• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh do we have a simul watch set up for Futari wa?

Nope but Regulus jumped the gun so I guess there's not going to be one now :lol

Just ditch Splash Star and follow along at your own pace. I'll be light on images and safe with spoilers to avoid affecting anyone else's experience.

Jex

Didn't the announce at the start that they were going to adapt all of it? Or am I remembering wrong?

Well they certainly said that was a plan at the start but, like announcing the Too Human trilogy up front, what companies say at the start of the project and at the end of it are often two very different things.

Defuser

I wonder is there a way to introduce Gintama to newcomers without scaring them off with over 200 episode count.

They can skip to the arcs but it will lose the charm of what makes Gintama.

Jex

I wonder is there a way to introduce Gintama to newcomers without scaring them off with over 200 episode count.

They can skip to the arcs but it will lose the charm of what makes Gintama.

Well, really, aside from skipping the first episode there's really much you can do. As with any of these extremely long shows you have to be willing to carve out a significant chunk of your time to watch the series and there's no way around that fact.

Now, before anyone is going to do that they need to be persuaded that the series in question is worth their time but, with Gintama I'm pretty sure most people who follow this thread will be aware that it's an extremely well received show.

fertygo

I mean, I had figures that there was no point in them making re-making the Golden Age if they weren't going to eventually move on to the rest of the manga but this is still a little disappointing. It means there's never going to be good-looking adaptation of the rest of the work because these jokers are going to be making it.

I want too see the Black Dogs and Peekaf Queen fight in glorious good-looking animation :(

cajunator

Banned
Sailor moon 45

Remember back when anime creators had balls of steel? The directors were never afraid to "go there". Well Sailor Moon is no different. I kind of had an idea how this would play out but DiC so royally fucked up this episode and the last that it held no emotional value, no real surprise. This episode is pretty shocking when you first see it. A lot of the chemistry between the characters, the friendships and personalities was lost in the dub, even for an episode that was a bit rushed as it is even in the uncut version. But this original episode does illicit some emotions,
especially since you grow attached to these characters over 40+ episodes and they are just gone like that. Killed in horrific ways.
Kids watched this?
It did force Usagi to grow up very quickly and she realized the final gravity of the situation.
This wasn't a joke, it was deadly serious. When Jupiter's ghost puts her hand on Usagi's shoulder as she cries alone, you get goosebumps.
Its very effective and pulls the right strings. DiC, you should be ASHAMED of what you did to this beautiful episode.

Sailor moon 45

Remember back when anime creators had balls of steel? The directors were never afraid to "go there". Well Sailor Moon is no different. I kind of had an idea how this would play out but DiC so royally fucked up this episode and the last that it held no emotional value, no real surprise. This episode is pretty shocking when you first see it. A lot of the chemistry between the characters, the friendships and personalities was lost in the dub, even for an episode that was a bit rushed as it is even in the uncut version. But this original episode does illicit some emotions,
especially since you grow attached to these characters over 40+ episodes and they are just gone like that. Killed in horrific ways.
Kids watched this?
It did force Usagi to grow up very quickly and she realized the final gravity of the situation.
This wasn't a joke, it was deadly serious. When Jupiter's ghost puts her hand on Usagi's shoulder as she cries alone, you get goosebumps.
Its very effective and pulls the right strings. DiC, you should be ASHAMED of what you did to this beautiful episode.

Ah, the late 90's in america. You can't have that sort of thing happen to the girls! Such a wasted opportunity.

I mean, I still like the original dub, and dat original english CD, but everything else was so wrong.

Steroyd

Little Busters - 17

A.K.A How stupid can people be? - 17

Wow, that was strange case of reality being stranger than fiction.
twins from different fathers can actually happen in real life.

At the same time, this show has shown that doctors exist in this show, so it's amazing how such a high profile family wasn't doing what's been done in Jerry Springer, Maury and Jeremy Kyle with DNA tests, and decided to pick such a shitty inconclusive screening method.

Of course it would all make sense if they were both Saigusa Shou's kids.

And then of course, after saying all that, the end makes no sense in where they're going with this.

cajunator

Banned
Ah, the late 90's in america. You can't have that sort of thing happen to the girls! Such a wasted opportunity.

I mean, I still like the original dub, and dat original english CD, but everything else was so wrong.

They utterly destroyed it. no wonder some people are so dub-averse. They grew up watching companies like DiC completely shred a show like this. Characters personalities are different. their trust in each other was nuanced differently. They avoid the word death or dying. Males changes to females. All kinds of terrible shit. Makes me so fucking pissed off.
But at least I have seen the series as it was meant to be seen and there were a ton of changes. It has been a fun ride and I cant wait to finally advance to Sailor moon R.
But first, the final episode, which in the Dub lasted 7 minutes. They cut it down to SEVEN FUCKING MINUTES.

Jarmel

Banned
OniAi- fin

1920x1080x2a297fc72c5a16d27e469d.jpg

LOL

That last minute bombshell.
Holy shit, I can't imagine what the hell would happen to the brother if she found out the truth. Indeed all brakes would be off.

Also Eri Kitamura's voice is pure sex. Like orgasmic sexy.

One of those situations I'm so happy anime isn't imitating real life :D Seriously, how many more people would die by drowning in Japan if people failed to perform or were too late to perform CPR because of the fear of kissing an attractive woman.

Steroyd

They utterly destroyed it. no wonder some people are so dub-averse. They grew up watching companies like DiC completely shred a show like this. Characters personalities are different. their trust in each other was nuanced differently. They avoid the word death or dying. Males changes to females. All kinds of terrible shit. Makes me so fucking pissed off.
But at least I have seen the series as it was meant to be seen and there were a ton of changes. It has been a fun ride and I cant wait to finally advance to Sailor moon R.
But first, the final episode, which in the Dub lasted 7 minutes. They cut it down to SEVEN FUCKING MINUTES.

One Piece was what killed dubs for me, well that and finding out that Europe was getting a censored version of the already American censored version of Dragonball Z.

Seven minutes is all I have to play with you. ;)

I also liked Zoicite a lot better in the Japanese version.

Also, R is pretty good. Prince Diamond is a boss.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor moon 46

BRAVO.

Now that was a way to send off a series.
They cut so much out it was like watching a whole different show. Especially the part where
Usagi refuses to kiss Mamoru after he died, because the other senshi never got the opportunity to kiss their BFs before they died.
The Final battle was pretty awesome too
with everyone joining in and lending their power for one final attack on Metallia

Overall I'm gonna rate Season One an 8/10. It had some frustrating moments and I still think Usagi was a crybaby shithead most of the time, but she grew up quickly. Now Sailor moon R awaits!

Jex

We're never going to get to OT - 7 at this rate people. Yes, I know it's the middle of the night but still.

BluWacky

Secondly, we get the MLP reaction where some people can't handle people enjoying a series that is primarily made for a female girl audience. As you may have noticed, this really causes people to lose their shit for reasons that are kind of beyond me. Anyway it's a well documented phenomenon.

K-On is seinen. Its primary audience is the same as most anime - male otaku. Not that I disagree with the rest of your post, but the manga ran in the same anthology as things like Acchi Kochi and Doujin Work, it's just fortuitous that the show had broader appeal.

Jex

[Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water]: 21 & 22

Nadia22_zps694e3165.jpg

Anno is a god and we should all bow before his mightiness etc etc. This is like the Gunbuster finale in terms of sheer emotional impact.

In all seriousness, holy fuck I these these are two of the finest episodes in property that he's been the director of. I can't really speak about them in depth of even post any images because it's really nothing but spoilers. They really elevate the show to new heights which is, I suppose, unfortunate considering the filler that is to follow.

Of course, as this is my own personal viewing of the show I'm not going to suffer through 23 - 34 like some kind of masochist. If you do that you really only have yourself to blame. Instead what I'll be doing, and what I recommend you do yourselves, is watch 30,31 and then come back in to watch in sequence at 35. Screw the rest, you don't need them and they were never supposed to be part of the story.

sonicmj1

I doubt it's coincidental. Gunbuster is secretly Japanese imperialist power fantasy, which is mostly expressed in-universe in subtle ways that an American viewer would never notice or care about.

For example (this is the first thing I found on Google), someone wrote a series of blog posts on this subject, and in their sum-up of episode 6, they briefly discuss how Hawaii is portrayed during its short appearance in this episode. In short, there are a number of advertisements in Japanese, for Japanese goods. Why is that?

Each of these ads might not merit a translation, but the cumulative impact on the Japanese viewer of all of the ads together is significant and the fan relying on the subtitles will completely miss it. The scene here exemplifies the way that the use of written text in this show conveys a message of Japanese dominance over futuristic Earth to Japanese viewers while remaining practically invisible to others, despite the series been ably subtitled.

The reason Hawaii is so utterly “Japanese” in this episode is never explained in the show, but it is discussed in the diverse array of print media (artbooks, factbooks, comic books, novelizations) that have appeared since the series first aired, none of which have been translated other languages. According to an officially produced fictional timeline only accessible to Japanese fans, Hawaii was bought by Japan in 1996. America regretted the transaction and attacked Pearl Harbor in 2008, ushering in a second Japanese-American War. The war ended four years later with an overwhelming Japanese victory followed by a sweeping plan for an Earth Empire. This timeline is widely available online in Japanese (for example, on this site) but it is not usually found or discussed in foreign language fansites. According to the Gunbuster timeline, then, by Episode Six Hawaii has been under Japanese occupation for 52 years, which somewhat justifies the saturation of Japanese elements in the islands.

So there you go! They aren't using Japanese in Gunbuster (just) out of convenience; Japan is the leading superpower in the series.

Jex

K-On is seinen. Its primary audience is the same as most anime - male otaku. Not that I disagree with the rest of your post, but the manga ran in the same anthology as things like Acchi Kochi and Doujin Work, it's just fortuitous that the show had broader appeal.

I'm merely talking about who the work appears to be aimed at from the perspective of an outsider. Most people wouldn't be aware of the history of the property.

Moreover, while you're completely right I feel that KyoAni's adaptation elevates the material considerably and the target audience for them is clearly girls as opposed to male otaku. I don't think it's fortuitous that is has that broader appeal, I think it's due to the talented efforts of the team at KyoAni.

Jex

For example (this is the first thing I found on Google), someone wrote a series of blog posts on this subject, and in their sum-up of episode 6, they briefly discuss how Hawaii is portrayed during its short appearance in this episode. In short, there are a number of advertisements in Japanese, for Japanese goods. Why is that?

And people still try to tell me that there are no good anime blogs!

Jex

I have question that I don't really know if I want the answer to: where, if ever, does ToonamiGAF crossover with AnimeGAF? I can just feel the segregation.

Branduil

I doubt it's coincidental. Gunbuster is secretly Japanese imperialist power fantasy, which is mostly expressed in-universe in subtle ways that an American viewer would never notice or care about.

So there you go! They aren't using Japanese in Gunbuster (just) out of convenience; Japan is the leading superpower in the series.

Oh Japan.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon R 01

Sailor Moon and the others have all reverted back to normal lives. They have no memories of each other. Thats kind of sad.
However, one night a strange alien object falls to the Earth and makes a mess of things.
Two beings, Ali and En, emerge from the object. Ali carries a strange flute with him and plays a song with unknown powers.
The two enroll in school as exchange students.
Ali immediately takes to Usagi and En seems to like Mamoru.
Uh oh.
The two need life energy to survive. They achieve this by stealing it from living things.
The two create a vampire that goes around sapping energy. It breaks into Naru's house and steals her energy. Usagi ends up there and Luna and Artemis try to fight off the monster to no avail. Usagi has to be re-awakened as Sailor Moon.
Once she does, a quick tiara to the face dispatches the vampire, releasing the gathered energy back to life forms.
I guess this is the new format. I kind of like it. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Articalys

I do find it amusing that the Hyouka map does all the work that fans would normally do themselves when trying to match up KyoAni show locations to their real-world reference counterparts... not that people hadn't probably done that for Hyouka anyway.

Mature

I have question that I don't really know if I want the answer to: where, if ever, does ToonamiGAF crossover with AnimeGAF? I can just feel the segregation.
I'm in ToonamiGAF all the time.I don't see many bleeding over at all. Despite it being a block largely consistent of anime, I sort of understand why it's a bit separate.

Defuser

Minami-Ke Tadaima ep 5

VxiFh8Y.png

I'm sorry Fujioka, you're no Hosaka.

Fujioka centred episode. Poor guy, forever chasing a dimwitted girl.

Kagami

What is nyantype?

I'm confident you could order a subscription and not regret it, cajunator.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/magazine/detail_mag.html?KEY=7125

I don't understand why a show like Tamako market bombs in the first place.
I gotta be honest and say that Tamako Market is boring me.
I wonder if this is what K-On! would have been like if they had started in "season 2 mode" instead of with season 1: a finely-detailed portrayal of the lives of characters I'm not attached to.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Secondly, we get the MLP reaction where some people can't handle people enjoying a series that is primarily made for a female girl audience. As you may have noticed, this really causes people to lose their shit for reasons that are kind of beyond me. Anyway it's a well documented phenomenon.
Is Sailor Moon the only show intended primarily for girls that escapes this stigma?
You really should just be watching Doremi and more importantly I should be selling people on Doremi.
Dude, I'm on a schedule here. Can't hurry science.

Besides, I watched 110 episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes for you! You can't even be a good boy and skip straight into Smile Precure episode 35 after all my harassment! The onus of responsibility is not mine here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom