• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Are we positive Nadia is at fault for this while ignoring his long-running emotional problems with women? I'll agree it probably didn't help.

"Starting with episode 11, Anno was working up to 18 hours a day." If that doesn't start to wear you down, nothing will.

Jarmel

Banned
I doubt it's coincidental. Gunbuster is secretly Japanese imperialist power fantasy, which is mostly expressed in-universe in subtle ways that an American viewer would never notice or care about.

For example (this is the first thing I found on Google), someone wrote a series of blog posts on this subject, and in their sum-up of episode 6, they briefly discuss how Hawaii is portrayed during its short appearance in this episode. In short, there are a number of advertisements in Japanese, for Japanese goods. Why is that?

So there you go! They aren't using Japanese in Gunbuster (just) out of convenience; Japan is the leading superpower in the series.

So I went through the other posts in relation to the series and while the authors makes some very interesting point such as in episode 2, there also seems to be some stretching such as in episode 3 with the American pilot and the authored got called out for that in the comments. Still it was a very interesting read and something I didn't pick up on when I watched it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Bros 43
So why couldn't he just hold his breath?
I haven't watched episode 43 yet, but you would faint in less than fifteen seconds as oxygen stops reaching the brain, eventually resulting in death because, well, the brain's important. Climbers going to the Everest have to condition themselves for months in order to prepare for the low oxygen levels up there, and even then they bring along oxygen tanks in order to not fall dead on the snow.
"Starting with episode 11, Anno was working up to 18 hours a day." If that doesn't start to wear you down, nothing will.
Crazy.

When should I expect to reach "that" point? I didn't know the show had a "that" point, which I am assuming will be like the Arlong arc in One Piece when the show became top-notch.
yep pretty much..It's get warmer and warmer and suddenly it's hot..

failure moe:
chiaki_sceneyhkzf.gif

You want Chiaki only? Here:
chiaki_solo18jdq.gif
Thank you very much

It pains me how much that gif fails to do the scene justice.
Yep .... It's much much better in the episode !

Narag

AKB0048 The Next Stage 18

Hot damn, sometimes I forget this is part tense military drama. Guess it's par for the course when you invade Space Nazi Germany. Fairly certain that ending qualifies as hot blooded too.
I hope Makoto keeps that new look.

Hunter x Hunter 65
tumblr_mhmto6chnM1qlp4x9o2_500.gif
tumblr_mhmr55VedL1rgwn8ho1_500.jpg

Nen is getting more and more awesome especially how it can be combined for upclose and then these long range skills combined with elements. Electric eel Killua ftw and whatever Gons skill will evolve into in a few days. Plot
was sad that Killua left the island. I thought he'd get less screentime but they still gave him lots and by the preview guess even more time at the exam. I thought he didnt want to become a hunter and would just rely on Gon so that was surprising. Even more the Phantom Troupe just vanishing easily, thought they'd put up more of a fight there. Hoping the guy with the creature can avenge the others that died from the bomber squad

Great hunterpedia as usual, really like the song there, feels like an rpg.

Ezalc

I haven't watched episode 43 yet, but you would faint in less than fifteen seconds as oxygen stops reaching the brain, eventually resulting in death because, well, the brain's important. Climbers going to the Everest have to condition themselves for months in order to prepare for the low oxygen levels up there, and even then they bring along oxygen tanks in order to not fall dead on the snow.

But he would be holding his breath. He'd at least have however much oxygen he last breathed in. I think he could stretch that out for a few minutes or something at least.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
After an intense 24 hours of marathoning, Yes! Precure 5 CONQUERED. On to Futari wa. Let's see how long I last until I burn out.

I missed this last night but congrats!

Nope but Regulus jumped the gun so I guess there's not going to be one now :lol

Just ditch Splash Star and follow along at your own pace. I'll be light on images and safe with spoilers to avoid affecting anyone else's experience.

Will do!

It's fine. I wanted an excuse to post Candy Boy anyway. :D

You're a good person.

You should get yourself checked for anomalies in your brain first.

Simulwatches are gonna be difficult for me for a variety of reasons. :( Sorry guyz.

Motherfucking backlog season.

Don't sweat it! :)

Syrinx

cajunator's Sailor Moon have gotten me all excited for some reason. I now want to rewatch all of it (or what I have watched).

Too bad I really don't have the time to stuff in a rewatch.

cajunator's Sailor Moon have gotten me all excited for some reason. I now want to rewatch all of it (or what I have watched).

Too bad I really don't have the time to stuff in a rewatch.

I know, I wanna rewatch too, but all I have are all Doom Tree VHS tapes. lol.

Will have to pick up a boxset at some point.

If you are a Makoto fan, the Idolm@ster anime is must see.
She is a baller in that show. Absolute goddess.

You trying to kill me here? xD

Metrotab

Banned
Welcome to the NHK! - 3

FUCK YEAH
TIME TO WRITE A VISUAL NOVEL

Nah, but seriously, please tell me the next arc (if not the show) is going to be about them writing a VN. I'm totally on board for such a tale of baroque adventures.

Kagami

Aki Sora ~In a Dream~ (FINISHED)
This was a fun little manga even if I'm still not sure what exactly happened in the ending.

Utawarerumono + OVA (FINISHED)
I blind-bought the BD box for this back in the early days of anime BD releases because I was hungry for more Blu-ray. Had a pretty good time with it.
The occasional compression noise in the video is a shame though--not sure if I should blame that on the use of MPEG-2 instead of AVC/x264 or if it's just poorly encoded and MPEG-2 could do better than that, but it'd be nice if they did a re-release some day at the same encoding quality as the OVAs.

Sora no Woto (Still on ep. 6)
Finish this!

cajunator

Banned
This was a fun little manga even if I'm still not sure what exactly happened in the ending.

I blind-bought the BD box for this back in the early days of anime BD releases because I was hungry for more Blu-ray. Had a pretty good time with it.
The occasional compression noise in the video is a shame though--not sure if I should blame that on the use of MPEG-2 instead of AVC/x264 or if it's just poorly encoded and MPEG-2 could do better than that, but it'd be nice if they did a re-release some day at the same encoding quality as the OVAs.

Finish this!

Utawarerumono is all about Eruruu and her amazing tail.

DiGiKerot

The Japanese set? Can't say I ever noticed any particularly obnoxious compression issues, but then I only watched it the once, and I was probably too staggered by exactly how much of an upgrade from DVD it was to pay that much attention in that regard.

Jarmel

Banned
Overman King Gainer 1-
ibk2ykEZvXqSNs.jpg

Who the hell designs these outfits?
Well this was entertaining. I definitely can't say it was a boring episode. The pacing in this is insane. Within 7 minutes,
the main character has been arrested and is already in a jailbreak
. I love how the main character's names are Gain and Gainer. This feels like the show is missing some scenes though.
This scene doesn't really feel deserved due to the fact that Gainer met Gain pretty much a day ago at max. Gainer himself also really doesn't fit any teenager model I've seen considering he's casually wielding a gun at a person despite a lack of a military background and seems perfectly willing to go with the flow. One interesting thing of note is the attention to detail at times and then proceeding to ignore it. One example is when Gain uses his jacket to muffle gunshots and then later is shot with a bulletproof jacket on and shrugs off the damage when in reality a shot should still cause significant bruising and knocking the breath out of someone.

Another interesting thing to note is in regards to the worldbuilding. There's a lot of terminology that is thrown around and isn't really explained but the audience does get a sense of what the technology does, even if they don't have an understanding of the history. More of the worldbuilding is focused in the background on the history of the culture and planet.

As for the art, well the main reason I'm watching this show is because of the Kenichi Yoshida character designs and art. Another main reason is the mech stuff and how Eiji Nakada worked on it.

There are definitely some tropes in this such as the random kid getting into a mech and not only that but also being an ace in it. That's to be expected though due it being Tomino. There's even the popular idol/singer aspect as well.

In short;
tumblr_lgvth3b0Ne1qc012x.gif

Syrinx

Let's see...today's the Super Bowl, so no animu for today. For the rest of this week, I'm considering getting back into K-ON!! after taking a little break from it. I'll also probably watch more Black Lagoon, though I wasn't particularly impressed with the first episode. Not sure about iDOLM@STER. Maybe toward the end of the week I'll watch one or two eps.

Narag

Let's see...today's the Super Bowl, so no animu for today. For the rest of this week, I'm considering getting back into K-ON!! after taking a little break from it. I'll also probably watch more Black Lagoon, though I wasn't particularly impressed with the first episode. Not sure about iDOLM@STER. Maybe toward the end of the week I'll watch one or two eps.

Thinking about a week off from tv stuff (aside from airing/stuff I've just about finished) myself so I can get some movies/OVAs out of the way.

Well, the separation is understandable I was just wondering if there was any bleed through. Apparently not!

Toonami is an action block, which for many people is the only acceptable genre of anime. They come in here and see crap like Tamako Market and they'll go running right back to that thread.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 22 (The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III)
tumblr_mhnks6YsMU1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mhnl0n6GYk1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Less real, the better. What an odd reference, I never even heard of it before. Really took an unexpected turn again as Haruhi never fails to surprise. I like how most stuff in the show is explained the same way.
it happened because Haruhi wanted it too, and the worlds common sense is not hers, and etc. No true explanation for where the laser came from it just appeared.

Opening discussion was my favorite part because Koizumi reacted to Haruhi's suggestion that he needs more screentime, and Kyons comments about it.

DiGiKerot

Not to start off on an aggressively negative note or anything, but the DokiDoki Precure OP is, like, several tiers below the Smile one in pretty much every discernible way.

Andrew J.

Now, call me crazy but I'd assume that when an editor reads that he or she would probably try and make sure that 'stale' isn't used twice in the same paragraph.

Maybe, but that isn't necessarily a virtue.

Mark Twain said:
...in English, when we have used a word a couple of times in a paragraph, we imagine we are growing tautological, and so we are weak enough to exchange it for some other word which only approximates exactness, to escape what we wrongly fancy is a greater blemish. Repetition may be bad, but surely inexactness is worse.

Necrovex

Gintama Episode 4

Untitled_zpse1066ce7.png

I am sure Hyouin Kyouma would be willing to assist you with that request.

Untitled_zps6667ab96.png

Solid Snake would be proud...and then quickly disappointed at those two.

So, are the perms and the crew cut gangs suppose to be Gintama's version of the Crips and Bloods?

Well, you're going to have to devote more time to watching and less time to viewing GAF if you ever want to get through that mountain of content!

A man's Gaf is as precious as a man's Jump.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
But he would be holding his breath. He'd at least have however much oxygen he last breathed in. I think he could stretch that out for a few minutes or something at least.
That depends on an individual's lung capacity and hemoglobin levels. At best most people can't go without taking a gasp of breath for longer than three minutes, so that will have to do on whatever the episode was asking here.

Kagami

The Japanese set? Can't say I ever noticed any particularly obnoxious compression issues, but then I only watched it the once, and I was probably too staggered by exactly how much of an upgrade from DVD it was to pay that much attention in that regard.
Yeah, it's not constant or anything, just every now and then.

Here's a couple of crops from the opening:

i2MPe9RGzgq1r.png

ikQ2koNH7Fbuo.png

Jex

Maybe, but that isn't necessarily a virtue.

Absolutely, it's certainly more of a guideline than rule, However in this case the sentence construction wasn't exactly on a Mark Twain level, it was just unnecessarily repetitive and boring.

Steroyd

On the flipside, his time limit should have been shortened when he was running with the buggy. I'm suspecting that there's an air flow within the whole system, to stop him from breathing in his own carbon dioxide, which is probably why the timelimit didn't change despite the changing circumstances to the amount of oxygen he personally used.

Jex

Not to start off on an aggressively negative note or anything, but the DokiDoki Precure OP is, like, several tiers below the Smile one in pretty much every discernible way.

Well it's not really your fault if the show starts off on such a negative note!

Theonik

That rights, Dirty Pair is secretly one of the most progressive anime ever. It's probably the only series to tackle (and by tackle I mean support) transgender themes and have sweet shoot-outs in the same episode.
Totaly didn't expect that from an 80s anime. Was a pretty pleasant surprise. The whole plot surrounding it was bonkers too.
And now here's the marketing director with a machine-gun

Hmm, I see the UK BD release of Code:Geass season 1 is available for the extremely reasonable asking price of £26.99. Considering that the DVD originally retailed at £40 that's quite an offer.
It's actually 26.00 on Amazon.co.uk, they included the commentaries btw, though left out creditless OPs and EDs

Ojamajo Doremi

It's A Good Show!

*thumbs up*
I'm on it! On episode 14 now

I doubt it's coincidental. Gunbuster is secretly Japanese imperialist power fantasy, which is mostly expressed in-universe in subtle ways that an American viewer would never notice or care about.

For example (this is the first thing I found on Google), someone wrote a series of blog posts on this subject, and in their sum-up of episode 6, they briefly discuss how Hawaii is portrayed during its short appearance in this episode. In short, there are a number of advertisements in Japanese, for Japanese goods. Why is that?

So there you go! They aren't using Japanese in Gunbuster (just) out of convenience; Japan is the leading superpower in the series.
Oh, I know why it was picked probably has to do with that. Japan being the ruler of earth in the Gunbuster universe isn't subtle at all anyway, I mean earth's military is called "The Imperial Defence something" and is stationed in Japan. There are other places where it's obvious too. The reason I mentioned it is a) It is kinda cheesy to choose that date for the potential destruction of the earth. b) It happens to be my birthday :( mostly the later though.

Of course, as this is my own personal viewing of the show I'm not going to suffer through 23 - 34 like some kind of masochist. If you do that you really only have yourself to blame. Instead what I'll be doing, and what I recommend you do yourselves, is watch 30,31 and then come back in to watch in sequence at 35. Screw the rest, you don't need them and they were never supposed to be part of the story.
But how can you know what is good if you haven't seen the bad? They actually sprinkle actual story development between the eps at the pace of a grain per episode so they aren't 100% skipable. If it wasn't for the summary at the start of each episode they'd be hard to skip even!

Jex

But how can you know what is good if you haven't seen the bad? They actually sprinkle actual story development between the eps at the pace of a grain per episode so they aren't 100% skipable. If it wasn't for the summary at the start of each episode they'd be hard to skip even!

I've experienced enough parts of them earlier to know that what I'm missing is extremely minor. Apart from the episodes I've chosen to watch (30/31, 35) most of the material that is covered in the filler is rather ancillary to the series and characters, so much so that Anno excised nearly all of it. Are those tiny shreds of content worth experiencing basically an entire cours worth of filler for? Absolutely not, in the same way that I would never watch any recap episode that sprinkles in about 30 seconds of new content or character perspective on the events: that stuff can bugger off. How the characters moved from A to B to C is far less important than the tone and pace that the series had going for it before the Island Arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom