• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Futari wa Precure - 01

iLqAuGg.png
h7acDYy.png

A lacrosse player, a scientist, hand holding power ups, and rainbow colored transformations? I'm so down! (
again :lol
) I can already tell I'm going to be a Nagisa fan. I got a good laugh when she
tripped her younger brother and yelled at him for tattling
. Not to mention she has the hearts of her fellow female classmates from what we saw of those love letters. Swag.

OP is fast paced and gets you hyped, I love it.

One thing though: Nagisa better drop that
boy crush
act ASAP! :mad:

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Futari wa Precure - 01

A lacrosse player, a scientist, hand holding power ups, and rainbow colored transformations? I'm so down! (
again :lol
) I can already tell I'm going to be a Nagisa fan.
Good choice, Hokona is BORING.
Not to mention she has the hearts of her fellow female classmates from what we saw of those love letters. Swag.
[...]
boy crush
It's obvious she's gonna end up doing the deed with Forehead-chan.

something i've just noticed.... it seems like every season of initial D has a completely different art director. Everyone looks completely different lol.

tsk sdburton let splashstar go.

Tsk

Watching all 3 first seasons in a row is not recommanded.

Also give splashstar a chance, it's great.

Anyway enjoy "futari wa" it's the season that started it all so of course it's good.

Do you think that anime as a medium doesn't have the capacity to make critical statements? Do you like works in other mediums that have a more profound touch to them?

I think if one is trying to craft such a story to make those statements then they should only do such in novels. It seems contrary to the purpose of anime to do that and kind of a waste of time as such a story would better be handled if one could read it and reflect upon it at their own pace, and really could it even be enjoyable or entertaining as an anime? Why else would the most provacative and defining classical literature pieces not have anime?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Tsk

Anyway enjoy futari wa it's the season that started it all so of course it's good.

I tried the first ep recently, can't say I found it particularly gripping but I'm up for more.

PsionBolt

Futari wa Precure - 01

boy crush

Heh. It's like you can't win!
Fujipi never goes away in FW / MH, while his equivalent in SS is only in like 3 episodes.
One of many ways Majora's Mask > Ocarina of Time --- I mean, Splash Star > Futari wa / Max Heart.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water] 14
Featuring Electra of the thousand faces.
OMG trilobites and giant prehistoric fish! So not only is Anno well-versed on relativity and theoretical physics, but he's also a paleonthology/biology fan! What a cool episode.

One thing I've especially noticed while watching this is how much Anno loves scenes with instructions being voiced down speakers dictating military procedure.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It's obvious she's gonna end up doing the deed with Forehead-chan.

We can only hope.

Tsk

Anyway enjoy "futari wa" it's the season that started it all so of course it's good.

I just put Splash Star on a temporary hold. I might squeeze in a few episodes here and there while I'm watching Futari wa Precure.

cajunator

Banned
[Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water] 14

Featuring Electra of the thousand faces.

OMG trilobites and giant prehistoric fish! So not only is Anno well-versed on relativity and theoretical physics, but he's also a paleonthology/biology fan! What a cool episode.

One thing I've especially noticed while watching this is how much Anno loves scenes with instructions being voiced down speakers dictating military procedure.

Theres actually an anime game with cute cambrian creature girls called Cambrian QTS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMksYZqUBjA

OceanBlue

I apologize for the paragraphs and for my scattered stream-of-consciousness writing style. I'm not really good at arranging my thoughts in a coherent way :(.

Wasurenagumo

Great animation in certain parts, but to be honest, at first I was disappointed (mostly due to my hype). The animation was definitely nice and smooth for the fight scene (and the fire was amazing!), but I feel that if the windup for certain movements were exaggerated a little more, the movements would've had much more impact. I guess that's a personal preference though. It was definitely great and a step above regular TV animation.

That being said, I feel that the animation really shined was when Mizuki was involved. There was obviously a lot of effort to make her expressive and interesting. Her fidgeting and her reactions are funny and full of action. It isn't her expressions that surprised me the most though. It was the animation of her body. Lol, I wish I could think of a way to make that sound not-weird. Scenes like Mizuki's chase at the end were amazing. There's a reason the sakuga MADs jumped on those scenes.

I also need to especially mention this cut, which really took me aback while I was watching (It's not a spoiler). That isn't a pan! Either it's the most seamless integration of CG I've ever seen, or it's one of the more interesting animation camerawork I've in a while. The way it adjusts the camera (and how the animation of Mizuki's body follows it) combined with the unorthodox angle, it's definitely something you can't imagine seeing in a regular TV production.

The staff definitely took a KyoAni approach to animating its characters where, like Haruhi, there was far more care in animating the main girl than anyone else. The guy's animation was far more boring in comparison. That was mostly why I was surprised and slightly disappointed, but the more I saw Mizuki, the more I was impressed.

My cute-girl side is gushing over Mizuki right now. Super-adorable. The animation really brought out her mannerisms, which is why I don't agree with people who say that slice of life "doesn't need great animation" (although that's its own discussion). I love her character-type too. She's a spunky, slightly girl-next-door girl, which is great for me (I really like plain-ish characters). Best character in the show. Worth watching for her alone.

I think it was held back by its length and I wish it had spent more time to develop the main guy. I'm not even talking about that much time. Maybe less than 10 extra minutes in the middle would've been fine. Despite all of my gushing on Mizuki and how much attention is on her both screentime-wise and dialogue-wise, the story is definitely about the main guy. I feel like the developing "relationship" between the main guy and the spider-girl could've been portrayed better. In this sense, I agree with Dresden about how the show is reliant on shock-factor. It forgoes development about the main guy in order to
create that bond with the viewer and Mizuki in preparation for the final scene. In a sense, what Wasurenagumo does reminds me of what people criticize Key shows of. Lol, so I don't get chased out of AnimeGAF with pitchforks, I need to mention that it's a very shallow comparison!

Otherwise, Nafe is right that it's a simple, but effective story. I can't really think of anything to say that isn't obvious, lol. My analytical skills aren't that great. The story establishes early on that something is wrong. I wouldn't say that the direction made an effort to keep an unsettling atmosphere throughout the beginning though. At least, in the cute scenes with the spider-girl, nothing made me think so. In my opinion, the unsettling atmosphere only exists due to a few key scenes. Instead, the show shifts its tone at a certain point, and a couple of cues such as
the web and the bags under the main guy's eyes
indicate where the story changes.

I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention stuff. But yeah, animation was great. Mizuki was great. Story was good, but I have opinions.

But that's exactly why you should vote for it.

There's a reason it provokes such a visceral reaction.
I appreciate what they were going for, but it sucks man. ;_;

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I apologize for the paragraphs and for my scattered stream-of-consciousness writing style. I'm not really good at arranging my thoughts in a coherent way :(.

Wasurenagumo

Great animation in certain parts, but to be honest, at first I was disappointed (mostly due to my hype). The animation was definitely nice and smooth for the fight scene (and the fire was amazing!), but I feel that if the windup for certain movements were exaggerated a little more, the movements would've had much more impact. I guess that's a personal preference though. It was definitely great and a step above regular TV animation.

That being said, I feel that the animation really shined was when Mizuki was involved. There was obviously a lot of effort to make her expressive and interesting. Her fidgeting and her reactions are funny and full of action. It isn't her expressions that surprised me the most though. It was the animation of her body. Lol, I wish I could think of a way to make that sound not-weird. Scenes like Mizuki's chase at the end were amazing. There's a reason the sakuga MADs jumped on those scenes.

I also need to especially mention this cut, which really took me aback while I was watching (It's not a spoiler). That isn't a pan! Either it's the most seamless integration of CG I've ever seen, or it's one of the more interesting animation camerawork I've in a while. The way it adjusts the camera (and how the animation of Mizuki's body follows it) combined with the unorthodox angle, it's definitely something you can't imagine seeing in a regular TV production.

The staff definitely took a KyoAni approach to animating its characters where, like Haruhi, there was far more care in animating the main girl than anyone else. The guy's animation was far more boring in comparison. That was mostly why I was surprised and slightly disappointed, but the more I saw Mizuki, the more I was impressed.

My cute-girl side is gushing over Mizuki right now. Super-adorable. The animation really brought out her mannerisms, which is why I don't agree with people who say that slice of life "doesn't need great animation" (although that's its own discussion). I love her character-type too. She's a somewhat-typical spunky girl, which is great for me (I really like plain-ish characters). Best character in the show. Worth watching for her alone.

I think it was held back by its length and I wish it had spent more time to develop the main guy. I'm not even talking about that much time. Maybe less than 10 extra minutes in the middle would've been fine. Despite all of my gushing on Mizuki and how much attention is on her both screentime-wise and dialogue-wise, the story is definitely about the main guy. I feel like the developing "relationship" between the main guy and the spider-girl could've been portrayed better. In this sense, I agree with Dresden about how the show is reliant on shock-factor. It forgoes development about the main guy in order to
create that bond with the viewer and Mizuki in preparation for the final scene. In a sense, what Wasurenagumo does reminds me of what people criticize Key shows of. Lol, so I don't get chased out of AnimeGAF with pitchforks, I need to mention that it's a very shallow comparison!

Otherwise, Nafe is right that it's a simple, but effective story. I can't really think of anything to say that isn't obvious, lol. My analytical skills aren't that great. The story establishes early on that something is wrong. I wouldn't say that the direction made an effort to keep an unsettling atmosphere throughout the beginning though. At least, in the cute scenes with the spider-girl, nothing made me think so. In my opinion, the unsettling atmosphere only exists due to a few key scenes. Instead, the show shifts its tone at a certain point, and a couple of cues such as
the web and the bags under the main guy's eyes
indicate where the story changes.

I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention stuff. But yeah, animation was great. Mizuki was great. Story was good, but I have opinions.

I appreciate what they were going for, but it sucks man. ;_;

I've seen a lot of animated pans like that in Bakemono and Nisemono, I don't think they're quite as uncommon as you do.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wasurenagumo
I agree with Dresden about how the show is reliant on shock-factor. It forgoes development about the main guy in order to
I think the difference here is that, while Key uses these setups to make the audience feel empathy to the main character in order to partake in the fantasy, Wasurenagumo is actively critiquing the people who become enamoured with cute moéblobesque loli characters like Spider Girl. It's making fun/deriding its audience instead of emotionally manipulating them into feeling "dem feels".

OceanBlue

I've seen a lot of animated pans like that in Bakemono and Nisemono, I don't think they're quite as uncommon as you do.

That's true, I forgot about those. The ones in the -monogatari series tend to be a lot more exaggerated though. I feel like they're done in a way in which the staff's inability to animate a gradual change in perspective is masked through those exaggerations (lots of zooming in, quick shifts in perspective, etc). I don't think they look nearly as nice as this one does. That being said, that's what I remember from the -monogatari series and I could be wrong. Not to mention that I'm not really knowledgeable about animation or cinematography.

BluWacky

I think if one is trying to craft such a story to make those statements then they should only do such in novels. It seems contrary to the purpose of anime to do that

What do you think the purpose of anime is?

From a viewer's perspective, I would think the purpose is to entertain. Some people get entertainment from seeing high school girls be pseudo-lesbians. Some people get entertainment from seeing giant robots smash each other to pieces. Some people get entertainment from being encouraged to think about broader themes. Anime - as with any form of entertainment - is capable of portraying or encouraging all of these things.

such a story would better be handled if one could read it and reflect upon it at their own pace

Do you feel similarly about live action TV drama/comedy, or even filmed documentaries? Do you think all audio-visual experiences should have no capacity for complexity or critical presentation/thought whatsoever, or is it just anime?

I get that anime is a bit like junk food for a lot of people, as with a lot of normal telly. We watch it for entertainment, and people get entertainment from all sorts of different things as per the above. But I don't see why all anime has to be like that.

I don't think Mature's question to you really reflects the route of my unease with your initial statement, which was:

well, I hate when anime makes us critically think, it should be simple and streamlined

What do you like about From The New World? Don't you think about any of the themes it presents, or what is going on, or the underlying motivations of the characters? That is thinking critically about something. Presenting a philosophical treatise or a scientific theorem is not the only way a work of "art" or "science" can provoke critical thought.

Why else would the most provacative and defining classical literature pieces not have anime?

Well, some of them are. Several of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales are anime; Tale of Genji was aired on noitaminA; Huck Finn was animated as Huckleberry no Bouken, etc. And that's leaving aside sci-fi re-imaginings like Moby Dick, the Odyssey (Ulysses 31) and others.

The influential books list are a list of mostly non-fiction texts that have inspired thought or literary form. You can't make an anime out of Sextus Empicirus's Outlines of Pyrrhonism; there is nothing to animate, unless you're making an animated documentary for university students.

(well, technically, Sextus Empiricus would tell us to suspend judgement as to whether there is, or is not, anything to animate, but merely exist in a state where such a thing might be so according to our sense impressions. Yes, I know, I really need to get out more.)

showx

Banned
Can someone recommend me some action anime? I'd like to watch something that is fast paced and that has relatable/likeable characters. The story doesn't have to make much sense .

BluWacky

Isn't Ophelia pretty moe or am I misremembering?

How moe is insanity? The last production I saw she was pushing a shopping trolley around like a crazy homeless lady, although she was wearing skimpy clothing at the time so I'm sure some otaku somewhere would have lapped it up.

OceanBlue

I think the difference here is that, while Key uses these setups to make the audience feel empathy to the main character in order to partake in the fantasy, Wasurenagumo is actively critiquing the people who become enamoured with cute moéblobesque loli characters like Spider Girl. It's making fun/deriding its audience instead of emotionally manipulating them into feeling "dem feels".
I didn't think it's a critique of people who become enamored with cute loli characters. I just thought it was a story of the dangers of obsession and the supernatural. That being said, I can see where you're coming from. How he
ends up being controlled by the spider-girl has an extra sardonic edge in that interpretation. But in that case, how does Mizuki fit and what does she represent thematically? Her role in an obsession theme makes sense to me because she's one of the important things that the main guy loses as a result of that dangerous obsession.

Mmm, if they actually developed the main character more, I think it would be easier for me to agree. I'm leaning more towards the obsession idea for now.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 14
iFiU1vtxQlkW0.png

Kayos am cry.
So I thought they couldn't make objects that stayed real without the magical stage. They did go up a level now but I thought they were 2 levels behind what it gave them? What gives! Them frogs. Also :SDBurton.

Mature

Can someone recommend me some action anime? I'd like to watch something that is fast paced and that has relatable/likeable characters. The story doesn't have to make much sense .
Have any shows you've seen previously to compare to what you're looking for?

Off the top of my head: Samurai Champloo and Darker than Black both have stories that are secondary to their great action. Not to say that their characters or plot are completely negligible though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Wasurenagumo]
I didn't think it's a critique of people who become enamored with cute loli characters. I just thought it was a story of the dangers of obsession and the supernatural. That being said, I can see where you're coming from. How he
ends up being controlled by the spider-girl has an extra sardonic edge in that interpretation. But in that case, how does Mizuki fit and what does she represent thematically? Her role in an obsession theme makes sense to me because she's one of the important things that the main guy loses as a result of that dangerous obsession.
I'm working from the angle of The Evil Demon Seductress here, except taken to the logical extreme of what you do when otaku tastes keep on leaning towards the younger. I think we agreed last time we had this discussion in here that this is a story that has been repeated a lot in anime, but every time the female character gets lolier!
Mizuki would be the real 3D woman who's obviously interested in the main dude but gets ignored for the fantastic surreal construct.
Mmm, if they actually developed the main character more, I think it would be easier for me to agree. I'm leaning more towards the obsession idea for now.
What's the difference? lol

The Qwaser of Stigmata.

Though I would guess something more along the lines of Gunbuster or Gurren Lagann are more of what you want.
I heard about Evangelion. I heard it sucked!

How did they handle the part where Moses talks to the burning bush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom