• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

The thing to bear in mind is that, for a few years now, it's been permanently at "sale" prices, and is quite frequently end-capped at the likes of HMV, so it gets a lot of eyes on it when other anime titles might not. Purely from the packaging point of view, it looks like something that'd go down easy for someone who only has experience of anime through Ghibli as well, which combined with the price, likely results in a lot of casual purchases purely out of curiosity.

Guilty as charged.

The same is true of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, to an extent at least, though I'm going to imagine that's a better movie than Origin is. Last I heard, TGwLTTs lifetime sales was somewhere in the 70,000+ region, which is pretty great given the size of the market.

And it most certainly is!

Yeah, well, but then I regretted it.

As did I.

Kagami

Tamako Market 3

The main problem I've had with this show so far is that it takes the idea of a slice of life to a fault where we're left following a bunch of characters we don't really know anything of. I'm sure the whole point of the show is that you will learn to love the characters of the market through the bird, but it doesn't make a very interesting first few episodes.

Yep, that's been my issue as well.
K-On! started with easy-to-get-into humor with quickly-graspable character traits, and then went into realistic-ish slice-of-life mode later to flesh out the characters as human beings. Tamako Market skipped the initiation and jumped right into the latter.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
iC6NXHjKNy7tz.gif

"Eeeh really!? He doesn't watch Puchimas? How weak. Only a silly sausage wouldn't watch it. HA HA HA HA!"

QUEEN BLADE REBELLION TV - 11 & 12
Queen%27s%20Blade%20Rebellion%20-%2012.jpg

AH AH AH what a ride .. this rebellion season was very intresting and quite thrilling at times and so silly ..
I'm glad they didn't pull the "friendship and teamwork" card for the finale but instead i got a "magnifique" turn of events that could have been a bad ending.

Still except the mirmir sequences , everything was so queen blade and quite enjoyable ...with a mention for the main character that managed to secure her harem in less than 8 episodes ..that's some fine work !!!

Visually this was mostly perfect with some so intresting animation both in the fighting and in the naughty scenes ..i guess a franchise like queen blade can afford this level of detail considering how everything sells.

QUEEN BLADE REBELLION TV VERDICT ( Season ) : EXCELLENT

i wonder if there is a sequel or an oav that i can watch to pass the time

Kagami

QUEEN BLADE REBELLION TV - 10 aka My female harem lead is enjoying her harem

I wasn't aware that Qb would have went for the harem route and i'm really surprised
I can't think of anything else like it in that regard.
Queen's Blade Rebellion is an actual honest-to-god yuri harem with a harem lead everyone fights over, rather than a bunch of separate pairings and friendships, or a simple trio like Lagrange.

Yep, that's been my issue as well.
K-On! started with easy-to-get-into humor with quickly-graspable character traits, and then went into realistic-ish slice-of-life mode later to flesh out the characters as human beings. Tamako Market skipped the initiation and jumped right into the latter.
Yeah, I was going to mention that by this point in K-ON! we already had a firm grasp on the main cast and their quirks, but I didn't want to keep bringing up K-ON! as a comparison. It's clear that you're supposed to be looking at the market from an outsider's perspective like Dera, but it doesn't feel like we're getting as accustomed to the market as much as the bird is at this point.
I click your links, because I am often rewarded for doing so.
I only choose the best screens.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Queen's Blade Rebellion is an actual honest-to-god yuri harem with a harem lead everyone fights over, rather than a bunch of separate pairings and friendships, or a simple trio like Lagrange.

I am so in. Though its going to be difficult with my Precure marathon.

This is good stuff .. and it's also indeed the first time i see an anime treat the subject that way even in worlds without decent males in other works .

QB is innovating in areas i wasn't aware they needed a rebellion ! ( yuri lead, clothes animation ) and the production values were decently used .

I need another season

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So you've actually watched Puchimas? Because if not you can't really comment because those are not the regular twins.

/XX/

Has there been an anime adaptation of the Bible yet? If so, how bad is it?
Mr. Dezaki continuing after Mr. Tezuka to complete the task entrusted by the Vatican in The Bible Stories ('Historias de La Biblia', as it was know here in Spain for the TVE emission) is a quite epic story in itself. I remember seeing fragments of it a long time ago, but it is apparently still respected and shared by 'catequistas' around the country, so it must be a good adaptation for them!

So do they ever explain why they can't just ask the writer directly? I mean, they're not dead. Are they in a coma or something?
Yeah, and 'Why didn't she ask EBA?' is even the subtitle of the second volume!

Theonik

Mr. Dezaki continuing after Mr. Tezuka to complete the task entrusted by the Vatican in The Bible Stories ('Historias de La Biblia', as it was know here in Spain for the TVE emission) is a quite epic story in itself. I remember seeing fragments of it a long time ago, but it is apparently still respected and shared by 'catequistas' around the country, so it must be a good adaptation for them!
Does it present the Spanish inquisition as white knights of justice by any chance?

Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun 05

A much more down-low episode. They did explain some things, just some things, introduced to a new god and a new girl. While it wasn't mostly words, they kept it at a good pace where you weren't drowned by it so that's good.

The Unlimited 5

Amusement park episode. Not much action, but some important stuff for future developments, like who Andy decides to ally with. Also some foreshadowing I wasn't expecting in a non-canon spin-off (or I assume it isn't canon).

/XX/

http://blog-imgs-51.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/E1359390830031_1s.jpg

This is interesting. Tamako Market is on the cover of Cut Magazine. This is not an anime magazine. Its a legit pop culture magazine that regularly features actors/musicians/idols on the cover.
On the other hand, it's nice to know that KyoAni's shows are in a position where a pop culture magazine feels comfortable to place KyoAni's shows on its cover. Maybe KyoAni shows aren't as otaku-niche as people are sometimes led to believe, hahahaha!
Yeah. I was thinking that as well, because the last animation-related cover I remember from CUT was for The Borrower Arrietty (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003Y7SQZW/), where Mr. Miyazaki also talked about possibilities for Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie, as an illustrated graphic novel continuation and all that. Then again, that was the time when said film was featured on other non-specialized, well-considered magazines like BRUTUS (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003U7G9A0/), so links created by good promotion campaigns give more easy access to such mediums when you need them more.

I think I also know either kayos' first or last name thanks to IRC. Out of politeness, I won't mention it here.
Just searching for 'kayos90 twitter' gives away that information!
It is not exactly hidden so I assume he doesn't mind (kayos90, tell me it if isn't O.K. to show it here and you want this reply removed).

Correct. The source here is Yomiuri Online though, so it's not some rumor blog or anything. The entire article has been pulled, so either it was completely incorrect, or they jumped the gun on something which wasn't supposed to be official yet. Hopefully it's the former.
I don't know what I want to happen on this matter for that Mr. Takahata's movie; he is a kind of perfectionist that I'm sure could take advantage of that additional time, but above all I'm not sure it is a good idea putting the two upcoming films head-to-head on theaters... I think this delay could be a good thing for it.

That reminds me Manuel Cristóbal (Arrugas' film producer) paid a visit on March to Studio Ghibli, being received precisely by Mr. Takahata, Ignacio Ferreras' (Arrugas film director) role-model... and they didn't show him much more than backgrounds and imageboards! They sure keep the movie under wraps:

Generación GHIBLI: Manuel Cristóbal: "Cuando me dijeron 'el maestro Takahata le recibirá a las cuatro' me puse un poco nervioso. Fue tremendamente agradable"
http://generacionghibli.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/manuel-cristobal-cuando-me-dijeron-el.html

Articalys

Today they announced an Amnesia fan event to be held in August, for which the tickets will be in the BD/DVD LEs for volume 1 and 2.

This had the somewhat predictable side-effect of immediately skyrocketing the Amazon preorder rankings of those volumes to varying degrees, with the volume 1 DVDs leaping from 5,903 into the top 100, and volume 2 going from 10,299 to 111.

Today they announced an Amnesia fan event to be held in August, for which the tickets will be in the BD/DVD LEs for volume 1 and 2.

This had the somewhat predictable side-effect of immediately skyrocketing the Amazon preorder rankings of those volumes to varying degrees, with the volume 1 DVDs leaping from 5,903 into the top 100, and volume 2 going from 10,299 to 111.
tumblr_mh2n7dCW4V1rgiwdao1_250.jpg

Hopefully like Arcana Famiglia, they announce Amnesia is getting some bonus episode.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Hataraki Man] 05
This episode was adorkable.

The most impressive thing about this show has to be how well-rounded it manages to make the accompanying cast in such a short time span. You really feel like Mayu-chan has gone from one place to another in the twenty or so minutes this lasts.

DiGiKerot

Is Overman King Gainer any good?

It's OK. It's one of those shows which fully goes with Mr Tomino's habit of dropping people straight into the thick of things without ever actually stopping to adequately explain things, though, so whilst it's never quite as impenetrably obtuse as Brain Powerd can get at times, you've got to be willing to put up with being somewhat confused for a few episodes up front.

It's mostly just pretty fun, though - if it wasn't being weird about things, it'd be a pretty decent slice of undemanding fun, but some of the Tomino-isms just serve to rob it of the "undemanding" part. It's not that it's got any kind of actual depth to it, it's just that it actually demands attention to follow, even though it's mostly (somewhat deliberately) pretty dumb.

I dunno, though - it's one of those shows I, personally, got great entertainment out of watching, but at the same time I really can't put into words why I actually enjoyed it, and certainly can't give any kind of explanation that I could use to actually recommend it to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom