• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

So, I started Rocket Girls as my next backlog title and have made it through the first 4 episodes. This really brings back that feeling and desire I had as a kid where I thought I could do anything despite being younger only to later realize that the only jobs adults would really give kids were as drug mules, sex slaves, child soldiers and actors, all of which seem to have an awfully high self destruction and mortality rate.

Anyways, despite being unrealistic as anything anime it is still about space and it has maths written on whiteboards that I can't understand so, uh, I'm going to keep watching. And if we make it to space I'll forgive them for the horrible helicopter rocket animation from the first episode.

It's been a few years since I've seen it at this point, but I remember Rocket Girls being a really, really pleasant surprise when I saw it. The two novels that got published in English via Viz Haikasoru imprint where fun light reads as well.

It's pretty funny to compare with the authors other book that got published in English, Usurper of the Sun, which is so ridiculously hard-SF that, aside from half of it reading like a Star Trek technical manual, makes me wonder, aside from a couple of really obvious conceits, how many liberties Rocket Grils actually takes with it's science.

Neo C.

It's been a while since I made gifs, but Fujioka is too funny here:
fujiokahappy0kjiq.gif

Narag

Well, let me guide you down the road of understanding, my son.

I guess you could say there's a number of reasons.

K-On! began airing in 2009 and it was undeniably a popular series for all the reasons that you can imagine. Now, as fanbases of shows are want to do, they began to proselytize to the masses about the wonders of K-On!. They'd do deploy the usual internet weaponry in the form of forum avatars and gifs of the show in an attempt to spread awareness and celebrate their love of the property. Now this creates a few problems.

Firstly, we get the usual reaction from the internet when they've been bombarded by any fanbase: shut the hell up and stop spreading meme's everywhere. That's the usual 'tired of group' response which happens even when the show is very popular see: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Secondly, we get the MLP reaction where some people can't handle people enjoying a series that is primarily made for a female girl audience. As you may have noticed, this really causes people to lose their shit for reasons that are kind of beyond me. Anyway it's a well documented phenomenon.

Thirdly we've got to deal with the concept of moe. Remember that by 2009 anime was seen as being in a slump with the glorious of heydays of 2007 quickly forgotten. The general conesus being that anime used to be cool and now it's just a lot of shitty, pedo, pandering moe shows for otaku. How disgusting. Then here comes a 'moe series' (I hate using this term incorrectly but then again everyone uses this term incorrectly because no-one can decide what it means) which has a large and vocal fanbase. They appear to represent some kind of new movement that loves 'moe shit', which means that all the people who grew up watching 80's/90's anime are totally free to hate on this group because they love the shit that anime has 'turned into' (in their mind). This reaction, crucially, doesn't really even deal with the worth or quality of the series itself because it's completely irrelevant to what the series represents e.g. the downfall of anime.

Finally I'd say that anywork which has people shouting it's praises to high heaven will inevitably draw criticism when people watch it for themselves and perhaps find the work extremely boring. There's then a great divide between the people who are calling it the greatest thing since sliced bread and the people who think that it's the cure for insomnia.

Huh, that's pretty illuminating.

/XX/

Oh they actually bothered to animate the mouths too! *Spoilers for this one potentially*
Oh, I always find that such a nice touch, specially when
Mr. Coach last encouragement words to Noriko happen
... how each vocalization is animated, the way it is framed each cut of him on different angles, all along with that voice and tense face it does for a fairly powerful impression. Very, very amazing moment!

Best thing Anno ever made.
Have you finished Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water yet?

iDOLM@STER comes to mind. The concert in Dog Days was painfully awful before the BDs fixed them.
I don't think "painfully awful" are the words I would use when the basis of nice Kō Yoshinari's work is mostly still there on the digital disc release version:

Dog days(堀江由衣HorieYui)Promised Love~ダイスキx100 ~修正比較 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wjrAtDbqhQ

In fact, I kind of like better some of the (I think) more proportioned facial features and character stylization on the TV airing version, even if those could be considered more inconsistent or 'off-model' in regards to the series' habitual designs.

Toonami really should get JoJos Bizarre Adventure. It fits in with Toonami, then again copyright lawyers would be rushing to the sue button.

Gintama Episode 3

So, it all begins. I am starting my journey on one of Anime Gaf's favorite show. I will continue to keep a log of my journey as I progress through these 250 episodes. Oh god, what have I done?
Enjoy your journey it starts slow ( gintama ) but when you'll reach "that" point it'll be all awesome.

It's been a while since I made gifs, but Fujioka is too funny here:
fujiokahappy0kjiq.gif

Can you make one of chiaki falling ( while trying to exercise ? )

/XX/

Rejoice! Urusei Yatsura begins anew at Kids Station in a few hours (February, 4... in Japan), including a confirmation of the expected (http://twitter.com/muhootsaver_7/status/289132596393279488) use of those new masters that will be present on the Blu-ray Disc release (http://www.kids-station.com/program/detail/162901.html).

I do find it amusing that the Hyouka map does all the work that fans would normally do themselves when trying to match up KyoAni show locations to their real-world reference counterparts... not that people hadn't probably done that for Hyouka anyway.
Of course! I wouldn't have expected anything else from the fans of pilgrimages, like kobaya (http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46470077&postcount=13141), that usually do it:

【聖地巡礼】氷菓の舞台となった飛騨高山市を訪れてみた【紅葉】 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZThZXqvc4

Little Busters! 17
tumblr_mhmery6YUt1qzk4cro3_500.png
tumblr_mhmery6YUt1qzk4cro4_500.png

I think some of the lines are really thought provoking. Not the saddest story of the anime but just highlights how unfair the world is. Dont even know how Naoe Riki and the Little Busters! crew can help the twins out.
The father might as well not tell, I think revealing would ruin the situation even further and make it unrepairable. They should just live their life how they want it and abandon the family chains that bind them, I guess.

Necrovex

Enjoy your journey it starts slow ( gintama ) but when you'll reach "that" point it'll be all awesome.

When should I expect to reach "that" point? I didn't know the show had a "that" point, which I am assuming will be like the Arlong arc in One Piece when the show became top-notch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nothing a few name changes can't fix. :p
ADBC, Trucks and Bishbashbosh.

Doesn't Viz already have to deal with this? And truthfully some names are common words so they could just pretend the musical connection is pure coincidence.

BluWacky

I guess. I wonder how their costs work, they did get Deadman Wonderland which was new at that time (since it aired before they even brought the dvds out). Are the series I suggested really less fitting than Tenchi Muyo! GXP is for the block...

Tenchi aired in the block waaaaay back when. It made sense to air GXP as a result.

What I would also say is that the series you mentioned are not only geared at a slightly older audience than Soul Eater but all have Japanese settings and characters. Soul Eater takes place in a fantasy universe where the names are mostly English and the culture is made up - it's far more casual friendly than something like Father or BakaTest.

Metrotab

Banned
Also, for the guy who's watching Idolm@ster and just watched Hibiki's character episode, prepare for greatness. If I remember correctly, right after is when the show embarks on a narrative tour de force that makes the show a real diamond in the rough.

Gundam AGE Episode 36 or "Lack of Composure"

Flit was very panicky this episode, it's because
The Vegans stole the AGE-3, he's not panicky because they took his grandson and that he loves him very much...no. He's like this because Kio is 'the savior to defeat the Vegans' and he needs him for that.
we know he's evil!

Next Episode:
Kio hopefully finds out a new perspective on this stupid war.

mAcOdIn

Still working on it! Still, the stuff you hear about the island arc is horrifying, no matter how little input Anno had on that.
That's why I put Nadia on hold, because of Jexhius spreading that doom and gloom as if it were the flu. I don't like skipping entire arcs, it'll take some time to either convince myself that it really wasn't ever intended and that I shouldn't feel bad for skipping it or muster the courage to sit through it. Either way it cast a dark could over my the outlook of me finishing Nadia in a timely manner. Because while I like Nadia to some degree I don't think it was fantastic to begin with so a nose dive from "ok" is a lousy prospect and again, I don't like skipping things as then I feel I never did finish it. Eh.

Jexhius, this is your fault! Shoulda' just let me watch it all in order and drop the show properly or squeak through and just say it sucked like I do with all of Anno's other works.
It's been a few years since I've seen it at this point, but I remember Rocket Girls being a really, really pleasant surprise when I saw it. The two novels that got published in English via Viz Haikasoru imprint where fun light reads as well.

It's pretty funny to compare with the authors other book that got published in English, Usurper of the Sun, which is so ridiculously hard-SF that, aside from half of it reading like a Star Trek technical manual, makes me wonder, aside from a couple of really obvious conceits, how many liberties Rocket Girls actually takes with it's science.
Ah, well science wise, I have no clue, it's all the stuff surrounding it, using young girls, everyone having a weird persona to the max and it actually affecting their work, the casual use of rockets and handguns, that's the stuff that turns me off. Overall though I think I do like it, it's fun.

Defuser

Gintama Episode 3

So, it all begins. I am starting my journey on one of Anime Gaf's favorite show. I will continue to keep a log of my journey as I progress through these 250 episodes. Oh god, what have I done?

What you have done? You done good, you're in for the most awesome ride of your life.

DiGiKerot

Ah, well science wise, I have no clue, it's all the stuff surrounding it, using young girls, everyone having a weird persona to the max and it actually affecting their work, the casual use of rockets and handguns, that's the stuff that turns me off. Overall though I think I do like it, it's fun.

Oh, yeah, some of that stuff is weird - has Matsuri appeared yet? Can't remember how early they introduce her...

/XX/

Still working on it! Still, the stuff you hear about the island arc is horrifying, no matter how little input Anno had on that.
That's why I put Nadia on hold, because of Jexhius spreading that doom and gloom as if it were the flu. I don't like skipping entire arcs, it'll take some time to either convince myself that it really wasn't ever intended and that I shouldn't feel bad for skipping it or muster the courage to sit through it. Either way it cast a dark could over my the outlook of me finishing Nadia in a timely manner. Because while I like Nadia to some degree I don't think it was fantastic to begin with so a nose dive from "ok" is a lousy prospect and again, I don't like skipping things as then I feel I never did finish it. Eh.

Jexhius, this is your fault! Shoulda' just let me watch it all in order and drop the show properly or squeak through and just say it sucked like I do with all of Anno's other works.

And that is why you can only pay attention to Mr. Anno's own wisdom and follow his director's cut on The Nautilus Story, that trims what he didn't want/they obliged the studio to do!

All in all, as already brought in here (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44252410&postcount=12581), there were some bits worth defending, as some say, from the filler itself.

Jex

Gintama Episode 3

Well, you're going to have to devote more time to watching and less time to viewing GAF if you ever want to get through that mountain of content!

Branduil

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
And that is why you can only pay attention to Mr. Anno's own wisdom and follow his director's cut on The Nautilus Story, that trims what he didn't want/they obliged the studio to do!
That feels like cheating, like when Jexhius asks people to give him only the good episodes of a Pretty Cure series. It's like selecting only a few Doctor Who episodes and skipping the boring crap. You take the good with the bad and later analyse the whole and how it works.

I watched the first three or four episodes of Gintama a few months ago and it didn't do much for me. Is it one of shows that you need to watch far into it before it gets good?

Narag

I watched the first three or four episodes of Gintama a few months ago and it didn't do much for me. Is it one of shows that you need to watch far into it before it gets good?

It's not bad to start but it doesn't find itself until around episode 25 when you really get a taste of what the show can be capable of.

DiGiKerot

The first couple of episodes, at least, display very little of what people actually like about Gintama. I wouldn't say it's one of shows you need to watch two dozen episodes of before you "get", but I think you'd get a pretty decent impression of whether you'd like it or not long term once you get maybe six or seven deep.

Jex

Hey, I can't all in good conscious discuss Nadia and not discuss the incident with the Island Arc. It's one of the most well known incidents of filler/"executive meddling" in any series because it's well known that the stress of suddenly having to stretch a two cour show to three cours was the direct cause of serious mental health issues for Anno.

It's entirely up the viewer how they will tackle the series knowing these facts. Will they:

A) Watch it all anyway knowing that the content is of inferior quality and has very little bearing on the story or characters (bar for a small portion ofcourse).
B) Skip all the filler apart from episodes 30+31, the only two episodes Anno would 'save' from the Island Arc
C) Watch Anno's "directors cut" of the entire series which basically removes all the filler but also dramatically alters some episodes which I think are fine as they were.

What I won't do is ignore the existence of the Island Arc and let people just stumble into blind because it would confuse the heck out of them and they'd probably (with good cause) drop the show like a rock. Considering how long the filler is it almost feels like it will never recover.

I don't think this is that weird, people recommend to skip the filler in long running shounen shows all the time.

-Minsc-

Gintama Episode 3

This.

Epic.png

Edit:

The first couple of episodes, at least, display very little of what people actually like about Gintama. I wouldn't say it's one of shows you need to watch two dozen episodes of before you "get", but I think you'd get a pretty decent impression of whether you'd like it or not long term once you get maybe six or seven deep.

For many of us it's the seamless to near seamless blend of tones Gintama pulls off much of the time. This is something lacking in earlier episodes as the show focuses more on the comedy. Gradually you are hit with bits of seriousness while the comedy begins to hit it's stride around episode 25. Eventually you reach a certain arc and go "WHOA". From then on there is no turning back.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hey, I can't all in good conscious discuss Nadia and not discuss the incident with the Island Arc. It's one of the most well known incidents of filler/"executive meddling" in any series because it's well known that the stress of suddenly having to stretch a two cour show to three cours was the direct cause of serious mental health issues for Anno.
Are we positive Nadia is at fault for this while ignoring his long-running emotional problems with women? I'll agree it probably didn't help.

Gundam AGE Episode 37 or "The AntProtagonists of this show.

After the events of the last episode. Kio gets a new perspective of this war. It's been a long time coming but it's now time to hear the perspective of the Vegans, from the Vegans!

I now want Kio to either:

a.
Fight for the Vegans because their reasoning for this war makes more sense than 'I want revenge because my mum and possible girlfriend died'
b.
Join his dad in his pirate crew because Asemu is more level-headed than his father and I think he'll listen to what his son has to say. Asemu also seems to care about his son as a human being and not a tool for revenge like Flit sees him as.

Next Episode:
A sad goodbye to Second Moon.

Ultimadrago

Also, for the guy who's watching Idolm@ster and just watched Hibiki's character episode, prepare for greatness. If I remember correctly, right after is when the show embarks on a narrative tour de force that makes the show a real diamond in the rough.

Well, this is good to hear!

Milamber

LoveLive! μ's Best Album「Best Live!collection」

I'm getting my LoveLive! fix. Thank the gods for it being a mediamix production. Way too much to gif so just pictures for now. Not only does this album come with a plethora of songs, it includes the animated music videos of the gang too. I'll only show the first 3 here as I'm still watching the rest.

Song 1. 僕らのLIVE 君とのLIFE

ibzaRh5kzTVIE.jpg
ix1emEarlQTmj.jpg

icu1LneP0l3AC.jpg
iv92ZiaZt5oxD.jpg
Song 2. Snow halation

iCXNvvEOXU8lY.jpg
iMAEk4BzN1Q0N.jpg

ibjyNNw0VBovmn.jpg
ibfQks8K0aPFbP.jpg
Song 3. 夏色えがおで1,2,Jump!

iiAytijBXW9TC.jpg
iS4NbxDU2Xe8E.jpg

i19DmdmPklDHv.jpg
iRnOOfaiNumYb.jpg

Nishikino Maki for life!

Novid

Banned
Oh my, I think the ships in that have more polygons than the ones in the Mass Effect anime. lol

They do have more Polys then because the way it was programed in the 80's than now. Its why all of the Intros from say the 1980's from CBS (NFL) where 20 years ahead of what everybody else did. Most of the CGI companies (outside of most of the french, Pixar, Weta Digital, etc) now they dont know how to fucking use a camera, but know everything to make a polygon look "pretty" in HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom