• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soul Eater 47

0n36nG0.jpg
v4SLE1j.jpg

Blah, blah, Black Star does something. Unimportant.

But the last 10 minutes:
So, Shinigami's desire turns out to basically give his city legs so he can proceed to go and smash the living crap out of the enemy.
Well of course, we can't have none of that, so it turns out that the enemy's castle also becomes mobile, and WE GET THE CLOSEST THING TO A MECHA FIGHT IN THIS SERIES WITH A SPIDER CASTLE FIGHTING A GIANT CITY/SCHOOL WITH LEGS.
AND AT THE END, SHINIGAMI STICKS A FINGER INTO THE SPIDER CASTLE, GRABS THE BIG BAD AND EATS HIM.

THAT WAS THE MOST HILARIOUS AND AWESOME THING IN THIS SERIES EVER. EVER.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Any good Sci-Fi/Fantasy this season?

Not really, although I might recommend trying The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke as a few people like it here. Basically, it's about an esper terrorist organization and the double agent trying to bring them down from within.

white mocha frap w/ caramel sauce and extra whipped cream (something else i can't read though)

man that time working of starbucks still sticks with me years later lol

A little too much whipped cream but that doesn't sound bad. I actually wasn't even aware there's a white mocha.

Jex

Dirty Pair 07

This episode was crazy. Totally didn't see any of it coming.
Also having seen Gunbuster today I couldn't not post this shot. Friggin' timeskips man.

That rights, Dirty Pair is secretly one of the most progressive anime ever. It's probably the only series to tackle (and by tackle I mean support) transgender themes and have sweet shoot-outs in the same episode.

Westlo

Yup, one of the all-time great OPs in terms of getting you fired the fuck up to watch the show.

Busou Renkin is good for what it is, though. I recommend it, but I don't think a lot of other people here do.

I enjoyed the 5 or so episodes of Buson Renkin that I watched, sadly it hit my backlog and once something hits that....

Watching 10
Completed 173 (I think I've finished like 4-5 series at most in the last few years...)
On Hold 370

Do feel like getting back into it one day though...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So youre saying that derpface first came from a Japanese animator?

No, I think QUALITY art generally comes about at the "grunt work" levels of animation. Not all anime is outsourced at the less prestigious levels, of course, but unless I'm talking out of my ass, key animators, who are usually located in Japan, aren't the ones directly responsible for bad art.

The iDOLM@STER 6
5QT2odO.jpg

I didn't quite understand this part...
From seeing Azusa's photo at the end of the last episode, I was hoping she'd get more focus this episode. What I got instead was just her getting a hair cut and a bunch of focus on the dude that doesn't even have a name. I'm surprisingly ok with Azusa's hair cut. I always felt she was originally designed with shorter hair. It's a crying shame that she got stuck with two of the worst characters on the show though. Why did they separate the two twins anyways?

cajunator

Banned
The iDOLM@STER 6

From seeing Azusa's photo at the end of the last episode, I was hoping she'd get more focus this episode. What I got instead was just her getting a hair cut and a bunch of focus on the dude that doesn't even have a name. I'm surprisingly ok with Azusa's hair cut. I always felt she was originally designed with shorter hair. It's a crying shame that she got stuck with two of the worst characters on the show though. Why did they separate the two twins anyways?

Because they knew that no one would put up with both of them together.

Jex

I know that it's cheap and easy and not particularly funny but nevertheless I still read ANN reviews from time to time so that I can take incredibly lazy potshots at them. Here's a couple. First up, from the Psycho Pass review:
Dystopian pictures of our Internet-reliant future have become thick on the ground. Psycho-Pass, from Fate/Zero and Puella Magi Madoka Magica writer Gen Urobuchi, is one of the most recent entries into the genre, and while it does share some of the more stale aspects of it, by and large it manages to do something different and fascinating with what could be becoming a stale genre.

Now, call me crazy but I'd assume that when an editor reads that he or she would probably try and make sure that 'stale' isn't used twice in the same paragraph.

From the Blast of Tempest review:

The production effort by a Bones team led by Masahiro Ando (CANAAN, Hanasaku Iroha) is no slouch, either, as the series looks great in every respect and animates well when not taking shortcuts.

Are those the words that you're going to reference when discussing Ando? You're making duckroll cry.

Space Brothers 43

Great episode.
The episode's Brian Jay theme made it pretty clear Hibito wouldn't actually die, but it was effective nonetheless. Though I couldn't help but think about how the guy would suffer from a ton of brain damage from that oxygen deprivation.

Jex

Hmm, I see the UK BD release of Code:Geass season 1 is available for the extremely reasonable asking price of £26.99. Considering that the DVD originally retailed at £40 that's quite an offer.

Westlo

Hunter X Hunter 2011 6-7

Finally a female character, Menchi! A sidedish character though but damn dem crossed over legs. Really enjoying this, I guess I'll have to watch YYH after this....

Jex

New Getter Robo 1

Who knew Jojo would only be the second most badass thing I'd seen all day? It's not just the JAM Project OP/ED talking either. When your initial premise is, "My pilots aren't man enough. Let's get some crazy bastards in here." and a psychopath is promptly selected, welp!
You aint seen nothing yet.

Oh, wait, yes you have.
New Getter Robo 2

Y'know, I heard they upped the crazy in this one but I was not prepared. Hayato's even more batshit then Ryoma.

Yeaaaaaaah.

Articalys

Hmm, I see the UK BD release of Code:Geass season 1 is available for the extremely reasonable asking price of £26.99. Considering that the DVD originally retailed at £40 that's quite an offer.
The fact that you mention this is particularly hilarious, because look what just showed up in my GAF adspace:

ExRyqL9.png

The curse of Bandai being out-of-print, I guess.

Jex

So you would recommend both of these podcasts then? My job requires driving for long periods of time and I usually pass the time with different podcasts. Having some good anime ones in the rotation would be awesome.

Yes, I'd especially recommend the Anime World Order podcast although Dynamite in the Brain is a pleasant listen. I went back and literally listened to every AWO podcast they ever, did some of which are like three hours long. I don't normally do that for podcasts!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
After an intense 24 hours of marathoning, Yes! Precure 5 CONQUERED. On to Futari wa. Let's see how long I last until I burn out.

Jex

Sounds like the third Berserk film isn't going to be the end of it:

I mean, I had figures that there was no point in them making re-making the Golden Age if they weren't going to eventually move on to the rest of the manga but this is still a little disappointing. It means there's never going to be good-looking adaptation of the rest of the work because these jokers are going to be making it.

Branduil

I mean, I had figures that there was no point in them making re-making the Golden Age if they weren't going to eventually move on to the rest of the manga but this is still a little disappointing. It means there's never going to be good-looking adaptation of the rest of the work because these jokers are going to be making it.

Maybe by the time they get to the next movies they'll have had so much practive they'll actually start looking good. And maybe they just weren't giving it their full effort since these first three movies are just retreads. Surely it's possible the next films will start looking pretty good...

iWeOmpETGBZwW.gif

Westlo

Didn't the announce at the start that they were going to adapt all of it? Or am I remembering wrong?

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon 44

Sunspot activity is getting stronger,
which activates Queen Metallia's power.
After lots of searching, Luna and Artemis
find the opening leading to the Dark Kingdom.
The senshi join up and head into the darkness.
They fall into a trap by Kunzite, who transports them into the past, where they learn about the Moon Kingdom and their origins. There was a great battle between the evil people from Earth and the Moon kingdom. queen Metallia created a great Youma and killed endymion and Princess Serenity, but Queen Serenity summoned the full power of the silver crystal and killed the great youma. With her last strength she released the senshi to Earth so they could live in peace before she died.
Meanwhile, the two cats locate the entrance to the kingdom in the arctic snow. The Senshi complete the fall and land near the arctic area, where Kunzite is harming Luna and Artemis. He then turns on the Senshi to attack. They attempt to protect Sailor moon but are stunned by his attacks. Sailor Moon summons the great power of the Moon wand and deflects a deadly shot by Kunzite, which comes back to him and kills him.
The cats are finally able to report where the entrance is and the Senshi vow to punish the Dark Kingdom once and for all.

Well that whole episode is pretty much a spoiler so I played it safe.
It looks like the next episode is THAT EPISODE.
an episode I have heard about and seen a severely butchered version of, but I'm looking forward to seeing the real uncut version. I have a vague idea of what happens, but the events were cut so short they had no meaning or emotion at all. It will be interesting to see the real thing after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom