• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

It's OK. It's one of those shows which fully goes with Mr Tomino's habit of dropping people straight into the thick of things without ever actually stopping to adequately explain things, though, so whilst it's never quite as impenetrably obtuse as Brain Powerd can get at times, you've got to be willing to put up with being somewhat confused for a few episodes up front.

Surely you should have just gone all the way and said Garzey's Wing!

Narag

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman 5

Jesus christ why doesn't that dog have teeth

Last two eps have been a stark improvement over the first three though as if the humor and atmosphere is being nailed correctly at last.

Steroyd

I hate these damn twins.

SPc1K0r.gif

They're only having fun.

DiGiKerot

Uhhh...
GO watch it.
Right now!

Yeah... my brain is so frazzled right now I can barely make it through an episode of Smile Precure. I think watching full-on, undiluted Tomino right now would cause more brain damage than it would even under normal circumstances.

Mr. RHC

Hellooo AnimeGaf, do you have a comprehensive list of all the animes coming out this year? fake edit: beside the one in the OP.

Is anything coming out this year in the veins of Space Brothers or Arakawa under the Bridge, GTO or something genuinely funny or emotional you'd recommend?

Thanks for the heads up!

Narag

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 5

Demon girl was as adorable as the rest of the ep was ugly although I had a soft spot for the watercolor backgrounds. I sort of think rushing the whole war aspect early on caused me to not really give a shit about any of it and god damn if Female Knight doesn't have some onscreen presence.. I have no fucking clue how a year passed in 3 eps though.

Metrotab

Banned
Winter Backlog Anonymous: Hataraki Man - 5

Man, being a rookie editor must suck. Submit this awesome idea for an article and see someone else get the scoop.

This episode was very effective at building character.

Dresden

So, Kaze Tachinu. Glorious comeback of handdrawn mechanical animation, or disappointment of the century?

It's either a return to porcine glory or just another proof of his senility.

I'm optimistic (at least, I like what I've heard of its premise and hopefully it's a more focused affair than Howl's) though.

Jex

Yeah... my brain is so frazzled right now I can barely make it through an episode of Smile Precure. I think watching full-on, undiluted Tomino right now would cause more brain damage than it would even under normal circumstances.

Well, that's probably for the best. Garzey's Wing has been known to cause permanent damage to 7/10 viewers.

Hellooo AnimeGaf, do you have a comprehensive list of all the animes coming out this year? fake edit: beside the one in the OP.

Is anything coming out this year in the veins of Space Brothers or Arakawa under the Bridge, GTO or something genuinely funny or emotional you'd recommend?

Thanks for the heads up!

You could browse the spring 2013 anime chart for spring for something you may anticipate. But I dont think much has been dated beyond that. Space Bros is continuing into spring.

Gundam AGE Episode 41 or "The one where they're fighting on the Moon...again"

The mobile suit of the week is a very silly looking Qubeley clone. With a stick that can control bits and shoot laser whip. I half expected it to have a 30 second transformation sequence like most of those magical girl shows.

You can tell I didn't really pay much attension to this episode because I was too busy making stuff up about the episode.

I still like
how Asemu can ignore Flit's orders because he's a pirate. Take that genocidal maniac!

Next Episode:
A Yellow Gundam Appears. With the episode title piloting it.

Mitsuho

Banned
Surely you mean "Aw yis".

This is my default too... but I've never read any of Inio's work.

Anyone read the interview? It seems like Inio is just looking to interview cross-dressers for a new work and made a remark that they are discouraged that they aren't well suited to girl's clothes. Limited to just an insufficient experience remark?

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
This is my default too... but I've never read any of Inio's work.

Anyone read the interview? It seems like Inio is just looking to interview cross-dressers for a new work and made a remark that they are discouraged that they aren't well suited to girl's clothes. Limited to just an insufficient experience remark?

Probably a bad translation, but it sounds like he said that without a sex change, women's clothing didn't look good on him personally.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Done with Tsuritama, done with Birdy.

Someone help me pick my next show:

Seirei no Moribito, Texhnolyze, and Toradora! are all waiting to be seen as well as several others. Or make a recommendation! For reference here is my (incomplete) MAL, not everything I have seen is on the list (still excluding some OVAs/Movies and some older series), but it should get the gist.

Seirei no Moribito, Texhnolyze, and Toradora! are all waiting to be seen as well as several others. Or make a recommendation! For reference here is my (incomplete) MAL, not everything I have seen is on the list (still excluding some OVAs/Movies and some older series), but it should get the gist.

I feel obligated to choose Toradora considering it's my favorite anime. I also feel obligated to say Strike Witches because Strike Witches.

Nafe

Doki Doki PreCure!

Episode 1

xZbabXD.jpg

Personally I think I like Rikka the best.

My turn. For context I've only watched about the first half of the first Pretty Cure and all of Smile PreCure!

The opening hook with it's action piece I liked. It seemed to have decent enough animation, although the camera also seemed to be more zoomed out to not show as much detail on Cure Sword during those times to me. The monster designs are okay I guess. The Akanbe weren't very good and of what I can remember of the first PreCure they were just kind of so-so there as well. I actually quite liked the music during the pre-opening scene but honestly don't really remember it during the rest of the episode. Right now I'm not sure what to think of the opening. I don't think I like it as much as Smile's but we'll see if it grows on me. It's only the first episode after all.

I definitely don't like the character designs as much as Smile's. I like Rikka the best in both forms and I prefer Cure Sword in her transformed state. I'm not sure about Clover yet and I'm not really a big fan either of Heart's looks. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I hate them but I'm not really a big fan either. I don't mind the idea of someone being a "do gooder" type and can see promoting that with children but Mana maybe goes a little too far. The way she was scolding the monster and not even seeming really phased was a bit silly. With the theme of Selfishness though the extremity of her personality could be done on purpose just how with Smile Miyuki was shown to be a pretty outgoing and happy individual to promote the idea of happiness and smiling.

(Mild Smile PreCure! spoilers)
Just how Miyuki was later shown to be actually really shy when she was younger and then certain events made her more outgoing, it's possible Mana was more selfish and has since changed her ways.
Basically, with only having seen just the first episode, things may not be as they appear.

With Rikka being voiced by Minako Kotobuki, I was wondering if she would maybe use the type of voice she uses for Mugi in K-On. Her voice is a bit different and I like it but at times you can hear her drift into that more Mugi like tone. The oujosama type Clover girl,Alice, is voiced by Mai Fuchigami, who does the voice of Miho in Girls und Panzer so it'll be interesting to hear her in a more reserved character role like that. Cure Sword really didn't show much personality or depth but she fulfills that cool, mysterious loner type who is a good fighter so naturally people will be drawn to her. She seems to be the only one doing anything so far.

The transformation sequence I thought was kind of average. Maybe not awful but nothing really stand out either. Mascots are okay I guess for now but I'm not really a big fan of the design of that little baby looking character. Maybe when they actually appear they'll be okay personality wise but I don't like the look.

The theme of selfishness could be interesting. It does come across as kind of silly this episode that the evil in his heart was simply cutting in line. I suppose the demographic is younger children though and you want to instill good morals in them. Part of me thinks it's actually not as crazy as it sounds because it's amazing how many people won't even do you the simple act of kindness of taking two extra seconds out of their busy lives to hold the door for you and are more than content with letting it shutting right in your face. Common sense and common courtesy seem to be increasingly rare commodities in people these days.

The villains designs aren't as good as Smile either. I liked the girls look better than the guys but neither of them had the presence that Wolfrun had. Right from the first episode I liked him and thought he made a good baddie but not as much from these two. Again, maybe more the woman but we'll see what the guy with glasses is like. I didn't really mind their bickering as I think it works into the theme of Selfishness. Even if they're on the same team they'd rather take the glory for themselves. It's not like the PreCure baddies didn't have their moments of not wanting to work together either.

Maybe PreCure has corrupted me with it's CG or Mad Pierrot is nuts but I actually really like Doki Doki's ending. Both the visuals and the music. I like the ending them better than the opening theme personally.

Overall it was an okay episode I guess. Not really horrible but not really that great either.

Mitsuho

Banned

Toradora! was a good comedy. Bump Duradura!! up on your plan-to-watch if you want something with a little more action tho. Gankutsuou was really good; liked the clothing.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
There is a lack of Space Brothers.

Tried to get into it, watched up to maybe episode 10 or so, and just got bored of the pace. It wasn't bad though.

Polar Bear Cafe

Saw a few episodes. Cute, but I prefer more story driven series (usually, anyways).

I also feel obligated to say Strike Witches because Strike Witches.

I'm already watching Vividred as it airs, and I think that alone is putting enough stress on my wife :p

Mitsuho

Banned
Probably a bad translation.

Noted.

Solanin, which is pretty short (two volumes), then you can read Oyasumi Punpun.
Solanin would be the best place to start. After that check out A Girl by the Sea, Nijigahara Holograph and Goodnight Punpun.

Appreciation sent.

It's what happened to me, it'll happen to you!

You know what's hip. Not like that weird and strange stuff.

Ultimadrago

Senran Kagura 5

Humiliat-ality!

It would seem Asuka has finally figured out that Homura-chan love was a
. The lesson is: Never make friends because one of them will eventually be a dark shinobi.

In-between the dark vs. light talk (whatever), the most compelling question: How many weapons/items will Mirai summon from her snatch skirt and which will be the coolest in the end?

There was also a Shinobi Barrier with a beansprout skin...huh.

GaoGaiGar 1

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Doki Doki PreCure!

The opening hook with it's action piece I liked. It seemed to have decent enough animation
I know I sound like a broken record here, but this is the part where I butt in and urge you to watch the first episode of Heartcatch Precure! at least, even if you are not interested on continuing with that show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom