• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Yeah, I didn't mean that post in the "you're late" kind of way. I was just commenting on what the thing was apparently about since I had no idea.
Ah, it just came off that sort of way then, especially with the first line.

To be fair I had no idea what the Annie awards were either until I saw the article.

Dresden

haganai31a.png

What the fuck, this is a billion times "prettier" than the absolutely awful and aggressively ugly Buriki character designs.
I'm convinced that people who don't agree about no-megane Rikka > megane Rikka are just unaware of the glorious manga versions.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm convinced that people who don't agree about no-megane Rikka > megane Rikka are just unaware of the glorious manga versions.

Rika looks 1000x better without glasses. Also, why the heck is she changing hairstyles every episode?

zeroshiki

Maybe I'd enjoy it more if I actually knew how to understand Japanese instead of having to read lines upon lines of subs. And this episode specifically will probably be better in retrospect when I finish this arc.

I don't think it has to do with subs or no subs :p You just have to find the mystery interesting or not, that's all. Yeah, I think you'll enjoy it more when they pay it off.

Ah, it just came off that sort of way then, especially with the first line.

To be fair I had no idea what the Annie awards were either until I saw the article.

Sorry if it came out that way.

We should go back to laughing about how Miyazaki didn't get an award but Akimoto Yasushi did.

Asu no Yoichi! 01

Great first impression.

Well that was at the very least a spirited first episode. Protag isn't bad at all, probably because he gets a pass for being raised in the mountains and all. While the girls at this point are nothing more than hair color and one trait, no one really bugged me so that's a plus.

Not really expecting much out of this probably besides it being a harem so here goes.

Asu no Yoichi! 01

Great first impression.

Well that was at the very least a spirited first episode. Protag isn't bad at all, probably because he gets a pass for being raised in the mountains and all. While the girls at this point are nothing more than hair color and one trait, no one really bugged me so that's a plus.

Not really expecting much out of this probably besides it being a harem so here goes.

Man this show was forgettable. I remember the green haired sister being voiced by Yukari Tamura, which is usually an automatic best girl card.

OceanBlue

Man this show was forgettable. I remember the green haired sister being voiced by Yukari Tamura, which is usually an automatic best girl card.

Green girl being the best is the only thing I remember from this. Well, I only read a little bit of the manga so I didn't get to hear Tamura play green.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sorry, fellow Cult of Yukko members. I just had to change the avatar. Yukko will be back though, I promise! For the moment though, I've been taken over by the :sdburton-ness of Candy Boy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
LU LA LU LA The piano is a melody in the world's field of blooming dreams
Believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Why is my heart waiting so much for that tender-hearted someone?
Tell me a wonderful future MOONLIGHT,MOONLIGHT SLEEPIN'

LU LA LU LA The girl of awakenings will kiss the apple of memories and
In a book opened with sorrow and longing, the bell meant for the two of us will
ring

Because I want to hold you tight my dear one
Don't cry any more GOOD BYE SADNESS
The words on the mysterious door read "Ear-playing-tricks Cake"

WONDERLAND! Welcome, to you FAIRYLAND! It's the magic of love
LOVE'S ALL THE WAY! Every day, the temptations of wheat, so fluffy

CAKE FOR YOU! Eat, for tonight is TEA FOR YOU! A tea-party in the constellations
The chorus of angels at the window is to you, just your ear playing tricks? The
voice saying "I love you, I love you"

cajunator

Banned
wiki/ann says another show called Kyō no Go no Ni used it as an ED theme for three eps

Yup that's what I was thinking of!

Hyouka 9

Chitanda slowly gets drunk off of whiskey chocolate over the course of 20 minutes. That's all that happens. Though that in of itself makes it better than episode 4 or whatever one it was.
Kazzy is crazy.
I will always refer to her as such from now on

Kazzy...that's adorable! It fits her!

It's better than Cat Planet Cuties.

Nonsense!

LU LA LU LA The piano is a melody in the world's field of blooming dreams
Believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Why is my heart waiting so much for that tender-hearted someone?
Tell me a wonderful future MOONLIGHT,MOONLIGHT SLEEPIN'

LU LA LU LA The girl of awakenings will kiss the apple of memories and
In a book opened with sorrow and longing, the bell meant for the two of us will
ring

Because I want to hold you tight my dear one
Don't cry any more GOOD BYE SADNESS
The words on the mysterious door read "Ear-playing-tricks Cake"

WONDERLAND! Welcome, to you FAIRYLAND! It's the magic of love
LOVE'S ALL THE WAY! Every day, the temptations of wheat, so fluffy

CAKE FOR YOU! Eat, for tonight is TEA FOR YOU! A tea-party in the constellations
The chorus of angels at the window is to you, just your ear playing tricks? The
voice saying "I love you, I love you"

Somebody's been Od'ing on Azudai.

Branduil

Wasurenagumo

T1xcG8c.jpg

Wow! For a one shot show that was about the length of your standard anime episode, this is really good! I personally loved it! I know I'm late to voting for it in regards to AOTY 2012 and it's too bad it didn't make the top ten. Only so many shows can and ultimately though I think it comes down to hopefully bringing more awareness to a show and it's quality in general, which I hope to promote in regards to Wasurenagumo here.

Right from the get go I really liked the art. From the general detailing and layout to the designs themselves. The show has some pretty great animation as well. Pretty much right at the start you're treated to a nice action piece set in more feudal times. Even when the story comes back to the present however it keeps a nice lively visual atmosphere. The characters actions, body language and facial reactions are all quite expressive. Understandable given the situation, haha. The little girl doesn't have a name but she was pretty lively as well. I also found out the main girl's seiyuu is Asami Shimoda, who does the voice of everyone's favorite idol twins haha. She does the voice for Nafe as well!

I also like the general theme's of the show as well. That mixing of looking at the past and how things are now in the future as well as old myths or legends mixing with the modern world. On the one hand, possibly due to time restrictions, the story is quite simple but at the same time it's quite powerful.

I don't want to give away any details as I think watching the show not really knowing what to expect is the best action but I really like this show and highly recommend watching it whenever you get a chance.

---

(The following contains Major Spoilers for those who haven't watched this show yet so please don't read if you haven't seen it!)

I have to say I wasn't really surprised at what happened to the girl but more how it happened. Honestly the part after with the shop keeper I think I found much more shocking and surprising.

Even when the show had this more lighthearted flair to it such as the spider girl comedically biting the main girls head or her trying to shoo her away there always felt this pervasive darker tone creeping under everything for me. Due to the origin story and how she was introduced along with things being more blunt such as the visuals of her during the latter part of the story or on the rooftop. I did like how her black twintailed type hair combined with the red ring accessories kind of made the back of her head look like a spider there. Pretty much the whole time I was worried about what was going to happen to the main girl and the guy.

When the web appeared I thought maybe it was all a big red herring perhaps but then of course what happens next didn't really shock me but made me think, OK they went through with it after all. The visuals there with what looked like a large image of a woman and then the giant legs sticking out of the water and closing in are pretty memorable.

I suppose some things are ultimately left vague however. The details around the shop keeper and also did the mother get set free as well or was she supposedly always at the bottom of the lake? That part seems kind of silly if it was to be the latter.

The mother lives in the lake presumably. As for the shop keeper... well, his advice earlier was obviously from experience, lol.

Asu no Yoichi 02

This is really your standard harem, which works. Having brief moments of action help and having a main character that is actually excited over the thoughts of boobs is definitely a plus compared to the more passive protags of other shows.

Geneijin

I personally got a kick out of them discussing classic mystery tropes and dismissing them as plausible/implausible. I felt that the episode encouraged the viewers to play along and think with the characters as to what could or could not have been possible. Its very meta in that there's the mystery and then there's the added layer of thinking WITH the author.

I agree with the no payoff up to that point though.
It flew over me entirely (spoilers).

sonicmj1

The purpose of anime is to present an enjoyable and entertaining story with usually some type of story to convey a few emotions and leave us feeling good when its over. The vast majority of anime that try to do things outside of this tend to fail and be full of issues making them questionable series.

I just find it hard to imagine that people truly interested in thinking about broader themes would want to see that in anime, versus reading it in a novel, seeing a play or musical, or reading some other text. I cant really imagine anyone wanting to see, say The Jungle or Silent Spring or Animal Farm, animated or even an anime attempting to portray the same themes as both works. Only time I could see someone wanting to encounter stuff like that in an anime would be if we wanted to avoid reading the difficult to understand Shakespear/Homer or other really classic literature and have it delivered in a more modernized and easier to understand form with all the fat trimmed off and the most cogent material remaining and focused upon. Actually maybe even most modern literature too, I personally, dont read nothing beyond the young adult fiction(last book read, the final Artemis Fowl).

I think tv drama and live action is a good form to portray these things due to being in real visuals with live people. Not to mention since news stories and such dealing with critical thinking is presented in a non anime form, then we are used to live action conveying themes. Though I do think the large number of tv shows and dramas and some movies could really work better as anime at least the more fantasy orientated ones and even sci fi ones.

You say that you can't imagine people being interested in those books presented as anime. But you also say that you're not even interested in them as books. Yet even though you prefer young adult fiction, many readers enjoy books that tackle difficult, complex themes.

I suspect the same is true with anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't doubt professional seiyuus singing a song is better than faux idols doing it :p But still, the fact that you can enjoy the song without having to slog through AnoHana is a plus for the original in my book.
But the song reaches god levels when you pair it with the dorama.

Glasses are the best accessory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom