• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Rocket Robin Hood - Dementia 5
RRH006.png
Dark Cat spiritual successor.

Gintama Movie and Benizakura arc

The extra bits on the movie where really worth, other than the Shinsegumi inclusion, the flashbacks with Shouyou-sensei where a nice adition.
I liked in the TV arc the explanation of why he "admires" Shinsuke, and why the silver light of Gintoki irritates him.
The fights were much nicer in the Movie adaptation, but the Movie is something to see after the TV episodes...
but even like this at the end there were some unfamiliar faces.
The meta talk at the beginning and end where hilarious.
I liked this more serious arc.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Why must all Precure monsters be so goofy? The bad guys here are all srs bsns, even.

I guess that they can't risk scaring the kids, although once in a great while something slips by that's much more dangerous and beastly-looking.

For instance, during the course of my Yes! Precure 5 marathon yesterday, there was an episode where the monster of the week turned out to be a gigantic hell stallion with a mane of black flames and huge fangs and claws, made even better by the fact that the villain mounts the monster with a giant fucking lance. It was probably the most creative fight in the season, in no small part due to the fact that the Cures had to face something that had realistic animal agility instead of a giant lumbering electrical appliance:

Gundam AGE Episode 39 or "Bait and Switch"

Just when I thought "Hey those Vegans aren't so bad. Maybe Kio should fight for them instead." They pull the
perfect race thing. [Paraphrased] "I won't kill all of the Federation, I'll kill most of the Federation! Oh and kill most of my own people! It's because I want to make a superior human race and then we'll get no more war but the thing is I have to start a war so that we have no more war and wouldn't that mean I wouldn't be part of the perfect race because I started the war? I'm an idiot!"

Who am I meant to root for in this show anymore? The pirates? Haro? Those three kids on the Diva?

Next Episode:
Another day, another new Gundam.

PsionBolt

Doki Doki

I guess it's impossible to have two good PreCure shows back to back, right?

You know, this seems to be a thing with franchises in general. Sailor Moon even fits the pattern! But for Precure, we've had two bad in a row (Yes 5 and GoGo) and two good in a row (Fresh and Heartcatch), so hopefully not.

No worries though, Dokioki haters. I'll enjoy it enough for all of you.
Of course, I'll watch it no matter how bad it is. At least until new Sailor Moon can supply an alternative magical girl fix.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Would I ever recommend a show and not be upfront about it being terrible? Vampire Princess Miyu TV comes at the standard magical girl tropes and formula from a new angle and it's a genuinely great show. Admittedly it's come at the genre from a horror angle but that's a perfectly legitimate angle. It's got an awesome soundtrack, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0hZ3vbjFWY
Hrm... Wiki makes it sound a bit like gender-swapped Natsume.

BluWacky

No worries though, Dokioki haters. I'll enjoy it enough for all of you.
Of course, I'll watch it no matter how bad it is. At least until new Sailor Moon can supply an alternative magical girl fix.

I'm not a big fan of Precure, but I did used to love Sailor Moon. I wonder whether the remake will live up to my memories of SM, or whether it'll turn out I'm just not really into magical girl shows any more...

Ultimadrago

The iDOLM@STER 18

Finally, the best two characters in the show on-stage together! 4th place had to sit out due to unforeseen circumstances, though her exclusion was much, much more than worth it. I always had a feeling Ritsuko's character would deliver is a sizable way and here it is! Idol Ritsuko Ryuuguu Komachi is the best Ryuuguu Komachi.

An additional note is that her
fans from the past
have good taste in colors, as green is indeed the best. I wonder if there any official information confirming whether green is her favorite color or not.

This makes for another stronger episode focused on a character, in a row even, and on one of the best characters no less. It was really enjoyable. Most of my favorites got poor or eye-roll inducing, goofy episodes until now. I hope this streak isn't jinxing anything. Regardless, these past two episodes have been swell.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
DokiDoki Precure - 01

The good: Already have my OTP made and highly doubt it will change.

The bad: The pilot was somewhat weak, didn't grab me instantly like HeartCatch and Smile.

As people mentioned before, Cure Sword is the best.

I do like the ED though, OP was pretty disappointing.

Ultimadrago

Each iDOL has their identifying colour:

This can be seen in the READY OP and in one of the EDs as well with the use of coloured arrows.

So Ritsuko does represent green. Awesome.

Miki is green too? Yuck.

Well, to be fair, Ritsuko is the good shade of green. That sets her apart appropriately.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So do you guys think the cynicism and pessimism in AnimeGAF is due to NeoGAF's skepticism and critical thinking as a whole? The people here are (mostly) smart and are (mostly) assholes. I wonder what sets you people off.

No, we're just realistic.

If we weren't who we were, Sword Art Online and JoJo would've taken spots #1 and #2, respectively, on the AOTY poll.

Also fuck that "Skeptics" thread. Biggest waste of time, followed closely by the "Atheism" thread.

mAcOdIn

So do you guys think the cynicism and pessimism in AnimeGAF is due to NeoGAF's skepticism and critical thinking as a whole? The people here are (mostly) smart and are (mostly) assholes. I wonder what sets you people off.
Lol. Mostly assholes? You decided to qualify that statement with a "mostly?" Now I'm pissed, ok, not really.

Why can't it just be that most anime sucks and on top of it most anime's already aimed at a younger demographic anyways making that suckage even more apparent when it's not even aimed at your demographic either. That and I think most of the people here are masochists and, in being masochistic, are just treating each other how they want to be treated. It is the golden rule after all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's because I only watch anime at 240 fps.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I have no idea what you're talking about. This is a happy thread!

OceanBlue

Dang it you guys. I refreshed to see if anyone responded, and then all of the responses appeared after I edited my post. :(

Also fuck that "Skeptics" thread. Biggest waste of time, followed closely by the "Atheism" thread.

Doesn't sound like a pleasant thread.

Narag

So do you guys think the cynicism and pessimism in AnimeGAF is due to NeoGAF's skepticism and critical thinking as a whole?

I suppose folk are just comfortably aware of Sturgeon's Law. I'd think most shows are typically "what you see is what you get" so quality judgments can be made early. It's nice to end up getting something great even after a poor start but surely that's the exception and not the rule.

Nafe

Wasurenagumo

T1xcG8c.jpg

Wow! For a one shot show that was about the length of your standard anime episode, this is really good! I personally loved it! I know I'm late to voting for it in regards to AOTY 2012 and it's too bad it didn't make the top ten. Only so many shows can and ultimately though I think it comes down to hopefully bringing more awareness to a show and it's quality in general, which I hope to promote in regards to Wasurenagumo here.

Right from the get go I really liked the art. From the general detailing and layout to the designs themselves. The show has some pretty great animation as well. Pretty much right at the start you're treated to a nice action piece set in more feudal times. Even when the story comes back to the present however it keeps a nice lively visual atmosphere. The characters actions, body language and facial reactions are all quite expressive. Understandable given the situation, haha. The little girl doesn't have a name but she was pretty lively as well. I also found out the main girl's seiyuu is Asami Shimoda, who does the voice of everyone's favorite idol twins haha. She does the voice for Nafe as well!

I also like the general theme's of the show as well. That mixing of looking at the past and how things are now in the future as well as old myths or legends mixing with the modern world. On the one hand, possibly due to time restrictions, the story is quite simple but at the same time it's quite powerful.

I don't want to give away any details as I think watching the show not really knowing what to expect is the best action but I really like this show and highly recommend watching it whenever you get a chance.

---

(The following contains Major Spoilers for those who haven't watched this show yet so please don't read if you haven't seen it!)

I have to say I wasn't really surprised at what happened to the girl but more how it happened. Honestly the part after with the shop keeper I think I found much more shocking and surprising.

Even when the show had this more lighthearted flair to it such as the spider girl comedically biting the main girls head or her trying to shoo her away there always felt this pervasive darker tone creeping under everything for me. Due to the origin story and how she was introduced along with things being more blunt such as the visuals of her during the latter part of the story or on the rooftop. I did like how her black twintailed type hair combined with the red ring accessories kind of made the back of her head look like a spider there. Pretty much the whole time I was worried about what was going to happen to the main girl and the guy.

When the web appeared I thought maybe it was all a big red herring perhaps but then of course what happens next didn't really shock me but made me think, OK they went through with it after all. The visuals there with what looked like a large image of a woman and then the giant legs sticking out of the water and closing in are pretty memorable.

I suppose some things are ultimately left vague however. The details around the shop keeper and also did the mother get set free as well or was she supposedly always at the bottom of the lake? That part seems kind of silly if it was to be the latter.

OceanBlue

Wasurenagumo

The characters actions, body language and facial reactions are all quite expressive.

I also like the general theme's of the show as well. That mixing of looking at the past and how things are now in the future as well as old myths or legends mixing with the modern world. On the one hand, possibly due to time restrictions, the story is quite simple but at the same time it's quite powerful.

All of these sound like good things. Plus, the girl in the picture looks cute as well. I guess I should give it a try.

Dang it you guys. I refreshed to see if anyone responded, and then all of the responses appeared after I edited my post. :(

Doesn't sound like a pleasant thread.

Well we waste a lot of time on the internet discussing cartoons and video games since we clearly have nothing better to do. That probably explains our disposition.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
All of these sound like good things. Plus, the girl in the picture looks cute as well. I guess I should give it a try.

Please watch it. It's quite an experience!

I'm being completely honest when I say I forgot about this when voting in the AotY thread, otherwise it'd probably be in my top 10.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Each iDOL has their identifying colour:

This can be seen in the READY OP and in one of the EDs as well with the use of coloured arrows.

Yukiho with that purity. Suck it haters!

===================

Was about to start Futari wa Precure and saw that specific season actually has a sequel. Going to try and knock this season out first before I start that one up.

Futari wa Precure: Splash☆Star - 03

Man I cannot tell you how happy I am
we got sports themed episode where the girls actually win!
I see they're also pushing the significance of hand holding as it appears even when they're not performing their finishing moves it gives them that extra boost of power when they need it. Pretty cool! :D

cajunator

Banned
In my case, it's even worse. I do have better things to do, but I spend my time on NeoGAF anyway.

Same.
Being on animeGaf is a conscious choice even thougH I have plenty of other things I could be doing.
I could go fishing or to the rifle range more often. I could go to various festivals and downtown events. Nope Id rather be here with yall XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom