• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OceanBlue said:
So do you guys think the cynicism and pessimism in AnimeGAF is due to NeoGAF's skepticism and critical thinking as a whole? The people here are (mostly) smart and are (mostly) assholes. I wonder what sets you people off.

I would like to think that Im seen as smart and can critically think (well, I hate when anime makes us critically think, it should be simple and streamlined), though I hope I dont have pessimistic or er cynical comments.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I would like to think that Im seen as smart and can critically think (well, I hate when anime makes us critically think, it should be simple and streamlined), though I hope I dont have pessimistic or er cynical comments.

lgRyirp.png

Soul Eater 51

That was so stupid, it was awesome.

Still a good end to this series. It didn't make much sense, it was pretty much well gotta give them an ending kind of ending so might as well make it the most nonsensible one we can!

But the show was still pretty enjoyable. A little weigh down by words and BONES got pretty lazy in the second half in being creative, but I had a blast.

Omigawa is in my good books now after this series.

Shergal

Wasurenagumo

(The following contains Major Spoilers for those who haven't watched this show yet so please don't read if you haven't seen it!)

Even when the show had this more lighthearted flair to it such as the spider girl comedically biting the main girls head or her trying to shoo her away there always felt this pervasive darker tone creeping under everything for me. Due to the origin story and how she was introduced along with things being more blunt such as the visuals of her during the latter part of the story or on the rooftop. I did like how her black twintailed type hair combined with the red ring accessories kind of made the back of her head look like a spider there. Pretty much the whole time I was worried about what was going to happen to the main girl and the guy.

What worked so well for me was that you could perceive the show as a more or less standard "magical girlfriend" show with the gimmick of the spider at first, but as it progressed it got gradually more serious and edgy until... well, THAT scene. I wasn't really shocked that the main girl died, but the scene with her falling onto a giant spider sent chills down my spine anyway. I think it's probably the fact that we never see the mother properly what makes it so ominous and effective.

The ending theme was boss, also.

Gundam AGE Episode 38 or "The Future Diary"

This episode was pretty emotional. In a rare occurence I cared about a character in this show.
Ru's 'Future Diary' will stick with Kio for the rest of his life or until Flit finds out his grandson had a fond interest in a Vegan 'The devil race' as he calls it.

These two episodes did a good job in showing the humanity of the Vegans, to the point that
Ezelcant has been giving the Federation chances to survive in every single operation so that they know that life is precious. I don't see him going 'I want to wipe out the Federation' unlike a certain cranky old man who pilots a Gundam every once in a while.

I liked this arc. It'll be interesting to see what Kio does next.

Next Episode:
Vegan has a Gundam now.
Episode was good but everything that happenned was soooo predictable you could see everything happenning miles away.

Ezelcant strategy sucks .. big time .. it's really THE thing i can't forgive .. it's just dumb.
I guess that they can't risk scaring the kids, although once in a great while something slips by that's much more dangerous and beastly-looking.

For instance, during the course of my Yes! Precure 5 marathon yesterday, there was an episode where the monster of the week turned out to be a gigantic hell stallion with a mane of black flames and huge fangs and claws, made even better by the fact that the villain mounts the monster with a giant fucking lance. It was probably the most creative fight in the season, in no small part due to the fact that the Cures had to face something that had realistic animal agility instead of a giant lumbering electrical appliance:
That episode was one of the best ..that's the one where cure aqua rides an horse , right ?
clearly one of the best "yes" episode ( but that's not saying much ).
Gundam AGE Episode 39 or "Bait and Switch"

Who am I meant to root for in this show anymore? The pirates? Haro? Those three kids on the Diva?
No one , everyone is dumb EVERYONE i tell you.
The three kids are even more useless than the 3 in eureka seven ... that's quite an achievement.

Was about to start Futari wa Precure and saw that specific season actually has a sequel. Going to try and knock this season out first before I start that one up.

Futari wa Precure: Splash☆Star - 03

Man I cannot tell you how happy I am
we got sports themed episode where the girls actually win!
I see they're also pushing the significance of hand holding as it appears even when they're not performing their finishing moves it gives them that extra boost of power when they need it. Pretty cool! :D

Splash star has these kind of hints all over the place.i knew you would find them !! Another reason why splash star so great

mAcOdIn

Oh, yeah, some of that stuff is weird - has Matsuri appeared yet? Can't remember how early they introduce her...
Yeah, she's was introduced in like episode 2 or 3.
And that is why you can only pay attention to Mr. Anno's own wisdom and follow his director's cut on The Nautilus Story, that trims what he didn't want/they obliged the studio to do!

All in all, as already brought in here (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44252410&postcount=12581), there were some bits worth defending, as some say, from the filler itself.
Hey, I can't all in good conscious discuss Nadia and not discuss the incident with the Island Arc. It's one of the most well known incidents of filler/"executive meddling" in any series because it's well known that the stress of suddenly having to stretch a two cour show to three cours was the direct cause of serious mental health issues for Anno.

It's entirely up the viewer how they will tackle the series knowing these facts. Will they:

A) Watch it all anyway knowing that the content is of inferior quality and has very little bearing on the story or characters (bar for a small portion ofcourse).
B) Skip all the filler apart from episodes 30+31, the only two episodes Anno would 'save' from the Island Arc
C) Watch Anno's "directors cut" of the entire series which basically removes all the filler but also dramatically alters some episodes which I think are fine as they were.

What I won't do is ignore the existence of the Island Arc and let people just stumble into blind because it would confuse the heck out of them and they'd probably (with good cause) drop the show like a rock. Considering how long the filler is it almost feels like it will never recover.

I don't think this is that weird, people recommend to skip the filler in long running shounen shows all the time.
This to me is skirting responsibility. I have no real way of knowing exactly what they wanted in and what they didn't and a later "Director's Cut" is little evidence either. Further, lots of shows get extended, I don't know if lots of anime get extended, but, to me not being able to pull that off is also a sign of your level of talent.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Was about to start Futari wa Precure and saw that specific season actually has a sequel. Going to try and knock this season out first before I start that one up.

Well, here's the thing: Splash Star is supposedly really similar to Futari wa. Toei inexplicably ditched the FwPC duo for a new duo that was essentially exactly the same as the old one. R_Thanatos or 7Th can maybe explain why this happened because I don't know enough about these respective installments yet, but Splash Star is, for all intents and purposes, a third season of Futari wa under a different name.

That episode was one of the best ..that's the one where cure aqua rides an horse , right ?
clearly one of the best "yes" episode ( but that's not saying much )

Yeah, that's the episode. Yes 5 might have four or five good episodes in the entire season, and 34 definitely had the best fight. There are a few sakuga fights that are technically better, but this was far and away the most creative.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Well, here's the thing: Splash Star is supposedly really similar to Futari wa. Toei inexplicably ditched the FwPC duo for a new duo that was essentially exactly the same as the old one. R_Thanatos or 7Th can maybe explain why this happened because I don't know enough about these respective installments yet, but Splash Star is, for all intents and purposes, a third season of Futari wa under a different name.

Wait a sec, so this season is basically an alternate universe of the first season?

Fuck it, I'll start with the first season of Futari wa and move forward from there. :lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wait a sec, so this season is basically a alternate universe of the first season?

Fuck it, I'll start with the first season of Futari wa and move forward from there. :lol

Well, superficially at least, Splash Star looks like a Futari wa reskin. That's all I'm saying!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
No, we're just realistic.

If we weren't who we were, Sword Art Online and JoJo would've taken spots #1 and #2, respectively, on the AOTY poll.

Also fuck that "Skeptics" thread. Biggest waste of time, followed closely by the "Atheism" thread.

Ain't nothing wrong with that if that's how the community votes.

Dresden

Wasurenagumo was good, but not top-ten for me (ironically I ended up only voting for seven shows). Appreciated the wry commentary on obsession and its
deadly conclusion
, but something about how it's so reliant on that shock-factor bothered me. Kyousougiga deserved the votes far more.

---possibly the real reason---

I also forgot about it near the end of the year, and really, if a show is so forgettable then it probably doesn't deserve such a place in the first place. At least it was better than Buta.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If SAO had started a season later so the second half was broadcast this year then it could have done well. Apparently implied incest is just too much for regular Joe GAF.

Thoraxes

Soul Eater 51

Still a good end to this series. It didn't make much sense, it was pretty much well gotta give them an ending kind of ending so might as well make it the most nonsensible one we can!

But the show was still pretty enjoyable. A little weigh down by words and BONES got pretty lazy in the second half in being creative, but I had a blast.

Welcome!
Ain't nothing wrong with that if that's how the community votes.
Exactly.

Narag

If SAO had started a season later so the second half was broadcast this year then it could have done well. Apparently implied incest is just too much for regular Joe GAF.

Yet strangely they were fine with the tentacle monster loli stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Soul Eater 51

Why, hello there friend!

Branduil

So what started that post about GAF critical thinking? It was that Pachter thread wasn't it? I wonder if the anime industry has an equivalent to Pachter.

Something i noticed about doki doki precure... is it just me, or the more 'emotional' and 'teary' you are the only way to unlock them powers?

The android phone didn't work when she was confident and a strong lass.

hmmm

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just saw that thread so now I get the question (mostly).

Guess I'm one of those Nintendo fans he's talking about because I often point out any mistakes they make in the Bonus Round.

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 01

The sum up the plot of this episode: Pretty girls diss Iris, so she forces Ash and Cilan to crossdress so she can take revenge on them.

Episode sounds as amazing as you would imagine.

Nafe

chickdigger is back! :)
No more Ikaruga avatar... :(

---

All of these sound like good things. Plus, the girl in the picture looks cute as well. I guess I should give it a try.

I do recommend you give it a watch. Regardless to how you wind up feeling about it in the end, I think you'll agree it will leave an impression on you.

I hate you.

Haha, I knew you would.

Is that... a rabbit or a porcupine?

A porcubit?

What worked so well for me was that you could perceive the show as a more or less standard "magical girlfriend" show with the gimmick of the spider at first, but as it progressed it got gradually more serious and edgy until... well, THAT scene. I wasn't really shocked that the main girl died, but the scene with her falling onto a giant spider sent chills down my spine anyway. I think it's probably the fact that we never see the mother properly what makes it so ominous and effective.

The ending theme was boss, also.

Right, exactly. The images there are quite powerful and I think they'll stick with me for a while to come.

The ending theme was good too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 01

Qp7admD.jpg
Ash crossdressing is about as common as Team Rocket getting blast off at the speed of light.
Something i noticed about doki doki precure... is it just me, or the more 'emotional' and 'teary' you are the only way to unlock them powers?

The android phone didn't work when she was confident and a strong lass.

hmmm
She had to prove her worth as a Cure to unlock it, I guess.

Wait a sec, so this season is basically an alternate universe of the first season?

no no no no

Hell no.
They started from the same mold of ideas and went in another direction.

Things similar between futari wa and splash star:
-2 heroines ( at start )
-2 mascots ( sometimes ennoying )
-Handholding for the finish attacks
-One girl is good at sports , the other in litterature/science.
and that's it.
Both set of heroines while close in design have different personalities and desires.

Same start , different paths , differents twists ( way different ) different focus on the characters and splash star has much better villains.

what really happenned is that toei saw the money coming and decided that they couldn't focus on the same characters forever. So they made another season that looked similar ( at first glance so that people wouldn't complain , yet they did) they did their best to make it different.

Plenty of good things that happened in the precure franchise happenned in splashstar first.
( i could list them but that would be spoilers since so many of you haven't seen that season yet)
Splash star is the moment where toei tried to do things "new" while staying close to the original formula and it shows..

Mature

Do you think that anime as a medium doesn't have the capacity to make critical statements? Do you like works in other mediums that have a more profound touch to them?

Theres over 750episodes and they are still doing that?

No, not at all. They ditched Team Rocket's goofy self at the end of Diamond/Pearl and made them edgier, sneakier, just as much as a time waster in Black/White. They basically show up every once in a while, do something with a decent chance of success, fail and get away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom