yet. The biggest reason for that?
fucking cliffhanger ending after Heart's transformation. You jerks!
The character designs are less abhorrent in-show (except for the mascots, fuck those things) and, well, I guess it looked okay on the whole.

A few observations:

- Cure Sword obviously da best, it's not even close. This is evident within two minutes of the episode.

- Mana is more grounded than the average lead Cure. She's not goofy/clumsy like Miyuki, Tsubomi, or Nozomi and isn't a hotblooded athlete like Nagisa or Hibiki. The episode makes it clear that she's the responsible seitokaichou type, but her thing is that she gets really personally involved in the problems of her fellow students. I guess she's most like Love in that regard, so maybe it's no coincidence that Heart is basically an evolution of Peach.

- The villains seem less comical and more menacing. They're smug and seem like they've really got their shit together from the beginning, which might be an obstacle to the endearing villain camaraderie thing that some of us liked in Heartcatch/Smile/Fresh.

- Jikochu look better than Akanbe, and they're created by the negative feelings of humans much like Desertrians, but it still looks like they're simply defeated through "beat shit out of + finisher".

- Heart's transformation looked good but I'll have to see the episode again in a higher resolution to really say for sure.

- So who's ready for some IDOL CULTURE in their Precure? Maybe SDBurton will like it because he can just pretend that this is what would happen if
Miyuki had been the fourth Cure
in Fresh :lol

- Narag will be pleased to know that yes, there is still a CG ending.

Sounds promising.
Although I am such a procrastinator I will likely watch this in 2015.

jgminto

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 16

I usually don't talk about Jojo because there really isn't anything that needs to be said but that was just too amazing. To be continued indeed.

cajunator

Banned
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 16

I usually don't talk about Jojo because there really isn't anything that needs to be said but that was just too amazing. To be continued indeed.

You guys probably notice that I don't post a lot of impressions. I suck at it generally so I let others do it for airing shows. Older shows are an exception since I kind of have to comment myself since others aren't watching it.

PsionBolt

Doki Doki Precure - 1

I am exactly as excited as the title indicates. This episode was astoundingly amazing. Tenouttaten. Incoming wall of text, a memo of my reactions in real-time.

- BLADE. That
tentacle
scene was hardcore for a precure series!

- OP isn't the worst, but not very great either.

- The designs all look way better in motion than they did on paper. Decade, Blade, and Blue are all awesome in both civilian clothes and while transformed. Orange is still kinda hideous in both. To make up for it, they gave her a badass butler. I hope he gets his own episodes like Kaworu did in Fresh.

- If I had to pick, it's Fresh 2.0, but with elements of others as well - mostly Heartcatch, but also plenty of Kamen Rider (as if the designs weren't enough).

- Decade is a Pink, and she's not annoying or dumb. Yes. She is actually competent. Amazing.

- MAKO-P.

- Decade did accept a gift from a strange man though. Precures kind of do this a lot, what a terrible example. He even called her
"my sweetheart"
. That guy is definitely suspicious and would probably be a villain in Kamen Rider, but since this is Precure, he's probably a fairy or something.

- Fairies are medium-okay. Way better than Candy / Hummy, but worse than Coppe / Cologne / Tarte, of course.

- Villains seem great. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the older man in action. The other two appear in this episode.

- I'm extremely glad that they've gone with the Kamen Rider / Heartcatch style of making monsters of the week out of people instead of the usual Precure style of random objects.

- DECADE MADE A KAMEN RIDER POSE AND SHOUTED "HENSHIN"
AND FAILED

-
Blade saves the day. And here I was worried she wouldn't join the team until midseason.

- Transormation scene was also great. It uses the Fresh-style censorship, my personal favourite, with her body except head in colorful silhouette.

- The episode ends
without the conflict resolved
- I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but it would be GREAT if this indicated
a shift towards the Kamen Rider style of two-episode miniarcs.
Optimism is cautious after Heartcatch and Suite.

- Ending song and dance was pretty good. A lot better than Smile ED2, up there with Fresh ED2 and Smile ED1.

- Initial rankings are Decade = Blade > Blue >>> Orange.

- In terms of the literal "doki-doki", it seems the setup this time is a harem of Decade x Everyone.

- Next-episode catchphrase is "Muneno kyun-kyun, tomaranaiyo!"

...My heart is ready. Is it next week yet? Augh.

cajunator

Banned
Doki Doki Precure - 1

I am exactly as excited as the title indicates. This episode was astoundingly amazing. Tenouttaten. Incoming wall of text, a memo of my reactions in real-time.

- BLADE. That
tentacle
scene was hardcore for a precure series!

- OP isn't the worst, but not very great either.

- The designs all look way better in motion than they did on paper. Decade, Blade, and Blue are all awesome in both civilian clothes and while transformed. Orange is still kinda hideous in both. To make up for it, they gave her a badass butler. I hope he gets his own episodes like Kaworu did in Fresh.

- If I had to pick, it's Fresh 2.0, but with elements of others as well - mostly Heartcatch, but also plenty of Kamen Rider (as if the designs weren't enough).

- Decade is a Pink, and she's not annoying or dumb. Yes. She is actually competent. Amazing.

- MAKO-P.

- Decade did accept a gift from a strange man though. Precures kind of do this a lot, what a terrible example. He even called her
"my sweetheart"
. That guy is definitely suspicious and would probably be a villain in Kamen Rider, but since this is Precure, he's probably a fairy or something.

- Fairies are medium-okay. Way better than Candy / Hummy, but worse than Coppe / Cologne / Tarte, of course.

- Villains seem great. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the older man in action. The other two appear in this episode.

- I'm extremely glad that they've gone with the Kamen Rider / Heartcatch style of making monsters of the week out of people instead of the usual Precure style of random objects.

- DECADE MADE A KAMEN RIDER POSE AND SHOUTED "HENSHIN"
AND FAILED

-
Blade saves the day. And here I was worried she wouldn't join the team until midseason.

- Transormation scene was also great. It uses the Fresh-style censorship, my personal favourite, with her body except head in colorful silhouette.

- The episode ends
without the conflict resolved
- I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but it would be GREAT if this indicated
a shift towards the Kamen Rider style of two-episode miniarcs.

- Ending song and dance was pretty good. A lot better than Smile ED2, up there with Fresh ED2 and Smile ED1.

- Initial rankings are Decade = Blade > Blue >>> Orange.

- In terms of the literal "doki-doki", it seems the setup this time is a harem of Decade x Everyone.

- Next-episode catchphrase is "Muneno kyun-kyun, tomaranaiyo!"

...My heart is ready. Is it next week yet? Augh.

See, this is why its a bullshit idea to make assumptions based on some artwork.
The show could turn out pretty good.

Varion

Still behind on almost everything other than Precure, but I had to watch the first episode of Dokidoki.

Dokidoki Precure - 01

Mmm... There were good points, but it didn't make the great first impression Smile did. The girls seemed generally likeable - Mana gets the most screentime so she naturally ended up the most likeable, but I'm still looking forward to seeing more of the others, and it didn't seem like there was going to be one girl that was always less interesting than the others like Reika was. Sword's still my least favourite, especially considering I still hate her non-Cure design, but I don't dislike her character or anything. And her Cure design is still fine, it's just her really boyish normal design and terrible hair. Liked what we saw of the villains, but they really weren't on screen for that long.

Music was... eh. The daily life type tracks weren't really any different to Takanashi's stuff, and his weren't especially amazing to begin with, but nothing else stood out either. Henshin music was okay I think, but I've forgotten it already.

The idea of the Jikochuus reminded me of Heartcatch a bit, which would be great if not for the fact they're completely missing the character development angle that Heartcatch had. Unless you count Mana shouting at it, but if it doesn't have any impact on the person the Jikochuu comes from then that doesn't really count (although I suppose the guy knew what he was supposed to do begin with). I was a bit surprised by how much they talk, was just expecting them to shout JIKOCHUU repeatedly but that thing actually got a few short sentences out.

Animation wasn't especially great. It's not terrible or anything but I did hope for a bit more, especially considering it's the first episode.

Also, ED was the highlight of the ep. Everyone looked great in it, and the song was fairly catchy too. Glad they didn't decide to skip the dance ED this time.

So yeah, it didn't exactly blow me away as a first episode but I'm interested enough to watch more. Judging after one episode doesn't really feel fair anyway, and of all the Precures I've seen I've ended up really enjoying them all, so there's no reason to believe this'll be any different. After Smile I'm up for a slightly more serious slightly more plot-oriented series, and this seems like that's what it'll be.

Soma

Kara no Kyoukai 7: Murder Speculation (Part 2)

Oh. Oh wow. Yikes.

I decided to get this out of the way since it's been months since I've finished the 6th film and I actually started this series around the middle of last year. I had heard some unfavorable things about this one beforehand but man. That was pretty bad. With a time length as long as Paradox Spiral (roughly 2 hours) yet this is nowhere near as interesting nor as well directed. A terrible antagonist, lots of sublots that really don't go anywhere, the awkward focus on Shiki and Kokutou (and good lord he is especially terrible in this film) and a definite lack of good stand-out scenes.

The visuals are more or less on par with the rest of the film which I'm totally fine with. That said, I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty lenient when it comes to the use of CG in most anime. I think a lot of scenes work well but others not so much. One example of it not working well at all was that
drool scene with Shiki and Lio
, but that entire scene was just plain cringe-inducing in general. The action scenes (though sparse in this film) were pretty well choreographed for the most part and at least not as flimsy as that one fight scene at the end of the fifth film. I honestly didn't find any of the music in this film to be all that memorable either besides the reprised theme from the second movie which I really like.

A godawful villain and a terrible plot made for a let down of a 'conclusion' to this series. Kinoko Nasu's writing feels very apparent in this film and most people should know that's a bad thing. If anything I do like how 'established' Ryougi Shiki feels as a character by this point because I do genuinely think she's an interesting character despite this series' faults. In the first several films, I feel like she's a bit too stoic and cold for her own good but by this film she feels slightly more 'human'. It's just a shame the rest of the film is let down by the poor writing and directing. I honestly don't think I would advise anyone to bother with this film unless they're that interested in Shiki's backstory or a completionist like myself. And now that I've said that I've commited myself to checking out the Epilogue and the upcoming film!

tl;dr - fuck nasu

knk film rankings: 5 >>>>>>>> 3 = 6 >1 > 2 > 4 = 7

Kurita

Priceless ep.1-6
Kimura Takuya returns to Monday nights at Fuji TV as an ordinary salary man, Kindaichi Fumio, who is loved by colleagues and trusted for his ability to protect subordinates. One day, however, things take a 180 degree turn and his life becomes completely flipped upside down. His superiors fix their eyes on him and concoct a plot to bring him down. He is held responsible for a crime he has no recollection of, and is forced to leave his position. More unfortunate events follow as Kindaichi loses literally everything from his cellphone to his home, ending up without a penny in his pocket. Shocked by his losses, he one day meets two children in the park by chance who teach him how to get by without any dependency on money. The greatest thing about Kindaichi's character is that his character never fails him. He always has a carefree attitude and is driven by those people he meets, who love and support him, not by inflicted pain or grudge against others.
Despite being the man who has lost all his possessions, Kindaichi continues to move forward, inspiring his former boss, Moai Kengo, and conservative office co-worker, Nikaido Aya, resulting in a big turning point for each of them. What is it that money can't buy? What is the most precious thing in life? A man tells the story of finding that "priceless" something in life, through unpredictable turns and twists with a light comedy touch.

Pretty good story of a man trying to get back to the top. Really liking the main trio, their different personalities allow great interactions.
It's a feels good show, watching the hero dealing with poverty and all that stuff can be heart-warming. His happy-go-lucky/optimistic attitude is cool, he never gives up.
The kids are a kind of annoying to be honest but in the end they don't get that much screen time so huh, that's cool.
The story in itself is a little cliché but still solid, I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom